Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah, I don't want to explain the lore other than to say it's a different company attempting to fill the vacuum that Merchantsoft left. The company was lurking in the lore of the first game, though only one of its products was mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
very cool, looking forward to sleeping on it

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I lol'd irl when Zane took over.

Really looking forward to this, I already like playing "internet detective" helping people find obscure things they remember seeing 10+ years ago so...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Shortly afterplaying Hypnospace, I wanted to track down a band that I had seen live in 2012, and went on an adventure through the wayback machine, local fliers from the era, emailed the venue

Never found 'em, but it definitely felt like I was on the same vibe and I had a good time

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

Netsettler was Merchantsoft's original product, which was not sleeptime-related and then obsoleted by HypnoOS
Ah yes, Netsettler, that's what I was actually thinking of.

Incidentally, the time this game will take place in is the Windows XP era in our timeline, replete with all its brightly colored bubbly UI. Seeing that aesthetic again that be a nostalgia trip to say the least.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

This UI brings back memories. :grovertoot:

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Looks awesome, wishlisted both games.

I'll have to do a Hyponospace replay at some point soon.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

Mode 7 posted:

Looks awesome, wishlisted both games.

I'll have to do a Hyponospace replay at some point soon.

Same, and same.

I tried a replay recently with the Hypnospace+ update, and it was so much new content I got overwhelmed trying to remember what I had already read in my previous playthrough versus what was new and maybe forgot.

This was a good problem to have, and made me essentially reread everything.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They both look utterly delightful. Looking forward to enjoying Dreamsettler mostly blind, so I've skipped the explanations but if it's set in AU 2002-2003 I hope that there's a link to a forum that has an IRC channel where you can spend 24 realtime hours downloading a single fansubbed anime episode encoded in DivX.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Slayers X seems to be going for a very untouched genre in the modern retro shooter renescience: "Dodgy looking early 3D first-person shooters that you saw on store shelves that you looked at the back of the box of, but never actually bought and sometimes wondered about years later". In particular it makes me think of this old adventure game where you thwart a conspiracy that involves weird machines hidden in couches; I can't for the life of me remember what it is called or find it on google.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I am so pumped for Dreamsettler. HO was like the crystal meth of nostalgia for me, and Dreamsettler looks no different. Slayers X is a very funny idea and it looks like the game could be fun, but even if it turns out to not be great, I'm just psyched about getting more dreamspace content.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tombot posted:

Slayers X seems to be going for a very untouched genre in the modern retro shooter renescience: "Dodgy looking early 3D first-person shooters that you saw on store shelves that you looked at the back of the box of, but never actually bought and sometimes wondered about years later".

There's a couple of games that have tackled this, but they've had to also look "good" to earn some sales, which defeats the point, or they're just bad and boring

Slayers X is wrapped in so many layers of irony that I don't think you could ever actually make it worse without making it equally better

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought Terminal Aftermath looked like it was running on the Build Engine but apparently it's just designed to look like it is, which is entertaining.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tombot posted:

Slayers X seems to be going for a very untouched genre in the modern retro shooter renescience: "Dodgy looking early 3D first-person shooters that you saw on store shelves that you looked at the back of the box of, but never actually bought and sometimes wondered about years later". In particular it makes me think of this old adventure game where you thwart a conspiracy that involves weird machines hidden in couches; I can't for the life of me remember what it is called or find it on google.

It's build engine look which you don't see too much of, surprisingly

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks all, glad you're enjoying our teasers! And yeah, the build engine look isn't so easy to fake. We're using unity and we had to forego unity's standard fog (which isn't true depth fog) and disable lighting entirely in favor of our own fake sector lighting solution. That mixed with the limited palette gives it the build engine look, though there's definitely proper 3D level geometry.

Here's one of the custom things we had made:

https://twitter.com/totallyRonja/status/1396932584064552961

Tombot posted:

If I recall correctly, "Dream settler" was the name of the Sleeptime browser that pre-dated Hypnospace. I figured if they were going to make a sequel, they would use CyberWorldZ. I'm sure it will all make sense when the game comes out.

ALFbrot posted:

Netsettler was Merchantsoft's original product, which was not sleeptime-related and then obsoleted by HypnoOS

This is only a spoiler if you've not finished Hypnospace Outlaw: The basic lore here is that after the mindcrash and subsequent closure of Merchantsoft, the sleeptime industry had tons of investor cash so lobbied to keep Sleeptime a from being too severely regulated. The parent company of a certain sleeptime competitor rebranded/renamed their service to fill the vacuum left by Merchantsoft, hence Dreamsettler.

It'll make more sense when you play. :)

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 6, 2022

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I don't care about shooters, but I'm real excited to get some more Seepage!

Hypnospace have the best soundtrack.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I was so caught up in the excitement of Dreamsettler I completely missed Slayers X and my God, the powerful Shadow Warrior vibe I'm getting. Or like...Chex Quest. Absolutely nailed the incredibly specific vibe in a way "modern" boomer shooters don't quite match.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

MattTheDoctor posted:

I was so caught up in the excitement of Dreamsettler I completely missed Slayers X and my God, the powerful Shadow Warrior vibe I'm getting. Or like...Chex Quest. Absolutely nailed the incredibly specific vibe in a way "modern" boomer shooters don't quite match.

https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1501650533609885696?t=V5-lOXeGmgEOcXUowHr6JQ&s=19

Zane is such a fun scroll through. The guy piloting this account gets it. I've never felt more confident in a niche product's release

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Dreamsettler seems... I dunno, I feel like there's a switcheroo coming that I can't quite figure out. Hypnospace Outlaw is easily one of my favourite games of the past decade and Jay Tholen is brilliant, is he really just going to make a straight up reboot of his first game? If it was a sequel, surely he'd go for a different time period but I don't think there's anything more to be said about the internet of 2003 compared to the internet of 1999. Especially since the story he told in Hypnospace was very much already about the banal evil of modern day tech companies.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oops, I didn't read the thread and accidentally subtweeted the developer.

Love your work. Ghosts of the Grotto is a jam that I listen to on a regular basis.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Beartaco posted:

Dreamsettler seems... I dunno, I feel like there's a switcheroo coming that I can't quite figure out. Hypnospace Outlaw is easily one of my favourite games of the past decade and Jay Tholen is brilliant, is he really just going to make a straight up reboot of his first game? If it was a sequel, surely he'd go for a different time period but I don't think there's anything more to be said about the internet of 2003 compared to the internet of 1999. Especially since the story he told in Hypnospace was very much already about the banal evil of modern day tech companies.

I see these games more as a vehicle for the the characters who populate the world and the mundane alternate-history things they're into. With Hypnospace I guess the hook was "remember this old internet stuff!" but the actual thing that caught folks' attention (and the thing I cared most about) were the characters, the things they make and share, the ways they clash with one another, and how they bump up against the systems they're stuck into.

To your specific point, there's quite a bit distinct about the 'net of the early 2000s. Flash games/animations/websites were dominating. (If there's one aesthetic throughline for this game, it's gonna be a clear 'flash' influence.) Early video sites like ebaumsworld. Habbo hotel. Of course, the SA/4chan thing. Outside of the web you had obnoxious ringtones, ads with bad CG characters (you can see our Crazyfrog-esque mascot for a deodorant company briefly in the teaser), and all sorts of movement in the music world. There's also the rise of early social media like myspace and friendster, which we will be pulling from for the narrative.

That said, while some of those things will have their own Hypnospacey pastiches, this time I'm leaning into our invented pockets of culture more and relying less on stuff from the real world. Certain aesthetics notwithstanding.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'll play this no matter what but I gotta ask, is Hot Dad attached? The world needs more Chowder Man!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
There will be more Chowder Man.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main things i remember about 2003 computing were that every single app was skinnable, and also every vaguely "arty" site had pixel-style fonts

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I cannot wait until the 2010's are mapped out and a puzzle involves finding the perfect mashup between AU Redbone and Chowderman set to SquisherZ loops.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I just can't believe Mikey Sikey is frickng dead

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Gaspy Conana posted:

I see these games more as a vehicle for the the characters who populate the world and the mundane alternate-history things they're into. With Hypnospace I guess the hook was "remember this old internet stuff!" but the actual thing that caught folks' attention (and the thing I cared most about) were the characters, the things they make and share, the ways they clash with one another, and how they bump up against the systems they're stuck into.

To your specific point, there's quite a bit distinct about the 'net of the early 2000s. Flash games/animations/websites were dominating. (If there's one aesthetic throughline for this game, it's gonna be a clear 'flash' influence.) Early video sites like ebaumsworld. Habbo hotel. Of course, the SA/4chan thing. Outside of the web you had obnoxious ringtones, ads with bad CG characters (you can see our Crazyfrog-esque mascot for a deodorant company briefly in the teaser), and all sorts of movement in the music world. There's also the rise of early social media like myspace and friendster, which we will be pulling from for the narrative.

That said, while some of those things will have their own Hypnospacey pastiches, this time I'm leaning into our invented pockets of culture more and relying less on stuff from the real world. Certain aesthetics notwithstanding.

I don't doubt your ability to make a sequel one bit. The way you told the story of those characters through their personal postings was outstanding. The online subcultures you created complete with full EPs was truly something out of this world. Hypnospace Outlaw was the game I got into at the start of the pandemic just because there was so much to read and explore.

I think my concern (and to reiterate I'm sorry, I didn't even consider you might be posting here) is that Hypnospace Outlaw was already a complete story. What more is there to say when the original game already covered 1999 to 2019?

I'm very excited to see what this game is and what it has to say.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Gaspy Conana posted:

This is the greatest news I've heard all day

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Gaspy Conana posted:

I’m so happy I could cry

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Beartaco posted:

I don't doubt your ability to make a sequel one bit. The way you told the story of those characters through their personal postings was outstanding. The online subcultures you created complete with full EPs was truly something out of this world. Hypnospace Outlaw was the game I got into at the start of the pandemic just because there was so much to read and explore.

I think my concern (and to reiterate I'm sorry, I didn't even consider you might be posting here) is that Hypnospace Outlaw was already a complete story. What more is there to say when the original game already covered 1999 to 2019?

I'm very excited to see what this game is and what it has to say.

well, Hypnospace is really only set in the last few months of 1999. the jump to present day is just a way to justify the addition of the archival mechanic and initially we were thinking people may make and share pages in-game, so everyone being part of a present day hobbyist revival would make sense lore wise. the transition from personal home pages to blogs to homogenized social media is a major theme we're addressing in this game that we didn't explore in HSO, which was more about an irresponsible dot com era startup.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was in a business dev class at a community college and one of the student power point business plans had such a powerful hypnospace outlaw vibe I tried to ask him for a copy for me to mod and preserve it. He wanted $30 and to this day I regret not paying him. Thank you for listening to my story

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
wanting $30 for a powerpoint is definitely a hypnospace character thing bwl

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I didn't need to hear anything else

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the hypnospace franchise shall endure until chowder man has no limbs left to lose

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Also does "coming soon" mean 2022 or more like 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hypnopunk 2077

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Kaboobi posted:

Also does "coming soon" mean 2022 or more like 2024

somewhere in between. Zane game will be out in months tho.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I know we're all excited for the return of Chowder Man, but I am hoping for some more deep cuts from Klyfta.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Ballz posted:

I know we're all excited for the return of Chowder Man, but I am hoping for some more deep cuts from Klyfta.

Hell yeah, just put on Cosmic Pilgrimage.

I'm excited to see what new stuff they come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of ancient web design, https://www.webdesignmuseum.org is a real good resource for exploring old layouts.

Very excited to hear about a sequel to Hypnospace... and Zane! And Chowder Man, oh wow.