Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's one of the landing challenges in MSFS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ah, St Barts. Back when I got my first multi-engine job flying C402's and Aztec's, the boss was a boomer prick like most Part 135 owners. One day he came back to TJSJ late and without his Aztec. With a heroic tale about how the airplane malfunctioned while on final for TFFJ RWY10 and he saved the day but had to leave the airplane there for minor repairs. This was around 2009 so the beginning of smartphone cameras, YouTube, and viral videos. A few days later a video popped up of him completely loving up his approach, refusing to go-around, and finally touching down way down the runway and crashing at the end. We showed him the video during one of his weekly meetings where he would lecture us about safety. He became livid and told us to delete it and not share it with anyone. We had to explain to him how YouTube worked.

Anyways here's the video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2o0acIlm4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's the minimum runway length for an Aztec? I'm guessing more than 860 feet.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 6, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Where most landing challenges in FS are difficult but not super hard with a few retries, St. Barts is one that I have never once been able to hit even close to good. I’ve definitely gotten it down but any passengers would be making GBS threads their pants either from the smack or the relative lack of runway in front of us.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The one where you land a King Air on a glorified helipad in the middle of the ocean is pretty nuts as well

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Animal posted:

Ah, St Barts. Back when I got my first multi-engine job flying C402's and Aztec's, the boss was a boomer prick like most Part 135 owners. One day he came back to TJSJ late and without his Aztec. With a heroic tale about how the airplane malfunctioned while on final for TFFJ RWY10 and he saved the day but had to leave the airplane there for minor repairs. This was around 2009 so the beginning of smartphone cameras, YouTube, and viral videos. A few days later a video popped up of him completely loving up his approach, refusing to go-around, and finally touching down way down the runway and crashing at the end. We showed him the video during one of his weekly meetings where he would lecture us about safety. He became livid and told us to delete it and not share it with anyone. We had to explain to him how YouTube worked.

lmao this is loving wonderful.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ah, the good old days, where videos didn't just cut out two frames after the main action.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah, the good old days, where videos didn't just cut out two frames after the main action.

WATCH UNTIL THE END... U WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS!!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Animal posted:

Wow, the video of your boss loving up is one I show almost all of my students when we start discussing short-field landings and/or the importance of go-arounds. I love that video so much.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you have not touched down by midfield at ANY runway, you should probably go around. When you manage to get the nose down on the wrong set of touchdown area markers, you have hosed UP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

If you have not touched down by midfield at ANY runway, you should probably go around. When you manage to get the nose down on the wrong set of touchdown area markers, you have hosed UP.

Midfield on a very long runway in a suitable plane is acceptable in my opinion, provided you intended to do it and planned for it, just like intersection takeoffs are fine given enough runway. I think it's more accurate to say: you should always be landing within a situationally appropriate distance from your intended touchdown point, probably never more than 500 feet or so but occasionally less.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

The one where you land a King Air on a glorified helipad in the middle of the ocean is pretty nuts as well

From that description I’m gonna guess it’s probably Saba TNCS?

Speaking of lovely airports in the middle of nowhere, is St. Helena FHSH in the game?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Speaking of lovely airports in the middle of nowhere, is St. Helena FHSH in the game?

Can confirm: it is. I'm not sure if the sim accurately models the hosed windshear around it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I love it when modders put in their own little local airports. The best ones also include a little guy in the little tower, a snack truck for visitors and some regulars' cars in the lot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PT6A posted:

Can confirm: it is. I'm not sure if the sim accurately models the hosed windshear around it.

Maybe not super accurately, but MSFS does model how air moves around cliffs and mountains and whatnot.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Animal posted:

lol, i was wondering why ppl wouldn't just approach from over the water until i saw this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

If you have not touched down by midfield at ANY runway, you should probably go around.

airplane: cessna 150
runway: merced-castle rwy 31

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Maybe the bay/other hill is deceiving in its closeness, but a question for pilots: why doesn’t St Barts run opposite and have a sweeping turn near the hill into a very short final?

My sim-knowledge-only guess is that it potentially sets you up to be totally hosed if anything goes wrong and it doesn’t give you a lot of time to figure out if you’ve hosed up? Once you turn for the runway you’re basically boxed, so you wouldn’t have any room to go around, especially if your go-around is anywhere near the threshold of the runway. On top of that the turn wouldn’t give you much time to stabilize an approach, so you’d put yourself in an even worse “go/no-go” decision spot since there’s more to manage closer to that ultimate decision point.

Am I close? I ask because while I haven’t attempted it in the sim, naively I think it feels a whole lot easier to make a sweeping turn into a landing with slope to help me instead of a terrifying steep descent where I feel like I have to drop the fucker if I want to slow down on the slope.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, it's a very short runway and the hill means there's no possibility of a go-around if you gently caress up and land long. The wacky steep approach over the road is the better of two bad options.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Most airplanes can descend at a greater angle than they're capable of climbing at, so having a runway with an obstacle at the approach end but nothing on the departure end is significantly safer than one where the obstacle is on the departure end of the runway, especially at an airport that sees mostly smaller piston or turboprop airplanes that don't have a ton of excess power.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Maybe the bay/other hill is deceiving in its closeness, but a question for pilots: why doesn’t St Barts run opposite and have a sweeping turn near the hill into a very short final?

My sim-knowledge-only guess is that it potentially sets you up to be totally hosed if anything goes wrong and it doesn’t give you a lot of time to figure out if you’ve hosed up? Once you turn for the runway you’re basically boxed, so you wouldn’t have any room to go around, especially if your go-around is anywhere near the threshold of the runway. On top of that the turn wouldn’t give you much time to stabilize an approach, so you’d put yourself in an even worse “go/no-go” decision spot since there’s more to manage closer to that ultimate decision point.

Am I close? I ask because while I haven’t attempted it in the sim, naively I think it feels a whole lot easier to make a sweeping turn into a landing with slope to help me instead of a terrifying steep descent where I feel like I have to drop the fucker if I want to slow down on the slope.

Both directions are available for landing. Only takeoffs on runway 28 are prohibited. Winds decide which direction is in use.

There are challenges with landing on 28 too: the go-around point is on the base leg before you turn final. There is no going around once you have turned. For 10 you can still go around on final.

A steep approach isnt very difficult. That's not the concern. The pilot in that video could and should have gone around and would have been fine. But if they were landing 28 they couldn't have gone around safely because of the hills. Not being able to go around because you floated too long and crashing into the hill is the biggest risk.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 7, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

MrYenko posted:

i dunno what if you just really want the flight to be over tho?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Nose down harder

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

azflyboy posted:

Most airplanes can descend at a greater angle than they're capable of climbing at,.

Technically all airplanes can descend at a greater angle than they can climb. -90deg is an angle.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Technically all airplanes can descend at a greater angle than they can climb. -90deg is an angle.

*F-15 joins the chat*

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I know the MSFS F-18 fidelity is not the best, but hey it's accessible and fun, going vertical in the F-18 is a total blast. Unfortunately they haven't fixed the super stark line where scenery turns extremely green bug and probably never will, but whatever.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's a Cessna 414 coming to MSFS and it looks :swoon: Still in early access so not on the in-sim marketplace yet but hopefully it will be at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKtrwVpWghA

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh man, I want that. The flat engines alone make it better for sightseeing than the Pipers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

There's a Cessna 414 coming to MSFS and it looks :swoon: Still in early access so not on the in-sim marketplace yet but hopefully it will be at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKtrwVpWghA

jerry simulator 2022!

the title card of the video is even in the bay area lol

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
winwing hardware is generally considered to be good, right? I've got a VKB stick and pedals and mostly fly MSFS, but have started getting into DCS a bit as well and want to pick up a throttle, so I was looking at their F18 throttle. I live in Korea and from what I've seen the only standalone throttles that are relatively easily sourced here are the winwing stuff or the TM TWCS. (Buying a cm3 direct from virpil would also be an option but after shipping/import costs that's a pretty substantial price jump over the winwing for me, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the cost?)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

astr0man posted:

winwing hardware is generally considered to be good, right? I've got a VKB stick and pedals and mostly fly MSFS, but have started getting into DCS a bit as well and want to pick up a throttle, so I was looking at their F18 throttle. I live in Korea and from what I've seen the only standalone throttles that are relatively easily sourced here are the winwing stuff or the TM TWCS. (Buying a cm3 direct from virpil would also be an option but after shipping/import costs that's a pretty substantial price jump over the winwing for me, and I'm not sure it'd be worth the cost?)

I have their throttle and it’s great. I just converted it into the F-16 handle, and while absolutely amazing for that airplane, I kind of miss the F-18 handle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, it's a very short runway and the hill means there's no possibility of a go-around if you gently caress up and land long. The wacky steep approach over the road is the better of two bad options.

Yeah, and by Canadian standards... this is something you're required to train for: namely, how to clear an obstacle on approach to a short runway.

The larger issue for most planes is: it's an exceptionally short runway, in addition to having a difficult approach. 2,100ft isn't a lot of room for your bog-standard piston twin. It's totally doable, but you have to nail your speed and glideslope on approach, and be ready to go around when you know you've hosed it up. We've replaced tires on our Seneca because someone (an instructor, I should point out) got a bit nervous on a 3,300ft. runway, forgot to raise flaps, and locked the brakes real bad. There's "what the POH says you can do" and "what your average pilot can do in practice" and they often don't bear much similarity to one another.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 8, 2022

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Animal posted:

I have their throttle and it’s great.

Went ahead and ordered the winwing, thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

There's "what the POH says you can do" and "what your average pilot can do in practice" and they often don't bear much similarity to one another.

That was definitely hammered into me in flight training, yep.

The POH performance table says that in so-and-so situation you can bring the plane to a stop in 1385 feet. Can you land in 1385 feet?

The figure in the book was achieved with a brand new plane in perfect shape, on an ideal day, with precisely measured weather conditions, on a carefully swept runway, with a professional test pilot at the controls, and 1385' was the best number he got after dozens of attempts.

Do you feel lucky?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

That is so funny.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Animal posted:

It appears he also failed to mention in his heroic tale that he poo poo himself when the plane crashed.

Because he absolutely did.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

Wow, the video of your boss loving up is one I show almost all of my students when we start discussing short-field landings and/or the importance of go-arounds. I love that video so much.

That warms my heart. Tell them his name is Freddy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oh by the way I’m a big fan of that YouTube channel AIRBOYD (peep its most viewed videos), I’ve seen this video many times before I started getting my PPL. It’s a classic in plane nerd YouTube

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Oh by the way I’m a big fan of that YouTube channel AIRBOYD (peep its most viewed videos), I’ve seen this video many times before I started getting my PPL. It’s a classic in plane nerd YouTube

I wasn’t aware that it had become so popular since then, I love that. I hope it’s haunted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mokotow posted:

I actually have family that lives on Saba and flown that in real life (Twin Otter is the usual).

The takeoff is actually the fun part, but the trick is don't forget the props as soon as you touch down. If you just go to idle and stand on the brakes, chances are you're not going to have a good day.