Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
living through the inflection point between "loving around" and "finding out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
net zero by 2050 just means everyone* will have free** dial-up internet provided by NetZero by 2050***

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Homocow posted:

living through the inflection point between "loving around" and "finding out"

I like to call it "The End of the Surplus Age"

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Low motivation admission overt

Let's Minecraft all oligarchs

Loser mankind awaits omnideath

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

krispykremessuck posted:

net zero by 2050 just means everyone* will have free** dial-up internet provided by NetZero by 2050***

Can I get that a bit early? I'm looking to cut costs for my mining op

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/03/briefing/climate-optimism-ukraine-week-ahead.html

"hey friend thought this might cheer you up! great read" *blushing emoji*

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
If it's gauche to post my own writing here please let me know, but I thought you all might like it https://tpainesnewsletter.substack.com/p/the-dangers-of-climate-optimism?s=w

My response to all the soupbrained climate optimists

T-Paine has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Apr 6, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

T-Paine posted:

If it's gauche to post my own writing here please let me know, but I thought you all might like it https://aeroplane45.substack.com/p/the-dangers-of-climate-optimism?s=w

tbh i find it considerate to say "hey I made an effort post, you can find it here" with a link rather than just copy/pasting it into the thread because regardless of the quality of the post, giant blocks of text that get quoted over and over for discussion are annoying.

now, if it were a podcast,

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1511702664266096646
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1511694531636641794
https://thehill.com/policy/equilibr...n-5-4-decision/

not strictly climate but lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/DonotInnovate/status/1511709732741992452

quote:

The Supreme Court on Wednesday halted a prior court ruling that struck down a Trump-era rule limiting state and tribal authority to veto projects that could impact their waters, including pipelines.

The Trump rule in question, which was nixed by a federal court in October, limited states’ authority to block projects by giving them a strict one-year time limit to do so. If it did not meet this time limit, the government could determine that it had waived its veto power.

The rule also limited the scope to only those that will impact water quality. It excluded other considerations, such as air quality or “energy policy.”

The high court on Wednesday halted that vacatur, reinstating the rule for the time being, in a 5-4 decision. Chief Justice John Roberts joined the court’s three liberal justices in dissenting.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Egg Moron posted:

Sadbrained 19th/20th century existentialists have nothing on climate doom mindset

"Boo hoo God is not real and social alienation is possible"

Lol

We knowingly mortally wounded the earth and we're laughing at it while it dies in front of us begging for mercy

Stare into the void and the void is loving lmao

earth will be fine, it's just heating up to kill the virus harming it atm

it'll just be a long fever and then it breaks~

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
if we try extra hard we can probably push it into a runaway hothouse effect that leaves it looking more like venus when all is said and done

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

we're all going to be living underground like Gurren Lagann

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sickos

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

if we try extra hard we can probably push it into a runaway hothouse effect that leaves it looking more like venus when all is said and done

I do expect us to try our level best to make this reality

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

That was a good blog post Tpaine. Thank you for sharing it. Something that jumps out at me about the doomer discourse, is that the views of the doomer are valid. Some might disagree with the views, but they are valid views to hold. Suppressing the expression of these views denies an untold number of us the opportunity to grieve for... everything, doing genuine harm.

We had a speaker at work a couple weeks back. Her expertise was in applied mathematics, and she was asked a question about climate optimism. She gave a brave answer, but it started with how difficult it is to be optimistic about the climate, given the evidence. Honestly she could be a poster here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that regardless of what some rear end in a top hat says in their Twitter drive by, y'all are valid and deserve the space to process this existential horror.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

TehSaurus posted:

That was a good blog post Tpaine. Thank you for sharing it. Something that jumps out at me about the doomer discourse, is that the views of the doomer are valid. Some might disagree with the views, but they are valid views to hold. Suppressing the expression of these views denies an untold number of us the opportunity to grieve for... everything, doing genuine harm.

We had a speaker at work a couple weeks back. Her expertise was in applied mathematics, and she was asked a question about climate optimism. She gave a brave answer, but it started with how difficult it is to be optimistic about the climate, given the evidence. Honestly she could be a poster here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that regardless of what some rear end in a top hat says in their Twitter drive by, y'all are valid and deserve the space to process this existential horror.

Thanks, I agree and I tried to explore that a little bit by asking how appropriate it would be to say the same things to someone who is depressed or anxious over something else. I mean, we have therapists now who specialize in climate angst. It's not something you can wish away

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

T-Paine posted:

If it's gauche to post my own writing here please let me know, but I thought you all might like it https://tpainesnewsletter.substack.com/p/the-dangers-of-climate-optimism?s=w

I just read your Defund The Military piece. Good work.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

T-Paine posted:

Thanks, I agree and I tried to explore that a little bit by asking how appropriate it would be to say the same things to someone who is depressed or anxious over something else. I mean, we have therapists now who specialize in climate angst. It's not something you can wish away

trying to "be brave" is a good way to think about it. try to help other people and do little things to make everyone's life better, and don't stop educating people.

you can still go home and cry about it, no shame in that at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mdemone posted:

"be brave"

well the earth doesn’t care and we hardly even matter
we’re just a bit more piss to push out its full bladder
and as our bodies break down into all their rocky little bits
piled up under mountains of dirt and silt and still
the world it don’t give a poo poo

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lmao

https://twitter.com/dpcarrington/status/1511651028525109253?t=1i99OSkN7dTY1iy5woNVlw&s=19

11 of the 13 people they examined had microplastics in their lungs

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

TACD posted:

2050 is 28 years away
28 years ago was 1994

in 1994 I was watching OG teenage mutant ninja turtles and playing SimCity 2000 on our amazing new 800x600 monitor

augh

The End of Ice posted:

“We’ve screwed ourselves,” he says. “We kicked the bucket. We have gone off the cliff. 93.4 percent of the global warming heat we’ve produced is in the oceans, and half of that went in since just 1997. That is unbelievable. If we’d only gotten hold of this when we knew about it in the ’80s we’d have less than half the problem we have now.” Wanless, who has been watching things go from bad to worse for so long, is taken aback by the business-as-usual mind-set of the general public. “We have to stop doing this,” he continues. “With population increasing, with industrialization ongoing, and with the sad exuberance about opening the Arctic as an opportunity to get more oil and gas, shouldn’t we be thinking, ‘Oh my God, what have we done?’” As grim and sobering as his statements are, they are a breath of fresh air.

Mayor Dave posted:

Lmao

https://twitter.com/dpcarrington/status/1511651028525109253?t=1i99OSkN7dTY1iy5woNVlw&s=19

You can sequester all the GHG's you want, transition as many cars to EV, do all your meatless mondays: it isn't going to stop the collapse of the biosphere now.

Rime has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Apr 6, 2022

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

I love that book, it's one of my favorite climate vooks

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

T-Paine posted:

Absolutely. I thought that it was worth underscoring how invalidating The toxic positivity is, but I think that's more building on what you wrote than adding anything really new.

mdemone posted:

trying to "be brave" is a good way to think about it. try to help other people and do little things to make everyone's life better, and don't stop educating people.

you can still go home and cry about it, no shame in that at all.

This is the way. We can't fix the world, but if I give someone a coat or hand out food at the food bank that is doing capital G Good and no internet douchebags can take that away from me.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rime posted:

You can sequester all the GHG's you want, transition as many cars to EV, do all your meatless mondays: it isn't going to stop the collapse of the biosphere now.

it's always fun to explain to people that climate change and ubiquitous microplastics are actually two completely different orthogonal biosphere catastrophes.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Excited for micro plastics to destroy all animals ability to reproduce, at the same time as all biomes getting wrecked so there's no good place to live anyway.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
*the architect from the matrix voice* you're all going to die and there's nothing you can do about it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

Lmao

tell me you don't want to lick that :yum:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Homeless Friend posted:

tell me you don't want to lick that :yum:

It definitely looks like Fruit Loop dust

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It definitely looks like Fruit Loop dust

it is

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

T-Paine posted:

Fun read, thanks for sharing.

also plastic doomers: have you considered that perhaps things aren't actually that bad, because we've banned plastic straws

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

Fun read, thanks for sharing.

also plastic doomers: have you considered that perhaps things aren't actually that bad, because we've banned plastic straws

honolulu banned plastic bags too and charges 5c for even paper bags (or the super thick plastic ones that are still allowed) and honestly it dramatically cut down on the amount of pointless bag waste everywhere. they just banned plastic utensils for takeout too. all our beaches are made out of plastic anyway though because the pacific ocean is made of plastic now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we burn all our trash too, no landfilled plastic for us. hawaii is honestly doing pretty decent on the plastic waste front. we do our best with renewables too but that's mainly because we can't rely on other states or nuclear or cheap coal for power and we have a hell of a lot of sun. also burning trash makes up 10% of the total power grid for honolulu lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Stereotype posted:

it's always fun to explain to people that climate change and ubiquitous microplastics are actually two completely different orthogonal biosphere catastrophes.

Well plastic is made from oil so there is definitely a connection, though I get what you're saying. There are quite a few completely unrelated ways we're loving the planet. Plastic, emissions, invasive species, pesticides, over fishing, deforestation, the list goes on

I do wonder: if all our emissions just, like, had no effect on the climate, we'd still be pretty hosed, but how hosed? 10% hosed? Maybe we'd make it to 2500?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
burning trash is probably under the 'renewable' blanket for the energy data thinktanks

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I do wonder: if all our emissions just, like, had no effect on the climate, we'd still be pretty hosed, but how hosed? 10% hosed? Maybe we'd make it to 2500?

no, no, we'd still be hosed by the physical and finite limits to growth (resource depletion), spiraling global biodiversity*, and the widespread proliferation of industrial pollutants / contaminants.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Apr 6, 2022

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Stereotype posted:

honolulu banned plastic bags too and charges 5c for even paper bags (or the super thick plastic ones that are still allowed) and honestly it dramatically cut down on the amount of pointless bag waste everywhere. they just banned plastic utensils for takeout too. all our beaches are made out of plastic anyway though because the pacific ocean is made of plastic now

if my bro's family moves back to Hawaii, I think i might give being homeless in Hawaii a try - seems p sweet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Net zero by 2050! We'll implement a carbon thingy plan to mitigate emissions! Of course we'll have to grant exceptions to certain critical industries (all of them) and individuals (the rich ones) so they can continue to perform essential functions (plastic party decorations)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Protagonist posted:

burning trash is probably under the 'renewable' blanket for the energy data thinktanks

yeah it's counted as a renewable in all our stats lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The Protagonist posted:

well it gives the place that nice smokey smell that we all like and then that smoke goes up in the sky and turns into stars