Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Hey, I know that curve! I’m surprised there’s still so much snow on Lookout, we were in Golden that weekend and there wasn’t any to speak of.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
i went for a ride around there this morning, its pretty much gone now

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yup! Lookout is my winter and spring go-to for getting some easy turns in.

(From Saturday)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Beautiful weather in Portland today so I rode around Forest Park on the Monkey.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dad screen on a monkey, now I've seen everything

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

May as well put 100 mirrors on it now.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I need to put the OEM mirrors back on. I'm done loving around with these tiny bar end mirrors.
But, all my bike parts and tools are in a storage unit 250 miles away.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Finally found the time to snap a single terrible picture of the XSR. Man, I missed riding so much.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That color scheme rocks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This little shitter has now done 4000 miles since I picked it up in September. Rode it all the way through the UK winter where I've found out that I'm somewhat undergloved in terms of warmth for longer rides but fine everywhere else. It has been utterly faultless which is surprising considering how cheap it was and that it's a Chinese manufactured ride. Managed to acquire a nail in the rear tyre which resulted in a slow puncture and me trying out that tyre foam stuff to get it to a spot to put some new rubber on it. It now wears Michelin's finest scooter tyres and feels less like it's going to murder me if I actually lean the bike over. I definitely think I'm going to get a bigger bike at some point though once I've got my full license.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've only got about 400 miles in on my Triumph T120, am still enjoying it more and riding it better every time I take it out (and it started at a high point for me).

The PO installed a very large removable Madstad (mad dads?) windshield, and also gave me the Triumph "Long Haul" windscreen that's a bit shorter. Even at its lowest position, my head's still in the buffeting zone, so I'm chasing the dream: trying the shorter OEM screen in the hopes it takes the wind-press off my chest but leaves my head in clean air.

So below is as pretty as it's gonna get, windscreen removed. I tried it out naked on the freeway, but at 75mph or so I can't even hold a loose grip on the bars. I need a windscreen, but unlike the Madstad the Triumph is not quick-release, so once it's on it's on. It'd already be on tonight but I ran out of light as I determined the Madstad mounts would in fact have to come off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

This '18 VanVan 200 is my other fancy lad, I've put about 1,000 miles on it in the last 4 months since I started riding again. It feels impossibly light at times, and may be as close to a scooter's use case as one can get without buying a scooter. Not remotely an off-road bike, but it is a joy to ride on gravel and begs me to ride it across peoples' lawns every day that I ride it to work. Coffee holster equipped. Yes I realize I've won hipster bingo inadvertently with these two product choices but they're also really nice machines to ride.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remy Marathe posted:

Not remotely an off-road bike,

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-qnwVtoMI

it's not not an offroad bike

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Dude I think I watched that video a dozen times while I was researching the vanvan. Also this frustrating-to-watch video of a newbie taking it to the trail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwJaAY7YVNI

So I guess your point is made, it IS remotely an off-road bike. I think I'd want taller bars or something if I was going to do even established trails like the above, I'm pretty small and it's still really awkward to stand on or load the pegs.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

4000 miles since I picked it up in September.
On a 125, in the winter, you are officially riding the poo poo out of that thing

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 6, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah that was mostly in jest, I'd pick the TW over the VanVan for all the reasons that make it less of an offroad machine. You CAN take any bike offroad but the more of a hassle it is with any given model, the less appealing it becomes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who has spent a lot of time offroad on a VanVan.....

Yeah, they aren't super great offroad bikes, but they won't complain too much, they won't break, and they're really awesome everywhere else

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

Dad screen on a monkey, now I've seen everything

I just ordered a rear rack + box for it, too. What else am I missing?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hippo hands

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You have managed to get that cleaner than any bike I rode through UK winter. Mine somehow got irrevocably grimy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Heated grips
Saddlebags
Crash bars
Highway pegs even if they don't work
Spotlights bolted to the crash bars

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Highway pegs even if they don't work

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just took a quick blast to Harbor Freight after uncovering the Duke from winter slumber. I had almost forgotten how good it is on back roads.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Remy Marathe posted:

On a 125, in the winter, you are officially riding the poo poo out of that thing

I used to cycle to work year round for 7 years so my tolerance for poo poo weather conditions is pretty high. The one thing I've noticed is that after it rains and the roads are still wet is the worst time to ride due to all the road grime getting thrown up onto your visor. I prefer the rain, it at least keeps your visor clear!

knox_harrington posted:

You have managed to get that cleaner than any bike I rode through UK winter. Mine somehow got irrevocably grimy.

I highly, highly recommend Bilt Hamber's Surfex HD cleaner/degreaser diluted a little less than standard. I spray it on, agitate it with brushes then rinse off with a hose. Sometimes needs a couple of treatments in certain areas but has worked really well for me. I live down country lanes surrounded by farms so I get to wash it every couple of weeks, the recent sunshine spell meant I got to ride in the dry for maybe 9 days straight and it was heaven :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First real ride of the year!. (Was short on time, hence only had time for a picture at the gas station).
Loving this bike even more. Only had 1 real ride on it last year and I was still very tentative, but a fair bit more comfortable on it now.
Still can't believe how much easier cornering is on this.

Only complaint is that it seems to turn some car drivers into psychos. I've been doing minor errands on it the last few weeks and the other day, a guy in a Jeep, of all things, tried to race me off the lights.

Today, on the way back, I was overtaking a Toyota SUV, dual lanes, no drama, no other traffic, through a bunch of sweepers...until he then first matched my speed (130-ish) and then started to accelerate even more...and so nearly lost it as he drifted wide (away from me) in the turn and was a couple of inches from hitting the concrete barrier and potentially flipping over and down the cliff.

Why?? I mean, the bike is not even working hard, I'm still in second gear and got oodles of grip and power available (maybe not talent, but still).

Anyway, so good to get out, so good to get the bike out of 1st gear :D. (Even had it in 3rd a few places).

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

You’re just riding around at 130kmh in second gear? Is there something wrong with the other four gears? I’m not advocating for lugging the engine but you’ve got to be working the thing way too hard just cruising on the highway in second gear…

Be careful out there - people are loving nuts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My zx10 redlined at 170kmh in first gear. The only thing being damaged is his wallet cause those things are thirsty; the bike's barely awake.

More pertinent is how you can have all that power and still somehow have an altercation with a 4x4, why didn't that guy just instantly become a speck in your mirror?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

My zx10 redlined at 170kmh in first gear. The only thing being damaged is his wallet cause those things are thirsty; the bike's barely awake.

More pertinent is how you can have all that power and still somehow have an altercation with a 4x4, why didn't that guy just instantly become a speck in your mirror?

But is that how you normally rode it? Just first gear all the time? Like, why not use the other gears on the highway until you need to kick it down a couple to dust the Toyota?

I know sport bikes are ludicrous speed, just seems weird to ride around in second gear all the time. I’m not trying to start anything, just curious if this is what’s happening.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Well, partly because it was in a turn and partly because I was just minding my own business. I was in the outside lane, as I get closer, the closure rate decreases. I check my speedo to see if I'm slowing down somehow (It was uphill too), nope, now we're going same speed and then he completely floors it and nearly crashes. There was no back and forth, but it was very obvious an reaction to me trying to pass him.

3rd gear, I'm still kinda just outside the fun (warp) zone at the speeds I'm going. 4th+ would be pointless. The route is mostly a bunch of sweepers, switching between 1-2 lanes. Also, I'm still getting used to this!. Taking some of the turns at speed on the Guzzi was hard work, where this is almost too easy and I'm still wary of my lack of experience on this machine.
It is however a dream to ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Riding a sport bike makes other drivers want to see you go fast, regardless of what they’re driving.

It’s less that they think they can beat you (lmao at a jeep even attempting that), and more that they know the bike is fast and they want to see it go fast.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Could be. I never got that reaction on the Guzzi, although that was far more of a conversation starter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imperador do Brasil posted:

But is that how you normally rode it? Just first gear all the time? Like, why not use the other gears on the highway until you need to kick it down a couple to dust the Toyota?

I know sport bikes are ludicrous speed, just seems weird to ride around in second gear all the time. I’m not trying to start anything, just curious if this is what’s happening.

Just in a straight line no, I would use the highest gear it could comfortably run.

In the corners absolutely yes. Literbikes simply don't function properly if you aren't in the efficient part of the engine's range. In practical terms this means between 5-10,000rpm, so if your bike redlines at 12,000, and that equates to 150-170 in first gear, the only way to corner properly is to be in second gear for basically every corner (first is usually unmanageably snatchy). This is part of what makes them boring and lame after the novelty wears off and why skilled riders tend to gravitate towards smaller bikes when they reach a certain point of their riding career.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, partly because it was in a turn and partly because I was just minding my own business. I was in the outside lane, as I get closer, the closure rate decreases. I check my speedo to see if I'm slowing down somehow (It was uphill too), nope, now we're going same speed and then he completely floors it and nearly crashes. There was no back and forth, but it was very obvious an reaction to me trying to pass him.

3rd gear, I'm still kinda just outside the fun (warp) zone at the speeds I'm going. 4th+ would be pointless. The route is mostly a bunch of sweepers, switching between 1-2 lanes. Also, I'm still getting used to this!. Taking some of the turns at speed on the Guzzi was hard work, where this is almost too easy and I'm still wary of my lack of experience on this machine.
It is however a dream to ride.

This makes total sense, I forgot you're coming from a bike with no power and garbage handling :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

This makes total sense, I forgot you're coming from a bike with no power and garbage handling :v:

Now you're sounding like my riding partner: "I told you! I told you!".

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
You could lose the top 4 gears in pretty much any liter bike and it would not be affected for street use. The only time I ever hit 3rd or higher on my FZ-1 was slab, and it wasn't because the bike was pinging off the rev limiter (it wasn't even close)

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jeep drivers have been among the worst I seem to run into, and they quietly have an even dumber culture surrounding ownership. Such a niche thing it's not as obvious, I only (unfortunately) had to learn about it because a coworker in the past who was obsessed with them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The “Jeep wave” is one of the dumbest things too. It’s the way you wave at anyone without taking your hand off the wheel but because Jeep people wave at each other it’s a ~Jeep Thing~ you wouldn’t understand. We just called it the country wave when I was growing up because when you drive around in the country you give people that little wave just to say hey there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I learned about the "Jeep Wave" well after I started riding motorcycles and was familiar with the Real Wave and was like awwwww. It's like a baby pretending to shave next to his dad

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is it any different than the motorbike wave?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Bit odd seeing motorcyclists of all people gatekeeping acknowledging someone else driving the same kind of vehicle as you, but OK.

(full disclosure, I own a Jeep but am not a mall crawler cultist)

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is it any different than the motorbike wave?

It's the peace sign without letting go of the steering wheel. Jeep turned it into a marketing campaign that's unintentionally hilarious b/c 1) their version of the logo looks reeeal close to the shocker 2) they apply it to marketing for all Jeep vehicles and only Wrangler drivers do it

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 8, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jazzzzz posted:

Bit odd seeing motorcyclists of all people gatekeeping acknowledging someone else driving the same kind of vehicle as you, but OK.

(full disclosure, I own a Jeep but am not a mall crawler cultist)

It's not acknowledging the same kind of vehicle, it's acknowledging the same brand of vehicle.

It's like harley riders only waving to other harleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Jeep culture is spending $80,000 on off-road accessories for your $50,000 Jeep, breaking something the first time you actually take it off road and decide offroading isn't fun and then daily driving around town with all your hi-lifts and rotopax and giant tires

Edit: so basically ADV culture

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 8, 2022