Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Mathbot is kind of really breezy even at minimum ilvl if everybody gets the buffs for correct numbers and doesn't get obliterated by the spin.
I can probably count on one hand the number of times that's happened for my runs since launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Getting the numbers wrong should kill you, it'd be a lot funnier.

Unfortunately that whole raid is stained by the last boss, it's always a huge slog

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mathbot should be more math and less other things

Like, I hate when a boss has a fun gimmick or mechanic I want to learn, but then it comes up like twice in the fight and then it just repeats some other annoying mechanic over and over until the end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rynoto posted:

Mathbot is just a dumb gotcha boss and a boring waste of time after realizing/being told the gimmick.

someone is mad 1 isn't prime

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mathbot is like the one Ivalice raid boss I can actually handle, so I am obliged to defend his honor

And yeah, he's nothing compared to Sir Ten Trillion HP at the end of that raid anyway. That would be a great boss fight if the dude just had... like, two-thirds of his HP?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mathbot is great, Spinbot on the other hand can gently caress off

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Thundarr posted:

Somehow every npc that uses Plus can galaxy brain their way into a final play Plus cascade to come from behind and win and I'm a little salty that I've never been able to gain that power for myself!

All NPC’s generally react a very specific way to how you throw down your cards. If you play them a bunch you’ll eventually start to see patterns where you can win a majority of the time by forcing them into bad plays or being able to setup your own plus cascade win.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Chillgamesh posted:

Mathbot is great, Spinbot on the other hand can gently caress off

I still think they should make a Mathbot G.A.T.E. at the saucer but give it some different functions on top of the usual mechanics. Like stepping on the number pads gives you a permanent amount of HP and you have to reach a certain total within the time limit without going over or something.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Bozja mathbot with forced march on top of the math mechanic is great.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Around the time endwalker came out they released an xivplugin for triple triad that suggests moves, it is extremely better at seeing plus/same combos than at least I am. Fear not, it is disabled in the hallowed realm of triple triad pvp

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Hyper Inferno posted:

Bozja mathbot is the superior mathbot indeed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HackensackBackpack posted:

I still think they should make a Mathbot G.A.T.E. at the saucer but give it some different functions on top of the usual mechanics. Like stepping on the number pads gives you a permanent amount of HP and you have to reach a certain total within the time limit without going over or something.

GATE mathbot makes you find gaussian primes with your MP as the imaginary component

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

cheetah7071 posted:

GATE mathbot makes you find gaussian primes with your MP as the imaginary component

If a chocobo leaves Ul'Dah travelling at 10 malms per bell, while a second chocobo leaves Gridania travelling at 15 malms per bell...

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Every boss should have a .01% chance that mathbot spawns and demands you do math.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Getting the numbers wrong should kill you, it'd be a lot funnier.

Unfortunately that whole raid is stained by the last boss, it's always a huge slog

Forces you to log out and opens a link to a 5th grade math lesson.

Makes you solve a worksheet before allowing you back in.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Hyper Inferno posted:

Great for getting rez achievements.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Every member of the raid needs to place themselves at the correct location on an arena-scale integer table at a position determined by the product of their HP and that of a tethered ally

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lotta number nerds itt like seeing math stupid people like me die :(

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hyper Inferno posted:

That rules but what sucks is the endless spinning afterwards

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zomborgon posted:

Every member of the raid needs to place themselves at the correct location on an arena-scale integer table at a position determined by the product of their HP and that of a tethered ally

you and the person you're tethered to both need to stand on the number which is either the gcd or lcm of your values, depending on which castbar the boss did

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

cheetah7071 posted:

You clear it with flying colors and then Mathbot laughs and says it’s time for the FINAL test…

And then the legendary lost TP bar reappears.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

That rules but what sucks is the endless spinning afterwards

the endless spinning is the punishment for everyone but the bloodsucker tanks failing the earlier mechanics and taking a dirt nap

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rynoto posted:

Mathbot is just a dumb gotcha boss and a boring waste of time after realizing/being told the gimmick.

This is true of basically every non extreme or up fight if you're this reductive.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TopHatGenius posted:

Bozja mathbot is the superior mathbot indeed.

he doesn't do enough math! he just spams spin after a little math, it's bullshit!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fess up. Who is creating an alt named Smash Mouth for hatchingtide?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Going by the lodestone there are already 21 worlds where that name is taken

Also several of "Allstar Smashmouth"

And of course

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/22384706/

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Zomborgon posted:

Going by the lodestone there are already 21 worlds where that name is taken

Also several of "Allstar Smashmouth"

And of course

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/22384706/

His dream has come true

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alternately, where's my Qitari glam outfit so I can stand around in Limsa eating eggs and yelling "splendid!" at people?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Lotta number nerds itt like seeing math stupid people like me die :(

:unsmigghh:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I need to find real world applications for math somewhere and video games are a good choice.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I finally remembered to ask this, what happened with treasure maps since Endwalker? Gliderskin maps are like 45k, but the level 90 ones are like 14k. Why are the Shadowbringers solo maps so expensive now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Moose posted:

I finally remembered to ask this, what happened with treasure maps since Endwalker? Gliderskin maps are like 45k, but the level 90 ones are like 14k. Why are the Shadowbringers solo maps so expensive now?

There is more demand for the older stuff while the newer stuff has been fairly mined dry but this point since there's a smaller loot pool. They'll pick up once the next set of items is added.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's no good glams with the endwalker map mats, but the shadowbringers ones, even solo, still have good choices.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's no good glams with the endwalker map mats, but the shadowbringers ones, even solo, still have good choices.

I couldn't disagree more, the Cape of Happiness is my current favorite glam item. It goes absurdly well with the collegiate skirt.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wish the tunic on the cape of happiness didn’t dye. It ends up looking kinda dingy with most dyes.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Kazy posted:

Quick! You have a buff of a certain color, stand in the correct order to match a resistor of the correct value!

Nobody actually uses through hole anymore, most resistors are 0201 that are almost impossible to manipulate by hand, bigger packages are only if you need a higher power rating, or want to simplify your BOM and have space available, anything smaller than 0603 doesn't have codes printed anyways.

Gameplay analog would be having content that's only doable in a reasonable manner with tool assistance, so house decorating (savage) I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every once in a while when in a group fighting I'll hear an odd sound, https://onlinesequencer.net/2695104 that doesn't feel common/regular enough to be someone's ability, and oddly pierces through all the other sound effects/music. Anyone happen to recognize it?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Bruceski posted:

Every once in a while when in a group fighting I'll hear an odd sound, https://onlinesequencer.net/2695104 that doesn't feel common/regular enough to be someone's ability, and oddly pierces through all the other sound effects/music. Anyone happen to recognize it?

Hard to tell, but is it the "resource ability available" sound? It plays on jobs like WAR and MCH when your job resource bar hits 50 and you can use the associated action. It's a rising swoosh-type sound that can be hard to associate with an action since it plays a while after whatever random GCD made the meter half full, but it's a quick glide and not 3 held, distinct notes.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Bruceski posted:

is it the sound for dragoon hitting (i think?) chaos spring?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SgFvRNjlWI&t=495s (it's around 9:12 in this video)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My first guess would be the sound when you get a bar of Limit Break.