Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Demiurge4 posted:

That tracks with the rumoured layoffs they did to downsize the team again after growing the team during the first year. The game has sold about as many units as it’s gonna, so putting out a bunch of big updates doesn’t make economic sense. I think we’ll see the roadmap pared down after a while and a quiet 1.0 slapped on possibly early next year.

The game feels complete enough as is, the only glaring omission is that it has no story but that seems to be mostly worked out behind the scenes already. My guess is that there's one more production machine added which deals with quantum crystals and the other items that haven't been released yet (probably some version of the quantum encoder machine which was datamined a long time ago), then the planned terrain updates and story to be shipped as 1.0. Probably a reworking of several recipes in the process, I saw that there were a bunch of gases datamined around the time nitrogen was released along with more fluids like rocket fuel which haven't yet been implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demiurge4 posted:

That tracks with the rumoured layoffs they did to downsize the team again after growing the team during the first year. The game has sold about as many units as it’s gonna, so putting out a bunch of big updates doesn’t make economic sense. I think we’ll see the roadmap pared down after a while and a quiet 1.0 slapped on possibly early next year.

Where exactly were these layoffs rumored? Seems like a weird rumor, considering the company that has moved offices twice in the past few years because they needed more space. (Also CS is the publisher for Vanheim, so I imagine their overall financials are just fine, regardless of decisions about Satisfactory's exact spot on the sales curve.)

Also, what roadmap? Like, I don't disagree that they're gonna wrap up things up and finish the game, but your phrasing implies there's a big list of content that's being dropped.

Unfulfilled promises:
• The story & something to use the artifacts for
• Giant Enemy Crab

The boss crab probably isn't happening, but it ain't exactly Star Citizen here.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Strange things afoot at the Doggo Haus on April 1st:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my main gripes remains that it feels like coal is way to important given it's both steel and power. that and power plants of any kind are obnoxious on account of fun with pipes and just the sheer amount of them you make. the clipping update make it so it wasn't as "gently caress you this is the only thing going here" but still I don't want to make 32 coal plants

Klyith posted:

Where exactly were these layoffs rumored? Seems like a weird rumor, considering the company that has moved offices twice in the past few years because they needed more space. (Also CS is the publisher for Vanheim, so I imagine their overall financials are just fine, regardless of decisions about Satisfactory's exact spot on the sales curve.)

The story we got from someone who claimed to work there and now at Paradox is that the original heads came back, got huffy that there was a lot of new faces and it wasn't the same familiar, cozy set up and so sacked a bunch of people and now we're here.

How much they were exaggerating is a toss up.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 2, 2022

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I doubt that simply because they are based in Sweden and you can't just fire someone there. You will need a really good reason and it takes months.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The main gripes I have with the game at the moment is that piping and water extractors are still a pain in the butt, and trucks are as others pointed out somewhat awkward to use still. They're better than they were, but not being able to edit a track (beyond deleting individual nodes) without deleting and re-recording it is annoying.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gamerofthegame posted:

my main gripes remains that it feels like coal is way to important given it's both steel and power. that and power plants of any kind are obnoxious on account of fun with pipes and just the sheer amount of them you make. the clipping update make it so it wasn't as "gently caress you this is the only thing going here" but still I don't want to make 32 coal plants

1. Overclock your power plants. There is zero loss of efficiency from OCing generators. (With coal a nice number is 194% because that uses 75 water, so 4 plants per mk1 pipe, and generating 125MW each.)

2. Do you actually need to make 32 coal plants? That's 2.4GW, which is kinda a lot of power when you're still in the steel age. Now, having a big coal plant can be quite useful. It means you can do more oil stuff or start trains without needing to make a fuel power plant. But it's not a necessity, especially now that we have batteries.

3. Uh, if you don't like building 32 of a thing, this may not be the game for you.

Pipes OTOH... pipes are the thing that was a mistake in retrospect and probably the biggest flaw in the game. The fluid sim just has too many gotchas for most people. I enjoy the complexity, but from the objective game design view they're not good for the wide audience the game wants to target.

Dunno-Lars posted:

I doubt that simply because they are based in Sweden and you can't just fire someone there. You will need a really good reason and it takes months.

Could be that people got moved off the project onto whatever next thing the studio is working on. (Or helping on Vanheim & Deep Rock, if their publisher relationships with those companies are like that.)

Also I'm not trying to say that everything must be hunky dory because they're growing -- "XYZ game studio is morass of personal abuse and sexual harassment" is a weekly news story at this point. So things could be all sorts of hosed up and I would not be shocked, because at this point it would take murders for me to be shocked at game studio dysfunction. However, the exterior evidence is the game has had multiple major updates that delivered good content, which makes a dev cuts rumor seem pretty weird.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

Train chat
I think it comes down to how the game is designed and my expectations around that design. When I put down my first base I'm bootstrapping production of the basic materials up to reinforced plates so I can begin building in earnest. This is the point in the game where I begin exploring and exploiting deposits that are further away from my main base and where the limits start to break down for me, because I don't want to bootstrap at every grouping ore iron and copper. If I had access to (lovely) trains from the getgo, I could focus on building large regional factories in a centralized format that produce XYZ resources that I eventually take back to the primary factory around the space elevator to feed into space.

Because every deposit is infinite, it's basically just a resource tap in my mind. I hate the fact that I have to spend 10 minutes walking across the map to grab an inventory full of quartz. I hate even more that in order to not make that trip again I have to build a long and ugly chain of belts back to a base, where I will still have to revisit in the late game to redesign the whole thing.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Is multiplayer more stable than it has been in the past? I saw someone mention they were playing with a group whch was pretty much impossible when I played this last.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Is multiplayer more stable than it has been in the past? I saw someone mention they were playing with a group whch was pretty much impossible when I played this last.

I'm playing a 2 player game right now and there are only two detriments that I can think of: items on belts are just suggestions that phase in and out of existence (they are technically there, just not visually), and sometimes when either of us die our bodies phase through the world and we can't get revived or retrieve our death crate. Oh and all vehicles are one man, even the car which clearly has two seats.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The game feels complete enough as is, the only glaring omission is that it has no story but that seems to be mostly worked out behind the scenes already. My guess is that there's one more production machine added which deals with quantum crystals and the other items that haven't been released yet (probably some version of the quantum encoder machine which was datamined a long time ago), then the planned terrain updates and story to be shipped as 1.0. Probably a reworking of several recipes in the process, I saw that there were a bunch of gases datamined around the time nitrogen was released along with more fluids like rocket fuel which haven't yet been implemented.

I mean, the game's loving great for it's purchase price right now, but there's glaringly obvious unfinished bits left that I'd be a little irritated if weren't finished eventually

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Deki posted:

I mean, the game's loving great for it's purchase price right now, but there's glaringly obvious unfinished bits left that I'd be a little irritated if weren't finished eventually

Game isn't complete until the Mercer Sphere asks me how I want to do this.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Right now I'm holding off playing the game more until the full release version, this is because of an experience I had when they updated how the power works and I had to scramble to stop my entire base from shutting down. Huge sweeping changes could come to entire sections of the game and the more effort I put into making my base the more time it would take for me to fix everything.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Deki posted:

The most obvious things like SAM ore and collectibles are going to be used for the story, besides that I'm not sure what you mean. There are a handful of holes in the map but it's mostly finished besides stuff like this:

Most of which I expect to be smoothed over with the terrain update which has been in the works for a long time. The Spire Coast being completely redone is about the only bit of useful information the devs have given out about future updates, supposedly the location of nodes are even going to change which is something they generally try to avoid. The core of the game isn't likely to change much and already spans from early iron products to automated drones and particle accelerators, the final planned stage of quantum objects seems like more than enough for a 1.0 release. Since they're saving the story for that 1.0 release I'm hoping it comes sooner rather than later, the game has already been in early access for three years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Demiurge4 posted:

I think it comes down to how the game is designed and my expectations around that design.
[...]
If I had access to (lovely) trains from the getgo, I could focus on building large regional factories in a centralized format that produce XYZ resources that I eventually take back to the primary factory around the space elevator to feed into space.

Hrmmmm. So you've got the right ideas. Number 1 is that logistics is the true challenge of the game. You have infinite resources and infinite time, but things are not in the same place and getting combination and permutation of things together is hard. (Sometimes transporting stuff 50m is harder than 5km. Ex, how do I feed 2400 screws per minute into a distributor manifold in the middle of a complete mess?)

However, I think that your planning scale is wrong. Shipping the elevator phase 2 is just iron, copper, and steel. That's not hard to get together -- depending on your start location, at most a tractor carrying coal. And you don't need to plan for 10x more of the same thing you're doing now to complete phase 3.

Trains are a cool and powerful weapon to solve some logistics problems. The reason they're in tier 6 is not because the game is dragging itself out before it gives you the +5 sword of boss-killing. It's because tier 1-4 are tutorial, the real satisfactory starts at 5. The challenges get much harder.

Demiurge4 posted:

This is the point in the game where I begin exploring and exploiting deposits that are further away from my main base and where the limits start to break down for me, because I don't want to bootstrap at every grouping ore iron and copper.

Uh, does this mean you are mining and transporting every iron & copper deposit you encounter as you explore? If so, you can stop doing that. They're available everywhere, and vastly more than you need.

Demiurge4 posted:

Because every deposit is infinite, it's basically just a resource tap in my mind. I hate the fact that I have to spend 10 minutes walking across the map to grab an inventory full of quartz. I hate even more that in order to not make that trip again I have to build a long and ugly chain of belts back to a base, where I will still have to revisit in the late game to redesign the whole thing.

It's a tap, but in a world of infinite resource you should think of everything as flow. That means you don't need to turn on a tap until you have something to produce with it.

For things like quartz and caterium, 1 or 2 inventory loads is all you need for the first part of the game. The things you can make from the MAM research trees don't need vast quantities -- you don't need to set up a full production line those parts in tier 1-4. They're not really integrated into the complete production until you start making computers (at which point quartz & caterium are super useful). My first game we spent some time setting up a tractor route to bring quartz back to our main base... and then never did anything with it at the main base.

Long term, you're gonna have to get comfortable with revisiting & redesigning. It's either that or abandon old production completely and move to new locations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Our group is doing I think nine people and it runs fine. There are plenty of minor graphical glitches for people who aren't the host and cars are a completely host-only but otherwise it works fine. (Stand outs are belts have a tendency to bug out, cracked boulders can still look like they're there and the game really hates it when your client walks through it while thinking it's still there, etc. Also sky nut.) Allegedly if all clients have the same mod that works, too, but I haven't tried modded play so I dunno from personal experience.

Klyith posted:

Hrmmmm. So you've got the right ideas. Number 1 is that logistics is the true challenge of the game. You have infinite resources and infinite time, but things are not in the same place and getting combination and permutation of things together is hard. (Sometimes transporting stuff 50m is harder than 5km. Ex, how do I feed 2400 screws per minute into a distributor manifold in the middle of a complete mess?)

However, I think that your planning scale is wrong. Shipping the elevator phase 2 is just iron, copper, and steel. That's not hard to get together -- depending on your start location, at most a tractor carrying coal. And you don't need to plan for 10x more of the same thing you're doing now to complete phase 3.

Trains are a cool and powerful weapon to solve some logistics problems. The reason they're in tier 6 is not because the game is dragging itself out before it gives you the +5 sword of boss-killing. It's because tier 1-4 are tutorial, the real satisfactory starts at 5. The challenges get much harder.

Uh, does this mean you are mining and transporting every iron & copper deposit you encounter as you explore? If so, you can stop doing that. They're available everywhere, and vastly more than you need.

It's a tap, but in a world of infinite resource you should think of everything as flow. That means you don't need to turn on a tap until you have something to produce with it.

For things like quartz and caterium, 1 or 2 inventory loads is all you need for the first part of the game. The things you can make from the MAM research trees don't need vast quantities -- you don't need to set up a full production line those parts in tier 1-4. They're not really integrated into the complete production until you start making computers (at which point quartz & caterium are super useful). My first game we spent some time setting up a tractor route to bring quartz back to our main base... and then never did anything with it at the main base.

Long term, you're gonna have to get comfortable with revisiting & redesigning. It's either that or abandon old production completely and move to new locations.

oh word?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Have been playing a lot lately and forgot how much fear this game instills in me.
I mean I can build a single block wide bridge across lava in the Nether with no problems but somehow building a platform ramp up the side of a cliff or across to a drop pod just terrifies me.
I have a bizarre fear of rooftops but not flying IRL, somehow this game captures the rooftops part.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My three-player group launched our final Space Elevator package last night. Since the game isn't finished, the "ending" was kind of anticlimactic. "Welp, guess we're done until the developers add more stuff."

Multiplayer generally worked great for us. Occasionally the belts would mess up for one of the client machines -- a random item would just suddenly appear on a belt and jam up a factory until it got cleared off. This happened much more frequently as we expanded our builds, so I feel like it's probably latency-related.

We never had the issue with items not displaying correctly on the belts. The host machine is pretty beefy and has a really good Internet connection, so maybe that's why.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Thank you for this playlist. I tried looking up Satisfactory guides on Youtube and wasn't able to find many that were tolerable. Scalti explains everything they're doing really well. Very helpful!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Otacon posted:

Thank you for this playlist. I tried looking up Satisfactory guides on Youtube and wasn't able to find many that were tolerable. Scalti explains everything they're doing really well. Very helpful!

I do like Scaltis stuff for compact and cleanliness.
I just used 2 of TotalXclipses tutorials for computer/super computer, though I found his explanations confusing as hell sometimes.
But in the end they do work pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxpToD1Are7gX-QGoY4OKW2D3rLHZeIs6

I tried using the production planner on satisfactory-calculator.com for heavy modular frames the other day building it myself and I got lost a few times because its example is a mess.
I think i'll stick with the YT vids.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

OgNar posted:

I tried using the production planner on satisfactory-calculator.com for heavy modular frames the other day building it myself and I got lost a few times because its example is a mess.
I think i'll stick with the YT vids.

Satisfactory-calculator.com is good for the world map but I've never liked their production planner. Try this one instead, I find it a lot easier to use/read:

https://www.satisfactorytools.com/production

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

OgNar posted:

I do like Scaltis stuff for compact and cleanliness.
I just used 2 of TotalXclipses tutorials for computer/super computer, though I found his explanations confusing as hell sometimes.
But in the end they do work pretty good.

One of his "Best Start Ever" videos was the basis for my initial setups, but he moved really quickly and was using too many game-specific terms new players wouldn't necessarily know... on a video advertised towards new players.

Scalti shows EVERYTHING (some of it sped up of course) and talks about WHY he's putting such-and-such there, rather than just "Ok put this here and this here and this here" which doesn't really allow you to understand the method behind the madness.

I've already learned quite a few new things from an episode and a half of Scalti. Sincerely, thank you again!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Satisfactory-calculator.com is good for the world map but I've never liked their production planner. Try this one instead, I find it a lot easier to use/read:

https://www.satisfactorytools.com/production

It is, thank you.

I died in the most horrible way yesterday out HD hunting.
At a drop pod in a gas field thats in water.
I started taking radiation damage so started grabbing anything laying about.
Of course what was laying about was barrels of toxic waste (I think).
Had like 4 HDs on me and a full inventory from all the stuff and no way to retrieve it until I unlock hazard suits.
I just unlocked Bauxite so thats a bit away.
Oh well.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
You could technically pack up the hub, redeploy it close to your irradiated corpse but out of range, then run to your body, open the box, grab a radioactive item and try to trash it before it kills you.

Or separate it from your other stuff and die so it's on a different corpse box and slowly move the non-radioactive stuff away from the box with all the radiation in it.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Tame a lizard doggo, give it the nuclear waste and toss it off the map for a permanent solution. Dropping cars full of nuclear waste off the side of the map/into the void does not work, they do not despawn and will just add lag to your game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nuclear waste is never just lying around like other materials, you were probably taking damage from a nearby uranium deposit. The gas tends to be a much bigger issue when hard drive hunting since the damage stacks if you're next to multiple sources of gas. Whatever is killing you, it should still be easy enough to heal to full and run in and grab all your stuff with time to get out. The hazards around drop sites are never enough that you need to wait for later tech to approach them, radiation suits are more for when you're constructing a nuclear refinery and know you'll be around radioactive sources constantly. In my last save I never bothered to build a gas mask since it takes longer to work out filter production than to just tank the damage with readily available healing items.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dunno-Lars posted:

Dropping cars full of nuclear waste off the side of the map/into the void does not work, they do not despawn and will just add lag to your game.

This is actually not true! Cars do not fall forever into the void. Above a certain range from the player, they have physics turned off and stop falling. And at even higher ranges vehicles are despawned from the engine (though not from the game data, so you still see their icons on the map). So they don't really add lag, though if you had enough of them it might make the map screen bad.

This isn't exactly an endorsement of driving tractors full of waste into the void -- putting regular containers at the bottom of the build limit is just as good and has fewer downsides.

I did the experiment to show this & posted it on reddit, but it got pretty much ignored. (Posts that go against common wisdom / what the wiki says tend to go that way.)

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Klyith posted:

This is actually not true! Cars do not fall forever into the void. Above a certain range from the player, they have physics turned off and stop falling. And at even higher ranges vehicles are despawned from the engine (though not from the game data, so you still see their icons on the map). So they don't really add lag, though if you had enough of them it might make the map screen bad.

This isn't exactly an endorsement of driving tractors full of waste into the void -- putting regular containers at the bottom of the build limit is just as good and has fewer downsides.

I did the experiment to show this & posted it on reddit, but it got pretty much ignored. (Posts that go against common wisdom / what the wiki says tend to go that way.)

Is "Satisfactory: This isn't exactly an endorsement of driving tractors full of waste into the void" too long for a thread title?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Nuclear waste is never just lying around like other materials, you were probably taking damage from a nearby uranium deposit.
There is at least one crash site with uranium waste (the yellow barrel) laying on the ground. If I recall correctly, it's in the very swampy area on the east-central part of the map.

It surprised the heck out of us, because it was one of the last hard drives we recovered, and we'd never seen free-range uranium waste before.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope they will finish Spire Coast soon, so I can quit my hiatus and start wasting precious time on this game again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

There is at least one crash site with uranium waste (the yellow barrel) laying on the ground. If I recall correctly, it's in the very swampy area on the east-central part of the map.

It surprised the heck out of us, because it was one of the last hard drives we recovered, and we'd never seen free-range uranium waste before.

Guess I never noticed since it's underwater.

Thought it was excluded from the pool of crash site items completely, maybe it's just this one instance. Mean trick to play on people who instinctively grab everything in the area without looking at what it is.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Crash site items aren't random though, they are hand placed just like everything else on the map.
Why a drop pod would be carrying a barrel of waste on board is the next good question.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nielsm posted:

Crash site items aren't random though, they are hand placed just like everything else on the map.
Why a drop pod would be carrying a barrel of waste on board is the next good question.

So that's where the doggos get it from! Space garbage!

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Dunno-Lars posted:

Tame a lizard doggo, give it the nuclear waste and toss it off the map for a permanent solution. Dropping cars full of nuclear waste off the side of the map/into the void does not work, they do not despawn and will just add lag to your game.

Coffee Stain patched that particular exploit shortly after LGIO's video dropped. Lizard doggoes will no longer accept nuclear waste into their inventory slot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Heh, why the effort even? It seems like a loving tedious task to make even a slightest dent into the waste situation.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's the most "stop having fun" patch ever. The punishment for going through that effort is that you went through all the effort to do such a middling weird thing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just make a convoluted way to launch the nuclear waste into the sun or something 💁

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can sink plutonium fuel rods which I think is the most elegant solution of all to the waste issue.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SettingSun posted:

You can sink plutonium fuel rods which I think is the most elegant solution of all to the waste issue.

This is what my group did, but it's a multi-step process that requires several different inputs and a decent amount of power.

If you just need to get rid of a small amount of Uranium Waste, the short term solution is to build a long bridge out where nobody will ever need to go, set up some industrial containers, and belt everything out there. Out of sight, out of mind.

Once you get to the endgame, you can then route the outputs from those containers into your new reprocessing setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just make a convoluted way to launch the nuclear waste into the sun or something 💁

With a 1 in 1000 chance it explodes on launch and irradiates some area :haw: