Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Where is the weird hat in the rot lake?

I killed the tribal guy for his medallion (good) and the dragon guy (just loving runes are you kidding me) and picked up the dragon man katana

But no hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Horizon does let you Skyrim jump up half the mountains. I got all those altar relics without bothering with the obstacle course..

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's a level in the new Final Fantasy Nioh that lets you basically change weather between sunny and raining. Except it's more like between blinding color saturation and raining. I tried playing that game when I felt a migraine coming on, since it's fairly mindless even with its difficulty, and holy poo poo I had to stop at that level, every time the sun came out the stabbing pain in my temple got so much worse, and usually my migraines aren't vision-induced.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

Where is the weird hat in the rot lake?

I killed the tribal guy for his medallion (good) and the dragon guy (just loving runes are you kidding me) and picked up the dragon man katana

But no hat

In the corner in some ruins. I think it would be the southeast corner. You have to climb up a ramp to the top, and the body with the hat is on a pillar you have to jump to. There is a ton of basilisks in there as well.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The fourth case in The Great Ace Attorney has a woman (she's both a witness and a juror) who does a whole "I'm just a dainty little old lady, don't mind me!" schtick, while physically abusing her husband (or whoever's next to her if her husband isn't around). This is played for slapstick and laughs, with an air of "Oh, calm down, she's just a harmless little old lady", and there's even a part where she seems to insinuate that she doesn't WANT to hit her husband, but she just can't help it! He just won't listen to her, she'd stop hitting him if only he'd behave! :allears:

Maybe it's just my 2022 Brain right now, but the whole thing is rubbing me the wrong way. I hope she's the victim of the next case. :colbert:

The previous game(s) had a character, Franziska von Karma, who physically abuses those around her, and this is also played for laughs. I guess it didn't really skeeve me out as much due to the lack of romantic relationship between her and the other characters?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I feel bad that Horizon ZD released at the same timeframe as BOTW because it seemed like solid enough game on its own merits but the climbing thing invites unfavorable comparisons.

Uncharted style glorified-QTE climbing can go ahead and die ten years ago tbh.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Philippe posted:

It's an exceptional dinosaur hunting game, but the climbing leaves a little to be desired.

Using white as a marker in a game with a lot of snowy areas made a few of the climbing sections annoying for the wrong reason.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

This isn’t a little thing for a particular game but just modern gaming in general. I got the urge to play Apex Legends again after not having played in a few years (Octane was the newest hero when I last played) and the download size is 97 drat GIGS! And I know that’s not even the worse offender as the newer CODS and Warzone where closer to 200 for a time.

With my good internet connection it’s gonna take like 2 hours to download this again and I already feel my spark of “yeah that sounds fun to play again real quick” is already fading. But it just irks me that optimization and compression is such a lost art nowadays. The burden is on us to have the storage space for 1 drat game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Read After Burning posted:

The fourth case in The Great Ace Attorney has a woman (she's both a witness and a juror) who does a whole "I'm just a dainty little old lady, don't mind me!" schtick, while physically abusing her husband (or whoever's next to her if her husband isn't around). This is played for slapstick and laughs, with an air of "Oh, calm down, she's just a harmless little old lady", and there's even a part where she seems to insinuate that she doesn't WANT to hit her husband, but she just can't help it! He just won't listen to her, she'd stop hitting him if only he'd behave! :allears:

Maybe it's just my 2022 Brain right now, but the whole thing is rubbing me the wrong way. I hope she's the victim of the next case. :colbert:

The previous game(s) had a character, Franziska von Karma, who physically abuses those around her, and this is also played for laughs. I guess it didn't really skeeve me out as much due to the lack of romantic relationship between her and the other characters?

Did you finish the case? One thing I really like about Great Ace Attorney is that all of those weird character animations and quirks aren’t for nothing.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

RyokoTK posted:

Did you finish the case?

Not yet, I'm cross-examining the London bobby and his girlfriend right now, they're explaining that the way the windows open/close means that no one could hurl an object out of them. For all I know, the lady is the actual killer, she just sucks rear end. :shrug:

I'm definitely gonna keep playing, I love this series! I was just hoping this plot point wasn't as...crappy as it seemed.

NOTHING will top the annoying-rear end drunk defendant in AA6. That just reminded me how much I hate when people write out "drunk speak" in dialogue....just throw in a couple "*hic*s", I don't want to have to parse out "SHO WHAT YER SHAYING ISH, THE WITNESH WAS SHUDDENLY-" dialogue.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Apr 7, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Read After Burning posted:

NOTHING will top the annoying-rear end drunk defendant in AA6. That just reminded me how much I hate when people write out "drunk speak" in dialogue....just throw in a couple "*hic*s", I don't want to have to parse out "SHO WHAT YER SHAYING ISH, THE WITNESH WAS SHUDDENLY-" dialogue.
I hate that with a passion.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Forbidden West expands on Zero Dawn's climbing by expanding the areas you can grab in to quite a bit, so you're still climbing in a general area but it often depends less on finding the single intended path. But then the whole traversal system feels weirdly looser and buggier than the first game, I spent way more time redoing traversal puzzles because Aloy didn't *quite* latch on to to a handhold or just *barely* missed landing on something, and fell back down as a result.

I think what annoyed me more in FW, is that they saw the complaints about climbing in ZD being a single path marked with yellow paint, and decided that the yellow paint was the important part. So you still have the linear climbing paths but now they're marked out with the AR overlay instead. Problem solved. :thumbsup:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think that kind of makes sense. The yellow paths in Zero Dawn are supposed to be brave paths, that Nora scouts use to get around. It was reasonable to find them in the Embrace, where the Nora live, but less so as you're getting further away.

Seeing climbable paths highlighted with your Focus means that there's not as much yellow rope and poo poo strewn around.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't aim for poo poo in Cyberpunk on PS5. I dunno what weird choices CDPR made when figuring out these controls but despite playing a tonne of other console FPSs I can't hit the side of a barn here.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

CitizenKain posted:

In the corner in some ruins. I think it would be the southeast corner. You have to climb up a ramp to the top, and the body with the hat is on a pillar you have to jump to. There is a ton of basilisks in there as well.

Just to add to this, it’s an empty swuare shaped structure on the far side of the lake. Go around the left hand side and there’s a ramp that leads up above it. You’ll be able to look down into the structure and see the item on top of a pillar.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Necrothatcher posted:

I can't aim for poo poo in Cyberpunk on PS5. I dunno what weird choices CDPR made when figuring out these controls but despite playing a tonne of other console FPSs I can't hit the side of a barn here.

I just put every perk point in body and run around with "non lethal" shotguns and machine guns. Little aiming is required.

The game isn't particularly well-designed for console, though. From emulating a mouse-pointer on the menus to pixel-perfect aiming for things like the hacking, it's not a great port.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got to that one fight in Tales of Zestiria in the ruins where Rose becomes able to Armatize and you get the wind dash power but that fight totally kicked my rear end. What's the trick to the game, is it grinding money/weapons to fuse to make more powerful skill combinations? If so that's what I'll start doing after this dungeon.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can't believe BioEnchanted is playing a half-functional wreck of a game that's relatively modern for once.

As far as I can tell, that fight is supposed to suck by making you whittle down half the dragon's HP with virtually no access to its weakness so that when the phase changes you're so appreciative of wind damage you overlook Dezel revealing he's Rose's weird stalker-groomer.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, but even after that happened it was doing SO much damage to me that I still had to revive a bunch just to get back to the armatus that was it's weakness. Is that boss just a difficulty spike that will now settle down? Part of it is in-battle movement is weirdly awkward. You kind run only along a single axis too and from the enemy in free-run mode and to run in a different direction you have to quickstep around it to change the angle, so sometimes the dragon just got me stuck in the geometry and I couldn't get away.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
For that specific problem, there's a button you can hold to move freely. I think it's L2 by default. It won't solve everything because Zestiria's grand experiments in battle layouts and cameras largely crashed and burned, but I hope it does something for you.

For the boss in general I can only offer my sympathies, I remember it being a very specific pain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THanks. I'm overall enjoying the game, I like the story and the characters, it's just starting to show the cracks.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I actually liked the yellow paint climbing guidance in HZD because it took out the guessing game part of trying to get collectables that are high up... most of the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On the one hand, I understand that people hate Horizon 1's climbing. But on the other hand I don't know what people want if they don't provide an example of that.

Do you want Mario platforming or Assassin's Creed climbing from Odyssey onwards or Prince of Persia or what? I can't see any other game copyign Spider-Man's movement system, but something kinda similar to Attack on Titan might work. Give your character a belt with grappling hooks in it and a pair on their wrists and you can attach them to higher points on a wall and swing up to a higher point, anchor yourself there and then do it again and pendulum yourself up a cliff could be neat I guess, if you can't just pick a high point and zoom straight to that.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Forbidden West's climbing system felt like the worst of both worlds to me.

It's not really guided, since the climb points are pretty much all over the place, and usually covering very large areas. But then they can also just turn off the climbing entirely by arbitrarily removing the points, and forcing you to take the path they want, so it's not reallyfree either.

And when you do have that free climbing available, it can be really finicky to get Aloy to actually go in the direction you want, even if clear climbing points are within reach and in the direction you want to go. So the moment to moment experience just tends to be worse than the entirely guided system of Zero Dawn.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Ghost of Tsushima had the kind of climbing that Horizon wants, i.e. not actually a gameplay challenge but looks cool and gives you great vistas and has just enough nodes placed across the map that you feel like you can do it anywhere you'd want to.

but now that it's on the table yes I do want literal Mario platforming in Horizon with no changes made to any other aspect of the game

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I liked The Saboteur's climbing system, One of the things I felt it did right was highlighting the ledge you were going to move toward next, so you knew if it was in range and weren't surprised by suddenly climbing somewhere else when you pressed the button.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saboteurs was dragged down by having to hit the button everytime instead of being a hold

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think Ghost of Tsushima had the kind of climbing that Horizon wants, i.e. not actually a gameplay challenge but looks cool and gives you great vistas and has just enough nodes placed across the map that you feel like you can do it anywhere you'd want to.

but now that it's on the table yes I do want literal Mario platforming in Horizon with no changes made to any other aspect of the game

Now I am picturing Alloy doing the Mario long jump from N64 while yelling "YAHOOO" and it is adorable, genuine thanks!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My Lovely Horse posted:

with no changes made to any other aspect of the game

Or, you could also swing robot dinosaurs around by their tails to hurl them into stuff

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are games that flopped because they outright insulted their audience?

I'm talking stuff that had a good premise that would appeal to a niche audience, only to drench itself in a layer of derisive meta-commentary.

YIIK is well covered example. Back in 1995 is a game a crappy retro-game that apes the old Resident Evil and Silent Hill. only to outright insult players for having nostalgia for the time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nuts and Bolts comes to mind. I actually really liked it but the bit at the beginning where they pretend it's going to be the proper sequel people have been waiting years for, only to go "psyke! What kind of idiot would like that, here is the real game" was certainly a choice

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm talking stuff that had a good premise that would appeal to a niche audience, only to drench itself in a layer of derisive meta-commentary.

YIIK is well covered example. Back in 1995 is a game a crappy retro-game that apes the old Resident Evil and Silent Hill. only to outright insult players for having nostalgia for the time.

It's been discussed to death, but Spec Ops: The Line lost money and I think that failure was at least partially caused by the ham-handed moralizing to the player

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The DMC remake is probably the poster child of this. If I recall correctly the director of the game insulted fans of the originals all the time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't think it's the singular reason Wildstar died but it sure didn't help.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

The DMC remake is probably the poster child of this. If I recall correctly the director of the game insulted fans of the originals all the time.

it probably would have overcome that if the game itself was any good, but it most emphatically was not

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think it's the singular reason Wildstar died but it sure didn't help.

Similarly, the marketing for Mighty No. 9 was probably among its smallest problems, but it sure did get a lot of negative press.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

The remake of the first Dungeon Defenders. Absolute unfinished garbage

Edit: the meta commentary being that I can’t play certain 360 games on Xbone still. No I don’t want to learn new games, I have an irrational desire to play Gundam Dynasty warriors again

HAmbONE has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Apr 8, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Horizon does let you Skyrim jump up half the mountains. I got all those altar relics without bothering with the obstacle course..

Is that where you hug the wall and make incremental hops up the slope? Haha I used to call it the Morrowind Hop. But I guess it's built into all Elder Scrolls games.

Speaking of open world RPGs, I just got Outer Worlds and there are two things that immediately annoy me. The first is that there is no mantling. I believe we are at a place where first person games that allow you to jump around all over the place should also allow you to mantle. A jumpy FPS without mantling feels as weird in this era as an FPS without jumping did by the late 90s.

Second: I like violence in video games, but come on. I attacked a person from behind once with my knife and what remains of them is a mutilated torso that has had its head and all four limbs brutally chopped off.

Also as an aside about Outer Worlds: I was starting to get framerate hits, so I notched the quality down and I realize that there were so many filters and poo poo going on that I absolutely felt like I couldn't see the game. Outer Worlds at max quality is weird to me, it doesn't look right. Like, I have trouble identifying what I'm seeing, like I'm suddenly suffering from aphantasia or something.

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Apr 9, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The thought that enough people are so thin-skinned that being "insulted" by a video game would make them refuse to play it is a bit of a bummer tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

2house2fly posted:

The thought that enough people are so thin-skinned that being "insulted" by a video game would make them refuse to play it is a bit of a bummer tbh

If it's good humoured sure but why would I want to spend money on something that doesn't respect me and has contempt for me? I already have an ex wife