Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Since we're on the topic of Hanna-Barbera, bought the Blu-Ray set for Jonny Quest and man they did a great job with it, very crisp image quality, really lets you appreciate how gorgeous the art and design work is, and even the comparatively limited animation looks good because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Pass. I know Korra got better with time but I'd much rather just have Avatar be lightning in a bottle than trying to expand it Star Wars-style into a big universe/ timeline where everybody is related to one another and every important figure in history is only like 3 degrees of separation away from one another.
that's what Avatar already is lol

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Easier to ignore ancillary Avatar stuff than Star Wars though. Nobody's been to a sad, plastic Kiyoshi Village and bought a $27 mimosa.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And it's naturally built into the setting that a bunch of people who get involved with a new Avatar will be related in some way to old characters. It's not like it's a coincidence.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 6, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Though the Kyoshi books are legitimately great, they’re also pretty firmly in “PG-13” territory by visualizing and depicting violence in ways that the original shows never would have been able to get away with, considering how hamstrung they were by the network.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Though the Kyoshi books are legitimately great, they’re also pretty firmly in “PG-13” territory by visualizing and depicting violence in ways that the original shows never would have been able to get away with, considering how hamstrung they were by the network.

That said, Korra got away with some pretty dark poo poo at times

Hell, some recent Disney shows have gotten away with a fair bit (like a human character getting stabbed through the chest on screen in Amphibia )

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 7, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Larryb posted:

That said, Korra got away with some pretty dark poo poo at times

Hell, some recent Disney shows have gotten away with a fair bit (like a human character getting stabbed through the chest on screen in Amphibia)

oh poo poo so someone got Leomon'd in an american cartoon? drat

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neeksy posted:

oh poo poo so someone got Leomon'd in an american cartoon? drat

Technically she survives and is turned into a puppet for the main villain but yeah (that show gets DARK as it goes along)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 7, 2022

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Lotta spoilers today huh

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

And it's naturally built into the setting that a bunch of people who get involved with a new Avatar will be related in some way to old characters. It's not like it's a coincidence.

Yeah I mean I know the Avatar cycle intrinsically links all of the Avatars, what I more meant is that I'm worried that even all the side characters will be linked. Like there'll be a story with an older Avatar and an Earthbender will appear and they'll make sure to mention they're a Beifong so the audience can go "ooohh like Toph!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really like the idea of Avatar Expanded Universe stuff.

Absolutely rolling my eyes at a theatrical movie and new series being announced as "starting production soon". It should be smaller stuff like that Kyoshi book. Some mini-series y'know? When something's announced as looking to begin production of something that big later in the year, I take it as not likely getting made.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

MorningMoon posted:

I really like the idea of Avatar Expanded Universe stuff.

Absolutely rolling my eyes at a theatrical movie and new series being announced as "starting production soon". It should be smaller stuff like that Kyoshi book. Some mini-series y'know? When something's announced as looking to begin production of something that big later in the year, I take it as not likely getting made.

Absolutely rolling my eyes at this logic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The best thing Avatar ever did the first time around was know when to stop. Shame they didn’t stick with that. More media should just end and move on to new things.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But the money, tho.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

All I want is an Avatar series that is about the next Avatar in the cycle and it's all about the avatar world space race. Not a conflict, really, just a couple of the nations attempting to be the first to put someone on the moon. It requires the Avatar a.) incase something goes wrong, and b.) in case sending someone to land on the moon upsets Yue and they need to have a spirit diplomat handy.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Air benders discover they can use nuclear fusion by bending hydrogen and helium.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Elman posted:

Air benders discover they can use nuclear fusion by bending hydrogen and helium.

Nuclear fusion requires incredible heat and incredible pressure to overcome the Couloumb barrier, so only the Avatar, master of all four elements,

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d kind of like to see an Avatar series set in modern day if only to see how bending works in a more technologically advanced world (also it’d be funny to see Korra as a spirit guide trying to mentor the new Avatar).

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Come And See posted:

Lotta spoilers today huh

Larryb, you seem to have missed this comment, but it's about you. Please be more careful about spoiling major events from series which are still recent/unfinished.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

Larryb, you seem to have missed this comment, but it's about you. Please be more careful about spoiling major events from series which are still recent/unfinished.

Oh sorry, I figured since the episode in question was about a year old at this point it’d be ok. I’ll go back and tag it properly

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 7, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

I’d kind of like to see an Avatar series set in modern day if only to see how bending works in a more technologically advanced world (also it’d be funny to see Korra as a spirit guide trying to mentor the new Avatar).

If you're going to do an avatar after Korra you pretty much either have to kill her off young or go modern day tech or beyond.

Or they could jump a few avatars down the line and pull out the old concept art from when Aang had been frozen a thousand years and was from a since-fallen high tech cyberpunk civilisation lost to time and his robot sidekick momo-3

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 7, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MikeJF posted:

If you're going to do an avatar after Korra you pretty much either have to kill her off young or go modern day tech or beyond.

Or they could jump a few avatars down the line and pull out the old concept art from when Aang had been frozen a thousand years and was from a since-fallen high tech cyberpunk civilisation lost to time and his robot sidekick momo-3

Oh I imagined the new show taking place at least a few decades after Korra like that series was to ATLA (also Toph is somehow still alive).

Though given Korra’s personality I potentially could see her going out young as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 7, 2022

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Inkspot posted:

Easier to ignore ancillary Avatar stuff than Star Wars though. Nobody's been to a sad, plastic Kiyoshi Village and bought a $27 mimosa.

....Yet

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What is that post referencing? Sad, plastic village with overpriced drinks is stirring some memories in me.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Electric Phantasm posted:

What is that post referencing? Sad, plastic village with overpriced drinks is stirring some memories in me.

Presumably the Star Wars Disney theme park thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elman posted:

People start punching open new spirit portals everywhere so they can lay highways and railroads through the spirit world as shortcuts LOOK SPIRITS IF WE STOP DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT WOULD DO TO THE ECONOMY

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MikeJF posted:

Tbf killing off Korra young is like the natural end point of that series where half the storylines are depression and making GBS threads on her inability to do anything without a nagging adult

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MikeJF posted:

People start punching open new spirit portals everywhere so they can lay highways and railroads through the spirit world as shortcuts LOOK SPIRITS IF WE STOP DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT WOULD DO TO THE ECONOMY

P sure this is that one Zelda game

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing i really want from a new avatar anything would be more sick fight scenes

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Larryb posted:

Oh sorry, I figured since the episode in question was about a year old at this point it’d be ok. I’ll go back and tag it properly

We good. I'd be caught up but the most recent seasons of shows haven't hit streaming yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Had an idea in this vein, would be set about 200 years after Korra's time, the protagonist and current Avatar is the fifth* since Korra and is an Earth Bender who only was discovered to be the Avatar about a year or two before the show starts(his immediate predecessor died as an infant without being discovered at all, so everyone spent the last 20 years or so looking for a Water Bender), and well the world is basically a complete shithole at this point, so this Avatar has a ridiculously uphill battle if they want to achieve anything meaningful

*yes five Avatars in a 200 year period is a lot, basically Korra gets assassinated a couple years after the end of the show, and as for the four that are between her and the new one, well her immediate successor makes it to their 60's before dropping dead from a heart attack or stroke due to stress and poor diet, the next one makes it into their mid 80's but spends just under 60 of those in a coma, the next one dies in their early 30's fighting a war, and as mentioned the one immediately prior to the current Avatar died as an infant

drrockso20 posted:

Hence why things go so badly for the four Avatars between Korra and our new Avatar, by his time Korra is in many respects the most hated person in the world(and Aang and Roku aren't considered much better) as most of what's gone wrong in the world is pretty much considered her and her two immediate predecessors fault

I remember as a teen thinking it would end up being a knockoff of Fullmetal Alchemist in terms of setting except with Bending in place of Alchemy

Well since we're on the topic of ideas for future Avatar series, might as well quote my ideas from when we discussed this idea a couple years ago

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’d love something like the next Avatar being a punk rocker metalbender because Raava just loved the irony, and the awkward past life conversations that ensue when it turns out that he wrote and sang a lot stuff ragging on Korra in particular.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want an avatar who has to get most of their spirit advice from the previous avatar who was a lovely and bad person and generally looked upon very unfavorably by history

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ninjewtsu posted:

I want an avatar who has to get most of their spirit advice from the previous avatar who was a lovely and bad person and generally looked upon very unfavorably by history

So Korra's successor :v:

I'm kidding

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually come to think of it, after the events of season 2 would it even be possible for a successor to contact any pre-Korra Avatars anymore?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Actually come to think of it, after the events of season 2 would it even be possible for a successor to contact any pre-Korra Avatars anymore?

Always figured one of the major plots for a series for a post Korra Avatar would be repairing the links between past Avatars that Korra broke

Though one of the tie-in books apparently hints that Korra broke it for All future Avatars and not just the ones before her which arguably makes it even worse

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

No but they've tweaked the rules before to make the story they want to make happen. All they have to do is handwave it and say that the next rebirth fixed the cycle or some bullshit if they want to talk to other Avatars

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I just figured that the simplest explanation would be that Korra restarted the cycle, and she’s the Wan when it’s finally her time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I just figured that the simplest explanation would be that Korra restarted the cycle, and she’s the Wan when it’s finally her time.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I always assumed as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Season 2 of Green Eggs and Ham was released on Netflix today