Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I'm too dumb to read conventional watches. Digital or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

granted this describes a lot of championships but it's why people still don't particularly love Vettel or Schumacher (or maybe that's just the english-speaking media being biased)

Schumacher more than proved himself from 1992-1994. Also, the reason the guy doesn't have like 11 championships is that he intentionally nerfed himself between 1996-1998, and was injured in 1999.

In 1997 he nearly was WDC despite driving what was likely the 4th best car.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Feels Villeneuve posted:

we can talk about how the Dominos Pizza Rolex Air-King is now worth more than the standard Air-King

rolex prices are dumb anyway

still want a datejust though

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The actual greatest fraud WDC in history will always be Mansell lol

I've come around on Nigel a bit, honestly. His 1992 is indeed pretty loving fraudulent (BAD SEASON), and he did take forever to win a race, but his performances from 1985-1991 deserve praise. I also appreciate his aggressive style, as I am also a driver that is incapable of setting up a car or providing good feedback. With regards to that aggressive style though I notice the mostly British press and fanbase criticize Senna for being over aggressive and making marginal moves (which is warranted) but never seem to bring up Mansell's insane amount of retirements, both mechanically induced and otherwise.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He also threw away 1986, 1987, and arguably 1991.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Charles Leclerc posted:

Exactly, look at this exquisite timepiece

Just so much passion. Clearly for a man of taste.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I can’t find a watch that won’t burn a big angry band into my wrist because I’m allergic to everything.

Watching the season reviews of the Mansell years is a entirely different thing without the taint of whatever strange grudge Brundle has against him, that also that allows him to refer to Johnny Herbert as a legend and Damon Hill as a world drivers champion with a straight face.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Herbert is fairly lousy, Hill had flashes of brilliance here and there but also made absolutely braindead moves and choked at critical moments.

Hill was so, so bad in 1995. Coulthard was somehow even worse. Both were in a car better than it's rivals but failed to win either a WDC or WCC.

I wonder if Michael went to Ferrari even a year earlier how he could have done. The 412T was a really good car.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Frond posted:

I'm too dumb to read conventional watches. Digital or bust.

you don't wear watches to tell time anymore

they are accessories now

everyone still just checks their phone

unless you have an Apple Watch in which case I use that for a lot of stuff.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

boop the snoot posted:

no

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

boop the snoot posted:

they are accessories now

unless you have an Apple Watch in which case I use that for a lot of stuff.

I check my Casio so I don't pick up my phone.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i'm very anti watch

time handcuffs is all they are

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like wearing a watch. It helps me feel fancy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

In 1997 he nearly was WDC despite driving what was likely the 4th best car.

Behind the Williams, McLaren, and Benetton…? (Just trying to keep that era’s tier list straight)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I wear my Garmin Fenix 6 Pro™ every day and it tracks every time my heart rate increases when I look at Mansell's excellent moustache

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

Behind the Williams, McLaren, and Benetton…? (Just trying to keep that era’s tier list straight)

Berger (who was loving ancient at that point) won in the Benetton after missing a shitload of races.

I never really got the Schumacher appeal until I watched his early Ferrari years, he is just amazing with a car that clearly is not up to the task. It reminds me a lot of the Marquez hate in MotoGP now where people seem to hate him on the basis that he won a shitload of championships but when you look of the results of anyone else on that Honda or see how much he forces that bike to do what he wants its hard to really hate him.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I wish I could wear a watch without smashing it the first day at work

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Russian Bear posted:

Since F1TV has all the old seasons of F1, what are some of the best classic races to rewatch? Any era.

2020 Sakhir, 2020 Monza.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Frond posted:

I check my Casio so I don't pick up my phone.

This is exactly my use case scenario. I didn't think it would be something I cared about, but it's drastically lowered the amount of time I waste on my phone. Also, a watch you have to charge every day or even every other day is stupid. Smart watches are only good for reminding people how good watches are, and how you should wear a Casio.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m ambivalent about watches as fashion but extremely anti-timekeeping as a concept.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m ambivalent about watches as fashion but extremely anti-timekeeping as a concept.

Sounds like something McLaren would say for this season

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I like my Samsung smartwatch, wearing a casio gives off big 'contributor to GNU/Linux project and configure my own gentoo install' vibes ngl

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Charles Leclerc posted:

I like my Samsung smartwatch, wearing a casio gives off big 'contributor to GNU/Linux project and configure my own gentoo install' vibes ngl

I think this very specific type of projection says more about you than it does the watch.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Wear a garmin - it throws people off the goon scent.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Casio's Alpha Tauri model is one of the least offensive F1 watches I've seen. In the grand tradition of motorsports-inspired watches, it does still look quite tacky, but there have been and are far worse:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
why does it have all those words all over it?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Yeah. The McLaren that year was actually really good just extremely unreliable.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Berger (who was loving ancient at that point) won in the Benetton after missing a shitload of races.

Yeah he was 38, recovering from sinus surgery which greatly effected him in earlier races, and his father had just passed a few days before. Really feelgood win.

One thing that exemplifies just how bad that field was is Larini scoring points in Australia after being out of a car for 2 seasons and out of a full time ride since 1991.

Frond fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 6, 2022

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like my modern TAG Heuers because they’re cheap knock-around watches amongst the luxury brands. Like, if I lose an Aquaracer while swimming, I’m not going to be heartbroken. But a Superocean is going to hurt.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

boop the snoot posted:

I think this very specific type of projection says more about you than it does the watch.

I mean this is SA so it's on brand at least

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I can’t find a watch that won’t burn a big angry band into my wrist because I’m allergic to everything.

Most watches have removable bands, I mostly wear a dive watch on a nato band, but it came with a metal band.

boop the snoot posted:

they are accessories now

My phone isn’t rated for 40m and I don’t think it can handle salt water, so I wear a watch when diving.

Only one of my motorcycles has a clock so a watch helps for riding too.

In the office a watch is my jewellery since the world isn’t progressive enough to accept the public display of my butthole piercing as a statement of individuality.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/BaronVonClutch/status/1511671643793362948?s=20&t=L0ZBPaoVZxVJGUtPlRWvdQ

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Charles Leclerc posted:

I mean this is SA so it's on brand at least

Yeah, in that no one has used or thought about Gentoo Linux since about 2003.

learnincurve posted:

Dunno, but that definitely adds to the ugliness. I think maybe people who watch motorsports tend to have bad taste.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 6, 2022

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Me reading an LC post

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Having another Feel Good day and I wanted to wish all of my fellow F1 posters the most #blessed vibes.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I wear a g-shock because I'm an american GI from 2006 with a fridge full of cocaine energy drink and 10 kids by 10 different mothers at the age of 19.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Full Collapse posted:

Having another Feel Good day and I wanted to wish all of my fellow F1 posters the most #blessed vibes.

I stubbed my toe and am currently on the phone with an orthopaedic surgeon in Spokane Washington to find out if my spline will burst two weeks from now

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I still can't quite figure out how to feel about Luxury G-Shocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Gigi Galli posted:

I wear a g-shock because I'm an american GI from 2006 with a fridge full of cocaine energy drink and 10 kids by 10 different mothers at the age of 19.

I like G Shock watches.

Never worn one but I like them.