Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Alex quirk that's been driving me crazy lately: Any time he tells you how to search for something

"Just type in... ... famous study... where students believe they are killing subjects."

That's just the one I heard just now but he's telling people how to search for things all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Supremists.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

Alex quirk that's been driving me crazy lately: Any time he tells you how to search for something

"Just type in... ... famous study... where students believe they are killing subjects."

That's just the one I heard just now but he's telling people how to search for things all the time.

While I can totally believe it was originally borne out of laziness back in the early aughts, the exact technique he is now using is called "google-bombing." In effect, he is trying to game Google's page-rank algorithms by using his non-bot audience to inflate the search popularity of specific terms which favours his business and propaganda narratives.

Some other varieties of online extremist content producers will attempt the same method by telling someone: "Do your own research! Search for X." What is not stated, however, is that the propagandist in question usually had already set up websites or content channels using that terminology in advance. This way they not only have any unsuspecting target ready for entry into their promotional ideology, but they also benefit from the search engine interfacing, which even non-marks would still provide them by searching for the terms in the first place.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Funny thing is that it might be the other way around. I don't have links, but some of the old Knowledge Fight episodes had Alex actually explain the process and he told people to repeatedly do it for the express purpose of manipulating search results to wake up more sheep.

Him still doing it is either trying to be low-key (lol), sticking with it because it helps an old as hell audience or just leftover cruft from those days.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It does make me wonder where he got the idea. He was doing it early, but my impression of him is as someone who would have been technologically-illiterate at the same point, given the number of times he blames government interference for basic tech problems. That search results could be manipulated would be a rather advanced concept for him. (It's likely he just got the idea from one his tech people or webmaster, and then ran it into the ground.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Jones finally sat for questioning starting yesterday:

https://apnews.com/article/alex-jones-texas-connecticut-shootings-lawsuits-6512ff6dd4c846177bafa853bfaa9f74

So much for "Please stay the fines until April 11th, there's no way I can possibly do it before then!"

$75,000 says you can do better.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Jones finally sat for questioning starting yesterday:

'It's time to pray'

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Licking my lips, licking my chops, thinking they're going to finally shut Alex Jones down.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There have been so many times where he's threatened to quit over the past few years, or Dan and Jordan were pretty sure he'd be off the air.. and then there's still 300-400 more episodes to go after those. Alex doesn't have a reputation to ruin like someone like OJ Simpson did.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
This deposition is presumably specifically about Infowars funding and profitability and Jones' actual assets etc?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This deposition is presumably specifically about Infowars funding and profitability and Jones' actual assets etc?

Yes since that's what the trial is about at this point. Reminder that Jones has had a full default already granted on liability because he refused to participate in discovery.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
My understanding is that, although the default judgment has been granted, the severity of damages are still to be determined. Based on that they still have a reason to make inquiries into non financial aspects of the case.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

His inability to admit any non-inflated numbers for his assets/listener base is likely to be the thing to ruin him as much as anything, he's already agreed in other depositions to the absolutely ludicrous claim that he has hundreds of millions of daily listeners.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Adept Nightingale posted:

he's already agreed in other depositions to the absolutely ludicrous claim that he has hundreds of millions of daily listeners.

Something like 20% of the entire population of the earth, he claimed at one point was the number of listeners

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Something like 20% of the entire population of the earth, he claimed at one point was the number of listeners

That would be silly. He said 20% of the *English-speaking* population, so somewhere between 100 and 250 million people depending on exactly how you count that.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's an obvious lie, but we're all too happy to pretend it's the truth. Just this once. As a treat.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Awwwwww rip. This round is private.

They seem (performatively) confused as to why plaintiff representation is asking about motive and intention instead of things not specifically about that particular series of broadcasts.

They don't seem to get that the scope of damages is going to be based on intended malice, lack of rigor, intentional misrepresentation, and the like. Can't wait to read the ruling.

We've talked a lot about the potential suicide. Idk, I couldn't rule it out. I have to assume KF would just go off the air, it would be hard to respond to in a thoughtful way and to maybe not feel some responsibility because, even like this thread wants to believe, Jones is impervious to consequence. I think he would love to walk away with his grifted millions and retire to the woods he loves so much and leave this society behind, but if he's broke it's only his love of booze and cocaine that will keep him alive and doing weird off broadcast college radio or something.

My bet is that he starts an actual church.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just to make it clear, none of us here are hoping that Alex Jones hurts himself or anyone else. We’re being irresponsible amateur psychoanalysts at worst.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Wow, I'm listening to #274 that Robert Evans co-hosts for the first time, and it's legitimately the saddest episode I have heard.

This is the one where Alex, Paul Joseph Watson, and Owen do an AMA, and Alex gets blackout, near pass-out, drunk on air. I cannot believe that at least Owen did not try to stop the show when Alex became literally incoherent.

I'm still listening, but my best guess for why they didn't stop it, is that Alex would have become belligerent at the insinuation that he was unfit to host. I wouldn't want to be the one to try and cut him off, either on-air or at the bar.

Still, I can't help feeling a little bad for him. I've struggled with drinking and it certainly doesn't help you see the world in a positive light.

I just listened to this. My god. What a car crash indeed.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The depositions this time were carried out by Koskoff, Koskoff, and Bieder, who are up in Connecticut and not down in Texas. As they are not the firm that Bankston and Ogden are from, Knowledge Fight does not have a working relationship with them. They also seem to be incredibly media-shy, even in situations which would otherwise favour them. While they did appear in The New York Times writer's book on Sandy Hook, even then, it was only briefly.

While I don't know for sure, I suspect the reason for this has to do with their clients. Their court case represents the largest bulk of Sandy Hook victim families who were subject to harassment, and likely are in a position to not want any further attention in their direction. They also are suing Alex in Connecticut where the massacre happened, rather than down in Texas on Alex's home turf like Bankston's and Ogden's clients are. It was Bankston's observation that InfoWars openly ignored the Texas set of Sandy Hook cases, but were "playing to win" in Connecticut. (Both had default judgments, but they happened for entirely different reasons.) I suspect the reason for this other case more seriously -- by some impossible standard of the term -- is because since more people suing him in that case, the possible damages would be that much higher.

The perspective we've been afforded from only the cases in Texas is a relatively small part of the overall whole. The only part of it I find frustrating is that we don't know if this meant Koskoff, Koskoff, and Bieder had any differences in how the approached InfoWars as a subject matter. I get the feeling that's the sort of thing Dan would find fascinating.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Does anyone have any recommendations for episodes to listen to?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

neurotech posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for episodes to listen to?

The OP has a good list of starting points, but if there's a particular thing you're interested in then ask and I'm sure someone will provide.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Sometimes I just want Jordan to shut up so Dan can get his point out. I love this podcast and I started from the first episode. Jordan is starting to get on my nerves. Does he tone it down at all? I really like when he steps back from the mic and howls but other than that he is quite annoying.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jase1 posted:

Sometimes I just want Jordan to shut up so Dan can get his point out. I love this podcast and I started from the first episode. Jordan is starting to get on my nerves. Does he tone it down at all? I really like when he steps back from the mic and howls but other than that he is quite annoying.

Lol I was just thinking about that. Yeah if I quit the podcast its because Jordan isn't as funny as he thinks he is, and he steps in with a crummy joke or uninteresting observation way too often.

Dan is the funniest and most thorough guy ever tho so I'll probably hang in there. Listening to podcasts like Last House on the Left, it does make you realize there are funnier, more intellectually interesting and invested podcasters out there. But what can you do. Knowledge Fight is pound for pound covering the most batshit stuff out there.

e: I do feel Jordan backs off the mic as the years go by tho, to the point Dan just tells him to "mic down" a bunch every ep.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

neurotech posted:

I just listened to this. My god. What a car crash indeed.

You did not exaggerate. This was a deeply uncomfortable episode

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

jase1 posted:

It is occasionally grating whenever Jordan blusters through an exaggerated comedic response/extrapolation of a point Dan is making more subtly, only for Dan to have to push back on it saying he wouldn't go that far, etc.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Dangerous Person posted:

You did not exaggerate. This was a deeply uncomfortable episode

I picked that one yesterday because I thought Robert guest-hosting would be a fun diversion after listening to a bunch of Sandy Hook heavy episodes. The concept of an Alex Jones AMA on reddit is great. What a misfire.

I'm glad I stumbled on to it, but I had to put on The Good Place afterward for a palette cleanser.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I would have found that episode more uncomfortable if Jones was not a total and complete profit driven monster

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

My money is on when all is said and done, Jones thinks he can use the narrative of "These liberal judges are trying to silence me and shut us down" As a way to fundraise his way back to solvency.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The OP has a good list of starting points, but if there's a particular thing you're interested in then ask and I'm sure someone will provide.

I need to update it with the new deposition episode.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Speaking of depositions, I would recommend pairing the first Formulaic Objections with this episode of the podcast Opening Arguments. They cover the first Alex Jones deposition from a legal professional's perspective and give a lot of insight into how decent of a job Alex did of fending off quite a few of the lines of inquiries.

OA is hosted by a practicing lawyer, and it's got a very similar vibe to Knowledge Fight as the co-host is also a comedian that, in this case, dropped out of law school. If you enjoy KF there is a good chance you'll like OA as well.

Just based on this episode alone, if Alex had better lawyers, he may have been able to successfully defend portions of the Texas case. Instead, he defaulted for bafflingly stupid reasons.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 7, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

jase1 posted:

I've been listening to the show backwards and Jordan gets more annoying the further back I go. In the more recent times I didn't know why people complain about him so much, I don't find him irritating at all. So the answer is yes, he does tone it down.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Oh man I didn't believe you guys and had to check out 274 to see with a morbid curiosity how drunk Alex was. Holy poo poo that first clip was bad and it's just getting worse.

Robert and Dan are a great duo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been listening to the show backwards and Jordan gets more annoying the further back I go. In the more recent times I didn't know why people complain about him so much, I don't find him irritating at all. So the answer is yes, he does tone it down.

yea Jordan's a bit too eager to make his points early on but I'd say he breaks that habit fairly soon and just kinda becomes a typical slightly motor mouthy co-host instead of actively stepping on Dan at times.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Based on all the recent posts here I decided to listen to 274, and... holy loving poo poo.

I despise Jones, but it's also impossible for me to hear someone drunk like this in public and not be absolutely horrified for them, and for everybody in the room. I cannot believe somebody didn't stop this.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Morroque posted:

It does make me wonder where he got the idea. He was doing it early, but my impression of him is as someone who would have been technologically-illiterate at the same point, given the number of times he blames government interference for basic tech problems. That search results could be manipulated would be a rather advanced concept for him. (It's likely he just got the idea from one his tech people or webmaster, and then ran it into the ground.)

I am reading Off the Edge about flat earthers and their role in the conspiracy theory world and Kelly Weill talks a bit about how one particular dude was prominent in conspiracies solely because he had figured out the perfect way to game algorithms early on.

That man later declared in the early days of the pandemic that it was all over for humanity, and there would only be lone survivors.

My guess is he got coached up from Mike Adams, The Health Ranger.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Flat Earth is interesting because of the mix of plainly obvious grifters in prominent positions along with the true believers.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Just based on this episode alone, if Alex had better lawyers, he may have been able to successfully defend portions of the Texas case. Instead, he defaulted for bafflingly stupid reasons.

Yeah, that was an interesting point from the Texas lawyer. That Alex probably could have just dumped some hellish EasyBib document of "sources" for them to review and dragged things out for another year, but he didn't.

The Connecticut case default made a little more sense since they were starting to ask for real financials and you could only drag that out for so long.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Kolyin/status/1512179314376253446

Presumably this was what he was trying to prevent discovery of and what the majority of his deposition will be about.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That Opening Arguments was really interesting. After the victory lap the lawyer did for his deposition on Knowledge Fight it was fascinating to hear the more critical take of another experienced deposition lawyer on both sides performance.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh boy, the announcement up the top of this weeks episode is incredibly exciting to me