Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Brandfarlig posted:

Each ion is surrounded by 6 opposites so not really, no.

I mean, if we get extremely nitpicky, being near six chlorine ions means it's also true that it's near two.

But yeah when you mention it that is kind of obvious. I blame posting before I wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Computer viking posted:

I don't offhand remember the crystal structure of NaCl (cubic in some variation, right?), but I feel like this is arguably correct?

It's face-centered cubic, so each Na+ has six adjacent Cl-.

e:fb

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 hours!)

Regarde Aduck posted:

This explains so much

I know, chemists do dumb things, right? Thankfully no long term issues (yet) decades later.

Heck in Junior School I made a model volcano with potassium dichromate and magnesium powder. There was a science store downtown you could just go in and buy chemicals.

I've handled carbon tetrachloride as a teen, in school.

The poo poo we used to do as kids. Alas those days are gone.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FFT posted:

Needs some coltan (niobium/tantalum) for completion if The Sarah Connor Chronicles are canon

I didn't even get into the electronics side. Tantalum, cadmium, lithium, lead, tin, gold, silver, mercury.

Or being the weird kid with the one-volume Encyclopedia Brittanica from the early 1900s (and parents that gave me good supervision). No more elements (except Sulphur), but saltpeter, lignum vitae, gum arabic, washing soda, nitre, chalk, potash. Those kinds of things.

Being a Renaissance Man has interesting side effects.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Everyone considers themselves a Renaissance Man until it's time to double check the LD50 of lead-sweetened laudanum.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nerobro posted:

Gentle reminder, you breathe due to CO2, not the lack of O2. As long as there's a small enough concentration of CO2 you won't notice a thing and then it's blackness.
Flashback to that Cody's Lab video where he breathes some heavy gasses to show what they do to his voice and get a blank look for a moment then goes "I don't remember what I just said..." :stonk:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Collateral Damage posted:

Flashback to that Cody's Lab video where he breathes some heavy gasses to show what they do to his voice and get a blank look for a moment then goes "I don't remember what I just said..." :stonk:

This will always be the turning point for Cody's Lab, for me.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

The whole reason I enjoy Cody is he does it, so we don't have to. :-) We have NileRed for the tamer stuff.

What shocks me, is that video is 2021...

Edit: Oh, that's from someone re-uploading his video. Hah. Explains Canyon as the cameraperson.

Nerobro has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Apr 5, 2022

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Nerobro posted:

Edit: Oh, that's from someone re-uploading his video. Hah. Explains Canyon as the cameraperson.

That re-upload channel is kind of greatest hits of his yikes videos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Is Cody still alive?

Last thing I saw about him was that his girlfriend/wife left him because she didn't want to live in a murkry mine and he seemed to be in a pretty bad place as a result

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

`Nemesis posted:

The brain is such a weird thing, lithium proved to be critical in my "don't kill yourself" drug cocktail, it was a game changer.

I don't know if this is apocryphal, but it was the "Up" part of 7-Up in its original formulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Up#History

quote:

The product, originally named "Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda", was launched two weeks before the Wall Street Crash of 1929.[2] It contained lithium citrate, a mood-stabilizing drug, until 1948.[3][4] It was one of a number of patent medicine products popular in the late-19th and early-20th centuries. Its name was later shortened to "7 Up Lithiated Lemon Soda" before being further shortened to just "7 Up" by 1936.[5]

Also there is at least one study from Japan that indicates slightly elevated levels of naturally-occurring lithium in drinking water reduces incidences of suicide:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3863886/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

Is Cody still alive?

Last thing I saw about him was that his girlfriend/wife left him because she didn't want to live in a murkry mine and he seemed to be in a pretty bad place as a result

Posted a new video April 1 about using space rocks to dig a deep enough hole on mars to have an outside experience.

I .. uh.. thought the process of Canyon leaving was what lead to him going whole hog on Chickenhole base. She's got her own youtube channel, posts a couple times a year. Cody definitely had a real time of it, with the separation. Covid didn't make matters ay better.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nerobro posted:

Gentle reminder, you breathe due to CO2, not the lack of O2. As long as there's a small enough concentration of CO2 you won't notice a thing and then it's blackness.

We just did this upthread. That is the case under normal conditions, but under prolonged hypoxia your body does indeed start to worry about the O2 level in your blood.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In my lane. Focused. Flourishing.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

Definitely not part of training to invade Ukraine: whatever you do, do not dig poo poo holes in the red forest you stupid idiots.

But Mark said it was OK,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CvzBu5sTps

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don't know if this is apocryphal, but it was the "Up" part of 7-Up in its original formulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Up#History

Also there is at least one study from Japan that indicates slightly elevated levels of naturally-occurring lithium in drinking water reduces incidences of suicide:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3863886/

And of course the 7 part is the atomic mass of Lithium.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

If the right kind of people are making money doing a thing then surely the thing cannot be bad.

just the most loving correct thing for today's world jfc

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Unbothered. Moisturized. Happy. In my lane. Focused. Flourishing.

A pig.
In a cage.
On antibiotics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if it's really chemistry but spil-aid really is magical stuff.

Someone slopped detergent all over the floor at work and I was dreading trying to clean it up but mercifully I found a packet of the stuff, and had to sense to look for it rather than trying a mop.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if it's really chemistry but spil-aid really is magical stuff.

Someone slopped detergent all over the floor at work and I was dreading trying to clean it up but mercifully I found a packet of the stuff, and had to sense to look for it rather than trying a mop.

Wow I've never even heard of the stuff and I can just imagine bunches of uses for it. More absorbent than clay, they say.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

More absorbent than clay, they say.

My brain absolutely refused to read this sentence in something other than the voice of Professor Farnsworth.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Placeholder posted:

My brain absolutely refused to read this sentence in something other than the voice of Professor Farnsworth.

How's his wife holding up? More absorbent than clay, you say?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well I guess this explains the radiation poisoning. Christ.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1511652131387891712?s=20&t=11LSHqoMVzvJWDsIfO1QFA

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The pan to sarcophagus and back is great camera work by the drone pilot.

Zil has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Apr 6, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
yeah if you're going into the red forest you really wanna have a couple of urchins on your belt, or at least a bunch of thorns, but the local stalkers probably picked them all up already.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was waiting for a train to pass yesterday and started looking up the UN numbers as the tank cars passed. 2032 looked exciting nitric acid, red fuming

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GWBBQ posted:

I was waiting for a train to pass yesterday and started looking up the UN numbers as the tank cars passed. 2032 looked exciting nitric acid, red fuming

Please tell me the train was going nowhere near populated areas. Lie, if you have to.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Kwyndig posted:

Please tell me the train was going nowhere near populated areas. Lie, if you have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

It definitely wasn't going through the west side of Tuscaloosa!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

GWBBQ posted:

It definitely wasn't going through the west side of Tuscaloosa!

Well, I guess I’m not flaggin' the train to Tuscaloosa.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

LA, NYC, Houston, Savannah, where do you think the marine terminals and thus the associated wheeled haz lots are?

:rubby:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm just having a perfectly (not) rational meltdown over a train loaded with rocket fuel heading to an unknown destination somewhere in the country.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

I'm just having a perfectly (not) rational meltdown over a train loaded with rocket fuel heading to an unknown destination somewhere in the country.

Can’t even really know if the destination was in this country.

Also it’s on a train. It’s intermodal. Intermodal haz shipments are the ones that have a chance of being inspected in a terminal. So they tend to be more likely to be properly secured. But it’s not like there are many people doing those inspections.

There’s so much haz being transported. And craploads of it just uh sitting around in CFS and terminals too.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kwyndig posted:

would you feel better if we called it rocket oxidizer?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"Currently stable liquid"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

silentsnack posted:

would you feel better if we called it rocket oxidizer?

Not really, some oxidizers are really nasty.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just call it “propellant”.

That sounds harmless.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah anything in 5 is a fussy bitch to transport. Some of the organic peroxides have sub hazards and additional requirements based on concentration nobody checks because it’s in a different table and lol the computer stowage programs aren’t able to.

Calcium hypochlorite has been the cause of a few recent vessel fires too.

Bar Ran Dun has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Apr 7, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FFT posted:

"Currently stable liquid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some MBA took the wrong lesson from that passage in Ignition!.

https://twitter.com/KevinHBell/status/1508549002740084744