Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

PancakeTransmission posted:

And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

There can't be a cat in the cradle, everyone's spouse is loving allergic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TaurusTorus posted:

There can't be a cat in the cradle, everyone's spouse is loving allergic.

They can :dealwithit:, my court maintains a strict policy of felines before concubines :colbert:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I realize they're a little cheesy but I miss the wilder CK2 title rank crest designs, especially the spread eagle HRE badge and the Norse emperor-level one with the dragon longboat heads coming out of the sides.

Edit: are siege weapon men at arms worth it? I definitely want sieges to go faster, but I kind of feel like I shouldn't be using my MaA to mind sieges anyway unless the enemy army's just gone. I guess I could separate them out after raising everyone and leave them with some levies?

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 6, 2022

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Randallteal posted:

I realize they're a little cheesy but I miss the wilder CK2 title rank crest designs, especially the spread eagle HRE badge and the Norse emperor-level one with the dragon longboat heads coming out of the sides.

Edit: are siege weapon men at arms worth it? I definitely want sieges to go faster, but I kind of feel like I shouldn't be using my MaA to mind sieges anyway unless the enemy army's just gone. I guess I could separate them out after raising everyone and leave them with some levies?

Siege weapons are definitely worth it, especially since later on you can't really even effectively siege without them. And yes, leaving them sieging provinces with some levies is how I personally use them.

One nice thing about Holy Orders is they come with a single big stack of levies, and if you use the "leave sieging units behind" button it almost always creates a stack of just siege units + that one big clump of levies, separating them nicely, and putting a commander with the siege specialization in charge of the stack if possible.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Randallteal posted:

100% absolutely worth it. It is a little bit tedious to have go to Raise Men At Arms > separate siege MAA > raise a separate small chunk of levies > combine the siege MAA with the levies and ensure they have a siege bonus commander > go forth and conquer. But it's definitely worth it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
So I apparently created the Kingdom of Ireland in my current save (despite Alba holding the northern third of the island) on my third-generation ruler.

He’s got 40 years to make all of the mistakes he can and cause the succession on his death to be a glorious train wreck (especially since I opted for the Tanistry Elective because if I’m going to fail in my first game I’m doing it as spectacularly as possible).

Does the feeling you’re doing…well, everything…by the seat of your pants eventually go away after getting a bunch of experience with playing this game?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

How are u posted:

100% absolutely worth it. It is a little bit tedious to have go to Raise Men At Arms > separate siege MAA > raise a separate small chunk of levies > combine the siege MAA with the levies and ensure they have a siege bonus commander > go forth and conquer. But it's definitely worth it.

Just be a lazy rear end like me and have an even number of combat MaA and siege MaA. Then you just raise your MaA, hit the split button, and have two siege stacks. No need to deal with levies and how much supply they take up.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ShadowedFlames posted:

Does the feeling you’re doing…well, everything…by the seat of your pants eventually go away after getting a bunch of experience with playing this game?
It depends on what you're trying to do, but if you powergame and pay attention, it's easy to get into situations where you just basically paint the map and have no issues, especially as you get to late game.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Honestly, I wish there was a way to switch character in Ironman - once I hit Empire stage, unless I'm going for an achievement, Id love to switch down to Count level and play on the edges of the Empire

Of course, the AI plays so badly that if the human takes their hand off the wheel, that Empire is sure to fragment - unless its the bloody Byzantines WHY WONT YOU FRAGMENT?!?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's funny, in like every one of my games the Byzantine empire immediately gets devoured by all its neighbors. I guess it's not technically fragmenting, just rapidly shrinking.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So far I've found the sweet spot in this game for fun is being a duchy under a king or a king under an emperor. So many opportunities to gently caress with other vassals.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I finally unlocked the Mother of Us All achievement in 1279 AD. The tradition By The Sword just blows the lid right off this achievement, makes it an absolute doddle. Really, once you have that tradition, its just a matter of how quickly can you do it and convert every province.

I ran with Archers for my MaA, and grabbed traditions that boosted their damage or toughness. The last century or more was pretty much a cakewalk when it came to war

I did notice over the last 50 years or so that courts completely unrelated to me were starting to convert their court language. I checked it out, and I think I may try and push for Lingua Franca as well. Two wars for France, three for Byzantium - might be enough to get the rest to convert. If not, hit India.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Serephina posted:

That's funny, in like every one of my games the Byzantine empire immediately gets devoured by all its neighbors. I guess it's not technically fragmenting, just rapidly shrinking.

In my current game the Byzantines inherited Germany so I was starting to get nervous but thankfully they've imploded quite nicely:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

In my games they are the most stable big blog in the world until I start messing with them. Actually, more like the only stable big blog, all the others will always explode after some generations, even the Abbasid

Only one time I saw them break by themselves, and probably only because the emperor for some reason became catholic

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

So far I've found the sweet spot in this game for fun is being a duchy under a king or a king under an emperor. So many opportunities to gently caress with other vassals.

I speak positively of most of CK3's features, but this is one area where I have a massive issue because the problem still exists where at least some of the county-based uprisings/rebellions in your lands are aimed at the top-level ruler, who may choose to surrender without a fight, giving up some of your lands without you, the player, being able to do anything about it. Because of this I'm always wary of playing as a vassal for any extended period.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my games they are the most stable big blog in the world until I start messing with them. Actually, more like the only stable big blog, all the others will always explode after some generations, even the Abbasid

Only one time I saw them break by themselves, and probably only because the emperor for some reason became catholic

Pala is usually pretty stable as well, and usually expands to form the Bengal Empire in my games.

Ghana is usually pretty solid as well, and will often expand enough to form the empire of Mali. If they end up reforming religion or converting to a reformed one, then they'll completely take over all of sub-Saharan Africa.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

I speak positively of most of CK3's features, but this is one area where I have a massive issue because the problem still exists where at least some of the county-based uprisings/rebellions in your lands are aimed at the top-level ruler, who may choose to surrender without a fight, giving up some of your lands without you, the player, being able to do anything about it. Because of this I'm always wary of playing as a vassal for any extended period.

I hate this so much. Vassal level gameplay could be really fun but this just straight up kills the experience for me. I was really hoping 1.5 and the culture rework would fix it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I never understood that war mechanic. If I declare war to seize a county, why is it always against the top liege, and not against the liege and county holder at the same time? Wouldn't a count also raise his own personal army to defend his territory? Seemed to always be kind of goofed up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My favorite Vassal WTF-moment was having my co-vassal and very firm ally wardec our liege, then attack absolutely nobody but me for years on end. My ally, who didn't want to hit anyone but me. Took almost 3 years to sort out that hellwar, and I know how long it was since I was getting mercenary-expiration warnings at the end of it. He won, only because the leige never lifted a finger and so the warscore ticked to some absurd number.

After it ended he immediately died to some bad wine, funny that. That fucker.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I never understood that war mechanic. If I declare war to seize a county, why is it always against the top liege, and not against the liege and county holder at the same time? Wouldn't a count also raise his own personal army to defend his territory? Seemed to always be kind of goofed up.

I mean that's kind of part of feudalism. Person A submits to person B's authority and in exchange Person B is, in theory, supposed to defend person A.

If you want to attack the person trying to take your territory you can do that, people at war with your liege are co-hostile to you.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Hellioning posted:

I mean that's kind of part of feudalism. Person A submits to person B's authority and in exchange Person B is, in theory, supposed to defend person A.

If you want to attack the person trying to take your territory you can do that, people at war with your liege are co-hostile to you.
The issue is that your liege can submit before the war, without you getting a choice. Real annoying when you totally should have taken them. But yeah one of the main reasons I avoid being a vassal even though I like the idea of having fellow vassals and a liege's court etc

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I do that when Im the vassal being targeted

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

The issue is that your liege can submit before the war, without you getting a choice. Real annoying when you totally should have taken them. But yeah one of the main reasons I avoid being a vassal even though I like the idea of having fellow vassals and a liege's court etc

I mean I was talking about outside invasion, not rebels.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hellioning posted:

You can do that but the computer almost never does. It’s so weird to conquer a duchy that could field twice your army but their king is weak so they just kinda stay home. If this was due to them preferring my rule or something it would be cool but it isn’t.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

I do that when Im the vassal being targeted

Yea, but like others have said, the AI rarely, if ever, does this.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Today I learned not to call a great holy war when my religion is followed by 1300 counties and commands 600k troops. It’s been 15-20 real life minutes and my armies still aren’t raised lol. Hope my computer doesn’t melt.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How do you call a great holy war, again? I finally got the notification that Bori can declare great holy wars, in my slow Mother of Us All game, but I can't figure out how to kick one off. :saddowns:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

How are u posted:

How do you call a great holy war, again? I finally got the notification that Bori can declare great holy wars, in my slow Mother of Us All game, but I can't figure out how to kick one off. :saddowns:

When you go to declare war on someone of a different faith, there should be a “Great Holy War for Kingdom” CB listed.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Or if there’s a spiritual head of faith you just get fervor up and wait for your not pope to kick it off.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

When you go to declare war on someone of a different faith, there should be a “Great Holy War for Kingdom” CB listed.

That's weird, I don't see that option. It'd be fun to declare one to finally take Egypt, but I just see the regular holy war CBs + everything else.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You need to be part of a faith that has a tenet that allows Great Holy Wars, and have a head of faith. By default, Bori doesn't have a tenet that allows them to do so.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Yea, but like others have said, the AI rarely, if ever, does this.

I'm broadly happy with the game, but Paradox always seems to leave these weird little mechanical gaps that mods are perfect to fill (I can no longer abide without More Interactive Vassals or Vassals to Arms, though I also can't recall if there was another mod for that populist rebellions thing that Magli was talking about) and always take way too long to fill them themselves.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 8, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh hey, more mods to look out for, thank you.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Any mods that add more stuff to spend money on? I'm swimming in cash after a series of money-oriented rulers and have all but filled up my domain's building+holding slots to the limit allowed by my tech.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m on my second go around trying to conquer Ireland and somehow the king of England inherited two counties from someone in my bloodline married to someone from Leon. there really should be more warnings for this stuff

how do you get enough prestige to reform or diverge your culture? all the good options are 5 or 7k and even with a 30 year rule as king of Ireland I barely got to 2000

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Any mods that add more stuff to spend money on? I'm swimming in cash after a series of money-oriented rulers and have all but filled up my domain's building+holding slots to the limit allowed by my tech.

There are two variations of mod that allow you to add more building slots to holdings. Pick your poison:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2760960044

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2370708338

Cities of Wonders adds a special metropolis holding type to the game. They're quite the money-sink:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2512278056

Those are the main ones I can think of off the top of my head.

edit: small grammatical error

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

indigi posted:

I’m on my second go around trying to conquer Ireland and somehow the king of England inherited two counties from someone in my bloodline married to someone from Leon. there really should be more warnings for this stuff

how do you get enough prestige to reform or diverge your culture? all the good options are 5 or 7k and even with a 30 year rule as king of Ireland I barely got to 2000

Were those counties part of your realm, or just counties you had yet to conquer? There is a warning if you're going to lose part of your realm if a vassal dies or inherits another title. It can be annoying, but it goes both ways. I've picked up random counties or more through weird vassal marriages.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
part of my realm. nothing showed up in the regular message jawn up top, maybe I just didn’t know where to look for the notification

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the little dropdown notifier thing in the top middle of the screen should have had a warning that your realm would lose land on somebody's succession. Though it's possible to miss that if you're not looking at it.

indigi posted:

Fighting battles with people you did not declare war on (Raiding, fighting in your allies wars, participating in Great Holy wars, fighting random people also at war with someone you did declare war on), or just by holding lots of titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, once you fill up your artifact inventory and are sitting at emperor level you'd get a huge chunk of prestige passively over a ruler's life, nevermind actually pushing to accumulate more. The 20k tag for bellicose/etc is reachable. Prior to that however, the 7k tags are so expensive since your current situation doesn't encourage said tradition; e.g. if you want a good MAA thing it might have a soft discount if you have a pile of said MAA, if you want better prisonor releases you need a pile of good prisoners to get that discount, etc. Lotta stuff can go down to 2k easily if you spend half a generation working towards it before diverging.

edit: but yea as others said, warfare (and that crazy Norse double-prestige dynasty legacy) is very profitable.