Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

rich and powerful deserve: minecraft

one day we will all thank notch for his contributions to language and understanding as we bask in the shade of the widow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
The rhetoric from paid shills used to be that global warming wasn't real. Climate policy communicators put in a lot of effort to demonstrate that global warming was actually real. Now that it's no longer tenable to say that global warming isn't real, the rhetoric from paid shills is that global warming might be real, but there's nothing we can do about it. So now climate policy communicators put in a lot of effort to prove that actually we need to do something.

It is very tiresome. I don't know why these climate communication types think that being reactionary toward denialist garbage is a good use of time. Maybe it's because they're all too cowardly to list anything that actually needs to be done.

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/UNFCCC/status/1511356659226099712?s=20&t=Qhh2SXSJS-XVIBZYvrtRiw

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Enfys posted:

This is something that's really getting to me as I try to deal with my own sense of grief and loss.
You're not allowed to mourn the things we've lost and the things we're going to lose because that is Not Helpful and you must always work harder to solve the problem! Raise awareness! Take action! Expressing grief makes you part of the problem, not the solution! Rage is not productive!
It's hard enough getting up every day and going to work in such a devastating present while facing an even more dire future. At least let me mourn the dying coral reefs and the birds I can no longer find and yet another area of protected habitat illegally cut down by developers who cost the fine into their operations.
The very least we could do in the face of all the life we're destroying is have an honest emotion over it.

Egg Moron posted:

Sadbrained 19th/20th century existentialists have nothing on climate doom mindset
"Boo hoo God is not real and social alienation is possible"
Lol
We knowingly mortally wounded the earth and we're laughing at it while it dies in front of us begging for mercy
Stare into the void and the void is loving lmao

God Hole posted:

for three years from 2017 to 2020 i was a peace corps volunteer in Ukraine. the small village i lived in is now a smoking crater, my students' and friends' and loved ones' lives have been completely destroyed as they flee senseless violence caused in part by my government, and I get to watch as my countrymen who before February knew absolutely nothing about Ukraine or even where it was on a map, describe the people i loved alternatively as Nazis or ethnic Russians depending on their preexisting core beliefs. people who just lived their lives and sold strawberries at the bazaar with their grandmother and knew that they were never going to be able to afford a better lot in life but regardless did what they could to hold onto happiness and love. that's all gone now, and all of their sufferings have only served to entrench ideological poles over here rather than shift them in a positive direction.

modest efforts to leverage my esoteric knowledge on covid and climate change to inform those around me and inoculate them to the looming horrors on the horizon have only served to isolate me socially and alienate the few friends i had left. i turned 30 years old this year, and with that benchmark has come the realization that everything i have ever done has been rendered meaningless by machinery outside of my ability to fully conceive of or influence. i laugh because it hurts not to, and i do not consider it a luxury.

but regardless yeah, gently caress fatalism. the only dignity left in life lies in continual struggle and one must imagine sisyphus etc etc

i missed the thread a few days, and IPCC brought me. these are excellent

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

omg

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

I conflated some things and didn't get called out, also I am pretty lazy but I wanted to revisit the green energy capacity vs. generated power

if we are to believe data published by bp, the actual generated green energy in 2020 was ~7000 TWh, comfortably exceeding our back-of-the-envelope 4,500 TWh necessary to reach CO2 release-capture parity.

but something is amiss... what got me scratching my head was this is around 30% of a global energy consumption of ~24,000 TWh, a larger fraction than I've ever seen claimed... am I behind the times?

so now I'm going down a rabbit hole and looking at tables and... wait a minute, looking at CO₂ emissions per capita vs. share of electricity from renewables, they're claiming that Canada is 68.52% from renewables? New Zealand 81.12%? Brazil is 84.23% renewable share? Norway 98.63%? Am I taking crazy pills??

you have to remember that energy isn't the same as electricity and depending on which systems boundaries you draw for energy then food counts as bioenergy, since it is. but that can be purposefully misleading when you make people think the chart is transportation + electricity + industrial + hvac

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

NotPerfect posted:

What's with the hope cope and antidoomerism talking points being pushed recently? These editorials seem to ignore current trends of global warming and having false hope that science/capitalism will save us. It's an ecological version of supply side economics where investing in expensive pipe dreams in order for them to become less expensive pipe dreams. Hell even Chapo seem to be on board with it as seen in the episode with authors of The People's Republic of Walmart. We're essentially taking the Ls by just accepting temperature increases as mild inconvenience rather than an existential threat. The Kurzgesagt literally minimizes the threat and act that all we have to do is some infrastructure change to prevent collapse. They literally have a video on how we can't prevent climate change but hey that's a bummer, let's gaslight the population into accepting climate catastrophe because it could have been an even worse catastrophe. Like sure we might not hit 8 degree increase but that doesn't mean whatever temperature average we raise to is okay or even livable. The goal posts are being move from 1.5 to 3 and it will be moved up when we hit 3 and so on and so on.

we have to be optimistic. we have no choice.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i will believe we are starting to take climate change seriously when we stop dying the chicago river green every year

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i will believe we are starting to take climate change seriously when we stop dying the chicago river green every year

wat no that can't be real

ohhh

quote:

Although Daley had originally proposed dyeing part of Lake Michigan green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, he was persuaded by his friend Stephen M. Bailey, who was the business manager of the Chicago Plumbers Union, to dye the more manageably sized Chicago River instead and a tradition was born.

The dye used was originally an oil-based product, but has since been changed to a powder, which ironically is orange, and the formula is a closely guarded secret.

"Illinois EPA has never required a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit so there is no way to know what the dye is or whether it is harmless," Margaret Frisbie, executive director of Friends of the Chicago River, said in a statement to NPR.

:catstare:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

why... does it need to be.... a secret? are they afraid someone else will dye it before they can?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's a secret because it's creating such a verdant, thriving ecosystem in the rivers (dolphins, coral reefs, capybaras etc) that they don't want other cities to steal the lure of chicaco eco-tourism

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol
lmao

there's not really anything stopping chicago from having those things tho is there

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
You put the orange powder in, river goes green, dont over think it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Gravid Topiary posted:

Hey, any recommendations for well-made + sturdy work clothing? Brands, manufacturers, Etsy cobblers, crazy aunts with too many alpacas, annd ideally stuff that can be purchased online. Also steel-toed work boots that have good orthotic support, because I've broken so many foot bones over the years.

My work-clothes that aren't Vietnam war military surplus just seem to rot away after a month or two of intense outdoor work (clearing brush, roofing, digging/damming a water reservoir, laying face down on a field of native grasses and sobbing) and it looks like it's going to be a very busy summer.

kuhl makes a mix of maybe overpriced hiking pants and maybe reasonably priced work pants. these are my go to and I destroy one pair every 18-24 months or so. They will survive a lot of abuse and even being ridden into gravel on dirtbikes and poo poo; exposure to heat and fire / brushing up against hot surfaces is usually what does critical damage. They will tear if they get dragged across nails and stuff, too, but much less readily than a pair of normal denim jeans. I'd be happy to get something cheaper but the combination of comfortable (given a 3-4 week break in period) and hard to destroy in these is, so far, unique. I do poo poo in and around trees for maple syrup ~3 months a year, firewood poo poo ~3 months a year, and find ways to fall out of trees or off moving vehicles an unfortunate amount of the other six. My first pair of these lasted years but I lived in a city and they got killed when I almost got killed by a truck, I think they saved me from getting an insane gash and I only got a lovely ER-inducing puncture wound instead. Now I am on my second pair in five years back in the woods, but I still have the first pair, they are just relegated to beater status.

I haven't worn steeltoes in a long time but I like red wings boots a lot and they have a ton of options. I do often wear helmets, but you didn't ask about helmets. You might want a helmet and eye protection, I don't know what you're doing but I bonk my head a surprising amount.

I've heard mixed things about blaklader; I might get a pair eventually because they have some integral-apron type stuff. these seem very practical if hideous (that's the point of high viz, right?) but I'd really like to watch a pair get dragged across nails and glass and see what it looks like, don't want to spend that money on something that will fail the first time I scrape up against a metal fence or whatever.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 06:57 on Apr 6, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

T-Paine posted:

The air on earth is now filled with tiny carcinogenic plastic particles, which are burning. Here's why that's a good thing.

(accidentaly releases 910 billion tons of carbon into the air & ocean) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I was thinking of this thread when I was doing a lot of my maple syrup stuff this year just because of how much loving plastic is involved. Plastic taps, plastic drop lines, plastic main lines -- none of this stuff is intended to last especially long (1 / 5 / 15 year, respectively). I would assume a lot of the filter media used now is woven plastic poo poo.

Regardless of how much leeches into the syrup, that's just a lot of landfill poo poo.

Oh well, it's also dependent on a pretty specific and already threatened set of environmental conditions to produce at all, so I guess that may become a problem that takes care of itself :sigh: Can't just replant further north even if the climate allowed it for some period; it takes 50+ years for a tree to become productive so you'd need to have planted stuff 10-20 years ago I expect.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Lungs meet atmospheric objects

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Oh well, it's also dependent on a pretty specific and already threatened set of environmental conditions to produce at all, so I guess that may become a problem that takes care of itself :sigh:

Longstanding maple arboretum over

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Raine posted:

yea thats to avoid a 1.5 C world, which isn't going to happen. I'm hopeful for a 2C world but that might not happen. But a 2C world, especially if we get to 2C and clawback, is manageable - it's expensive and we'd rather avoid it, because it will cause more human suffering than not. But the world will continue, and 2100 will still be a richer world than with higher standards of living on average than 2022.

When we don't do anything at all until 2080 or so I think we're looking a hell of a lot more on course for loving 15C than 2C lmao

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

atelier morgan posted:

When we don't do anything at all until 2080 or so I think we're looking a hell of a lot more on course for loving 15C than 2C lmao

The US isn't the world. Europe is moving it's to net zero by 2050, helped by russia's current kick (I think europe will miss it, but by 5 years or less) and China has committed to net zero by 2060. Even in the US, total CO2 emissions have been trending downwards over the 10s even with a growing population and (barely) a growing economy. Business and consumer interest in climate change and sustainability continue, especially in finance centers. Climate action is here to stay, whether the republicans like it or not (not that republicans winning in 2024 isn't bad for the climate - it is. But it's not catastrophic)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You put the orange powder in, river goes green, dont over think it
a bar I used to go to had a cocktail that looked green but tasted orange, so I assume this works the same way

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Raine posted:

The US isn't the world. Europe is moving it's to net zero by 2050, helped by russia's current kick (I think europe will miss it, but by 5 years or less) and China has committed to net zero by 2060. Even in the US, total CO2 emissions have been trending downwards over the 10s even with a growing population and (barely) a growing economy. Business and consumer interest in climate change and sustainability continue, especially in finance centers. Climate action is here to stay, whether the republicans like it or not (not that republicans winning in 2024 isn't bad for the climate - it is. But it's not catastrophic)

Oh man that's a good one

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-06/sydney-prepares-for-another-deluge-event-in-coming-days/100969636
Sydney set for heavy rain as residents warned of flash flooding and landslips
Up to 300mm of rain could fall across NSW in the next few days

Third time in a month.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Raine posted:

syq

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Raine posted:

:thunkgun:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Raine posted:

you're not fooling me, I've seen that avatar too many times

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
noone has ever even tried to explain exactly what a modern industrial nation looks like at "carbon neutral" as far as i know. i mean, it just isn't vaguely plausible and i hate that politicians just trot it out as if just saying it can make it happen.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Raine posted:

lol net zero

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Raine posted:

Limited measures, achieving 0

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

T-Paine posted:

https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1511458234749620231
Did someone send out a memo or something? Why is all this almost-identical cope appearing this week

Lucky mandates asinine objective

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rapacity posted:

noone has ever even tried to explain exactly what a modern industrial nation looks like at "carbon neutral" as far as i know. i mean, it just isn't vaguely plausible and i hate that politicians just trot it out as if just saying it can make it happen.

Okay you know those photos of the Qatar world cup stadiums air conditioner vents? Do a quick Google search for "Qatar air conditioning stadium". That's a carbon neutral stadium. That's what a carbon neutral industrial country looks like. Just spewing massive amounts of CO2 into the air with some accounting tricks to claim it's carbon neutral. Carbon offsets for trees that don't expire when the trees burn down and poo poo like that.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Lunatic mammal annihilates ocean

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rapacity posted:

an I Love Lucy style assembly line where we frantically try to carbon capture the oil as we're refining it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rapacity posted:

All the power and organization of industrial society worldwide would have to be turned towards reforestation and soil amendment (which are as far as I'm aware the only carbon capture methods that aren't moonshot techno nonsense) as the single largest work activity globally by a significant margin and that would need to be the case despite a huge decrease in efficiency of everything across the board from massively cutting everything that makes a fuckload of emissions (like all aircraft, fueled shipping, loving concrete, etc etc)

i have no idea if even that would work but certainly nothing less comprehensive could

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Apr 6, 2022

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rapacity posted:

I also like that the original post references China saying it will be "Carbon Neutral" on it's own self reported figures in 40 years as a good thing. Europe will do it in merely 30 years.

Like we aren't already out of time now. Like the temperature rise we have already experienced isn't critical and we have another few decades to reach the bare minimum of some of the world technically not emitting specifically carbon on paper. While coal plants are being fired up right now on the promise than in 30-40 years their operation will be offset somehow.

That's one of those copes where someone has a blank checkbox.

"Is something being done somewhere by someone at some point?"
"Yes"
"What a relief"

So it doesn't matter that we are currently in for between 2c-3c and if we magically went carbon neutral today would still have an unknown amount of temperature rise preloaded from delay in emissions to their affect on the climate. We can just wait until it's guaranteed 3c-4c or 4c-5c and the virtue of someone taking a step considered positive for the climate after that point is apparently good somehow even if it would already be useless today, 40 years in the past.

You can stop worrying about climate change because the last humans hiding from the acid squids they eat in the bedrock caves of Antarctica will be carbon neutral. They will be motivated by things other than emitting carbon. What a relief.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Apr 6, 2022

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

All the power and organization of industrial society worldwide would have to be turned towards reforestation and soil amendment (which are as far as I'm aware the only carbon capture methods that aren't moonshot techno nonsense) as the single largest work activity globally by a significant margin and that would need to be the case despite a huge decrease in efficiency of everything across the board from massively cutting everything that makes a fuckload of emissions (like all aircraft, fueled shipping, loving concrete, etc etc)

i have no idea if even that would work but certainly nothing less comprehensive could

Large machines accelerate obliteration

Let's make aircraft obsolete

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rapacity posted:

noone has ever even tried to explain exactly what a modern industrial nation looks like at "carbon neutral" as far as i know.

easy: write "10 tons of Emissions" on a paper, pay someone else(es rulers) to hold that paper, WALLA you have 10 tons less Emissions

then make a global rule you can only have a coupla tons of Emissions and sanction and invade anyone trying to go above

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

every part of the phrase “net zero by 2050” is such an overt admission of the absolute lack of even a token effort to do anything that it’s honestly kind of breathtaking

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
everyone pay me money to neutralize the carbon you emit

This will help you feel better and be considered positive for the environment

You can also keep emitting carbon

also don't ask me what I'm doing with the money

$1,000,000,000 in administrative fees is to ensure we are more efficiently neutralizing your carbon

What's that about my yacht? I'll just pay someone to neutralize my carbon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

2050 is 28 years away
28 years ago was 1994

in 1994 I was watching OG teenage mutant ninja turtles and playing SimCity 2000 on our amazing new 800x600 monitor

augh