Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rudoku posted:

Nope. That one was the Guntenberg one. Test-Tubular was the one where he had a suicidal Dodo.

The suicidal Dodo is also one of my favorite background gags. Just how no one even cares the Dodo is constantly attempting to kill itself but does the bare minimum to srop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was about to argue against it, thinking it was "Vacation Goo", but then I saw that it was the one where Jeff & Hayley end up homosexually swinging and Roger yells about his imaginary husband molesting their imaginary kids, so I'm in favor. Not a huge fan of the subplot where Steve's leg gets stuffed with bees though, but I might just be a weirdo.

YOU SOUND SMART LIKE HUGH GRANT THE MOVIE STAR BUT YOU'RE DUMB LIKE HUGH GRANT THE PERSON!
CIA funbucks, suicidal lemur, saved once again by hiphop, stan's one-sided competition with a gardener, there's a lot of really good gags thrown about this one.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

limp_cheese posted:

The suicidal Dodo is also one of my favorite background gags. Just how no one even cares the Dodo is constantly attempting to kill itself but does the bare minimum to srop it.

I like the idea that dodos went extinct in the American Dad universe by making serious & repeated efforts to put themselves into life-threatening situations without anyone around to save them from themselves.

Neeksy posted:

YOU SOUND SMART LIKE HUGH GRANT THE MOVIE STAR BUT YOU'RE DUMB LIKE HUGH GRANT THE PERSON!
CIA funbucks, suicidal lemur, saved once again by hiphop, stan's one-sided competition with a gardener, there's a lot of really good gags thrown about this one.

Man, I need to take a weekend and just rewatch seasons 8-10, even the kidney one that I'm like 90% sure I actually do dislike.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

Man, I need to take a weekend and just rewatch seasons 8-10, even the kidney one that I'm like 90% sure I actually do dislike.

Nothing is worse than the My Morning Jacket ep.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Probably my favorite episode is The Future is Borax but I think that hits better if you know the characters a bit.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I think the weed factory one might be one of my least favorites.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mister Kingdom posted:

Spoken like someone who has never seen American Fung.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My least favorite episode is Kung Pao Turkey though it does have a couple good moments. I don't ever really rewatch the first two seasons though. Last time I tried my takeaway was gratitude that they came up with a character for Klaus that wasn't being horny for Francine.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why did I think that they were both in the same episode? I swear, it's like my brain is trying to protect me from "We Are Young" or something.

Ooh, speaking of Klaus, which episode has the B-plot where he tries to get the family to go to a Fabulous Thunderbirds concert and they end up going without him because of a "never wake a sleeping fish" imagined proverb?

Family Affair. Where Roger is seeing other families. Also Reginald's first appearance.

"As the day progressed, he was with nine more families in nine more outfits, the rights to which I doubt he owns... "

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nep-Nep posted:

Probably my favorite episode is The Future is Borax but I think that hits better if you know the characters a bit.

It is a pretty great episode. "It's me, Barry. I'm the rear end in a top hat who can't digest dairy."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

Spoken like someone who has never seen American Fung.

I stand by my statement.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nep-Nep posted:

A lot of the best episodes are like that, they're funny on their own but they hit even better when you know the characters because there's a lot of small jokes that build into bigger ones.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A lot of the best episodes are like that, they're funny on their own but they hit even better when you know the characters because there's a lot of small jokes that build into bigger ones.

Its why I didn't mention the episode where Klaus becomes the family therapist. Its one of my favorites but without the context of the characters it would fall flat. Watching Jeff scream "NNNOOOOOO" when he learns Haley is playing ultimate frisbee without him, beautiful but over the heads of people who don't know Jeff.

Also Sgt. Pepper is amazing.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Hahaha, holy poo poo, I just learned that Kevin Michael Richardson, aka Principal Lewis, also voiced Goro in the 90's Mortal Kombat. Goro just sounds like Lewis doing a bit the whole time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ricky Spanish says: “Happy 4/20!”

https://twitter.com/americandadtbs/status/1516832412000567304?s=21&t=uZmJDawdO6aaNtDoO7RHZw

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mister Kingdom posted:

hard agree

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Even though American Dad loves to go big with dumb jokes, I also enjoy the ones where they know to go just small enough.

In the episode where Steve becomes a fake ID maker, at the end of the episode Roger (as Kevin Ramage) runs Jeff's van over the Armenian gangsters while yelling "KEVIN RAMAGE!" and then we cut to a far camera where the van just zooms off the pier and disappears into the harbour with a small splash. And then the shot holds static for a few seconds, the episode moves on, nobody comments on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlimxZ40EHY&t=109s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://youtu.be/8fvbWRNCnXw

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I want to thank you for posting this. The line that Stan says at the end, "He's just so bad at moving his body", is something I love using but could not remember where it was from.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Neeksy posted:

Killer Vacation is one that I would suggest, the accidental dolphin assassinations were great and everyone gets a shot at the b-story, with Steve's being amazing.

That episode taught me that Americans will believe anything you say if you have an English accent and it turns out it's barely an exaggeration.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Whorelord posted:

That episode taught me that Americans will believe anything you say if you have an English accent and it turns out it's barely an exaggeration.

What are maggots if not wingless bees?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Whorelord posted:

As an English guy who spent 4 years studying at an American university, I can confirm this is absolute fact.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Whorelord posted:

If you say that in an english accent, they'll believe you doubly so!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They do a similar thing later on with the cockney mall guy?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 26, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

They do a similar thing later on with the cockney mall guy?

I love that joke so much as my dad sounds a lot like him.

“What did he say?”
“I think it was poetry.”

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Possibly bad news from the Discovery / Warner Merger:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/tnt-tbs-scripted-programming-development-scrapped-warner-bros-discovery-1235241348/

No new scripted shows on TNT or TBS, no word on existing shows.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm gonna go bananas!!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would assume anything they want to keep they'll move to HBO Max.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PotatoJudge posted:

Possibly bad news from the Discovery / Warner Merger:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/tnt-tbs-scripted-programming-development-scrapped-warner-bros-discovery-1235241348/

No new scripted shows on TNT or TBS, no word on existing shows.

This seems really short sighted of them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

bull3964 posted:

I would assume anything they want to keep they'll move to HBO Max.

American Dad! is Disney property, so if anything it would go to Hulu.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

If there is no new American Dad that might be the final nail in the coffin to get rid of cable. One of the only reasons I have it is to catch new episodes of American Dad.

I also have it for Toonami but their line up hasn't been great the past few years.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That story is specifically about new shows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zero One posted:

That story is specifically about new shows.

Yeah, but if you aren't investing in new shows, how much longer are you going keep renewing existing.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Brawnfire posted:

I'm gonna go bananas!!!

Don't you do it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I'm gonna go bananas!!!

Do it, Steven. Go bananas.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

limp_cheese posted:

If there is no new American Dad that might be the final nail in the coffin to get rid of cable. One of the only reasons I have it is to catch new episodes of American Dad.

If you don't mind doing something :filez: -adjacent and a little work, there's a ~collection of publicly available IPTV channels from all over the world~ that has east and west coast TBS feeds

e: and Adult Swim/Toonami Aftermath(?)

When Pigs Cry fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 27, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
You can also get American Dad on iTunes. New episodes are usually available a few hours afterwards.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Seconding that iTunes has been pretty reliable in getting the eps out really quickly after airing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but if you aren't investing in new shows, how much longer are you going keep renewing existing.

Well they're currently contracted for two more seasons so they have time to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This show better not end without revealing the Jeff and Barry project.