Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I do wonder if Plex is collecting data on this. I mean I know everyone is since this is 2022 but there has to be something in it for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Every streaming service keeps their viewership metrics secret except for the tidbits they use in press releases, so yeah there's probably a market for that data.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

reformedpoosmearer posted:

are you playing them locally? if not the updated server might not be direct streaming for whatever reason and trying to transcode it on the fly.

I switched to Jellyfin and I'm a pretty big fan. its similar but open source, and pretty sure theres a roku app. Its nice not having a menu full of garbage I'll never pay for or use, and not dealing with account issues.

Yeah, I was playing them locally and it was transcoding it through a wired connection but one .mp4 file was crashing the server. I tried to direct play it and it couldn't for some reason.

I will keep Jellyfin in mind if things get bad with Plex again.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

EL BROMANCE posted:

Go to Settings and in the top menu there's a Streaming Services option where you can add/remove what you have.

Hmm, strange.
For some reason I got the service to work on my localhost address, but now when I go to settings on localhost, there's no 'Streaming Services,' but on the app.plex.tv location, it's there. Something that could do with a bit of streamlining, I think.

The 'Top Titles on other services' thing lists episodes and seasons that aren't out yet (s2 of The Flight Attendant), which is also strange.
And it lists specials as a separate season, leading it to display WeCrashed as having two seasons when in reality it's first season isn't even finished yet.

I guess a bit more work may be needed, but it's a step in the right direction.

Didn't Plex use to have this a very long time ago, but only for Netflix? Not that there weren't many other streaming services by then. I think they had it, and then Netflix pulled their API or something?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

I wish there was a way to add watch lists from other streaming services to Plex, and just have it launch the App. I really love the Plex interface and having it be my go to for all my media consumption. But I do split the costs for services like Netflix and Disney. Wish there was a way to get those shows I watch to show up and remind me when new episodes come out all in one place.

Ha, I made this poist back in december

The discover features on Plex is amazing... I keep forgetting about shows on Amazon, Disney, and Netflix because it's simply not in my Plex library

Launches to the right episode on my phone and computer, but not yet on the App on my TCL TV. Oh well, I’ll give it some time

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 6, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

Google is, or rather has.

You got a source?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Android TV as you know it today will be replaced by Google TV over the next two years.

It's partially a question of semantics but Android TV is being replaced by Google TV (very slowly, that article's from 2020), it's still built on Android and using Android TV as a base for apps but it's being pitched as a separate thing and a replacement to Android TV. Because Google has to keep launching new things, even if it's functionally identical to a thing they already have instead of just continuing to support and develop the existing thing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

njsykora posted:

It's partially a question of semantics but Android TV is being replaced by Google TV (very slowly, that article's from 2020), it's still built on Android and using Android TV as a base for apps

So it's Facebook ==> Meta. A rename and rebranding.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The new Chromecast, which is more like a Fire stick than a Chromecast, is called "Chromecast with Google TV".

So, yeah, rebranding.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

:siren: For folks using Plex server on Windows and experiencing crashes: the fix has been pushed out to the beta channel. Switch your upgrades to beta and upgrade. The fix will also go live in the next public release whenever that is.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
On a Shield and the Discover feature is kinda buggy. I added Moon Knight to my watchlist and it says there's nowhere to watch episode 2, but I can open Disney+ and it's there. Also the 'Watchlist' section of my home screen is empty.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not Plex-specific but something I wanted to mention because the results behind it are pretty incredible.

On Black Friday I picked up the Topaz AI upscaling bundle, and finally started putting it through its paces for movies that only exist on DVD at best and have no HD release.

ymmv but this is what I got from the Korean 1999 film Attack The Gas Station. All DVDs have hosed colors except the Korean one which is letterboxed (so native res was 720x366 with 0.9 PAR). I upscaled it to 720p since going past quadrupling the resolution is seen as getting into more questionable territory. Anyway with this I got an output that doesn't seem to be distinguishable from a theoretical official 720p version with a medium bitrate on a streaming app, which given the source material it was working with is something I'm more than happy to accept.

I did this on an Apple M1 laptop which could do about 3 frames per second.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

nexus6 posted:

On a Shield and the Discover feature is kinda buggy. I added Moon Knight to my watchlist and it says there's nowhere to watch episode 2, but I can open Disney+ and it's there. Also the 'Watchlist' section of my home screen is empty.

Episode 2 came out today so it should be there now. I did notice that on shows like Slow Horses, I can see all the episodes but Apple hasn't dropped them yet. So I figure its pulling this info from TVDB.

While this feature is handy, I've noticed that it adds more clicks which might frustrate some users.

Violator
May 15, 2003

univbee posted:

Not Plex-specific but something I wanted to mention because the results behind it are pretty incredible.

On Black Friday I picked up the Topaz AI upscaling bundle, and finally started putting it through its paces for movies that only exist on DVD at best and have no HD release.

ymmv but this is what I got from the Korean 1999 film Attack The Gas Station. All DVDs have hosed colors except the Korean one which is letterboxed (so native res was 720x366 with 0.9 PAR). I upscaled it to 720p since going past quadrupling the resolution is seen as getting into more questionable territory. Anyway with this I got an output that doesn't seem to be distinguishable from a theoretical official 720p version with a medium bitrate on a streaming app, which given the source material it was working with is something I'm more than happy to accept.

I did this on an Apple M1 laptop which could do about 3 frames per second.

Can confirm, I’ve used that software on some projects and been impressed. I hadn’t thought about using it on stuff like this, but I might give it a shot to see what it does. Obviously garbage in garbage out, but it’s worth playing around with.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This new Discover feature is awesome....

Step 1) Add every streaming service to it, even if you aren't subscribed
Step 2) Setup an Import List in Sonarr for your Plex Watch List and have it set to automatically search for episodes when you a show gets added to your Watch list
Step 3) Add items to your Watch list within the "Discover" section
Step 4) Let Sonarr/Sabznbd/Plex do its thing behind the scenes

I'm not sure if you can do this with Radarr yet, but this is great.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gay Retard posted:

Step 2) Setup an Import List in Sonarr for your Plex Watch List and have it set to automatically search for episodes when you an item gets added to the Watch list

Does it split out movies/tv to separate lists? Or is it just TV only?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Does it split out movies/tv to separate lists? Or is it just TV only?

As far as I can tell, Sonarr will just ignore movies. I don't think Radarr has Plex import list functionality yet?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Gay Retard posted:

Step 2) Setup an Import List in Sonarr for your Plex Watch List and have it set to automatically search for episodes when you a show gets added to your Watch list

I'm not sure if you can do this with Radarr yet, but this is great.

I was wondering how long this workflow would take. Thanks for the tip

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

As far as I can tell, Sonarr will just ignore movies. I don't think Radarr has Plex import list functionality yet?

I don't see a Plex list section in radarr yet. I use stable build though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Radarr support coming soonish: https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/pull/5707

The users over at the Plex forum who hate this feature and threatening to jump ship to Jellyfin are so funny....

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Radarr support coming soonish: https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/pull/5707

The users over at the Plex forum who hate this feature and threatening to jump ship to Jellyfin are so funny....

Plex forums are an absolute cancer, I had to stop frequenting them. Just no value at all, just people whining.

Good news about radarr, this is gonna be pretty slick.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Thanks for the info on Radarr. This is going to make my life a lot easier with my wife wanting to add shows.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Really not seeing what this Discover thing does that AppleTV and AndroidTV don't already kinda do, with the added functionality of being able to actually play the loving show.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Really not seeing what this Discover thing does that AppleTV and AndroidTV don't already kinda do, with the added functionality of being able to actually play the loving show.

I replaced the Google TV launcher because I was tired of 2/3 of the screen being ads for services I don't subscribe to. So for me, this is, like, getting back the functionality I wanted, without the annoying ads.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

cruft posted:

I replaced the Google TV launcher because I was tired of 2/3 of the screen being ads for services I don't subscribe to. So for me, this is, like, getting back the functionality I wanted, without the annoying ads.

IS it getting meaningful functionality back, though?

E: I see that on platforms other than the one I tried it on last night (Roku) it'll open the app the thing is on to the page for that movie or show. So that's good, that makes this a lot less useless than I thought.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 7, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

IS it getting meaningful functionality back, though?

E: I see that on platforms other than the one I tried it on last night (Roku) it'll open the app the thing is on to the page for that movie or show. So that's good, that makes this a lot less useless than I thought.

Yeah, literally the day this dropped, google let me know that a movie I'd put on my watchlist years ago was available for me to watch free on Prime. Then I went into plex and told it I wanted to see that movie and a couple more, and found out that four or five of them were actually now on Prime.

So, yeah, that's functionality I missed a little and was gladd to get back.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

As far as I can tell, Google/Apple/Roku devices don't include Plex media when you use universal search within the OS. As a workaround, now you can just add your streaming services to Plex, which will unify everything under one UI, including streaming service's content and your local content.

As somebody who couldn't possibly download everything I'd like to watch on Plex, I think this is great - especially since I can compare the quality within my Plex library vs whether or not its offered in 4K on another service I'm already subscribed to. If you're somebody who only uses Plex and has no interest in discovering any new content, you can just ignore the the new sidebar entirely.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm planning on using that Sonarr integration and Radarr if they ever get one. My wife likes browsing for stuff and sonarr and radarr's browsing is really basic in comparison.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah that's catching my interest too. I tried pitching trakt lists to my Plex sharees and their eyes glazed right over. I might have a better chance with something that's in the app they already use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

acksplode posted:

Yeah that's catching my interest too. I tried pitching trakt lists to my Plex sharees and their eyes glazed right over. I might have a better chance with something that's in the app they already use.

Probably, but I've had Ombi set up for years and it's just worked, even with barely computer literate people. Worst I've had to do was make a bookmark/shortcut on their phone screen.

I'm not willing to beta test this new feature, but I'm interested in it. My guess is there may not be the level of control (x move requests/show requests per day/week/whatever) as Ombi if it's even available to non-server users (i.e. people you share libraries with). But if this works out I'm sure it will get there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Heads up for anyone setting up the Sonarr integration, if your watchlist is empty it won't import it. Frustrating but easily fixable.

I have Overseearr set up for requests from friends on my server but this is absolutely huge for my wife to just be able to add stuff from the AppleTV. Well done Plex.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Matt Zerella posted:

Heads up for anyone setting up the Sonarr integration, if your watchlist is empty it won't import it. Frustrating but easily fixable.

I have Overseearr set up for requests from friends on my server but this is absolutely huge for my wife to just be able to add stuff from the AppleTV. Well done Plex.

Hah! Thanks for this tip, I tried using the list import on Sonarr but it failed and I was questioning my container setup, but adding something to my watchlist and it's all good. Very cool!

I have methods to add to sonarr from plex and my personal discord now using requestrrbot and jackett, very cool.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

At some point Plex on my shield started loving up rewind. If I press rewind it ends up jumping a random amount of time, mostly forward but sometimes backwards if I wrangle it enough. wtf?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheScott2K posted:

I don't quite understand how Apple TV works.

The Up Next category is pulling in the most random stuff from services that I don't even subscribe to anymore. And there are things that I think have been removed from streaming services that it just says "continue" and then pulls up where to rent it from Apple. And I'm getting poo poo my kid watches on there. I have no idea how to filter it, and random stuff I clicked on Pluto TV one time a year or so ago. I don't even think I can do profiles. It's just bad design

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
One slight bummer about the Sonarr Watchlist sync is that it only happens every 12 hours iirc. So you have to set up a cron job to do it automatically through the API if you want stuff to download relatively soon after adding it.

see: https://www.reddit.com/r/sonarr/comments/jpn5hp/v3_is_it_possible_to_change_the_interval_for/

e: it would be cool also if Plex included "added new item to Watchlist" to its Webhook triggers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That might be tipping their hand towards the *arr community too much and piss off their media partners imo. The know drat well how most people use the platform and while they can’t stop people from hooking into it the can take steps to not acknowledge it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I don't quite understand how Apple TV works.

The Up Next category is pulling in the most random stuff from services that I don't even subscribe to anymore. And there are things that I think have been removed from streaming services that it just says "continue" and then pulls up where to rent it from Apple. And I'm getting poo poo my kid watches on there. I have no idea how to filter it, and random stuff I clicked on Pluto TV one time a year or so ago. I don't even think I can do profiles. It's just bad design

It's not bad design for Apple, they want you to purchase things and re-subscribe to services. I don't really use the Apple TV app at all, I just use the apps which are mostly Plex, Netflix, Disney Plus. Netflix refuses to tie its service into Apple TV app, so you have to use the app anyways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

It's not bad design for Apple, they want you to purchase things and re-subscribe to services.

Yeah, it's not a user/convenience feature. It's blatant marketing.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, it's not a user/convenience feature. It's blatant marketing.

At least its confined to the ATV app. I remapped my home button immediately when I got the appletv. I recently booted up my nvidia shield again, and holy poo poo that thing is infested with ads. And glacially slow compared to the ATV. It is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yup, I also remapped the TV button to go home and never use the Apple TV app on my ATV.