Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serephina posted:

The first time I saw a faceless I just let out a huge belly laugh, I wasn't angry at all. Didn't reload to save that guy's life, enjoyed the magical moment for what it was.

I once had a faceless show up on the second floor of a building, whack at my soldier, miss, blow up the floor, and dropped them both to the burning first floor. Not a great day for either of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fat Samurai posted:

I've played 30 minutes of Crystal Project and the starting area had 5 slime combats (which is completely expected for this type of game) and 5 chests scattered around the area which required platforming with a camera that hid your character pretty often and bad controls and to get (which is not). The way my brain works, I need those chests, no matter how disappointing the contents are.

Does the game keep on doing that? That's not exploration, that's a waste of time.

That’s the entire game, sorry

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lakbay posted:

That’s the entire game, sorry
Hell yeah

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

there’s a dark event that hides some faceless amongst the random civilians in every mission instead of only in terror missions. but in non-terror missions, there seems to be no penalty for civilians dying. this means the optimal play anytime you launch a grenade at an enemy is to try to catch as many extra civilians in the blast as possible in case there’s a faceless in there. The speaker is right, XCOM are terrorists

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
I feel like I'm starting to go through games quickly not because I am beating them but because I usually find some small issue with a game that I can't get over and I just move on to the next one. I think I've entered the grumpy old man yells at cloud phase.

I started playing Satisfactory and I had such a hilariously bad experience but it looks very fun and I want to revisit it.

I quickly got annoyed at having to go to my inventory to switch between my weapon and healing item so I started trying to hotkey them. Apparently there isn't a way to do this but I somehow did manage to drop my weapon while trying to hotkey it.
I figure I'll just make another one but that requires resources I don't have yet. The resources all have enemies around them. I run up and grab the ore as quickly as I can and run away. They follow me back to my base and corpse camp me. Elden Ring was a cakewalk compared to this.

Then I decided I wanted to play Control but I guess they did some shady poo poo with Humble Bundle where they and Steam said it's the complete version but it really wasn't and they don't sell the DLC separate so you have to rebuy a game you own to play the DLC. I would rather set $40 on fire then ever give that company a dime again so it's uninstalled and will never be played. It's such a shame because I loved and 100%'d both Alan Wake games.

Trying Days Gone right now. Save system is apparently cosmetic until you get your bike but otherwise the port seems good and KB/M feels great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've become quite enamored with Days Gone. It's definitely a AA game and there are some goofy things because of that but the general gameplay, setting, and story are great. Also there's a massive amount of content.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

zoux posted:

I've become quite enamored with Days Gone. It's definitely a AA game and there are some goofy things because of that but the general gameplay, setting, and story are great. Also there's a massive amount of content.

:yeah:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

HungryHungryHobo posted:

I feel like I'm starting to go through games quickly not because I am beating them but because I usually find some small issue with a game that I can't get over and I just move on to the next one. I think I've entered the grumpy old man yells at cloud phase.

If you're trying to cut down a big backlog this is a valuable trait to have.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

there’s a dark event that hides some faceless amongst the random civilians in every mission instead of only in terror missions. but in non-terror missions, there seems to be no penalty for civilians dying. this means the optimal play anytime you launch a grenade at an enemy is to try to catch as many extra civilians in the blast as possible in case there’s a faceless in there. The speaker is right, XCOM are terrorists

I've done that in a campaign where I had like 40% rate of Grenadiers in my forces and I have no regrets from turning every city into craters.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In XCOM 2, I get that you should put your power generators over conduits, but if one isn't handy, is it okay to make a temp generator so I can at least keep building stuff?

Also, when do resistance order slots unlock for the other factions? I mean I get that rep is built up with certain covert action quests and I want to start one of them, but there is an engineer available, and I really want them.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Unlucky7 posted:

In XCOM 2, I get that you should put your power generators over conduits, but if one isn't handy, is it okay to make a temp generator so I can at least keep building stuff?

Yeah it's fine. You can put a power-hungry building on the conduit for a similar bonus.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, when do resistance order slots unlock for the other factions? I mean I get that rep is built up with certain covert action quests and I want to start one of them, but there is an engineer available, and I really want them.

Yeah that's fine. It's actually more optimal to spend a power conduit slot on the Psionics Lab, since it's so power hungry you get more effective power out of putting it there.

You unlock a new Resistance Order slot every time you do a Hunt the Chosen covert action for that faction.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ah, so basically it gives that power bonus no matter what, it is just a matter of the building it is on is wasting it or not. I think I get it.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

You could plop down a temporary generator sure, or if you already have a generator you can man it with an Engineer to add some capacity. There’s also sometimes scanning sites that will add some capacity when you complete them.

Resistance order slots unlock as you complete the Hunt the Chosen Part 1/2/3 actions for each faction. Those are available at all times, so I’d say go after the engineer and start a Hunt the Chosen action when that’s done.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I appreciate everyones answers, really, but I wonder: is it bad form to ask for gameplay tips for certain games in the steam thread, rather than the games own thread? I am beginning to wonder if I should take my questions to the XCOM thread.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Unlucky7 posted:

I appreciate everyones answers, really, but I wonder: is it bad form to ask for gameplay tips for certain games in the steam thread, rather than the games own thread? I am beginning to wonder if I should take my questions to the XCOM thread.

Nah, I do that all the time for games with no dedicated thread or games where the thread is dead/inactive. However, if the game has an active thread, you're probably better off posting there first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you must post a new thread for each question

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unlucky7 posted:

[i am not a games mod]

I'm cool with seeing questions and such in here for any game, but if you're gonna start getting into discussion please take it to the dedicated thread. I was thinking about actually asking for a "hey can y'all move to the xcom thread" earlier, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga has a serious continuity error: some things are not made of lego, how is that even possible come the freak on devs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Very insightful stuff

https://twitter.com/crowsx3/status/1511719129157443592

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How grognard-y is Panzer Corps? Somehow it stayed off my radar until now and it looks like very my thing, but I have a really weird and inconsistent tolerance for strategy and tactics jank.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

death stranding is so fuckin weird

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does Hideo Kojima know his games are parody?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hwurmp posted:

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga has a serious continuity error: some things are not made of lego, how is that even possible come the freak on devs

Watching speedrun tech for it develop in real time is a kickass comedy though. https://twitter.com/RedOrbFragment/status/1511507554425208833

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Omi no Kami posted:

How grognard-y is Panzer Corps? Somehow it stayed off my radar until now and it looks like very my thing, but I have a really weird and inconsistent tolerance for strategy and tactics jank.

Not very. It's fairly close to the old Panzer General games so it's far more accessible than most.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

secretly best girl posted:

Watching speedrun tech for it develop in real time is a kickass comedy though. https://twitter.com/RedOrbFragment/status/1511507554425208833

So can I kill younglings or not

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is this a lego game with good combat? Idgaf about star wars but if there's poo poo like that i'm all in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1511809289127534593?s=21&t=9wHhBX0iKIFfjcc_GQpnJA

Remedy doing a Max Payne remake

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exciting!

hopefully better as Alan Wake. Would be amazing if they're using their inhouse engine for these remakes.

/e

yep. nice

pr posted:

using its proprietary Northlight game engine. The game’s development budget will be financed by Rockstar Games, the size of which will be in line with a typical Remedy AAA-game production.

also lol their site gives 502 now for the press release
https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1511812348201385986?s=20&t=0CFffMX2MW33SJxkuQnclw

haldolium fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 6, 2022

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

HungryHungryHobo posted:

Welcome to the grumpy old man stage of gaming :corsair: :hfive:

On a long enough timeline (which many of us old goons have exceeded), time will become your most valuable commodity when it comes to gaming - especially if you have kids. Games are so easily available now, and it's very easy to find good sales on new-ish games (Squeenix and UBIsoft games seem to go on sale 1-3 months after launch). Try to play games that you enjoy, and if a game just isn't doing it for you, move on to the next - even if people/goons are gushing about it.

I mostly play games for escapism, and that's been much more applicable the past ~5 years.

Now I wish I had the discipline to follow my own advice :smith:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

haldolium posted:

exciting!

hopefully better as Alan Wake. Would be amazing if they're using their inhouse engine for these remakes.

/e

yep. nice

also lol their site gives 502 now for the press release
https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1511812348201385986?s=20&t=0CFffMX2MW33SJxkuQnclw

Well I’m not going to say no.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

I've played 30 minutes of Crystal Project and the starting area had 5 slime combats (which is completely expected for this type of game) and 5 chests scattered around the area which required platforming with a camera that hid your character pretty often and bad controls and to get (which is not). The way my brain works, I need those chests, no matter how disappointing the contents are.

Does the game keep on doing that? That's not exploration, that's a waste of time.

The entire world is so jam-packed full of little chests and there's so much verticality and random backtracking when you find a way to get one elevation tier higher that you pretty much end up stumbling your way across all of them eventually, and they're rarely hidden with camera tricks (except for in cases where standing somewhere that you'll be later will give you the correct perspective to see it). But the density you're experiencing there is pretty unique to the start of the game.

On one hand I would say that a feeling of needing the chests means you will love this game because that starting room's feeling is not indicative of the rest of the game and it scratches my "holy poo poo how do I get to that?" itch so hard, but on the other hand by the time you reach the capital everything is so wide-open and designed in cleverly interlocking ways that you will see tons of chests that you won't be able to reach until much later, sometimes even multiple areas further into the game. So you would have to learn to just run past chests you don't see an obvious way to and trust yourself to stumble back upon it later from a different angle.

Also this game owns, it scratches my RPG itches so hard :hellyeah: I finally got the Quintar Whistle and that has allowed me to go backtracking and reach a lot of the chests I couldn't before - like 8+ hours into the game. Octopath Traveler combat and visual style, FFT job system, and a game that rewards the hell out of being an ADHD nerd who bunnyhops through games and tries jumping on all the terrain. It's like it was made for me.

The main thing I will say about its exploration for anyone diving into it is: If there's a way to get on top of something, there's almost always a reward for being on top of it. I don't mean there's a chest on top of everything, but getting on top of some random tree will often allow you to hop across the tops of other trees and reach a platform that has loot and can be used to reach even more areas of the map. Use random scenery doodads to get up onto trees and then see where you can get from the top of the trees, etc. There is never a time in this game where you can execute a jump and then it doesn't lead to a reward of some kind. It really, really rewards that kind of "let's see if I can clip my way up this mountain with precise jumps" type of exploration.

e: I am not at all exaggerating by saying this game's world is laid out, interwoven, and physically tangible in a way that reminds me of Dark Souls 1 in all the best ways, and then it goes on to basically build an entire game around that exact concept.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 6, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Crystal Project gets better past the demo when you get access to even more jobs and traversal options. The demo is the first 8-15 hours of game, which is only 20% of the game according to the dev. The writing is :raise: and bad throughout, but the audience is probably playing this for the combat and exploration.

Late game balancing and the low level cap (60) are some of the concerns I've been seeing on their discord and steam forums so hopefully the dev does another pass eventually.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i hope remedy aren't spreading themselves too thin, they have 5 upcoming projects now

alan wake 2
control sequel
control MP spin-off
max payne 1+2 remakes
vanguard (F2P PvE game for tencent)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Morter posted:

Is this a lego game with good combat? Idgaf about star wars but if there's poo poo like that i'm all in.

https://twitter.com/Revolthell/status/1511748812183945228?t=ejGn23wivxojkxtv7DqykQ&s=19

Yeah kinda. They even managed to make Jar Jar look cool.

https://twitter.com/RedOrbFragment/status/1511450060998918146?t=ZHBJzf77b2sActWP9bwdHw&s=19

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gyoru posted:

The writing is :raise: and bad throughout, but the audience is probably playing this for the combat and exploration.

I hate that I feel that I need to ask about this, as this could mean anything from "Not particularly memorable" to "Uncomfortably horny" to "And now, the writer's unsolicited opinions on how the Jan 6th insurrection was Antifas fault, somehow" these days.

I hate it here. :(

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I hate that I feel that I need to ask about this, as this could mean anything from "Not particularly memorable" to "Uncomfortably horny" to "And now, the writer's unsolicited opinions on how the Jan 6th insurrection was Antifas fault, somehow" these days.

the first one thankfully

you have child NPCs saying "it's lit" in the main hub city

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Does Hideo Kojima know his games are parody?

absolutely not

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

It's just pretty bland generally. The edgiest thing I remember is a character named "Dr. Cool Aids" but the game is doing a fake MMO world thing so it's not completely out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phoix posted:

It's just pretty bland generally. The edgiest thing I remember is a character named "Dr. Cool Aids" but the game is doing a fake MMO world thing so it's not completely out of place.

Mods, namechange plz