Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is like the Hannibal show, except the motorcycle got murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Blood Bike Eagle

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did you also try to install a kickstarter?

Fake edit: Might be hilariously bad but .. I'll say it .. I think it loos sexy as gently caress. Every Buell I've seen IRL has been very drool worthy, to me. I just love the aesthetic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honestly they are fantastic bikes to ride and if they had been able to do 1-2 more model cycles of not-stupid development to iron out the numerous bugs (instead of finding new and exciting dumb poo poo to do) and fix the worst aspects like the switchgear, they could've been something really cool.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I can't shake Buells from triggering "MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE/NEW RIDER" in my head since THE place to learn how to ride in my hometown was a harley dealership and their learner bikes were all buell blasts. Every weekend you would see the primary color Red Yellow Blue motorcycles circling around the parking lot around 5 mph.

I admit I liked the look of the ulysses when it came out because the ADV bikes at the moment were all massive but the Ulysses looked slender.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bike is almost together! Did most of the remaining short of the tail today. New (OEM) exhaust is almost on after some kerfuffle with me not understanding how to remove the old jammed exhaust gasket. Have a few things remaining but I think my goal will be to get fluids in the bike by Sunday. Very anxious but optimistic that no leaks, no smoke, no bang (well, except for the good bang).

I’m pretty pumped that I got to do this, even if adding up what this bike has cost me is turning this into an Arrested Development meme. “It’s one DRZ400, how much could it cost? $15,000?”. By pumped I got to do this, no one should read that as “I’m glad I punched a hole in my motor by doing a botched kickstarter install”, but since you can’t change the past I’m pretty thankful for this learning experience all the same.

I’m not even remotely close to $15,000, even if it does feel that way sometimes

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Three hours later:

Low compression?

e: for sexy moto bondage pic love

Gorson fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 1, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clutch back together, chain on, everything torqued down nice and tight. Just the coolant overflow hose left to install then coolant and oil and I should be ready to crank the DRZ on actual gas this weekend.

I think I installed the clutch cable and cable connector to the little splined shaft that operates the basket pushrod, but the rear wheel is still really hard to move by hand with the clutch lever fully pushed in. In my head this is because the engine is cold, it’s 1c in my workshop, and the plates are sopped in fresh viscous oil. I had a tiny panic attack that I did something wrong with the clutch before I applied some critical reasoning.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 2, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Low compression?

e: for sexy moto bondage pic love

Intake manifold leak :negative:

some kinda jackal posted:

Clutch back together, chain on, everything torqued down nice and tight. Just the coolant overflow hose left to install then coolant and oil and I should be ready to crank the DRZ on actual gas this weekend.

I think I installed the clutch cable and cable connector to the little splined shaft that operates the basket pushrod, but the rear wheel is still really hard to move by hand with the clutch lever fully pushed in. In my head this is because the engine is cold, it’s 1c in my workshop, and the plates are sopped in fresh viscous oil. I had a tiny panic attack that I did something wrong with the clutch before I applied some critical reasoning.

Totally normal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agree. That little critical thinking was the difference between me being here to post this and me having unnecessarily disassembled the clutch again in frustration.

I *DID* have an unnecessary disassembly moment with my stator cover though. All my gaskets are green and for some reason I used a different black gasket on that side. I also assembled that side a few weeks ago so all of a sudden I had a weird “oh poo poo did I actually install a gasket there??” moment. Removed the starter motor connecting gear and loosened the bolts on the stator cover enough to pull it back just enough to where I saw a thin black sheet flapping between the two sides so wiped my brow and snugged everything back together.

For the life of me I’m not sure why I didn’t use the green gasket from my kit, other than I think I just had this black one lying around for some reason. Ah well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m just going to drop this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8AnEd9c-f8

Literally cannot thank everyone who put up with my inane questions over the past few months. I am very certain I would not have had the balls to do this without everyone’s help.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*nods* good work

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

^^^^the IRL thing bike mechanics do when someone completes a big job and it doesn't blow up, it's the best you'll get so take it^^^^

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah, nice work.

Slavvy posted:

^^^^the IRL thing bike mechanics do when someone completes a big job and it doesn't blow up, it's the best you'll get so take it^^^^

He's right you know.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Literally cannot thank everyone who put up with my inane questions over the past few months. I am very certain I would not have had the balls to do this without everyone’s help.

gently caress yeah! So ehy didn't you use your new kickstarter in the video? ;)

But seriously, very happy for you and I am glad you managed to come back around to it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

gently caress yeah! So ehy didn't you use your new kickstarter in the video? ;)

I’ll have you know the kickstarter is propping up the iPad taking the video so it’s playing a very important role in this.

Slavvy posted:

it's the best you'll get so take it^^^^

I was told there would be a party :mad:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

dang it I wanted to be the first with a kickstarter joke

Nice work, buddy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha the excitement of knowing all of the work you did actually *worked*, and that the engine didn’t blow up is a great feeling

Congrats!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's not being ridden in the video, let's not get carried away people

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There still could be a world of transmission fuckery, that’s true

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Too true. I can tell you first gear works but beyond that it’s still a mystery! Need to adjust chain tension tomorrow but I’ll try to get it on the street at least. So pumped :3:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 3, 2022

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Got all the luggage added today. I now officially have more lockable storage space than a 2021 Goldwing! (138L vs 121) Overall I'm happy I spent the extra money for the OEM Honda stuff. These are key matched to the ignition, are significantly slimmer profile while still being larger than most equivalent aftermarket options, and all three come off easily by lifting a handle when unlocked.

I also think I've discovered why Honda had to make their bikes so reliable. If you needed to actually access the internals more often than every 30+ thousand miles nobody would be willing to work on the drat things. I swear every single piece of bodywork is a puzzle box of clips, fasteners, and nuts. While the FSM is consistently excellent at describing how to get about 95% of the disassembly done, inevitably one of the steps is described as "un-clip the fastener" when in reality it takes a very specific combination of bending and sliding to undo.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BabelFish posted:

Got all the luggage added today. I now officially have more lockable storage space than a 2021 Goldwing! (138L vs 121)

you can also get into your luggage if the bike's battery dies without jumping through hoops

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What's all the smoke coming off of it? Just grease burning off the header or something?

I changed my oil, oil filter, brake pads, brake fluid. My question: the service manual states to replace the caliper mounting bolts with new bolts. Is this actually necessary or just Honda being overly cautious? The bolts are referred to as "pre-coated (ALOC) bolts" -- I've bought one of these before, and it appears to just be a bolt with some loctite already applied. Or are they actually single-use bolts, and I need to replace it with a "normal" bolt if I want to reuse it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah that'll be oil burning off the header. It's kind of inevitable anytime you're working on a bike and handling the exhaust. Even a couple of greasy handprints is enough to smoke when it gets hot.

Re.. the caliper bolts, I would double check with slavvy, but I don't think there's any problem reusing the bolts as long as they're clean and intact. Clean them off and put new loctite on them, of course, but it's not like the bolt itself is single use.

There are certain bolts in some situations that are single use. For instance, torque to yield engine head bolts, where the bolt is designed to stretch as part of the tensioning, and once you've stretched it you can't do it again. Because this is on your brakes, I would double check this with the local professional motorcycle mechanic. But I personally haven't heard of torque to yield caliper bolts so I think it's fine

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 3, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that's Honda being psychotic and thinking a mechanic can't possibly replicate their proprietary thread lock coating or some dumb poo poo, just slam them back in with some blue loctite.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yep. The smoke is from when I thought I was being smart and using a measuring cup to pour the oil into the drz’s tiny awkwardly placed filler hole and dousing the front of the bike with oil.

I cleaned most of it off but inevitably some remained on the header.

Put the finishing touches on the bike today. Tensioned the chain, bent over the front sprocket retaining washer which I forgot to do yesterday. Just for fun I installed the Tusk pannier mounts I bought last year before blowing up the bike. Took it on a brap around the block to make sure everything is ok and no major issues I think. Just too cold to go any further in the gear I own.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 3, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I got around to put the carbs and air box back on my 88 tenere, always a joy to get the different air intake tubes to properly slide on to the carb openings especially on bikes where there is no real room to wiggle or apply force in the correct direction.

You see one side here, the black plastic 90ish degree angle bend near the oil tank. one on each side, to the strange dual carb. The air box straddles the top rail of the frame so you cant really wiggle and get both tubes on at same time.
I ended up having to open up the air box completely to be able to pop the top end of the high rpm carb air intake properly up into the air box again.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I finally got around to doing the first post-purchase oil change on the Bonneville and continued my work as a cautionary tale. I'd previously confirmed my filter removal tool would fit, no worries about the sump plug, so I forged ahead and got it all drained after some struggle getting my oil pan to fit under it.

And then discovered the oil filler cap is some weird-rear end proprietary doo-dad. Great time to learn this. The slot was too big for a driver to bite and internally curved, the outer edges too big for any of my wrenches save a plumber's wrench. Spent some time scratching my head over how to tackle it without scratching it up, but the internet came to the rescue with the idea of a big ol' washer, which I do have and worked great. It is now an official Triumph T120 Oil Filler Cap Removal Tool (tm).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can't just turn the outside part by hand? Or at least by hand with a rag?

If you tried that and it was too hard to turn, that means the last person to do it overtightened it. Filler caps get screwed on finger-tight and no more.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Re.. the caliper bolts, I would double check with slavvy, but I don't think there's any problem reusing the bolts as long as they're clean and intact. Clean them off and put new loctite on them, of course, but it's not like the bolt itself is single use.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah that's Honda being psychotic and thinking a mechanic can't possibly replicate their proprietary thread lock coating or some dumb poo poo, just slam them back in with some blue loctite.

:discourse:

That's what I thought, but wanted to double check. I see people at the track take their calipers off and on no big deal, but thought there may be something they know that I don't.

Sagebrush posted:

You can't just turn the outside part by hand? Or at least by hand with a rag?

If you tried that and it was too hard to turn, that means the last person to do it overtightened it. Filler caps get screwed on finger-tight and no more.

The slot is inverted, so you need a washer, or perhaps a shilling.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No but I mean can you not just grab that ridged part around the outside and turn it?

Or is the ridged part fixed in place, and the oil cap is only the center part with the slot in it to unscrew it?

If the latter, why the gently caress would they do it that way?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ah, yeah I didn't notice those little finger ridges. :shobon: I would expect just the smaller piece to come out based on the way it all looks, though.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Yeah it was pretty far from being hand-spinnable (did try w/ rubber gloves), it required a good twist with a pliers grasping the big washer to crack, definitely overtightened.

I redid it washer-tight then the tiniest plier twist, which was again overtightening it but not quite as badly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao yeah I realise that normally

Sagebrush posted:

No but I mean can you not just grab that ridged part around the outside and turn it?

would be the thing to do, but it's a triumph so the cap is metal and more resemblant of the timing inspection plugs common on japanese bike stator covers. I literally have a filed down chisel somewhere for this express purpose.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Got my new arrow Paris Dakar replica exhaust on.

Had the usual fuckery with oem vs after market and wiggling poo poo into place while pushing poo poo in other directions. Got it tight in the end.
I also learned why the PO had no oem header nuts, they're utter poo poo.
Too long for the small space they're in. The two middle ones that hug the frame is totally crap to work with. The most slim Walled 10mm t handle socket may work but any normal tools be it sockets or spanners can't grip or fit properly so you can easily round them off

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I replaced the stock footpegs on my CB300R with rear sets. I stole a cable reel stand from work and hoisted my bike up by the passenger pegs. It worked out! It felt a little sketchy because it was super wobbly, but once the weight of the bike was on it, it felt a little more planted.

I didn't think to take a before picture. I think they look all right. Not too blingy.

The pegs have 4 positions. I put them in the farthest back (67mm) and up (47mm). Seems OK just sitting on it. I'm going to go back with my boots and make sure everything feels right, then tighten it all down. Getting the rear brake light relay mounted was by far the biggest pain, then the springs.

Old pegs

Right

Left

Little bit of paint from a curb at Sonoma.

Honestly probably half of that was probably from my 2nd track day where I was just scraping everywhere. I got a lot better about avoid it, but still would scrape often enough to be annoying, hence the rear sets. Last thing to do is put on the new tires, but might just pay someone for that...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What i did to my bike today was finally ride it.

Turns out the Goldwing is perfectly camouflaged for extremely brown Wisconsin Springtime.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~~ Luxurious ~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What i did to my bike today was finally ride it.

Turns out the Goldwing is perfectly camouflaged for extremely brown Wisconsin Springtime.

This picture smells like cigarettes and beer