Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

It's really simple. Your window probably has a "Euro" style lock. All you typically need to know for the handles is the "centres", that is the distance from centre of fixing hole to centre of fixing hole.

Feel free to send me a photo of your window/handles and I'll help you figure out what you need, if you like.

Window handle chat:

Just had a convo with one of the sellers of window handles - it occurred to me that I could simply swap out the spindles from the existing handles and put them in the new handles as there's nothing actually wrong with the old ones they just stick out too far, and she has just confirmed it. So I'll get the ones with the longest spindles (subject to depth of my window).

Covid chat:
My niece's partner has tested positive for covid. My mum was with them. My mum tested negative this morning and so she has gone to church and planning to do her shift in the charity shop this afternoon. Meanwhile, she is imminently arriving at mine to eat her lunch in between her saintliness activities. Double masking. My colleague got it a couple of weeks ago and despite all the various vaccinations, has been really ill with it. And no amount of 'it takes a few days to show up, negative doesn't mean you don't have it etc, mum is stubborn. I had pneumonia about 20 years ago and have always suffered from respiratory 'weakness' I do not want to get this new version covid which seems to be making some people really poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Xuo4PNfR4

Page snipe:

100 how many years old I will be in 38 years and 20 days. :corsair: :corsair:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Shockingly, it's not about that though is it? Whilst I might forgive or even support a PC repair shop breaking customer confidentiality to report a crime, they can go gently caress themselves for revealing my Asian babe fetish.

I suppose they'd get fined for breaching data protection but afaik there's no possibility of a criminal charge, just a fine.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also who gives a poo poo about cleaning their wheely bin?

NORMAN

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sunak's popularity taking a dive. Wonder how much behind the scenes anti-Sunak briefing is going on by Big Dog's fans.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1511646245223288832?s=20&t=kvJbDwUZiemHHy6QThM-vA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sunak's popularity taking a dive. Wonder how much behind the scenes anti-Sunak briefing is going on by Big Dog's fans.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1511646245223288832?s=20&t=kvJbDwUZiemHHy6QThM-vA

It's Gove and his supporters. It's literally always Gove and his supporters.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

State of the nation:

Lots of graphs:

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

State of the nation:

Lots of graphs:

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/

I've never seen so much talking from the arse in one article. They freely admit that the Brexit Party made the 2019 results anomalous and yet they model off a "what if" anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

State of the nation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdrkG9nzXw

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yes pretty cool, good going guys.

https://twitter.com/conor_matchett/status/1511606935988154370?t=sgv1_8cTXxa-Rv1x95UMFw

Oh...

https://twitter.com/ScotTories/status/1511634031640727554?t=Nv8YfhqvWikt9CELzF55Hw

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

"Interesting" colour choice.

Is it just my imagination or is the transphobia thing a lot closer to the surface in ScotPol than in the rest of the UK? Is it just because the SNP have been considerably louder (if somewhat inconsistent) in supporting trans rights than any other mainstream party, making Scotland more of a lightning rod?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Interesting" colour choice.

Is it just my imagination or is the transphobia thing a lot closer to the surface in ScotPol than in the rest of the UK? Is it just because the SNP have been considerably louder (if somewhat inconsistent) in supporting trans rights than any other mainstream party, making Scotland more of a lightning rod?

Scotland has an extremely sketchy history with homophobia, and anything relating to queerness in general. Shamefully, homosexuality was still a criminal offence in Scotland as late as 1980. The religious community is still decidedly conservative in nature and all the major parties have significant chunks of their membership who affiliate themselves with the various flavours of hard-line Christianity.

The SNP have been dragged into a reluctant supportive position on trans rights by the grassroots. If it wasn't for the huge spike in membership post 2014 they'd still be dodgy as hell and taking donations from Brian Souter.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 6, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Shockingly, it's not about that though is it? Whilst I might forgive or even support a PC repair shop breaking customer confidentiality to report a crime, they can go gently caress themselves for revealing my Asian babe fetish.

The question is not 'would this be morally good', it isn't, the question is whether it would happen.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Window handle chat:

Just had a convo with one of the sellers of window handles - it occurred to me that I could simply swap out the spindles from the existing handles and put them in the new handles as there's nothing actually wrong with the old ones they just stick out too far, and she has just confirmed it. So I'll get the ones with the longest spindles (subject to depth of my window).

In my experience the spindles of window handles (unlike door handles) tend to be permanently attached to the handle (glued/brazed/welded - not sure). But yeah in any case you can definitely get the longest and cut down if needed.

Also in my experience, the people you get hold of on the phone selling window stuff often haven't really got a clue what they're talking about.

You could call my old trade supplier, Quest Hardware. They're very good and if you call them up you'll almost certainly get somebody who knows their stuff. They're mainly a trade supplier but they'll sell to anyone: https://www.questhardware.co.uk/doo...cranked-locking

Also I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions even if you don't end up buying from them. They're mostly Plymouth Brethren which is a bit of a weird/insular religious group I've talked about before - but they are quite friendly and helpful.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 6, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

In my experience the spindles of window handles (unlike door handles) tend to be permanently attached to the handle (glued/brazed/welded - not sure). But yeah in any case you can definitely get the longest and cut down if needed.

Also in my experience, the people you get hold of on the phone selling window stuff often haven't really got a clue what they're talking about.

You could call my old trade supplier, Quest Hardware. They're very good and if you call them up you'll almost certainly get somebody who knows their stuff. They're mainly a trade supplier but they'll sell to anyone: https://www.questhardware.co.uk/doo...cranked-locking

Also I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions even if you don't end up buying from them. They're mostly Plymouth Brethren which is a bit of a weird/insular religious group I've talked about before - but they are quite friendly and helpful.

Thanks What.

Half my family came out of the Plymouth Brethren - my grandad chose to leave when he was 16.
I've ordered them now - longest spindles - so it's too late!
I shall find out!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This thread is loads slower since the Ukraine war started. Why is that, is everyone watching the news about that instead?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The massive "don't know" for Truss is brutal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All our russian funding got blocked and now we don't post.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

This thread is loads slower since the Ukraine war started. Why is that, is everyone watching the news about that instead?

Honestly I think since at least Christmas most of us are just completely burned out on politics. There's just so much happening, in every direction but somehow always away from good, that we'd all rather just talk about window handles, man engines, and hot asian babes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Honestly I think since at least Christmas most of us are just completely burned out on politics. There's just so much happening, in every direction but somehow always away from good, that we'd all rather just talk about window handles, man engines, and hot asian babes.

Pretty much this. Which I guess was probably also how this thread was pre-Corbs.

(asian babes and man engines sounds like some kind of euphemism, not sure how the window handles fit in tho)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
hot man handles, window babes, and asian engines

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Pretty much this. Which I guess was probably also how this thread was pre-Corbs.

No, it was fairly active then too, but we were all younger and angrier then.

feedmegin posted:

not sure how the window handles fit in tho

I'll PM you some links.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yup

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, it was fairly active then too, but we were all younger and angrier then.

Also yup

I think the final assassination of jeremy corbyn by the coward british establishment really did a number on most of us

it's easier to not have hope at all than to have it and then have it so blatantly, brutally taken away again

....and then everything else happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am still an engine of ceaseless omnidirectional rage if it makes you feel better.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

I am still an engine of ceaseless omnidirectional rage if it makes you feel better.

Thanks for keeping it up, Owlie

I've had to quit for health reasons, although I can't deny I do go on a bit of a bender every now and then

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Before Corbyn this thread was full of unironic maoists, people who were really mad about Scotland, and P***flaps.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

There really isn't much new in British politics to go into. Ukraine dominates everything understandably.

I'm not disengaged entirely but there's only so many times you can point and laugh at Kieth having no spine before you lose the armour of detachment and remember how bleak things are and will remain for the foreseeable future.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1511729349204103170

:allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Being of a scientific frame of mind I thought I'd take a look back - March 2022 had 85 pages, March 2021 had 171, and March 2020 had *281*. Actually I still have the Python scripts I used to build ukmt.db kicking around somewhere, I might dust them off and chart the decline and fall because at least it's content, right?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't wait till GB news and all their presenters also get tagged with that poo poo.

Though I do wish Twitter would apply the same policy to BBC journalists, image the tears of rage from James O'brien.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't he work for RT?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They keep inviting his hat and he's included in the contract.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't he work for RT?

Yeah and he hastily took it out his Twitter bio when everyone started pointing it out

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Noxville posted:

Yeah and he hastily took it out his Twitter bio when everyone started pointing it out

Haha, yup. This his archive org snapshot from January

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have 400 thousand followers on twitter and I wish to speak to the manager

Apparently rising online tankie/nazbol superstar caleb maupin also got hit with that for basically the same reason and had basically the same reaction, I think him and galloway are friends.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Being of a scientific frame of mind I thought I'd take a look back - March 2022 had 85 pages, March 2021 had 171, and March 2020 had *281*. Actually I still have the Python scripts I used to build ukmt.db kicking around somewhere, I might dust them off and chart the decline and fall because at least it's content, right?

In March 2020 we were all in lockdown and posting hot takes itt was all we had to do after our one permitted instance of outdoor exercise per day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah 100 pages a month feels about right for the beforetimes, then DCFADP, Brexit, Covid.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
WHOMST AMONGST UST COULDST HAVEST PREDICTEDST

https://twitter.com/patrickjbutler/status/1511599725346275333

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I just can't pay too much attention to politics right now, it's too depressing. I'm still reading some stuff but trying not to get too absorbed. I'm mostly ignoring war coverage which I feel bad about but... what can I do? I'm also actually experiencing improvements in my anxiety and I'm not sure if that's because I've started ignoring stuff more or if it's just a coincidence but I don't want to make myself spiral if I don't have to.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I find that copious amounts of :420: stop me from going into a full-on depressive anxiety cycle. It certainly helps to narrow the spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Restricting how much useless information goes into your brain is good practice, IMO. You have access to more information than anyone else in history but this has also come with a form of decision paralysis which in turn gives greater prominence to information curators, what you would call a content feed or news site, where the selling point is that you don't have to figure out what information you want to consume, you can plug your brain into the curator and it will simply pump information into you until you tell it to stop.

The perverse incentive, of course, is that such curators do best when you feel like you can never stop, thus they will be full of things that are designed to get you to keep consuming, and a very effective form of that is the same foul tricks that work everywhere else, fear of missing out, anxiety, self doubt, emotional appeals, all of which are employed to make you feel bad for stopping consuming, while also making you feel a different kind of bad whilst you consume.

I find a general useful practice is to have a framework for how the world works and to use that in lieu of actual information to appraise new concepts, if you want to you can look into them in more detail but I guarantee you that a basic left wing worldview/framework combined with a decent bullshit detector is going to give you a far better view of the world than any amount of news consumption.

Which is why I largely limit my media consumption to watching weird niche enthusiasts on the internet go on about their hobby because it is a pretty good antidote to conventional content streams, the style is rarely designed to get you to buy poo poo or feel bad about not watching enough, you're just watching someone talk about poo poo they like, as a normal human, and the stuff is usually complicated enough that you can find it interesting too.