Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The VP of the company I was just fired from, who's the grandson of the founder of the company (can you guess who the Pres is?), apparently doesn't think it's a problem that, let's count them... 11 total full-time people have been fired and/or have resigned in the last month, 9 of which are BIPOC femmes, and 2 white queer/NB folks. That leaves...

*maths sounds*

Five BIPOC full-timers? Two of whom were recent-ish hires/promotions to "diversify" their all-white/white-presenting management and HR teams. I'd reckon there's about 50 full-time folks across the whole company.

Yeah, definitely not a problem my guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A Stupid Baby posted:

They were constantly doing that "don't discuss this with coworkers" about raises promotions and other compensation at my last position.

I think the reasoning is that it's better negotiating position for the employer if the employees don't share information, and also "prevents drama" (management doesn't get yelled at much by people unhappy with their relative compensation or have to adhere to some concrete rubric for same)

I usually just went ahead and discussed whatever it was with everyone who wasn't a weird narc and it never really became a problem, but of course how well that works probably varies wildly depending on your boss's temperament.

Yeah the contract at my job actually has it written that we are not to share our salary info with anybody, but at several company drinking events my colleagues have gotten together and compared salaries. However recently a number of us are being promoted and others not so its going to be a bit awkward if that happens again and suddenly some of us are making 20k more and are permanent while others are still on the old rate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ccs posted:

Yeah the contract at my job actually has it written that we are not to share our salary info with anybody, but at several company drinking events my colleagues have gotten together and compared salaries. However recently a number of us are being promoted and others not so its going to be a bit awkward if that happens again and suddenly some of us are making 20k more and are permanent while others are still on the old rate.

Ianal but there's a really good chance that the clause doesn't hold water and they jammed it in there hoping noone would challenge it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
One of the few nice things* about being a government employee is having every single person’s salary be publicly available. So much bullshit avoided that way.

*doesn’t really make up for the endless wrangling with an overwhelmingly overgrown bureaucracy, but I’ll take a small victory.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

I hope more and more of their workers unionize.

Weird to come out and say "We put a lot of time and research into evaluating exactly how much we can get away with exploiting you"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Don't worry! Starbucks has a plan for dealing with those unions! They're getting into NFTs (this is not a joke. The same weird ghoul who tried to run for president in 2020 put this forward as a strategy to stop unionization).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

how many bored apes do I have to buy for a free coffee?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Escape From Noise posted:

Don't worry! Starbucks has a plan for dealing with those unions! They're getting into NFTs (this is not a joke. The same weird ghoul who tried to run for president in 2020 put this forward as a strategy to stop unionization).

How does NFTs stop unionization? Do they force you to run the stores so bad they close, then no employees to unionize?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Orvin posted:

How does NFTs stop unionization? Do they force you to run the stores so bad they close, then no employees to unionize?

Schultz probably heard “smart contract” and went “gently caress yeah, we need these instead of all the stupid contracts the unions want.”

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

gschmidl posted:

If getting health insurance, 38.5 hour work weeks, automatic unionisation, an automatic collective bargaining agreement, 6 weeks of vacation, infinite sick days, and several company-paid retirement/unemployment buffers means I can't talk about my income, I'll take that over pretty much literally everything else in this thread.

I've also never heard of anyone actually getting fired for it. It's culturally Not Done even with non-colleagues, or family.

I find it fascinating that this is the cade in Austria, north of the border talking about it is not culturally very established but we have the right to it.

That said i feel like the younger generation of millennials and younger are changing this quickly, personally I know most salaries of my friends and contemporaries almost down to the euro, and we're often advising each other on salary negotiations and benefits and so on.

Absolutely no idea about my colleagues though, as the average age is above 40.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Orvin posted:

I think it was more "Don't unionize! We're gonna do NFTs. Isn't that way cooler than unionization?" because somehow digital currency makes unions obsolete or something?
https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7ny7x/starbucks-ceo-announces-nfts-to-workers-amid-union-drive

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Goddamn that guy is a dumb idiot, how the gently caress does he survive putting pants on?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DreadUnknown posted:

Goddamn that guy is a dumb idiot, how the gently caress does he survive putting pants on?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

gschmidl posted:

If getting health insurance, 38.5 hour work weeks, automatic unionisation, an automatic collective bargaining agreement, 6 weeks of vacation, infinite sick days, and several company-paid retirement/unemployment buffers means I can't talk about my income, I'll take that over pretty much literally everything else in this thread.

I've also never heard of anyone actually getting fired for it. It's culturally Not Done even with non-colleagues, or family.
In my experience, the US also has a pretty strong cultural norm against discussing it. Outside of my spouse or my parents, I don't think I've ever had a conversation about my actual salary with anyone, nor has anyone brought up their salary to me. The closest is a vague "my new job pays me a lot more!" or something along those lines without actual numbers.

And even though I work for companies with government contracts so it's easy to tell what people's salaries are, it's not something that I've ever really discussed with people at work either.

Maybe if I was at a company that was actively unionizing, it'd be different, but just in casual conversation, salaries just aren't something I've seen people bring up.

DreadUnknown posted:

He definitely is a dumb idiot.

But the NFT thing comes from the fact he also believes his employees are dumb idiots, so he can dangle the shiny object of N-F-T to distract them from realizing that company scrip StarbucksCoin isn't the same thing as collective bargaining.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

evilpicard posted:

It must own living in a country with so many anti-worker laws that people commonly mix them up

It's less the number than the decades of Republicans passing laws with Orwellian names. We're so used to laws named The Protect Children Act that literally grind toddlers into fuel for yachts that people reflexively associate "right to work" with the law that makes it easy to fire you.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DreadUnknown posted:

Like most major company executives that have hung around too long he's completely lost touch with reality. He sees the employees at a number of stores organizing and thinks the answer is buzzwords because the actual work of making Starbucks successful happened 20-30 years ago when the company innovated by offering expressos and aping the independent coffee store feel instead of being a white lights and linoleum tile Dunkin' clone. So now NFTs are popular and so that is the answer to his unionization problem. Paying people more, providing better benefits, worker protection policies? None of that poo poo, here's a Bored Barista NFT. It's value is nothing, but we spent like $300 to mint it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Escape From Noise posted:

I think it was more "Don't unionize! We're gonna do NFTs. Isn't that way cooler than unionization?" because somehow digital currency makes unions obsolete or something?
https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7ny7x/starbucks-ceo-announces-nfts-to-workers-amid-union-drive

Good to know that guy is so brain damaged he is self sabotaging. Anyone with half a brain cell is going to see that and fight harder for union protections before the company starts slashing after it loses it shirt in the crypto grift space.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Outrail posted:

Ianal but there's a really good chance that the clause doesn't hold water and they jammed it in there hoping noone would challenge it.

It probably won't. In fact, just that clause in the contract is, in the USA, worth reporting to the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). It is explicitly illegal to ban workers comparing pay rates, one of the few solid workforce protections we have.

Frankly, I think NLRB agents should be federal law enforcement with badges, guns, and ornery attitudes recruited from the IWW.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

In my experience, the US also has a pretty strong cultural norm against discussing it. Outside of my spouse or my parents, I don't think I've ever had a conversation about my actual salary with anyone, nor has anyone brought up their salary to me. The closest is a vague "my new job pays me a lot more!" or something along those lines without actual numbers.

And even though I work for companies with government contracts so it's easy to tell what people's salaries are, it's not something that I've ever really discussed with people at work either.

Maybe if I was at a company that was actively unionizing, it'd be different, but just in casual conversation, salaries just aren't something I've seen people bring up.

He definitely is a dumb idiot.

But the NFT thing comes from the fact he also believes his employees are dumb idiots, so he can dangle the shiny object of N-F-T to distract them from realizing that company scrip StarbucksCoin isn't the same thing as collective bargaining.

Yeah, in the US it's long been seen as uncouth to discuss salary, although from what I've seen in this thread that appears like it might be getting a foothold in Europe, too.

Personally I often don't have a good idea what my pay is, since I get paid hourly and my wage keeps gradually going up. I often only really have a concrete idea when I do my taxes and see my annual income, otherwise I operate in a more vague space where I know a ballpark amount of how much I get per check but it is always a little bit of a surprise what the exact amount is. Off the top of my head I couldn't say exactly what my hourly rate is, which might just be a quirk of how my brain works.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Outrail posted:

It's definitely this, I worked for an MSP that had some garbage about "not working for competitors" in the contract & it held as much water as a busted sieve. Plenty of people left to go to other competing companies, the only real "rule" they could enforce was former employees not poaching existing clients. Didn't matter to me anyways, after 5 years of below-average salaries & being tethered to a work phone that had to be on 24/7, no loving way was I ever going to another MSP :lol:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I interviewed for a job today where they asked me the same stupid brainteaser questions that Google said were utterly useless back in 2013.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

McGavin posted:

I interviewed for a job today where they asked me the same stupid brainteaser questions that Google said were utterly useless back in 2013.

HOW MANY WINDOWS ARE THERE IN NEW YORK CITY
WHY IS A MANHOLE COVER ROUND
I AM A BUSINESS GENIOUS WITH A MBA

edit why does every mba put that poo poo in their email signature and on their card? i have a real ma in education and i dont brag about it

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

McGavin posted:

Was it build me a house or make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

boar guy posted:

Trick question, New York City is a fictional location created in 1972 as a tx dodge.

quote:

They're not actually round, you only perceive them so because those are the only dimensions that the manhole covers are able to exhibit in our reality.

When do I start? :smug:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zil posted:

Was it build me a house or make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

I actually had the peanut butter sandwich question, but it was for a tech support job, so they wanted to see how well people can walk someone through a task that you'd think everyone should already know (Much like how to change a password or knowing what application you're using instead of answering "What is the application you are having an issue with?" by giving the manufacturer of the monitor you're looking at)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the pbj is a really excellent thought exercise for like...6th graders. probably why mbas love it

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I don't know what the PB&J question is, although I can infer. I just realized I haven't really had a job interview, or updated my resume, in the 11 years or so since I joined the Union. I've changed companies and gotten promotions, but it's always been someone I've worked with before calling.me and asking, Hey want to work over here now?

I'm the idiot. I should write a resume.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ironhead posted:

I don't know what the PB&J question is, although I can infer.

"How do you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

Also, in my case it was at the end of a pretty good interview and one of the interviewers was just like "Ya know, I've never asked this before, but it's on the list, so why not?"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the pbj question is just 'explain how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich' and usually starts with the (kid) saying 'well you get some peanut butter and you put it on some bread' and then the teacher, having done their mise-en-place and using visual aids, grabs a whole unopened jar of peanut butter and places it on top of a whole unopened loaf of bread, everyone giggles, and the students get the point of breaking down the task in to steps and explaining each of them. it's a very very very basic thought exercise

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I recently went through a few interviews with larger tech companies and a large utility. There were some HR-type questions forced in about conflict situations with peers and management and how the interviewee would/should react.
But the vast majority consisted of a bunch of technical questions about my own background and practical examples for me to work through.

what really helped with those interviews were the ten years at my then-current job where I was frequently participating in interviews of candidates in very similar formats. I didn't like participating at the time as I usually had other things to do, but it really did wonders for my own interview confidence and performance

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Going to be exciting when we are still explaining the solution to the light bulb problem because we googled it before the interview and the light bulb problem solution has stopped making sense because every lightbulb is an LED.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the manhole cover one is especially stupid, at least in the application i'm familiar with- this was a long time ago when you couldn't just google everything but the person interviewing me at the time said they asked it to see not only how someone would react to there being a definitive answer and them not knowing it but also the interviewer definitely knowing the answer, but not telling them

didnt last long at that one, haha

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

They are square in my country, so that's one stupid interview question less to deal with.

naem
May 29, 2011

boar guy posted:

edit why does every mba put that poo poo in their email signature and on their card? i have a real ma in education and i dont brag about it

I have an MFA and talk about it on the internet

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

naem posted:

I have an MFA and talk about it on the internet

in Materials?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

boar guy posted:

in one of my first MBA classes, we were asked to estimate what coffee shop had the most locations worldwide and a second year said it was probably Peet's because our college town in NorCal had 3 locations. That was when my Imposter Syndrome disappeared.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not familiar with the manhole cover question, and haven't Googled it, but isn't it round because a manhole is round? Am I missing something?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I think the "right" answer is so it won't fall in

But the real answer is probably just because the hole is round / it's always been done that way and no one knows why

I'm not googling to find out for real though becasuse these questions are bad and anyone using them in an interview is bad

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mllaneza posted:

Frankly, I think NLRB agents should be federal law enforcement with badges, guns, and ornery attitudes recruited from the IWW.

'NLRB agents use of deadly force in no knock raid on Amazon board of directors meeting was justified, claims NLRB spokesman. In an NLRB statement released earlier this afternoon: "Agents stated they saw the vice chair reaching for a gun, and the situation quickly devolved resulting in deaths of eight board members. Maybe they should have stopped illegally abusing their workers and this wouldn't happen. We're doing Walmart next week, it's gonna be off the hook.".'

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Outrail posted:

'NLRB agents use of deadly force in no knock raid on Amazon board of directors meeting was justified, claims NLRB spokesman. In an NLRB statement released earlier this afternoon: "Agents stated they saw the vice chair reaching for a gun, and the situation quickly devolved resulting in deaths of eight board members. Maybe they should have stopped illegally abusing their workers and this wouldn't happen. We're doing Walmart next week, it's gonna be off the hook.".'

"I had to shoot him, he was reaching for a pink slip."