Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That design is fine with low traffic and slow speeds, but that street doesn't look appropriate for it at all. They should have removed the on-street parking instead.
Theoretically I think it depends mostly on the number of cars. The street may not look like an appropriate street but ideally the actual process of doing this this should make it feel more appropriate.

I think it would be better if they could have colored the bike parts or something to make it look more like the examples from the netherlands because it makes the middle part feel narrower:

It would have been good if they could have made this work because it could be a very easy way to implement traffic calming and make things better for bikes but I feel like the hosed it up by not doing more outreach.

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:34 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe the reporters just made it look busier by selectively using footage of busier moments idk.

That photo from the netherlands is a good example of where it seems like it works better, and not just because of the paint--that street is much narrower, is tree-lined, and obviously only has one lane. Oh, and it has limited car access rather than a million driveways and on-street parking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe the reporters just made it look busier by selectively using footage of busier moments idk.
That is probably true. It might very well end up working fine if they leave it but now that so many people are complaining they'll probably remove it and never try it again.

To be fair, this might be an approach that works better once people are really use to bikes being around everywhere once there is other bike infastructure already.

I just wish the US could figure out how to actually do traffic calming though. We're so amazingly bad at it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's a nice idea but it doesn't work in a car world where there are literally no rules. I say just add a shitload of speedbumps

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Can't they just make the traffic go in one direction or are one way roads a mystery in San Diego

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beached Whale posted:

Can't they just make the traffic go in one direction or are one way roads a mystery in San Diego
Presumably people who live along the road would complain, especially if it's a wide road and they took the extra space away from cars to give it to bikes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is me anytime I have to drive.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

San Diego said they have no plans of restriping it any time soon. The previous striping was double yellow with sharrows, which is uncomfortable for everyone involved. Maybe people will learn to like this more?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This is me anytime I have to drive.

We get it, you're in the wrong thread and you haven't figured out how to leave

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

Well considering the reporter saw this and said "What if I see an oncoming car, panic, and swerve into a cyclist without looking," I wouldn't bet on it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Very smart reporter. Sees a street with a new dynamic and says "I won't modify my behavior at all. I might just have to kill someone."

mystes
May 31, 2006

The road may still very well feel too wide for this to actually work but I guess it would be good if it does work out, because california has lots of roads like this that don't have that much traffic but are just way too loving wide, and even if it's not perfect, if this can successfully calm traffic somehow without doing things like removing parking that will cause residents to freak out, they could just roll it out on all the excessively wide low traffic roads when they repave them.

I wish people would look at the types of traffic calming that have been implemented in the Netherlands though. It seems like we just don't understand the basic idea of making roads FEEL slower.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
all that streetside parking in front of single-family homes, every single one with driveways is pretty hosed up.

I hate street parking so much

mystes
May 31, 2006

From another news piece: "Drivers now have to shift into the bike lanes which is tough to do when there is a biker there" (as if the idea of slowing down has never occurred to them)

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

i looked the road up on google maps and it seems like it shouldn't get much through traffic. the traffic will mostly be the residents that live there. with low volume it should be easy to navigate imo.

i live in suburbs that have 2 lane roads, but the driveways and garages are too small for everyone's comically oversized circus vehicles so tons of people permanently park on the road. lawn care trucks, work vans, delivery vehicles, RVs etc are also regularly parked everywhere. functionally 50% of the neighborhood is 1 lane roads and its completely fine. you just take turns and wait for the other car to pass. seems like that set up is actually worse than the road in the video but as far as I can tell people aren't crashing into each other constantly because of it. you just go slow and pay attention

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

whining about traffic calming measures that KEEP THRU-TRAFFIC OFF THE STREET YOU LIVE ON is such self-defeating car-brained idiocy

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
been thinking about falling down a lot lately

realized the catalyst for his meltdown and suicide by cop across the city was, of course, because of loving traffic. lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Minera posted:

realized the catalyst for his meltdown and suicide by cop across the city was, of course, because of loving traffic. lol

it's great when people document the earliest beginnings of a larger societal trend.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQfqxrPD_nk

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

seriously just put that poo poo in the op

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

chain probes for car brains

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh poo poo! Open season on the L.A. freeway!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Minera posted:

:aaa:

He tried to break away from car brain in the worst way possible tho

The more things change the more things stay the same is a dumb boomer tier aphorism only because of willful inaction and ignorance. This isn’t that. It’s an open pustule in the sores of America that has long festered and calcified so same poo poo everyday is more apt

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Minera posted:

seriously just put that poo poo in the op

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

:aaa:

He tried to break away from car brain in the worst way possible tho

firing aa bazooka into road construction was pretty epic though

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

We get it, you're in the wrong thread and you haven't figured out how to leave

do not feed trolls, harass them in their own homes.

Zerg Mans has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Apr 6, 2022

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mystes posted:

even if it's not perfect, if this can successfully calm traffic somehow,

In america, I don't think any lane / paint measures will succeed in calming traffic. we've grown too sociopathic as a society, nobody will slow down unless ~actually forced to~ by speed bumps, obstacles, curb cutouts, etc.

Just look at that 50-car pileup in Pennsylvania last week... snowing hard, zero visibility, and everybody's still driving 70mph because "gently caress You, leave me alone and get out of my way"

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mystes posted:

I just wish the US could figure out how to actually do traffic calming though. We're so amazingly bad at it.

I hope the extremely hosed up country that constantly tells everybody that they should be mad about or afraid of everything can figure out how to calm down

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, who needs winter tires? My bald all-seasons are plenty!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Just look at that 50-car pileup in Pennsylvania last week... snowing hard, zero visibility, and everybody's still driving 70mph because "gently caress You, leave me alone and get out of my way"
You see, cars are the essence of personal freedom, where the government can't tell you what to do. Wait, what do you mean I have to slow down? Why hasn't the government plowed the road and magically made the fog go way so I can drive above the speed limit all times regardless of the fact that it's snowing?

Edit: Also, I just gave in and finally ordered an ebike.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
national speed limit of 65 mph. anyone going above 65 gets their license suspended for five years.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

national speed limit of 65 mph. anyone going above 65 gets their license suspended for five years.
The single best thing for safety would just be to have gps speed limiters. Like they could go ahead and raise the speed on highways and lovely stroads if they absolutely had to just as long as in exchange there could actually be hard limits in residential areas and when limits were set they could be 100% enforced.

While some places have speed limits that are too high, the biggest problem with speed limits is just that they basically don't exist except on paper 90% of the time.

mystes has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Apr 6, 2022

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

love when I'm going like 5 mph over the speed limit on a bicycle and some rear end in a top hat still overtakes me lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also everyone hates tickets (automated or otherwise)... imagine if you just literally never had to worry about speeding tickets?

But it's impossible because ~freedom~ (to break the law)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mystes posted:

The single best thing for safety would just be to have gps speed limiters. Like they could go ahead and raise the speed on highways and lovely stroads if they absolutely had to just as long as in exchange there could actually be hard limits in residential areas and when limits were set they could be 100% enforced.

While some places have speed limits that are too high, the biggest problem with speed limits is just that they basically don't exist except on paper 90% of the time.

the entire concept of having a "speed limit" that is self-enforced unless you get caught is stupid as all hell. If I don't put a lock on my door, just a note saying "You Are Not Allowed To Break Into My House" - it might not make the act of entering without consent any more or less legal, but it definitely raises the chances of it happening.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

God Hole posted:

love when I'm going like 5 mph over the speed limit on a bicycle and some rear end in a top hat still overtakes me lol

love when I'm on a bicycle and matching speed with the car in front of me, and the car behind me still honks and gets furious

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think there's no way it would have worked like this if cars were invented now. The problem is that when cars were invented the only other option was governors with a fixed maximum speed, and once the car companies were able to convince people to reject the proposal for 25mph or whatever was originally being considered before cars won the war for the streets, limiting cars to a national maximum speed of 65mph or whatever wouldn't have done very much (although they still should do that honestly).

But now that it's actually technically possible, nobody will accept it because 1) ~freedom~ and 2) everyone is so used to the assumption that everyone is speeding all the time that they'll freak out at the idea of actually enforcing speed limits (even though, again, you could just raise the limits slightly to make up for this; you could also just have the hard limit be 5mph over the speed limit but I think that's a worse idea).

Polo-Rican posted:

love when I'm on a bicycle and matching speed with the car in front of me, and the car behind me still honks and gets furious
When I was living in NJ before, after a period where I was too afraid to even try biking, I was biking down a steep hill going the exact speed of a car in front of me (which was going to same speed as the car in front of it, which was probably above the speed limit) and a car tried to pass me and then... had nowhere to go. Like I guess they just assumed I must be going slow because I was on a bike and didn't even to bother to look if it was possible to pass? This was annoying because it was like this very small section where I actually had to be in the road (and it was too narrow to be safe unless I just took the lane) before reaching a kind of sidepath thing but I decided to take a less direct route after that because I just concluded that NJ drivers literally couldn't deal with being behind a bike on that hill.

mystes has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Apr 6, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mystes posted:

When I was living in NJ before, after a period where I was too afraid to even try biking, I was biking down a steep hill going the exact speed of a car in front of me (which was going to same speed as the car in front of it, which was probably above the speed limit) and a car tried to pass me and then... had nowhere to go. Like I guess they just assumed I must be going slow because I was on a bike and didn't even to bother to look if it was possible to pass?

might not even be a bike thing in this case (it absolutely was tho), the amount of absolutely useless laneshifting, to move ahead maybe six feet total while still traveling the same speed and being surrounded by the same people, that I see on a daily basis is maddening. where are you going? do you think this shortens your commute by some meaningful length? or are you just trying to entertain yourself by making driving a game?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

might not even be a bike thing in this case (it absolutely was tho), the amount of absolutely useless laneshifting, to move ahead maybe six feet total while still traveling the same speed and being surrounded by the same people, that I see on a daily basis is maddening. where are you going? do you think this shortens your commute by some meaningful length? or are you just trying to entertain yourself by making driving a game?
I love to gamify my commute by pointlessly increasing the chance of dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

edit: forget it! i was wrong lol

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Apr 6, 2022