Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tesla lost me when I test drove the Model 3 and felt like the cost-cutting measures on the interior put it in a much lower class than I expected for the money (and really, no amount of money spent on a Tesla will avoid that but at least you get a gauge cluster eventually). Obviously they are quite successful anyway but I can say that was one of the top reasons I went with a competitor.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The main downside to buying a Tesla at the moment is they're kind of long in the tooth on their development cycle. Who knows when their next generation of batteries comes along, and their lack of 800V charging capabilities means newer EVs (like the EV6) have better DCFC curves.

Edit: Most of all when I sell my Model 3 Performance, I'll miss the software. All the other makers are several years away from giving their owners unrestricted API access with full telemetry, and the amount of features added to my car via updates in the past 3 1/2 years is staggering.

... sans Apple/Google play which is a deal killer for me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What if I don't want a Performance Tesla and only a Long Range?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

Buy a Tesla Model 3 Performance right now, get good trade in in 2 years when the best car in the history of the world starts hitting the streets in volume, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 N Performance.

I’m most excited for the electronic LSD on the Ioniq 5 N, do any of the tesla performance cars have something like that?

Would be fun for blasting out of corners.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My car has been pretty clutch on lunch breaks. Fire up Plex/YouTube, chill, maybe take a nap. I like that it got an update that allows me to store 4 camera angles on a USB drive without buying any equipment. It preconditions the battery before DC fast charging. I can set the desired SoC and amperage from my phone while or before it charges. My DC fast charging max speed bumped up from 150kW to 250kW.

These are all things that were added to my car after I bought it.

The Plex and YouTube poo poo mean absolutely nothing to me given that I have a phone and tablet and laptop that can do those things and I always have at least one of them on me. The other stuff is nice but the possibility that good things might get patched in later will be well down on my list of things I’m looking for in a car.

The “ship it and patch it later” mentality is bad enough with consumer electronics and applications, I don’t want my car manufacturer to start treating my car as software. And none of those things are anywhere near as transformative as cell phones have been so it’s a muddled analogy anyway. A superpocket computer has always sounded legitimately awesome. A car you can improve with software has existed for quite a while now in the form of ECU tunes and bimmercode and such, and it’s kind of cool but not in the same ballpark.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

GlassEye-Boy posted:

How many software features do you really need in a car though?

My wife and I had a conversation today about how we wished we had dog mode or whatever Tesla calls it in our EV6.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What if I don't want a Performance Tesla and only a Long Range?

I have a Long Range and absolutely love it. No build issues, interior is comfy, I’ll be the voice of dissent and say no dash is a-ok. Only owned it for the past 5 months but I do love it

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I'm seriously considering a long range single motor model polestar 2 without extras as an alternative to model 3 in Australia (price is about the same as basic model 3). Anyone else gone for one of these, especially the base model without the dual motor and packs?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a Long Range and absolutely love it. No build issues, interior is comfy, I’ll be the voice of dissent and say no dash is a-ok. Only owned it for the past 5 months but I do love it

You're not the voice of dissent, you're just the only Tesla owner ITT who hasn't yet gotten tired of everyone's incessant need to chime in about whether they like or dislike the brand's design decisions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

:qq:

Somebody asked, it didn’t come out of nowhere

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I was thinking of a LR model Y and I kind of want the "auto-drive but not really" package

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

You're not the voice of dissent, you're just the only Tesla owner ITT who hasn't yet gotten tired of everyone's incessant need to chime in about whether they like or dislike the brand's design decisions.

lol god forbid people talk about an EV in the EV thread

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Citizen Z posted:

My wife and I had a conversation today about how we wished we had dog mode or whatever Tesla calls it in our EV6.

Pretty sure it just keeps the climate control running and puts up a message in the center screen which you accomplish with a little sign in the window.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was new an innovative because nobody else thought they could get away with the obvious unpopular dangerous cost saving move.

Using the touchscreen in your car while driving is about as dangerous as using your mobile phone, and most of the civilised world has banned that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to hide to fact that I'm generally very critical of Tesla on a multitude of points, but their software package is the best in the trade as of RN. How well the navigation/range estimation/preheating works combined with an app that actually seems to work well makes it a winner in that category IMO.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was thinking of a LR model Y and I kind of want the "auto-drive but not really" package

I have a LR Y (from last July) and still really like it. The lack of a gauge cluster/driver screen took about 20 minutes to get used to, and it really is a great car to drive, even if it’s the “slowest” one they make. I 100% always want to take my car instead of my wife’s Nissan when we go places, which has not always been the case with previous vehicles.

I have the base autopilot which is fine, and the only thing I miss is automatically re-engaging the steering after lane changes. I might subscribe to the horribly-named “FSD” for a month since I’m going to drive ~1100 miles in a weekend toward the end of April, but even then I’m not sure it’s worth the $200 (and I’m only considering it because I’m getting a $100 gas stipend, and it should cost ~$35 to supercharge the whole way). It’s certainly not worth $Texas or whatever they charge to buy it outright.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm not going to hide to fact that I'm generally very critical of Tesla on a multitude of points, but their software package is the best in the trade as of RN. How well the navigation/range estimation/preheating works combined with an app that actually seems to work well makes it a winner in that category IMO.

2021.8.x makes the preconditioning stay on for a while even after you’ve opened/closed the car, which is great for loading things in the back and letting the battery continue to heat. There are definitely some boneheaded software quirks (no CarPlay, etc.), but the stuff they do add is usually genuinely useful.

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 6, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The “ship it and patch it later” mentality is bad enough with consumer electronics and applications, I don’t want my car manufacturer to start treating my car as software.

I mostly agree with that view, but I may make an exception with cars. Because it feels the software is an aftertought with cars, a launch of a new car won't get delayed just because the software is still lackluster and will minimal amount of fixing afterwards. And since we can't have cars that aren't full of software anymore it would be an improvement if the manufacturer's got in to a habit of updating them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

With the traditional model you just get unfinished broken software and it simply never gets patched.

gently caress you, Ford.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

With the traditional model you just get unfinished broken software and it simply never gets patched.

gently caress you, Ford.

This is largely how the IoT market works too. I highly doubt my new water heater is ever going to get a firmware update.

Like, when I took the Bolt in to get a firmware update related to the battery recall, the version number of the firmware was the same afterwards. They just changed some stuff in that version. It's a totally different mindset.

E:

QuarkJets posted:

lol god forbid people talk about an EV in the EV thread

It's an appropriate thing to discuss, I just didn't want that one poster to feel like they were the only one. Everyone else is probably just tired of staking their claim again.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 6, 2022

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty sure it just keeps the climate control running and puts up a message in the center screen which you accomplish with a little sign in the window.

Yes, but I would rather have a button. The question was "what do you need software updates for?", not "how do I not kill my dog in the car?"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Perhaps ironically, Tesla has the best physical controls for cruise control IMO. On/off on the lever and follow distance or speed change in increments of 1 or 5 on the thumb wheel.

It's sometimes hard to do +3 quickly, which instead gets interpreted as +5, but otherwise I like scrolling a wheel upwards better than flipping a lever or pressing a button when doing a big change. Like other controls you can also just accelerate to the desired speed and scroll once upwards for a new set.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I'm still thinking over a M3P and I'm literally afraid they might raise the price $3,000 tomorrow or something.

I ordered March 4th and at the time it was still saying April delivery, slipped to May pretty rapidly though which wasn't a surprise. Still says May for me but current orders are now saying June-August which I assume means September-October.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This feels like a delayed April Fool's joke.

https://www.ign.com/articles/delorean-releases-a-teaser-image-of-its-new-electric-car

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’ll be a crossover.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I mean it still looks cool but I would not make a preorder 😂

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Polestar does all of this but doesn't release huge UI overhauls, which can be a pro or con

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Do they take cocaine

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I was really excited about the polestar until I learned about the deep google integration. Cars typically have a longer lifespan than just about any of google's products. What will a 10 year old polestar look like? I'm imagining having to dismiss a "COULD NOT CONNECT TO SERVER" message every drive.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wayne Knight posted:

I was really excited about the polestar until I learned about the deep google integration. Cars typically have a longer lifespan than just about any of google's products. What will a 10 year old polestar look like? I'm imagining having to dismiss a "COULD NOT CONNECT TO SERVER" message every drive.

My Kia runs Android on the headunit. It's a new world

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Wayne Knight posted:

Maps and search and voice on android have existed for a really long time and that’s basically what the integrations with Google are.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes, those products have existed for a long time and I'd feel safe to assume they'll continue to exist. BUT! An android phone from 2012 likely cannot run the google maps app in its current form. What happens when they shift to some new tile renderer that requires an app upgrade? Will whatever version of android the head unit runs be compatible? It looks like they've been improving their long term support, but it was very recent that they only promised security updates for 3 years (up to 5 now). This is for hardware they manufacture. Is google/android capable of keeping an internet-connected device safe for a typical car's lifespan?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wayne Knight posted:

Is google/android capable of keeping an internet-connected device safe for a typical car's lifespan?

Is anyone? Apple does everything in house and while their support is exceptional for consumers devices it still isn't what I'd consider the normal lifetime of a non-connected car.

As devices (including cars) become connected people are just going to have to accept that their useful lifespans will be reduced.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

dissss posted:

As devices (including cars) become connected people are just going to have to accept that their useful lifespans will be reduced.

This sounds like a pretty good argument for making cars not connected devices.

If you're a consumer anyways. That doesn't buy a new car every 3 years.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

From a consumer point of view sure.

Manufacturers, on the other hand, will have a different view (especially given all that sweet usage data that can be harvested from a car)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping right to repair legislation will include more "you must be able to replace the headunit" language :P

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

dissss posted:

Manufacturers, on the other hand, will have a different view (especially given all that sweet usage data that can be harvested from a car)

Of course they do, their intent is to extract as much profit as possible out of consumers, while consumers generally try to save as much money as possible within certain parameters

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

If I were in the market for such a thing, I’d want a DMC-12 that was electric, not some whole new thing. They’d at least have a chance of building and supporting that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Wayne Knight posted:

Yes, those products have existed for a long time and I'd feel safe to assume they'll continue to exist. BUT! An android phone from 2012 likely cannot run the google maps app in its current form. What happens when they shift to some new tile renderer that requires an app upgrade? Will whatever version of android the head unit runs be compatible? It looks like they've been improving their long term support, but it was very recent that they only promised security updates for 3 years (up to 5 now). This is for hardware they manufacture. Is google/android capable of keeping an internet-connected device safe for a typical car's lifespan?

As of 2018 Google maps still worked on Android 1.0, released in 2007. A phone from 2012 can still run Google because it can certainly run a version higher than 2.3.7 which was the most recent version deprecated and was released in 2010.

I’m not thrilled about the era of connected cars but this isn’t a Google problem, it’s an everyone problem because everyone is using android or QNX and nobody is going to produce patches for those things indefinitely or make sure that their integrated services are always available into perpetuity for whatever version you’re running.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 6, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How useful is an onboard mapping system that hasn’t been updated in 10 years? In northern VA that would get you in quite a bit of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The maps on my 7 year old Hyundai have never been updated so are completely useless. Even if I paid the dealer the $150 for an update it'd still be six months out of date and missing at least one major road that has opened in that time.