Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I appreciate that Bortles is self-aware he's not starter material.

Also love that he thinks he's an adequate #2 qb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJKY59NX8o

The Falcons' current backup QB threw one pass last year and it was an interception.

It's such a bad stat line that it broke the Atlanta Falcons team page and it shows him with a -414.6 QB rating.

Perfect landing spot for the QB who will introduce us to the "Dirty Bort"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1511665771335897095

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Bortles should sign with Dallas. Same exact playstyle as Dak, so he could fit in with no issues if there was an injury.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

MrLogan posted:

Bortles should sign with Dallas. Same exact playstyle as Dak, so he could fit in with no issues if there was an injury.

Is "lovely" really a playstyle?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Diggs is cool and good and I’m glad he’s getting paid like mad

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's a solid movie by Buffalo. Allen to Diggs is going to be a constant threat every offensive drive.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wait, keeping the WR that makes your offense terrifying is good? huh weird

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AndrewP posted:

wait, keeping the WR that makes your offense terrifying is good? huh weird

Overrated imo, we'll see.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if there's a market correction coming for receivers and in 10 years they'll be seen as interchangeable in the way that running backs are seen right now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

I wonder if there's a market correction coming for receivers and in 10 years they'll be seen as interchangeable in the way that running backs are seen right now.

Receivers don't have 5-6 players doing everything they possibly can to get them open.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

General Dog posted:

Not as much because receiver is a much more durable position. But the college game is producing a lot more NFL ready receiver talent so the pool in the draft will always be larger now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TO is joining the Fan Controlled Football League and asking for another shot in the NFL which is so incredibly depressing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

TO is joining the Fan Controlled Football League and asking for another shot in the NFL which is so incredibly depressing.

Dude is 48, if he can hang with the 20/30-something players in that league, I'd be incredibly impressed.

It is a bit depressing if he's doing it because he needs money or thinks he has a chance to get back into the NFL, though

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Dude is 48, if he can hang with the 20/30-something players in that league, I'd be incredibly impressed.

It is a bit depressing if he's doing it because he needs money or thinks he has a chance to get back into the NFL, though

He almost definitely needs the money.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Receivers don't have 5-6 players doing everything they possibly can to get them open.

they’re called officials

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Strong Bobson Dugnutt energy on this one.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He almost definitely needs the money.

Terrell has 25 million reasons why that's not true

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TO claimed at one point that he got ripped off by financial advisors and was low on money, but that was ages ago.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know I just wanted to make the 25million reasons joke shut up

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kalli posted:

TO claimed at one point that he got ripped off by financial advisors and was low on money, but that was ages ago.

Hard to imagine things have improved a whole lot since!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

We’re definitely at the point where any high school and younger players who are obviously some special talent that might be able to dream of going pro one day needs to play literally any position that isn’t running back unless they are close to a 50/50 run/pass dual threat. Because at this point being a pure bruising running back is just a bad business decision. Your ceiling by the time you’re drafted is 2nd round rookie contract and a few years of vet minimum.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

RB's will still be where all the best kids who can't throw play in youth leagues, and probably get their asses paid in college, but yeah, should probably work on the ol' route running if you're an NFL prospect.

Anyway, congrats Febreeze

https://twitter.com/CaptainCookus10/status/1511771587502039042

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

RB's will still be where all the best kids who can't throw play in youth leagues, and probably get their asses paid in college, but yeah, should probably work on the ol' route running if you're an NFL prospect.

Anyway, congrats Febreeze

https://twitter.com/CaptainCookus10/status/1511771587502039042

Well the random pure dominant athlete on some random high school team will play multiple positions including running back because no one can stop them. But they don’t usually concentrate on it. And if they do they need to stop or learn to catch.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Who is Cookus

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would have been funnier if he had just tweeted out "case cookus" imo

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Who is Cookus

A running joke on Vikings Twitter because his name is funny

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Six Attorneys General are threatening the NFL regarding their treatment of female employees.

NYTimes posted:

The attorneys general of six states, including New York, have told the N.F.L. they have “grave concerns” about allegations of workplace harassment of women and minorities and warned the league that unless it takes steps to address the problems it could face a broad investigation.

The chief legal officers sent a letter to Commissioner Roger Goodell late Tuesday outlining their concerns, which stem from a February report by The New York Times in which more than 30 former employees described experiencing a demoralizing culture.

The allegations included female staff members saying they had been forced to watch a video showing the former running back Ray Rice knocking unconscious his then-fiancée; being asked to publicly declare if they had been victims of domestic violence; and being marginalized or pushed out of their jobs if they questioned the N.F.L.’s handling of sexual harassment issues.

“All of this is entirely unacceptable and potentially unlawful,” the attorneys general wrote in a letter, which was obtained by The Times, adding that they would use “the full weight of our authority to investigate and prosecute allegations of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation by employers throughout our states, including the National Football League.” The league headquarters are in Manhattan, and Letitia James, the New York attorney general, was among the signers.

In a statement released Wednesday, James and the other attorneys general asked victims and witnesses of discrimination at the N.F.L. to file complaints with her office. Often, civil investigations into workplaces open after employees or former employees have filed complaints directly with attorneys general. Joining New York were Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Oregon and Washington State.

In response to the February report, the N.F.L. disputed that women, and particularly women of color, were sidelined or that the league was insensitive to the issues of gender and racial inequality.

“We share the commitment of the attorneys general to ensuring that all of our workplaces — including the league office and 32 clubs — are diverse, inclusive and free from discrimination and harassment,” the league said in a statement on Wednesday, adding that it intends to share “the policies, practices, protocols, education programs and partnerships” put in place to address its workplace culture.

The letter from the attorneys general came as the N.F.L. is facing a congressional inquiry into the workplace treatment of female employees at its Washington franchise and a discrimination lawsuit by Brian Flores, an Afro Latino man and the former coach of the Miami Dolphins, who said the league flouted its rules requiring teams to interview a diverse range of candidates for coaching and general manager positions.

Flores was fired by the Miami Dolphins at the end of the 2021 season and, with no head coaching offers, was hired as an assistant defensive coach by the Pittsburgh Steelers. A pretrial conference for his federal lawsuit is scheduled to be held on April 29.

Several teams have vociferously denied Flores’s claims and the N.F.L. said it was “deeply committed to ensuring equitable employment practices” and that “we will defend against these claims, which are without merit.”

A congressional committee has also been investigating the N.F.L.’s handling of claims of widespread sexual harassment in the front office of the Washington Commanders. That committee requested tens of thousands of documents from the league and held a hearing in February in which former employees spoke about their experiences working for the team and offered new allegations of harassment against Daniel Snyder, the Commanders’ owner.

Snyder has denied the allegations and the N.F.L. opened an investigation into the newly surfaced sexual harassment claims. The league in 2021 concluded its yearlong inquiry into the original reports of harassment within the Commanders organization, fining the team $10 million but declining to make its full findings public.

Last week, Goodell said there was “no time frame” on finalizing the league’s inquiry into whether Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson violated its personal conduct policy. He was accused by 22 women of sexual misconduct in 2020, allegations Watson has denied. In March, grand juries in two Texas counties rejected 10 total criminal cases against him.

It then goes on for a couple more paragraphs about Letitia James that has nothing to do with the NFL.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
"The attorneys general of six states, including New York, have told the N.F.L. they have “grave concerns” about allegations of workplace harassment of women and minorities and warned the league that unless it takes steps to address the problems it could face a broad investigation."

Watson has shown me that the NFL doesn't give a poo poo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oregon?

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

How can TO be broke? He still has the key to the city of Buffalo.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he went broke from buying cars like it was nothing, hiring multiple assistants and money managers who themselves lived a really expensive lifestyle and just took more of his money whenever they wanted, etc.

he also didn't make anywhere close to nine figures over his career like a WR can now, even counting all endorsements since he was that far off

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Much like Jerry Rice, I will give TO the benefit of the doubt that he can still run a seven yard slant until proven otherwise.

Also something something eventual rift with his QB blah blah drama insanity yadda yadda yadda :words:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

Much like Jerry Rice, I will give TO the benefit of the doubt that he can still run a seven yard slant until proven otherwise.

Same with Darrell Green covering a go route on about 50% of the league's receivers at 62. Gotta put him out there again before we know different.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think people doubt he can run them, but can he get out of bed the next day.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

Who is Cookus

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

boop the snoot posted:

"The attorneys general of six states, including New York, have told the N.F.L. they have “grave concerns” about allegations of workplace harassment of women and minorities and warned the league that unless it takes steps to address the problems it could face a broad investigation."

Watson has shown me that the NFL doesn't give a poo poo.

Oh word? Maybe if their concerns get super grave they’ll be brought up before Congress where they’ll look uncomfortable for a few hours while they’re getting grilled and then absolutely nothing will happen.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

This feels like something that will go nowhere.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This feels like something that will go nowhere.

Maybe it’ll go where the FIFA case went, with prosecutors finding them guilty and punishing them by giving them tens of millions of dollars.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

CubanMissile posted:

Maybe it’ll go where the FIFA case went, with prosecutors finding them guilty and punishing them by giving them tens of millions of dollars.

Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sataere posted:

Wait what?

I assume it's this

quote:

Tuesday brought the payoff: Six years after a wide-ranging criminal indictment laid bare decades of corruption in global soccer on a stunning scale, and five years after those in power started pursuing a piece of the millions that American authorities were rounding up, the U.S. government approved the payment of more than $200 million to FIFA and its two member confederations most implicated in the scandal.

The repayment will begin with an initial payment of $32.3 million in forfeited funds, the Justice Department said, but prosecutors have approved a plan in which the soccer organizations could receive as much as $201 million.

In a statement, FIFA’s president, Gianni Infantino, thanked the American authorities for their “fast and effective approach in bringing these matters to a conclusion, and also for their trust in general,” adding that soccer now considered itself “well past” its corrupt history.

But hey it's all okay, they want you to know they're also very sorry about Qatar way too late