Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

How does it compare to a 4p game of VTES, would you say?
a lot more action. your dudes are in the streets doin' stuff, and there's constant pressure from racking up VP every turn. Sneak n Bleed style play basically does not exist

The Prince title (there's only one) basically functions as The Edge, breaking stalemates and forcing desperation hail-marys.
definitely the game goes a lot harder on your agenda dictating your deck - you still win if you knock out your rival, but you can also just get to 13 VP and win that way. the multiple paths to winning make you have to worry about everyone while focusing on your rival

pbpancho posted:

Hope you can make it to one of the Prince of the City tournaments this year for it!

work might be sending me out of the country in April but if not I am 100% going to take the Prince of Durham title for my Roses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I fell in love with Marvel Champions during the pandemic, and decided that for 2022 I would start a new project just to see if I could. I just uploaded my first recorded MC game today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AALxNPSJRdA

New stuff is going to go up every Monday, and the first 4 are archetypal hero/villain pairings. I'm thinking the next ones will be 4 heroes I have yet to play with completely untested decks. Any feedback is appreciated.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

For Arkham Horror, what's the difference with the new campaign expansion and investigator expansions, for the Dunwich cycle?

As a new player should I get both?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

For Arkham Horror, what's the difference with the new campaign expansion and investigator expansions, for the Dunwich cycle?

The campaign expansion doesn't have any cards that go into the players' decks, and the investigator expansion only has cards that go into the players' decks. This is the model that started with Edge of the Earth and they're using for everything going forward.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hey I’m a new player too! Hope you like the game too.

So there’s the old Dunwich cycle where you had to buy like 7 products to get all the cards and scenarios. The new expansions collects those together in two boxes, so people who already had Dunwich aren’t getting anything new. But for me and you, it’s a bit easier and cheaper to get.

The investigator expansion is all the player cards, so imo this is worth buying (I’m actually supposed to get mine in the mail today) for deck building purposes.

The campaign expansion is the 8 scenarios that make up the Dunwich campaign. Which honestly, I’m not sure if I’ll get this immediately or not, I’ve heard mixed things about it and I got Edge of the Earth waiting to be opened up.

P.S. there’s an Arkham Horror LCG thread in this very subforum.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shrecknet posted:

The Prince title (there's only one) basically functions as The Edge, breaking stalemates and forcing desperation hail-marys. definitely the game goes a lot harder on your agenda dictating your deck - you still win if you knock out your rival, but you can also just get to 13 VP and win that way. the multiple paths to winning make you have to worry about everyone while focusing on your rival

I picked up the game on your recommend and the VP system makes me think even 2 and 3 player games (traditionally not as exciting in TES) in Rivals could be fun reading the rules.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

3p is very fun, the game still.si gs at 4p.
2p is it's own beast (heh) because it's so combative. every vampire you torp earns VP bc it's always your rival's vamps. claiming Prince is super easy bc you only get hit once, not 3 times.

there are definitely different decks you want to have for multi-player vs heads up

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The majority of the hero cards for Sinister Motives got spoiled and are up on Hall of Heroes. I really like Ghost Spider, Miles Morales seems a bit to situational (to get max damage for one of his cards the opponent would need to be stunned and confused. Incredibly tough to pull off solo, hard to do double, realistic with 3 or more) but still looks pretty good.

There’s a lot of really good basic looking cards that can be used to deal damage. I’m incredibly excited. My FLGS still have the release listed as the 25th, so hopefully it shows up at that time!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Miles can hit Anachrobatics if he plays upgrades ahead of time and activates them simultaneously.

It’s really fascinating to combine double life with Ganke, and he always has a solution to a problem. I’ve seen him played very differently by different people with basically the same deck.

The Spider-Man basic plus across the spider verse gives you the feeling of having a mentor in the game, someone who can make you do a lot better by being there.

There’s a new shield card that lets you do too damage The first time around you put a shield card into play. it makes custom Maria Hill even crazier to play… because she can ready it manually.

And there’s another shield agent who can activate it and ready it once a turn as well. Miles and Gwen feel like you’re flipping around the battlefield, Maria feels like you’re commanding an entire army battalion.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
2 player Rivals is still very fun but like someone already said it does feel pretty different from multi-player!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

2p rivals is the Jets and the Sharks showing up to sort things out with chains and switchblades in the street.

4p rivals is Oceans 11 but there's 4 gangs trying to rob the same vault

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My local game store confirmed they have Sinister Motives in stock and will be able to sell it Monday, but from what I’ve seen online US stores are being told it’s not available till April, so if you really want to play it ASAP you might want to look at ordering from a Canadian retailer.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm hoping this UK delay is just a myth and they start sending it out April 5th as the apparent new street date is. I ordered through the U.K because they were so ahead on the Thanos box but if they're delayed into May that just sucks.

Which Canadian stores will ship worldwide?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
gently caress FFG. I literally called my FLGS Wednesday. All good for pickup. They have it. Now? They pushed it back to April 8th. Nope. Not allowed to buy it even though tons of retailers broke the date already.

This is clownshoes poo poo.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Street date on a co-op product is pretty weird and it's not like this is going to stop scalpers from upselling early copies. Probably meant to protect stores that have people cancelling in order to get it faster from a store that got it early but that's not really the fault of the store. FFG distribution is just hot garbage because I've never heard of this happening with Wizards or any other company. It's hard to believe that a company like Asmodee would try to skip having warehouses or something to keep this stuff in so that they can roll out product at the same time worldwide.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, it really makes no sense. Cause the retailers that don’t care mean that the product is already out there (I’ve seen plenty of pics from people who have it) and if you’re trying to stop spoilers the whole thing was spoiled already. I get that a date can move, but moving the date when it’s literally 2 days from your original release is just stupid.

I e-mailed FFG for all the good it will do. I told them I don’t feel like playing musical release dates where I have to check with my local store even on the day the game launches to see if I have to head out or not and I can easily just invest in a hobby that doesn’t pull this crap. I buy anime and while anime is street dated, it’s basically a soft date because I’ve seen shows/movies sold a good month before their official date because if you have the product, why not sell it? The company also get the money so what do they care?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Well. With the small delay I decided I’d change up some of my decks and took apart my Justice Wasp and Justice Black Widow deck. Justice Wasp is really good at thwarting but was always too much of a glass cannon for me. I always seemed to take too many hits. Black Widow was excellent, but her control Game was a bit of a snooze. I decided I wanted to go back to core heroes and so I built 2 Justice decks with them. Black Panther and She-Hulk. My Black Panther one does pretty decent. I run a bunch of Guardian allies in it and when another scheme (or schemes) come out I use the Alliance event (forget the name off the top of my head) that lets you thwart all the schemes at once. Did really well! Thanks to all the Vibraniums helping pay for stuff it lets me put some high cost stuff in the deck and because he can get rid of some big thwart it’s not a hassle to flip and use golden city for big card gains. Really neat. My She-Hulk deck though? I did not expect it to work nearly as well as it did. I beat the snot out of Klaw true solo which surprised the heck out of me. Her whole thing is that I run some of the rifles that let you confuse an enemy, and 3 counter-intelligence. So my whole thing is making sure when I flip that threat never really becomes an issue. So I flip like crazy which helps with damage as when I flip to hero that does 2 damage and then her punching can kill most minions. Then I use whatever card draw I have to deal with thwart if need be or continue to build my engine. Once the engine is complete she card draws like crazy and I can overwhelm enemies with brute force. I played Taskmaster and thanks to 2 1-2 punches in my hand She-Hulk punched for 9 in one turn.

I’ve always had an issue with her kit (I still think Legal Practice isn’t great, Superhuman Law Division kicks rear end though) and Ground Stomp is hilariously lovely, but the rest of her kit is really good for the build I have.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah someone revised her kit and made her I object be one threat per player, which is good.

Aggression ghost spider is amazing. Skilled strike being a zero cost, two bonus damage ready is wild. If I were to revise the deck, I would add in the aggression pistol because she doesn’t really have a way to deal with minions.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I started playing this last year and collected everything but didn't put much time into it because various other games stole my attention, but now that I've acquired the latest long-delayed packs I decided to get back into it on the weekend by taking on the Red Skull campaign on Expert, playing two-handed solo with Captain America (Leadership) and Black Widow (Justice).

I started out with CA going Protection but I couldn't make it work. It seemed like even with Flow Like Water I couldn't deal much more than chip damage most of the time, so I switched over to Leadership and experimented with a few different Ally builds but kept hitting a brick wall on the first boss (Crossbones) before the list below suddenly worked.

It was a lot of fun re-learning how to deckbuild in this game, and while it's a less complex exercise than in Arkham Horror there's still more than enough depth for your decisions to feel meaningful after you experience their results in-game. I also like how you generally have to construct a workable deck with only 22 cards, since the other slots will be taken up by your precon cards and the three basic double resource cards. It felt a bit restrictive at first but then I began to appreciate the limitation because it requires you to engineer something efficient using a small part of your aspect's card pool, and it feels like your hero choice affects the card value enough that you won't just grab the same core set of cards every time.

The one thing that feels a bit samey in this game is its general flow, where your first few rounds will be spent focusing on building up your resources instead of really interacting with the villain so that in your later rounds you can actually start playing all those sweet cards you pitched earlier. But getting out of those resource-starved early turns still involves making good decisions so it's not like every opening is the same.

Regarding the decks, the idea is that BW's Justice deck controls all the threat while CA's Leadership deck deals all the damage, and my first BW deck worked pretty well but it didn't really do its job effectively until I removed the Pivotal Moments and focused exclusively on managing threat. At one point I had the idea to do something with side schemes, with One Way or Another enabling Followed/Chance Encounter/Skilled Investigator/Jessica Jones and such. But if that deck is a viable archetype then I don't think Black Widow is its best home.

And with my Leadership deck I initially experimented with Sneak Attack and Go Down Swinging with expensive allies like Captain Marvel. The problem with that, though, is that the individual pieces were not good by themselves, and even when I had the resources to do a combo it was inconsistent damage. What I really needed in order to burn through all the boss HP was sustained damage, so I re-evaluated my ally package and went with Mass Attack and Teamwork to get more mileage out of allies like Giant-Man, Goliath, and Wonder Man. And I figured Command Team would be good for getting more uses out of them as well (with Team Training allowing for an extra use) but in the few games I've played I haven't actually had them on the table together.

Last thing I will say before I make a list of general observations is that one of the most interesting parts of deckbuilding in this game is whether to include one, two, or three copies of a card. I find three copies is too many in most cases unless it's something cheap or critical to the deck, and due to the way you burn through cards each turn the one-ofs come up very consistently. It's something that differentiates the game from a lot of others I've played, and in some ways it reminds me a bit of the Pokemon TCG where tutoring and big card draws are very common (I can't imagine playing that game with real cards, you'd spend half your time just shuffling your deck!)

So anyway, here's a bunch of comments and stuff I learned from my recent time with the game. I have some more changes in mind but the current lists are the ones that got me through the Crossbones scenario:

• Captain America has a discard ability so that makes card drawing abilities even more valuable. I chose good ones like White Tiger (who gets more value on Expert - by the way, is there a card that lets you return allies to your hand?) and Strength in Numbers. Maria Hill is also too good to pass up with two players in the game and it's not hard to chump block with her so she doesn't negate the Mighty Avengers bonus (and I only use Agent 13 for its resource value). Kaluu's event tutor is also kind of like drawing a card, and he's great anyway because he can find your precon events.

• I was really skeptical that Hawkeye would be worthwhile but in practice he's super good at controlling minions. I knew Black Panther would be good, and recurring Mass Attack was his main use.

• I kind of wanted to include an Avengers Assemble! for its ready ability and because it affects a few Black Widow characters, but I'm also thinking about including a second Mass Attack because I found it to be so strong.

• Band Together was a lot more useful than I expected so I'd like to add another copy.

• Black Widow can do a lot of work in Alter-Ego form and wants to be there more often than her hero form. The thing that made me realize that is when I noticed Covert Ops wasn't a hero action! Seems pretty unique, though I've only played a handful of different heroes so far.

• With that in mind, I retooled the deck to do more things in AE form, so I included 3 x Foiled! to shave off some threat gen, Quake to manage minions, and Spycraft to avoid nasty encounter cards (too bad you can't use Grappling Hook in AE form.) I also put 2 x Vigilante Training in, the idea being that in the late game when my deck is getting low they'll be good for cycling the three one-of Thwart events I was using.

• I chose one each of those events because it was useful to be able to have different amounts of Thwart on hand; BW's bread and butter is the Counterintelligence/Safe House #29/Gauntlet recursion loop, and those events along with her basic Thwart let me sit pretty comfortably on the second stage for most of the game even while letting the villain scheme a lot.

• And speaking of which, Crossbones can get really scary with a heap of weapon attachments but he's not much of a schemer, so both heroes spent more time in AE form than hero form, though CA did swap on most turns once the ally pain train was ready to leave the station.

• Last minor comment on the BW deck is that Wiccan didn't perform as well as I thought he would. I thought there were more 2-3 boost icon cards in the deck than in the core set scenarios (and the Expert set very slightly increases the odds, too) but I didn't actually compare them.

After beating Crossbones I one-shot Absorbing Man with the same decks (the upgrade that lets you draw five cards is pretty busted compared to the others) and next up is Taskmaster.

I think Sinister Motives is still a month away here :australia: which is fine because it gives me time to play through the rest of the campaigns and prepare for it. Really looking forward to it, too, as Into the Spiderverse was a fantastic movie.

Captain America - Leadership

Upgrades
1x Captain America's Helmet (Captain America)
1x Captain America's Shield (Captain America)
2x Super-Soldier Serum (Captain America)

Events
1x Mass Attack (The Mad Titan's Shadow)
1x Make the Call (Core Set)
2x Fearless Determination (Captain America)
3x Heroic Strike (Captain America)
2x Shield Block (Captain America)
2x Shield Toss (Captain America)
2x Strength In Numbers (Captain America)
2x Teamwork (Thor)

Supports
1x Mighty Avengers (The Mad Titan's Shadow)
2x Command Team (War Machine)
1x Steve's Apartment (Captain America)
1x Avengers Tower (Captain America)
1x Team Training (The Rise of Red Skull)

Resources
1x Band Together (The Mad Titan's Shadow)
1x Energy (Core Set)
1x Genius (Core Set)
1x Strength (Core Set)

Allies
1x Giant-Man (Ant-man)
1x Stinger (Ant-man)
1x Power Man (The Mad Titan's Shadow)
1x White Tiger (The Mad Titan's Shadow)
1x Kaluu (The Mad Titan's Shadow)
1x Black Panther (War Machine)
1x Hawkeye (Core Set)
1x Maria Hill (Core Set)
1x Agent 13 (Captain America)
1x Wonder Man (Captain America)
1x Goliath (The Rise of Red Skull)

Black Widow - Justice

Upgrades
1x Sense of Justice (Quicksilver)
1x Heroic Intuition (Core Set)
1x Under Surveillance (Thor)
2x Attacrobatics (Black Widow)
2x Black Widow's Gauntlet (Black Widow)
2x Grappling Hook (Black Widow)
1x Synth-Suit (Black Widow)
2x Widow's Bite (Black Widow)
2x Counterintelligence (Black Widow)
2x Spycraft (Black Widow)

Events
1x Crisis Averted (Scarlet Witch)
1x Making an Entrance (Venom)
1x For Justice! (Core Set)
2x Covert Ops (Black Widow)
2x Dance of Death (Black Widow)
3x Foiled! (Doctor Strange)

Supports
2x Vigilante Training (War Machine)
1x Avengers Mansion (Core Set)
1x Safe House #29 (Black Widow)
1x Quincarrier (Black Widow)

Resources
2x The Power of Justice (Core Set)
1x Energy (Core Set)
1x Genius (Core Set)
1x Strength (Core Set)

Allies
1x Wiccan (Scarlet Witch)
1x Winter Soldier (Black Widow)
1x Agent Coulson (Black Widow)
1x Quake (Black Widow)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Crossbones is pretty swingy solely because of the inclusion of the Madam Hydra modular set. If she comes out and you’re not quite ready for her you can be absolutely bodied. If you deal with her ASAP if she comes out and you make sure to prioritize getting rid of his weapons, he becomes a lot less dangerous.

Black Widow is definitely a bit more unique where she has the powerful thwart ability that can be done in Alter Ego. You don’t see if often. The only other hero who has cards that help thwart in alter ego is She-Hulk.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I finally got around to running through the Red Skull box as well. I did a pretty basic Captain America solo leadership deck and I had the most trouble with Crossbones. Every other villain was relatively easy, I didn't discard or use my upgrades until Red Skull. Definitely need to try on expert next. My favorite card was the Rapid Response upgrade - getting my allies right back after they died was huge.

Also for whatever reason playing MC two handed slows me down so much compared to playing LotR two handed, not sure why.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Unique means one-of-a-kind, not exceptional or rare.

Chance encounter is a lot of fun with black widow, because she can recur Winter soldier, who is often a one or 0 cost play.

Spycraft can be used for any encounter card, not just treacheries, which makes it amazing at noping attachments, surges and beefy minions.

ASSEMBLE! Is great for a captain America, because with it, he can get three activations in one phase. Between the serums and living legend, he can afford leadership like few others.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

pbpancho posted:

Hope you can make it to one of the Prince of the City tournaments this year for it!

I'm hoping to attend one as well. Can't decide if I want to go with a Tremere Rites deck or a Malkavian End is Nigh deck. Open to tips on that.

Very fun game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spider-Ham!

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1509911250142220294?s=20&t=5qGdE1tbu5zgZeaUd9wf-w

The biggest news however is a loving MORLUN modular deck with him and all his Inheritor vampire friends.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hey just asking.for a friend... what date is that announcement?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

hey just asking.for a friend... what date is that announcement?

It's real, no worries---he was leaked a long time ago along with another character.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

At least he keeps his toon counters when he switches and can get them in alter-ego. FFG really needs to stay away from the design of "switching to alter-ego is a reset" because it's seriously been ruining my single-handed play experience.

Spider-Ham could be great though. He's got an event cancel and it seems like he'll have 2x Cartoon Physics, combined with recurring Captain Americat could make him extremely good in Leadership.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Doctor_Acula posted:

I'm hoping to attend one as well. Can't decide if I want to go with a Tremere Rites deck or a Malkavian End is Nigh deck. Open to tips on that.

Very fun game.

I feel like Malkavian's have some fun potential in a multi-player environment with the conspiracies, but I'd also advise making sure you've got tools in the deck two win two different ways, just in case someone's really loving with your primary avenue!

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

pbpancho posted:

I feel like Malkavian's have some fun potential in a multi-player environment with the conspiracies, but I'd also advise making sure you've got tools in the deck two win two different ways, just in case someone's really loving with your primary avenue!

Yeah, very true. The errata to Mad House makes conspiracies much more viable. I think I'm mostly just looking at stalling the table. I'm running some Second Traditions and Keepers of Elysium. I can post a deck tomorrow if you're interested.

Edit:
https://www.rivalsdb.app/deck/view/bwpITmjtmpKnCO5

Doctor_Acula fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 2, 2022

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Finally got Nebula to the table, and decided to go in blind with an untested justice deck against Expert Hood. Probably one of the most fun games I've played so far:

https://youtu.be/k0ldJuiD8U4

Decklist: https://marvelcdb.com/decklist/view/17383/nebula-land-of-confusion-1.0

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I bought the Marvel Champions starter set awhile back (and then bought the Arkham Horror revised starter a little bit later and got waaaaay into that to the point I forgot about MC completely), I've played the starter stuff a bit now, was thinking of buying a few hero packs or possibly one of the big boxes since those come with a couple heroes and some new villains, probably Red Skull or Sinister Motives since I generally prefer the earth based stuff to the cosmic stuff. Are the villain encounter packs well regarded at all? Green Goblin, Kang, the Hood, etc? Could end up buying one of those, a big box and one hero pack potentially, that'd give me enough to be getting on with for a bit.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

thebardyspoon posted:

I bought the Marvel Champions starter set awhile back (and then bought the Arkham Horror revised starter a little bit later and got waaaaay into that to the point I forgot about MC completely), I've played the starter stuff a bit now, was thinking of buying a few hero packs or possibly one of the big boxes since those come with a couple heroes and some new villains, probably Red Skull or Sinister Motives since I generally prefer the earth based stuff to the cosmic stuff. Are the villain encounter packs well regarded at all? Green Goblin, Kang, the Hood, etc? Could end up buying one of those, a big box and one hero pack potentially, that'd give me enough to be getting on with for a bit.

Green Goblin is probably the best scenario pack - you get two fun scenarios that are fairly different from each other. Kang is fun and has some neat encounter sets you can mix in, but works best in multiplayer. I would avoid The Wrecking Crew as it is pretty one dimensional. Haven't gotten around to getting The Hood yet.

For the campaign expansions you are probably safe buying any of them, but most people recommend Red Skull as the best one to start with. It's relatively easy but a good introduction to campaign mechanics and I enjoyed the villains/heroes. Galaxy's Most Wanted is considered extremely difficult.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

thebardyspoon posted:

There hasn’t been a ton of info on Sinister Motives, what is out there is good. I’d probably recommend Red Skull first because it’s I think probably the easiest of the expansions where it really doesn’t amp things up to hard until Red Skull.

Green Goblin is the encounter pack I would recommend most as it has some pretty good bang for buck. The easier version of Goblin is a joke but the harder one is great. Hood is also good but the games can be real swingy depending on how your first couple turns go. Wrecking Crew absolutely sucks, and Kang really only is fun if you can at least get 2 people, but he is fun and id probably give him the slight edge over Hood if you’re always going to have someone to play against.

As far as hero packs go you can’t go terribly wrong. Hulk is terrible and I’d only buy it to get aspect/basic cards. Thor sucks until you fill out your card pool with some more of the later packs and then he becomes amazing. I did a ranking of heroes I like a while ago. I probably will do another once I get Sinister Motives.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Been playing Marvel Champions once or twice a month with two others for the last year or so and I continue to really enjoy it. I'm continuously impressed at how thematic and different each hero can feel with just 15 of their own cards. Same with the villains. The only time I'm really burning out on the game at all is when I play the same hero too many games in a row but then I can just switch to something else. I'm not huge into deck building but the pre-constructed decks are usually pretty good and I can switch out a few cards or netdeck if I feel like it. I also love most of the art. All around a great game.

We picked up the Sinister Motives box today and played as Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Spider-Man (Miles Morales), and Ghost Spider. At one point we also had Spider-Man (Hobie Brown), Spider-UK, and Spider Woman allies out :spidey:

We also occasionally play Arkham Horror The Card Game and though I recognize it's probably a better game, I think I have more fun with Marvel. Playing this game tonight is for some reason making me feel like picking up the LotR Card Game revised core set and playing it solo even though I 1. can pretty much never get into solo games and 2. Already owned the core set and some packs but sold it to a friend years ago.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you don't enjoy deckbuilding do not play LotR LCG.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
After finally getting Sinister Motives, I played with a friend yesterday and we did the first 2 scenarios. The first one was surprisingly fun. The Sand mechanic could be brutal, but bringing defence Ghost Spider into play meant I generally could block the Sandman hit, and then block for my friend as well thanks to her ability. So we didn’t have to worry too much about the counter going up from getting hit. That left him able to push damage and use his ally to constantly remove sand counters with his allies. However, I felt Gwen had some issues. Seriously lack of card draw even with her Bracelet, and I had a super hard time paying for “What doesn’t Kill Me.” I took those cards out and tried her solo against Klaw and I had a super rough go. Low thwart, low damage, and a bit of a tough time playing the spider allies. That’s when I had a bit of a revelation with the deck. I put in unflappable after the first game of course. However, I then took out the energy resource card and I slotted in two power of protections and it made a huge difference. I now could pay for the defence allies way easier, and it meant I could slap “What Doesn’t Kill Me.” onto George and when I got a Power of Protection it was easy to meet the requirements to play. My next solo Klaw game went incredibly well and once I had my board state setup Klaw had no chance even when he did get a Master of Evil out. Incredibly happy with how the deck is now and Ghost Spider can pull of fun combos and makes some cards I never used before pull their weight incredibly well.

Miles was a bit of a shock for me. I didn’t think I’d like him that much but he was powerful. Used him against Venom and the amount of thwarting, stuns and confuses I could pull off was amazing. His special where he gets to confuse and get a tough was incredible as he could pump a bunch of damage onto venom and get like, 3 Extra boosts for Venom, but Venom lacks piercing so Venom’s big boosts did absolutely nothing. He’s an incredibly versatile hero.

The two scenarios were fun. They had unique mechanics to them but never felt like the requirements to them dragged things down. Like with Sandman’s counters you have to kneel to be able to get rid of them but anybody can do it. Whereas in Galaxy’s Most Wanted you generally were limited in removal of stuff because the Milano usually had to be knelt or only your hero could kneel, or you had to pay high costs. It really feels like they found a good design space where the “tokens” the villain has don’t feel like some huge burden to deal with but actually enhance the scenarios. Looking forward to playing more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

The two scenarios were fun. They had unique mechanics to them but never felt like the requirements to them dragged things down. Like with Sandman’s counters you have to kneel to be able to get rid of them but anybody can do it. Whereas in Galaxy’s Most Wanted you generally were limited in removal of stuff because the Milano usually had to be knelt or only your hero could kneel, or you had to pay high costs. It really feels like they found a good design space where the “tokens” the villain has don’t feel like some huge burden to deal with but actually enhance the scenarios. Looking forward to playing more.

it's good to know that it's fun and not a very bullshit design like GMW is. More and more that seems like it was a big blip in the expansion set hierarchy and I'm kind of glad they've leaned more into "modular sets will be the way to tune difficulty" as opposed to just outright making the base encounters full of frustrating stuff.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah I just redid it again and they found a really good design space with Sandman.

I will say the only thing that kinda sucks about Miles and Gwen right now is lack of resource generation. It’s tough with Miles to do some really big costs, so I might look at throwing in some resourceful or something to make sure I can do big plays when needed.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Can’t wait for this to drop stateside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

My copy shipped from the UK to Taiwan claims it will arrive on Wednesday, which is perfect as my champions partner and I are getting together on Sunday for a game.

Can't wait as well, Ghost Spider looks really good and Miles seems like he'll be very strong against an non-stalwart foes. They'll both have to work hard to replace Spider-Woman and Venom as the best Spider-Persons though.