Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol yeah sure I'm a game designer and I'm gonna do some compression of world geography rather than putting in some fake buildings to give a sense of scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, the game does not compress terrain. Place a beacon on the huge tree in the middle of Caria manor and then walk around while observing both the tree and beacon. They will move in unison because the marker is placed in the correct spot. Place another beacon in the chasm and watch how it moves in relation to the other beacon and the manor, and you'll see that the beacons are actually placed correctly. It's just a perspective trick since the beacon doesn't make contact with the ground in either case and is just this abstract shining light. It's hard to see where exactly it is in the distance while stationary, but it's easier to see when moving.

Yeah the beacons don't necessarily go all the way down to intersect the ground, so they were misleading for me sometimes when there was a big height difference. But at the same time they are infinitely tall and go all the way underground?? They're weird.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

crepeface posted:

lol yeah sure I'm a game designer and I'm gonna do some compression of world geography rather than putting in some fake buildings to give a sense of scale

It is a simplified model to prevent your graphics card from exploding any more then it does already.
Speedrunners have been using those since at least ds1.
The move swap all rememberances is the only current route that uses those right now in elden ring afaik. They use the pegasus glitch to enter the simplified version of stormveil castle from liurnia.

The way they interact with waypoints is the only thing that has changed since the previous games. And the only part that is debated.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

Even Souls 1 & 3 (particularly 3) used low-LoD models, rather than fictitious ones. Think the main exception was the ruins in the distance at the end of the Ringed City. This is not new. ER is just more systematic about this, and things you see in the distance can virtually always be reached.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

It is a simplified model to prevent your graphics card from exploding any more then it does already.
Speedrunners have been using those since at least ds1.
The move swap all rememberances is the only current route that uses those right now in elden ring afaik. They use the pegasus glitch to enter the simplified version of stormveil castle from liurnia.

The way they interact with waypoints is the only thing that has changed since the previous games. And the only part that is debated.

All you're describing are LOD models, something that every game uses. That has nothing to do with changing the actual size/scale of the geography, which I'm positive isn't happening here.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 6, 2022

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Made a fourth character (I have a disease) for dex/arcane junk. Am I correct that my quickest option for nagakiba is killing a bro npc? I guess I could go through the quest line pretty quick by rushing the medallions and skipping to Altus after doing step 2 in Liurnia right? Don’t want to kill him…

Second question: going for a chaos ending on this one, do I have to do Edgar’s quest to get one of the grapes at revengers shack or can I just skip that?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Sleng Teng posted:

Second question: going for a chaos ending on this one, do I have to do Edgar’s quest to get one of the grapes at revengers shack or can I just skip that?

You don't need the grapes for chaos ending, that questline just gives you a madness incantation booster as a reward.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

All you're describing are LOD models, something that every game uses. That has nothing to do with changing the actual size/scale of the geography, which I'm positive isn't happening here.

Yeah, I am getting more convinced of that as I look into this.
But, pretty much everybody agrees that distant building appear closer then they are in this game. Probably something more psychological casued by the lack of distant fog like Föhn irl(no idea what that is called in english).
And the way that beacons look from far away and especially up is also confusing.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

You don't need the grapes for chaos ending, that questline just gives you a madness incantation booster as a reward.

Oh nice thanks! I guess I’ll find out for fun if he’ll still drop it or not, no big deal if not I guess.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you also get a sense of community and togetherness from helping an old woman enjoy some grapes

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
With all this beacon talk, here's a story of an adventure I had while using them.

Theres a bell tower on the rooftops in Raya Lucaria. It has an item in it. I spent forever trying to find ways to get up there, using beacons from different parts of the academy to try and connect paths, jumping up and down against the bell tower wall to try and see further in (there's a ladder going down into it!), even going as far as going to ground level and searching underneath the academy for ways up into it.

After discovering that the game world extends down a huge amount, I went deeper! There's a part from the ainsel river where you can see out over a lava lake deep underground, with some structures off in the distance. Placing my beacon directly on the bell tower and coming back here, I had the revelation that those structures were almost directly below it! There MUST be a lift there, leading up to it and those mysterious items inside!

50 or so hours later, I actually got to the area itself, couldn't find a bloody thing. I was super deflated, I really thought I was onto something.

Back at the belltower, it turns out that you have to literally just jump to a nearby rooftop.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Foul Fowl posted:

you also get a sense of community and togetherness from helping an old woman enjoy some grapes

Kinda reminds me of a Korean Buddhism story

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Malenia phase 2 is a real motherfucker, huh? What's a good Ash to have on my nagikaba?

I absolutely love when I manage to dodge her phantoms, then waterfowl dance, only to get pulverized by the rot bomb.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bloodhound step to help get out of the way, or go all in with occult ashes for damage if you are arcane

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
can both use bhs on it and have it be occult if you have black whetblade

stev posted:

drat, I'm on 14 and still keeping an eye out for seeds. 15 is a much nicer number to cap it at.
it's 14 this time around because phantom's flasks get halved and it doesn't have to round at max with an even number

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HampHamp posted:

With all this beacon talk, here's a story of an adventure I had while using them.

Theres a bell tower on the rooftops in Raya Lucaria. It has an item in it. I spent forever trying to find ways to get up there, using beacons from different parts of the academy to try and connect paths, jumping up and down against the bell tower wall to try and see further in (there's a ladder going down into it!), even going as far as going to ground level and searching underneath the academy for ways up into it.

After discovering that the game world extends down a huge amount, I went deeper! There's a part from the ainsel river where you can see out over a lava lake deep underground, with some structures off in the distance. Placing my beacon directly on the bell tower and coming back here, I had the revelation that those structures were almost directly below it! There MUST be a lift there, leading up to it and those mysterious items inside!

50 or so hours later, I actually got to the area itself, couldn't find a bloody thing. I was super deflated, I really thought I was onto something.

Back at the belltower, it turns out that you have to literally just jump to a nearby rooftop.

All the worse because there really is a tower in Raya Lucaria that you can only access from extremely far below, the one where you get Terra Magica and can’t write messages for some reason

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, Lordsworn Sword is low key really good. Enemies just love winding up and running right into Square Off

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the game geographers put in some real effort to make every major point visible from the church of vows

well, everything that's not in a snowfield or rot town

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
A good view of Caria manor and 3 sisters towers next to and below volcano manor can be seen if you go to the cliff north of the mausoleum stomping grounds in East liurnia. You look out over the road to the dectus lift and you can see them nicely. Makes u think about the relationship between ranni and rykard, cause based on that maliketh parry item you can get from bernahls invasion, they seem to have had a plan together at one point.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ranni, Rykard, and Radahn all grew up in Caria together, right? And it seems like they all kind of express a “no space weirds allowed” attitude in some way. Radahn fought the stars and Radahn won, Ranni’s on her way to attack and dethrone god, Rykard was formerly in on it and still has a lasting antipathy towards “the gods” though has lost sight of how to do anything other than guzzle champion tendies all day.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Raine posted:

speaking of beacons, i've seen some streamers get confused at seeing their 20 beacons shining far off into the abyss when they're in an underground area like deeproot depths. the beacons are of infinite vertical length and penetrate the map

related but i can't stand using more than one beacon at a time. and if i've arrived at the beacon i make sure it goes away immediately. i don't know how some people can even use their compass with so many drat beacons everywhere

something i was reminded of: the bull-goat dude's invasion marker on the map IS IN THE WRONG GODDAMN PLACE. i put a beacon in the exact location and combed through at least 3 different areas in the same vertical axis before i found it next to a bonfire nowhere near the actual marker location

Related, but how does everyone use the markers? I use the skulls as "this guy kicked my rear end, come back later", but I wish removing single markers was more intuitive!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

skasion posted:

Ranni, Rykard, and Radahn all grew up in Caria together, right? And it seems like they all kind of express a “no space weirds allowed” attitude in some way. Radahn fought the stars and Radahn won, Ranni’s on her way to attack and dethrone god, Rykard was formerly in on it and still has a lasting antipathy towards “the gods” though has lost sight of how to do anything other than guzzle champion tendies all day.

Their dad got stolen by some home wrecker in a space cult

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Related, but how does everyone use the markers? I use the skulls as "this guy kicked my rear end, come back later", but I wish removing single markers was more intuitive!

Skulls for "Well I don't wanna gently caress with that right now", flowers for any spots with especially rare/large amounts of materials in one place, flags for anything that I saw in the distance that looked kinda interesting but don't wanna take a detour to check out before I'm done with this detour, like those trees that summon ghosts that lead to dungeons. Don't think I've even used the others since they added NPC markers.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

Honestly... I very rarely used beacons and don't think I put down a single marker. I put one down on that chick north of morne castle but then she died lol. I used the wiki basically, which I guess is cheating. But I never really went back to places, or forgot which places I wanted to come back to.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

skasion posted:

Ranni at minimum is connected to a moon deity (and Radahn beating the stars stops her destiny).

Radahn thought Godfrey was the coolest poo poo ever and wanted to be him when he grew up. Which included him attacking Leyndell to become the Elden Lord (and getting stopped by Morgott I think).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 6, 2022

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Steve Yun posted:

enlightment as a coping mechanism

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

SHISHKABOB posted:

Honestly... I very rarely used beacons and don't think I put down a single marker. I put one down on that chick north of morne castle but then she died lol. I used the wiki basically, which I guess is cheating. But I never really went back to places, or forgot which places I wanted to come back to.

I don't know why it bothers me so much that you just can't save Irina at all, but it does. On my mage character I'm playing now I'm just going to ignore her and Castle Morne completely, even though I know she'll die anyway.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gologle posted:

I don't know why it bothers me so much that you just can't save Irina at all, but it does. On my mage character I'm playing now I'm just going to ignore her and Castle Morne completely, even though I know she'll die anyway.

She has to die for Hyetta to live, really the Morne quest is just the prelude of the main Frenzied Flame questlinw

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
what the gently caress are you supposed to do about Alecto's explosion? Also why doesn't she just do that first thing in the fight? If I had a move like that, I'd lead with it.

Fissurefury
May 27, 2007

The results of these precious, meaty fingers.
So uhhh, tried powerstanced occult bleed whips with mimic tear on Malenia... not sure what mechanics phase 2 even had. Maybe next time buddy!

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Man, Lordsworn Sword is low key really good. Enemies just love winding up and running right into Square Off

powerstance straight swords might be a basic bitch loadout, but goddamn it works. Did that for many levels with sonf + cold infused offhand to proc/reset frostbite

square off is also a great poise destroyer. I saw a rl1 run with that ash being the hot tech to chunk the endbosses

Kazzah posted:

what the gently caress are you supposed to do about Alecto's explosion? Also why doesn't she just do that first thing in the fight? If I had a move like that, I'd lead with it.

Cheese, but Al's AI can't climb rocks. Use this info as you will

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 6, 2022

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is there a good place to buy a Dex based Melee weapon? I dont need the BEST one, just something thats a step up from my starter weapon. I did the bandit class and I love the dagger so far.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still pretty new at this game. Just got to the Leonine Misbegotten boss at the very bottom of the map, and I'm having some trouble with him. I'm playing Vagabond, and this is the first enemy in a while where my awesome Vagabond shield isn't very good for defense, because he attacks so goddamn often and for so goddamn much damage and he tears right through my stamina. I'm trying to learn the Dodge Roll Meta instead, but, I'm carrying a heavy load thanks to all this goddamn knight armor so it's not easy.

My questions:

1) Is there a good strategy for getting out of heavy load other than "stack endurance for several consecutive levels" or am I stuck stacking endurance for several consecutive levels (or ditching my knight armor)
2) I'm playing in offline mode because I don't wanna pay for PS Plus. A guide I found claimed you can do an AI assist summon at this boss, but I'm not seeing a Martyr Effigy. Was this guide talking out its rear end, or am I missing something?
3) In general are there any Tips N Tricks for this particular boss that I'm missing? My strategy thus far has been "summon wolves, try to block and dodge as best you can, go in swinging when it gets distracted by a wolf, heal if at all possible" and the best it's gotten me is down to about 25% boss health, exactly once. As mentioned, I'm playing Vagabond and have been rolling mostly Uchigatana (plus Twinblade occasionally).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there a good place to buy a Dex based Melee weapon? I dont need the BEST one, just something thats a step up from my starter weapon. I did the bandit class and I love the dagger so far.

Don't worry too much about buying one; you can find the Twinblade if you horse-jump over a wall into the ruins at the south end of the lake in Limgrave and go down some stairs

the Uchigatana is in a side tunnel in a skeleton cave on the north end of Limgrave, but the Twinblade is much easier to find as soon as you have the horse

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Leo is kind of the complete opposite of Margit/Godrick in that they're giant HP batteries you have to be careful with. Leo is a speedy glass cannon, you'll have better luck going aggressive and just tear him down before he can do much

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Steve Yun posted:

*chewing on a dirty old fuckin eyeball* this is truly enlightenment

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

loquacius posted:

1) Is there a good strategy for getting out of heavy load other than "stack endurance for several consecutive levels" or am I stuck stacking endurance for several consecutive levels (or ditching my knight armor)
The halberd is surprisingly heavy. Unequip it and I believe the knight medium rolls. I kept the vagabond armor set pretty late into the game, most of the knights drop armor that is a sidegrade to the vagabond for the most part.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

rush deathtouched catacombs for a katana. No killing, just looting. Also the toppled caravans at gatefront have a dex flail. These two are earlygame bread and butter. The katana has unsheathe art which is a hard carry early on with stance + strong attack

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

loquacius posted:

I'm still pretty new at this game. Just got to the Leonine Misbegotten boss at the very bottom of the map, and I'm having some trouble with him. I'm playing Vagabond, and this is the first enemy in a while where my awesome Vagabond shield isn't very good for defense, because he attacks so goddamn often and for so goddamn much damage and he tears right through my stamina. I'm trying to learn the Dodge Roll Meta instead, but, I'm carrying a heavy load thanks to all this goddamn knight armor so it's not easy.

My questions:

2) I'm playing in offline mode because I don't wanna pay for PS Plus. A guide I found claimed you can do an AI assist summon at this boss, but I'm not seeing a Martyr Effigy. Was this guide talking out its rear end, or am I missing something?
3) In general are there any Tips N Tricks for this particular boss that I'm missing? My strategy thus far has been "summon wolves, try to block and dodge as best you can, go in swinging when it gets distracted by a wolf, heal if at all possible" and the best it's gotten me is down to about 25% boss health, exactly once. As mentioned, I'm playing Vagabond and have been rolling mostly Uchigatana (plus Twinblade occasionally).

Some talismans increase your equip load max but if you find yourself weighing too much, the quickest solution is always to take off some clothes. Very few armor sets in the game are worth going into fat roll for. Defense is good for when you get hit, but if you are at medium or low weight you can roll better and will get hit less. You will probably have a much easier time with the boss if you ditch a piece or two of armor for now.

Make sure you’re lowering your shield to recover stamina between attacks, if you plan to block him. Many of Misbegotten Leonine’s attacks can also be parried if you want to try that. High risk high reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Sleng Teng posted:

Made a fourth character (I have a disease) for dex/arcane junk. Am I correct that my quickest option for nagakiba is killing a bro npc? I guess I could go through the quest line pretty quick by rushing the medallions and skipping to Altus after doing step 2 in Liurnia right? Don’t want to kill him…

Yeah, you should rush Yura's questline as there are other good dex/arc weapons like Eleonora's Poleblade.

You don't need to interact with the grapes at all to get the Frenzied Flame ending, although again, for flavor you might want to (she gives you the Frenzied Flame Seal).