Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I use the small steel mill, small coal plant, and small refinery mods for my cosmonaut starts. This typically lets me supply them on non-optimum resource deposits that are close together so I don't need to be shipping stuff across the map early on. When I'm self sufficient, I build the large versions and cities supporting them closer to the rich deposits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
3Division made a special blog post about the invasion of Ukraine, which makes sense given the subject matter of the game.

TL;DR, they want to make a special DLC to support Ukraine, one of the devs has already been volunteering on the Slovak/Ukraine border to help refugees, and they're giving up some free space in their office to the Red Cross to help house people. :unsmith:

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/special-announcement-war-in-ukraine

quote:

Special Announcement (War in Ukraine)

Greetings dear Comrades of the Soviet Republic. It is sad that we have to say that times of peace in Europe are over because Russia invaded a sovereign European country and now people are suffering due to ongoing war just behind our borders. We see this as an act of aggression against peaceful nation and people of Ukraine. Our hearts were moved, and we want to find a way how to help people in Ukraine who are bearing the consequences of violence in their lives.

We want to tell and emphasize that the our small core team at 3DIVISION is right now based in Slovakia, which is a member country of European Union and NATO. Slovakia share border with our NATO allies Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland, then neutral Austia, and lastly with Ukraine which is now in war with Russian Armed Forces. We are all safe, for now, if nothing crazier happens. We are also cooperating with people from all around the world who help us with some content, testing and managing of the community and some of them may be Russians or Ukrainians. No doubt, that Russian people did not wanted this war and we hope this war will end ASAP.

Ukrainian DLC

But the damage is already done and people behind our border are suffering so we decided to find a way to help them. We want to make a special Ukraine Theme DLC, which will contains assets from Ukraine. These may be buildings, vehicles, or other stuff. We are cooperating with our modder community because they can contribute and create graphical content that will be suitable to remind us about greatness of Ukraine's history and their people. The main idea behind is that the whole revenue from this DLC will be donated to those who are in need. We are in the earliest stage of creation of this DLC, and we did not decide yet where the financial help will go, but we will inform you further about the development regarding this. We hope this way we can together with you contribute in help to our eastern neighbor. We also want this DLC to be free for all Ukrainians if we find a way how to do it. Besides that, more content may be added later as we will try to release it as soon as possible.

We trying to help practically

Our offices are right now located in family house in the city of Košice. We decided to sign the empty rooms for the Red Cross, and first 4 people were accommodated, with options for more come as we free up additional space. We will support those people, buy food for them and take care about their accommodation. Also Peter joined for one day as volunteer at Slovak / Ukraine border and helped to serve hot drinks (coffee/tea) and other refreshments for people who have just crossed the border and saw how many mothers with small kids, are just running away from the country and are exposed to bad weather. Situation is terrible and bad, and everyone who believe that this is not so serious, should just visit the border to see the people or talk to them.

About the game theme

This game’s theme is inspired in Soviet past and the Republic we created in game is situated in between NATO and Soviet Union, just as Czechoslovakia or some other middle European country were in the past. You as a player is free to trade with both sides and you can be independent if you manage so.

There is no military in the game right now and many players like that the game is peaceful and economy oriented. You can get some vehicles or structures that have military character as mods but those will only serve as showcase of the greatness of your Republic and will not have any destructive character. Our hope is that we have taken something from the past that made sense from game's perspective and made it into a game where you can play and have fun, but in real life things are different. The real world is not that simple and not that peaceful as our game is.

Last words

The game is created to provide entertainment and it is not a manifestation of political beliefs and worldview of the development team. We never wanted to serve any political views to players, however all people should realize the war is just a very bad thing whatever your political views are because any politics which causes or excuses war is just bad politics due to bloodshed of innocent people..

There are always ways to resolve issues in a peaceful way, but this has turned into meaningless bloodshed. There are lies and propaganda spreading through internet and everybody needs to be careful not to get carried away in joining this war on the wrong side. This is one of the way, how this whole violence end soon and not grow out of control.

There will be no report this weekend as we had to adjust to current situation. Good news are that we made the water sewage update available for few of our testers so we can do some pre-internal testing now an fix critical bugs before releasing if for internal test. Take care and stay tuned for further information.

Thank You for your Support

3Divison Team

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any recent written guides for the game? sometimes youtube is a little hard to slog through when some of these are hour long videos of an entire series. I'm getting a better handle of this game but I still haven't even touched electricity yet because just figuring out factory connections is a doozy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think electricity has changed much in a while, other than the addition of the wind and solar generators and the visualization aids for the electrical grid, also buried cables so actually wiring the place is easier.

Basically your power station will usually output high voltage, which needs to be stepped down to medium voltage using a transformer, then the medium voltage is sent to substations which beam it to nearby buildings. Generally therefore you want a transformer branching off the main high voltage trunk line, a bunch of MV connections going out to from it to substations around your town, and then you need to hook it up to either a generator or an outside power connection.

The actual way power flows through the system is... frankly not something I fully understand but generally I think you want to avoid mixing and matching too many inputs and consumers? Try to just connect one power station to as much stuff as it can supply and sell excess out the edge of the map, then make a new network for a new power station or at least run independent HV lines out of your one big power station to each area, power lines cannot generally handle more than 1 power generator's output I think so it's probably gonna behave weirdly if you try to have one big power line running through your whole republic.

Oh also wind turbines are fiddly to set up as dedicated wind farms, because they need to be connected backwards into the grid and the grid doesn't handle variable loads very well, but they work great as suppleementary sources for industrial sites, operating just on their built-in substation functionality where they will power anything near them. Great for oil fields or remote facilities like highway gas stations and technical services, and you can slap them in among factories or even cities as they produce no pollution and require no workers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Electricity is very simple if you can afford the highest tier transmission lines for your MV network or even your HV network. Although high tier HV looks very audacious so there's an aesthetic "afford" at play in this calculation. It's just a simple tree/tendril branching at transformers and switches. As mentioned don't cross the streams. If you stick to the best tier of everything while you start, you can iteratively build outward from your power source and use the overview and building readouts to check how you're doing as your power tendril creeps across the map.

My rules of thumb for aesthetic as much as efficiency in MV is to start a trunk of the high tier off your power plant or HV->MV transformer. You can step down i.e. run mid tier MV lines after (really wracking my brain here so apologies if inaccurate) usually 3-5 average substations or 2 really well utilized industrial substation. You should always step down from highest tier MV lines at the switch to a substation, I don't think the substation is meant to run any more power than comes out of the mid tier line.

Figuring out which lines to use could actually be really easy if they more consistently used energy or power instead of randomly switching from both in the UI. I keep meaning to spreadsheet it but honestly just trying to stick to a "normal" network aesthetically works for 95% of the cases. And yeah, also a realization that renewables are for remote power supply because there isn't really a concept of shifting loads because of that crossing the stream problem.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Unless you were trying to power something all the way across the map, it seems like just running a power line out there was still cheaper on the whole than placing a wind turbine. The cheapest MV line sent to a power substation and a MV switch would be cheaper for something with truly minimal power needs than building a wind turbine, and those oil fields need to be pumping At All Times, not just when it's windy, so wind won't work there either.

I personally never found a scenario where they actually made sense vs running more lines, even if I had to import the power.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

buglord posted:

Are there any recent written guides for the game? sometimes youtube is a little hard to slog through when some of these are hour long videos of an entire series. I'm getting a better handle of this game but I still haven't even touched electricity yet because just figuring out factory connections is a doozy.

Yeah I’d like to read something too. All the YouTube videos also seem to tell the what but not the why like “oh I always place this this and this” ok cool but why? Tell me the mechanics!

I can sort of start to get most of it myself by playing it on the easiest difficulty and slowly starting to add complexity with each failure but it would be nice to read a real in depth guide or lp that goes deep on the simulation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Unless you were trying to power something all the way across the map, it seems like just running a power line out there was still cheaper on the whole than placing a wind turbine. The cheapest MV line sent to a power substation and a MV switch would be cheaper for something with truly minimal power needs than building a wind turbine, and those oil fields need to be pumping At All Times, not just when it's windy, so wind won't work there either.

I personally never found a scenario where they actually made sense vs running more lines, even if I had to import the power.

Oh yeah sorry basic MV lines are certainly cheaper, the main reason I don't do that is because I usually want all my MV connections for my city and also it is tidier, I think, to build a little wind turbine than to run power lines all over the place :v:

For oil fields it can certainly help to have a more constant backup, but they are an ideal use case for capturing the output of wind turbines because you can't build anything else in the oil field because the derricks get in the way and pollute, so you can throw in some wind turbines to make use of the spare space and they will just power the derricks when they are running, otherwise you can use a grid fallback.

Also a specific benefit is that I had a map with an oil field on an island that is too far away to connect via power lines, so either I had to build a power plant on the island and sort out connections, or I built wind turbines which meant the entire island could be completely unstaffed and covered for fire by a helicopter base on the mainland.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 13, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, in a game with this complexity there is cognitive load and aesthetics driving your choice. If you want a power line going to a remote outpost you need to identify where to tie it into the current power lines and then identify a pleasing utility corridor.

Point to point random power lines is incredibly non ideal aesthetically even beside the times you now have a powerline built over your next ideal highway spot or god forbid a raw material concentration.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks all but actually I was kinda wondering about how factory lines and deliveries work in general lol. What I meant to imply was that im still so bad at that, that I have electricity disabled because it would be too much cognitive load.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Factories take inputs either from trucks parking in them, or from a cargo station directly conneced by the yellow and black factory roads, or from conveyor belts, and convert them using workforce into outputs, which can also be picked up or accessed by trucks or cargo stations.

That's about it, really. Make sure the factory has the goods in stock to produce things and then you can take the products out and do what you like with them, sell them at the border, send them to another factory, up to you.

If you want, feel free to post a factory you're building and we can give you some pointers if you want.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Short of Glorious Multi Manufactory Central Warehousing Districts, connections are made to plumb into the relevant storage and/or cargo station. Ex. factory connections to Road Cargo stations and warehouses, aggregate conveyor connections to aggregate unloading and/or loading stations and aggregate yards.

Most production buildings can manage small deliveries directly to the building itself but its slow to unload without the correct station.

You can use storages and warehouses in between to build a fat leg in your logistics.

Think of it like a modular factory building system. The building that calls itself the factory or producer is the value add step. You also have logistics value adds that can be added by using the appropriate storage and logistic buildings to enable storage of inputs or outputs and making loading and unloading proceed faster and with less traffic jams.

Where Tropico might have you drop a building down and the production and logistics Just Work, this game is about building your own little production cells of exactly the capacity you want. Want to have a grain silo fill up from farm trucks and load directly into the vodka plant? Go for it. Want to load farm trucks into trains and use trains as a bit of storage? Great, it can route to glorious multi-vodka plant facility. Want to conveyor rocks 16 km from the mountain to a road works without a truck in between? I wouldn't recommend it but nothing will stop you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Factory connections also only require forklifts if you have an intersection placed, otherwise they can draw directly from the other building. This means that truck cargo stations attached via factory connection will effectively load to and from the connected buildings without anything in-between.

Aggregates (gravel, coal, etc, things you use a dump truck for) use conveyors for transfer; you'll use direct conveyor connections or conveyor towers as intermediaries (and what a pain in the rear end placement for them is!).

Liquids (oil, etc) use pipes, pumping stations, and fuel tanks. Steam heat is a special case for heating plants, but generally follows the same ideas.

Aggregates and liquids are directional and only go one way. Factory connections can go both ways.

Let's say you have a chemical plant, which (iirc) takes wood, crops, oil, and gravel, and outputs chemicals (as barrels transported by factory connection or covered truck). The plant has two (iirc) factory connections, one aggregate input, and one liquid input. We can assume you are getting workers via a bus stop outside instead of a direct connection, or some other walking mechanism.

There's a couple of ways to build this. First, you can just manually direct trucks to drop their contents off there, and direct them to pick up. The biggest problem is that you only have so many parking spaces, and the loading / unloading is inefficient. If you tell trucks to wait until fully loaded / unloaded, you may starve yourself from trucks waiting forever.

The second option is to build unloading points connected to it. One fuel unloading, one aggregate unloading, one truck stop. You can tell all of your trucks to wait now, but you're likely being extremely wasteful. You've dedicated trucks to this, and also spent to build loading and unloading points only for this building. Your trucks are now the de facto storage containers.

The third option is to build a distribution center, assign the trucks to it, and hook it up to both the inputs and outputs. This is good as a relatively cheap way to handle this, but your trucks are still likely to go at the wrong times, leading to delays from buffers remaining either full or empty.

The fourth option expands on option two. You can build a warehouse, aggregate storage, oil tank, and open loading storage. Your trucks can unload and load directly from/to storage points. You will likely not have to worry about buffering, but the storage buildings are expensive. If you have more than two trucks, you may still deadlock in the warehouse, along with the very slow load and unload times. You may want to attach a truck loading point to the warehouse.

Well, this is a lot of up front costs for one chemical plant, why not just add a few more? Now you have to worry about laying out a number of connections. The pipes can mostly go either underground or otherwise around buildings, turn radius permitting. The aggregate conveyors are finicky AT BEST, so you'll probably want to do them next with enough room for conveyor routes beneath (you actually might want to lay out the conveyors first, then verify the factory connectors). Last is the factory connectors. You won't be able to hook everything up to each other, so you'll need to use factory intersections and forklifts. Forklifts are neat but only carry so much, and require fueling, so you may need a few. You also have to tell them where to go. Factory connections only extend so far and only go from A to B, so you'll need to use factory intersections to bridge that gap. However, once you've set everything up, you've made a petro complex which mostly balances out the costs from storage / loading / unloading, although the costs for the conveyor towers is absolutely ruinous for what you actually need (so maybe an agg storage nearby, a few dump trucks, and a distro office instead?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Factory connections, specifically, have a little bit of weird behavior (if you're specifically talking about the yellow arrow roads.) Without having any forklifts - which generally you don't need nor want, they're not very useful beyond niche applications - two buildings will more or less 'equalize' storage when connected by a factory connection, but this cannot travel any further than one connection. The source of that good could be somewhere a truck or train is dropping off that good at a factory or storage. Say, for example, grain to food. You will probably have a truck dump grain in a silo next to the food factory. The food factory and silo will sort of 'share' the grain storage. For all intents and purposes, this is fine. Sometimes it seems like the food factory is starving itself on the input, but its just because its only ever drawing what it needs from the silo. The food factory then makes food, which it can shovel into a warehouse attached by one factory connection. You can send a truck here to pick it up, or you could connect a road cargo station or cargo train station and pick up the food from there, as again, the cargo station is just one hop from where the food is starting.

One problem you can have is trying to daisy chain things together. You can't connect the grain to the food factory, and then the food factory to a distillery. The distillery cannot "reach" that grain. For these purposes, if you use the factory connection intersection, it counts as a step. (Basically, if you have these in your chain, you *need* forklifts, which can get things where they need to go not unlike distribution centers but just limited to their special roads.)

The other issue is just geometry, really. Stock buildings have limited factory connections and it can be weird to connect everything with these without using forklifts since they can actually allow the connections to go longer and use intersections. Forklifts are maligned mostly because they have really poo poo throughput. They have (admittedly, still limited) advantages in not using a factory's vehicle stations and are totally fine for things that you don't need to move in large amounts - chemicals, fabric/clothes, etc. With that said, you are still probably better off just sending a truck to run that same route the forklift would.

A quick note on road cargo stations: They're very useful for really high throughput needs, particularly crops. Once you get a huge farm going and have hundreds and hundreds of tons of crops coming in all at the same time, you want to make sure your trucks can offload easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-46

peep that new road tool

also...

quote:

Another thing to mention is that there will be a new option to use grid snapping during planning process. That means you will be able to place infrastructure and buildings exactly according to the grid precisely.

they only went and did it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-46

peep that new road tool

also...

they only went and did it

:vince:

I am extremely here for this change, holy moly, but this is the sound of angelic trumpets for ASA.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Game also continues being the best piecemeal industry assembling simulator with the explanation of potable, clean non potable, industry waste, and terlet waste connections. Excited to clean my terlet water and drop the chemical waste in the river near the border.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

This update looks fantastic. I can't wait to try out grid-snapping, it was always such a pain to figure out if long straight stretches of road or rail were aligned properly or not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really hoping they can integrate some of the decorative piece mods with the grid snapping, would make placing the terraces and quayside blocks much easier.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

:vince:

I am extremely here for this change, holy moly, but this is the sound of angelic trumpets for ASA.

I could cry. This is going to save me hours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm actually wondering how it's going to affect me, cos it's interesting how the lack of a grid has caused me to be better about following terrain features. I wonder if it is going to make me more inclined to impose the iron boot of geometry upon nature.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve restarted a save multiple times working on a terraced city in the same spot to find the best way to keep it “natural” looking with elevation while still not wasting tons of space where possible.

I should probably go dig up some screenshots since I’ll inevitably be restarting it again when I need to do it with dang water and sewage, now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm definitely going to end up just going capability brown red all over the place I think.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm a little sad that I'm probably dumping this one, because I ended up fairly happy with this city. I hate sharing it, because I didn't get to "finish" it with bushes, trees, and all the finer details all over, but the initial 'stage' of it was functionally complete, just needing a good cosmetic pass before I moved onto the next 'stage' of building it.

With a little more effort I could make these tiered apartments kind of nice and even, but admittedly, I laid out this neighborhood a little tipsy on a friday.

There's weird things like trying to work out a "highway exit where one side is at the higher terrace and one side is at the lower tier." The fact that I tied in a tramway in the middle of the avenue road is complicating as well.

I had grand plans to make these into nicely appointed plazas with planters and trees and kiosks, benches, what have you, but again, I think I'm dumping this save until the next patch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ASA: "ugh this is so gross I have to just stop, here's some pictures to see why"
ASA pictures: utterly beautiful, gorgeously laid out landscapes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nice groynes

(i know it isn't a groyne because it's the wrong direction but I don't get to say that word very often)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

ASA: "ugh this is so gross I have to just stop, here's some pictures to see why"
ASA pictures: utterly beautiful, gorgeously laid out landscapes

A crippling inferiority complex surrounding my ability to making things aesthetically pleasing is a powerful aid and a crucial part of my creative process.

OwlFancier posted:

nice groynes

(i know it isn't a groyne because it's the wrong direction but I don't get to say that word very often)

I didn’t know this word, neat. Funny enough, despite those breakwaters being a totally collision-less ploppable, ships actively avoid them and use the channel appropriately with no extra waypoints needed.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I've been thinking about microdistricts while waiting for the new patch.

The map is 16x16km, and there are three basic categories of distance on it:
250m~500m
* Final power delivery - the most restrictive at around 250m
* Final heat delivery
* Foot travel including kindergarten

~2km
* Bus transit, and the longest really viable for other services (shopping, fire/police, school/uni, heat pumping gets squirrely outside this)
* General JIT delivery

~5km
* Rail transit
* Road stockpile filling

Districts should be tileable to limit wasted room, which means a choice between triangles, squares, and hexes; since buildings are by and large rectangular triangles waste a lot at the points, and while squares have zero corner waste they would have varying distances between adjacent districts' centerpoints, meaning the districts must be smaller, overlapping orthogonally and thus wasting significant space on duplicated infrastructure. (500m between center-1,3,7,9 and center-5 means only 354m between center-2,4,6,8 and center-5.) So hexes, squares are exceptionally ugly anyway and there is the literally taken raion in микрорайо́н.

So if grouped in 7, the basic residential microdistrict can be substation/heat exchanger/kindergarten/bus stop. The basic town core can be transformer and switches/substation/heating plant/coal storage and unloading/bus platform/rail station/school/uni/theater/sport/shop/pub/fire/police with housing in any spare space. The basic transit interface can be substation/HV wiring/construction office(s, I find it useful to split between staffing/highway/optional extra materials-only/framing/engineering)/construction storage and unloading/warehouses. In this, four microdistrict areas are left for either more residential space or dedication to an industry, two of which can directly border the transit interface and get in on the rail network for a terminal town. And the core can be in any tile of the seven without issues, especially as lower-density housing is replaced with higher-density opening room for more local services within each residential microdistrict. Or have transit+industry on two sides of an intermediary town and then put construction/warehousing in one of the three microdistrict spaces remaining after these, core, and at least one resi.
Because the core taking bus traffic and doing JIT delivery can actually support 19-microdistrict or even 37-microdistrict groupings without major transit issues, this leaves leeway to either do very dense cities or conversely to scatter rural villages more organically, skipping around mountains or water.

E: Because heating is ~350m and walking is 400m (though constricted by roads and paths rather than as the crow flies), you get heating and services on any industrial hex face bordering a residential, too, if you want to have baseline staffing that can walk to a given plant even in snow/fuel/traffic catastrophies. Foot and road traffic don't seem to interact so the main RL reason for microdistricts, avoiding required pedestrian crossing of arterial roads, isn't there to interfere, but you can always put raised footbridges in for realism.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 26, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Aaaaa public test for the new patch is out aaaaaa

e: You can now achieve the biggest, wettest communism. Traffic. Gridsnapping. Road angle tools. aaaaa

Poop seems like its going to be a nightmare.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 6, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Comrades: gridsnapping.

Y'all are gonna have to put me on slow-mode for this thread over the next week, I swear.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Even more important than anything else in this patch is a subtle change to the 'selection' snapping of potential road-nodes, so you can actually start roads from the damned spot you want to instead of 10m weirdly offset because the road piece you're toying with is some weird length.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Y'all are gonna have to put me on slow-mode for this thread over the next week, I swear.

i'm glad for it. i won't have time to get a game in for a couple weeks so it's nice to see whats getting fixed and improved.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

i'm glad for it. i won't have time to get a game in for a couple weeks so it's nice to see whats getting fixed and improved.

For reference, the notes, though they've been covered in recent devblogs:

quote:

0.8.7.3 - PUBLIC TEST
Water management has been added
Various industry buildings now need water for production
Advanced traffic simulation has added added, where you can set main street or semaphores
Added waiting stations (or end stations) which can manage the lines spacing
Grid snapping has been added (with the wireframe mode)
Small detail about dumper animation and concrete mixer animation has been added (not all vehicles have this feature). Also there was added the rotation of wheels support
Improved cursor
tweaked animal farm production and slaughter house consumption
Logger now can take only wood or boards
Fixed problem with loading cabins from production line to cable way stations
Added button for batch change workplace of all vehicles inside building
Adjusted water division on pipelines from the water well
Fixed struck in the technical services due to water supply vehicles
Fixed problem that rail DO not saving the values about the length and min wagon amount causing DO not working
Fixed building editor issue with asphalt square and other small issue

If I get a chance I'll try to write up some more in-depth thoughts or details, because these are... Sparse, considering the multitude of changes I've seen.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Snapping is so big that I've been holding off on playing until it was released. Like seriously, probably half my time spent in this game previously was just trying to get stuff to line up correctly. This is a literal game changer.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Arven posted:

Snapping is so big that I've been holding off on playing until it was released. Like seriously, probably half my time spent in this game previously was just trying to get stuff to line up correctly. This is a literal game changer.

It's nonobvious, by the way, but you have to hit "F1" twice and you'll see a small lock icon on the grid checkbox in the bottom right of the screen. I couldn't figure out how to enable it for the longest time.

Also I have not played more than an hour of this patch to check it out, so it might be really rough. They've had some early Public Test patches before that *really* had some problems, so unless you're totally broke-brained by this game like I am, it may pay to wait a week or two for a more stable Public Test or even the full release.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Comrades: gridsnapping.

I need to make a :yeshaha: with a ushanka just for this thread

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So, just to give a full breakdown on this patch in more detail than they have:

0.8.7.3 - PUBLIC TEST
Water management has been added
Seems really cool, for me, at least. FWIW, it is 'tacked on' in many ways, but that kind of fits nicely with the difficulty settings being adjustable in game. It has a Twist with heights/pumping and some unique concerns so its not just 'another heating' and offers some extra ways to handle water/sewage with trucks and such. Fits the game and uses similar mechanics with just enough uniqueness to be interesting. It has storage, pumps, cleaning for both sewage and ostensibly 'clean' water. I assume the sewage treatment plant turns the 'sewage' resource into water, albeit heavily polluted, which can then potentially be totally treated? Sewage cannot easily be pumped uphill - and I mean that deeply. It seems like getting it uphill at all is a pretty significant pump battle.

Various industry buildings now need water for production
Whatever, sure, kind of included with above. FWIW I have only played 'sandbox' with stuff so far so I don't know the balance here. Maybe this is significant, maybe not. I could see Nukes being a big thing here? I'm glad its integrated, though. It feels like these industries will probably be able to be served by trucks?

Advanced traffic simulation has added added, where you can set main street or semaphores
Huge. Being able to do Cities:Skylines Traffic President (or whatever the mod is called) stuff with intersections and set priority roads, ban certain types of traffic, etc, is huge. It'll really enable a lot more poo poo and, importantly, car-driveable cities. You can actually segregate traffic in a meaningful way that you won't choke everything critical with personal cars (if you're careful) and thus can probably really give your citizens the private vehicles they so desire, the dirty individualists. Lots of signage for restricted speeds, overtaking, vehicle types, priority roads. Signs vs traffic lights... Lots of things, haven't fully explored it, but definitely cool.

This seems... Minor? As far as I can tell the function here is that vehicles can use a depot as a stop and it functions as a buffer, so instead of slowing down to make appropriate spacing, they'll queue at the depot and launch at the correct time...? I'm going to have to toy with this to understand why this change is significant, really. The slowdowns can be a little choking, sure, but in a generally stabilized route, I don't see a lot of utility here. Maybe I don't understand the use case or need to explore more to figure out how to exploit it.

Grid snapping has been added (with the wireframe mode)
The absolute hero. I was prepared to be worried about this, but I think it works really well. I don't know *why* I assumed the grid would be anything but what it is, but its granular enough that you won't have any trouble making nice grids. If you want to use like, Robs074's snapping buildings, sorry - they still don't snap nicely on the grid, but they are at least 'close' if you don't mind small gaps. (With any luck, maybe he'll update their placement/size!) I haven't played with it deeply, but it works for everything, I think? Don't use it for roundabouts. The new road angle tool is honestly a little disappointing, on that note, but still very helpful in many ways. Being able to even stuff up is going to be SO much easier.

Small detail about dumper animation and concrete mixer animation has been added (not all vehicles have this feature). Also there was added the rotation of wheels support
...Cool! I shouldn't get down on it, but while neat, its just a nice visual thing, I guess.

Improved cursor
I'm going to list my secret favorite feature under this, though it might belong more to the road or grid snap changes. Say you have a long, straight road that connects to a factory. Say you want to split off a T intersection right next to the factory, but you find you can only 'snap' click to the road a weird 'buffered' distance from the factory entrance. That's fixed! (Another example of this is when you have a long main road/avenue drawn and try to split it with a side road from a block, and for whatever reason, the road refuses to connect right at a 90 degree angle, because the snap points are on either side of where it wants to be.) Now roads have seemingly 2x the snap points and don't have weird built in 'buffer' zones between intersection nodes. There may still be limitations here - I haven't played with it a ton - but this will make so many weird, tight connections WAY easier. I love it. Oh, the new cursor is good too. Relatively minor but definitely nicer.

Added button for batch change workplace of all vehicles inside building
Maybe it doesn't matter for you, but once you get into "Buy all the vehicles at the port of your island/border crossing like you've just imported them and then rehome them to a workplace" and "instead of selling here and buying new there, rehome the vehicles" style plays, this is huge too. So many clicks saved.

tweaked animal farm production and slaughter house consumption
Logger now can take only wood or boards
Fixed problem with loading cabins from production line to cable way stations
Adjusted water division on pipelines from the water well
Fixed struck in the technical services due to water supply vehicles
Fixed problem that rail DO not saving the values about the length and min wagon amount causing DO not working
Fixed building editor issue with asphalt square and other small issue

What, sure, fine

I'm super pumped and about to spend 5 hours opening a new save, again, because I have a problem.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Improved cursor
I'm going to list my secret favorite feature under this, though it might belong more to the road or grid snap changes. Say you have a long, straight road that connects to a factory. Say you want to split off a T intersection right next to the factory, but you find you can only 'snap' click to the road a weird 'buffered' distance from the factory entrance. That's fixed! (Another example of this is when you have a long main road/avenue drawn and try to split it with a side road from a block, and for whatever reason, the road refuses to connect right at a 90 degree angle, because the snap points are on either side of where it wants to be.) Now roads have seemingly 2x the snap points and don't have weird built in 'buffer' zones between intersection nodes. There may still be limitations here - I haven't played with it a ton - but this will make so many weird, tight connections WAY easier. I love it. Oh, the new cursor is good too. Relatively minor but definitely nicer.

Okay, maybe this is only a slight improvement after loving with it. I've definitely been able to be a lot cleaner, but far from perfect in terms of aligning road intersections.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

We have such sights to show you.

Okay, it's something I could have made in the last patch, but this took me less than half the time to get something this close to symmetric and once its built I can actually signal it believably so traffic matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

This seems... Minor? As far as I can tell the function here is that vehicles can use a depot as a stop and it functions as a buffer, so instead of slowing down to make appropriate spacing, they'll queue at the depot and launch at the correct time...? I'm going to have to toy with this to understand why this change is significant, really. The slowdowns can be a little choking, sure, but in a generally stabilized route, I don't see a lot of utility here. Maybe I don't understand the use case or need to explore more to figure out how to exploit it.

Based on an hour of messing around looking at workshop maps/testing the new mechanics, they have little gasoline reservoirs, too! Seems like another minor (but nice) addition to save having to place a gas station along bus routes or otherwise have the busses take a detour every now and then to fuel up.