Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Velvet Sparrow posted:

WE HAVE EMBRYOS! :derp:

Here's the break down:
29 eggs set ten days ago, 17 were our eggs, 12 were eggs from neighbors.

When I candled tonite: 18 eggs have embryos (10 ours, 8 neighbors), 2 not sure of (both ours), & 9 duds that never developed (5 ours, 4 neighbors).

The eggs from Slick Charlie, Peanut, Nyx and Rapunzel all have embryos. Chickam in 10 days! :v:

Chickens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I love this thread - I do not have chickens of my own but I enjoy reading about them and many of my neighbors have them.

I was on a walk today down a street I had not been down recently and noticed 2 big chickens pecking in someones back yard and I exclaimed to my husband "CHICK ANS CHICK CHICK CHIKS!!!" and the came to my side of the fence to come look at me lol

I am excited for another year of Chickcam :3:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Here's the break down:

When I candled tonite: 18 eggs have embryos (10 ours, 8 neighbors), 2 not sure of (both ours), & 9 duds that never developed (5 ours, 4 neighbors).

The eggs from Slick Charlie, Peanut, Nyx and Rapunzel all have embryos. Chickam in 10 days! :v:

my husband, cats, and I are all super excited for chickam :toot:

started following this thread for the chickam updates but i love everyone's birds

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

I love this thread - I do not have chickens of my own but I enjoy reading about them and many of my neighbors have them.

I was on a walk today down a street I had not been down recently and noticed 2 big chickens pecking in someones back yard and I exclaimed to my husband "CHICK ANS CHICK CHICK CHIKS!!!" and the came to my side of the fence to come look at me lol

surprise town chickens are the best. i was walking down the street near my house the other day, heard a small voice say quobblechop, looked up and beheld two perfect silkies (one grey, one chestnut) in a lovingly outfitted coop in someone's front yard with a good view of the neighbourhood

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

silicone thrills posted:

You can give them some tasty clover or dandelion greens to further befriend them :3:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I swear on the chicken boards on reddit 1/3rd are people asing "hen or rooster?!?!", another 1/3rd are people with egg bound or avian flu and not recognising it, and the other 1/3rd are dead chicken pics from various reasons.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Alterian posted:

I swear on the chicken boards on reddit 1/3rd are people asing "hen or rooster?!?!", another 1/3rd are people with egg bound or avian flu and not recognising it, and the other 1/3rd are dead chicken pics from various reasons.
My local one on FB is all this and adds in a streak of COVID-esque conspiracy mongering about avian flu being faked by a shadowy cabal of globalists controlling our food supply.

I wish I was kidding.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did that big red egg have an embryo?

BOTH of the Nyx eggs have embryos!

Although 12_String and I just last night discussed the lack of forethought in making new chickens that are half Brahma, half Marans. Both GIANT eating machines.

Laughing at silicone thrills calling neighborhood chickens...whenever we go anywhere in the car we always slow down to call 'Chick chick chick!' at every house that has chickens, then laugh at the chickens as they come running.
I'm not the only one who does this, right?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Here's the break down:

I'm glad you are still doing Chickam and still telling us about it here in this thread, Chickam is a big part of why I have chickens now.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Will there be a main chickam thread in GBS?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

my cat is norris posted:

Will there be a main chickam thread in GBS?

Yes. I'll post a link in this thread when I start it.

So...the ReptiPro incubator is giving me problems, stubbornly avoiding the perfect temp of 99.5 that I need from it and instead holding at either 98.6 (too cold, embryos die) or 101.5 (too hot, embryos die) degrees. This happened once before with my previous ReptiPro 9 years ago, just before it made horrible 'gonna burn your house down and kill you in your sleep' smells and died, and we got the current one.
I'm hoping this one doesn't quit on me mid-incubation or kill the embryos. Right now we're babysitting it. Only a couple of banty hens are broody, I'm unsure if they'd accept sitting on eggs inside the house & don't have a safe alternative outdoors.

To make matters worse, ReptiPro hasn't had any incubators available for more than a year. Their site still exists, but I can't find an available unit. There are other brands but they are an unknown quantity. Still have my 20+ year old styrofoam Little Giant incubators is all else fails...

Fingers crossed for Chickam. Stupid chicken drama. All I want is for this year not to be the baby chick death-fest that last year was. :suicide:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Fingers crossed for Chickam.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I can recommend the Nurture Right 360, if you need to get something new. The display temp & humidity aren’t always accurate but they are adjustable and they hold pretty steady. It’s mostly idiot proof too.

Broodies are best though :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Joburg posted:

I can recommend the Nurture Right 360, if you need to get something new. The display temp & humidity aren’t always accurate but they are adjustable and they hold pretty steady. It’s mostly idiot proof too.

Broodies are best though :3:

I'v never relied on an incubator's temp/humidity readouts. I use a seperate hygrometer and a Spot Check probe thermometer (gives you readings in 1/2 degree increments so you can hit that 99.5 sweet spot) shoved inside a water weasel for accurate 'what's the weather like *inside* the egg' temperate and humidity readings, and that's worked out super well.

Thanks for the tip on the incubator, I'll keep it in mind! But yeah, broodies are the best.:v:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/868388958811697153

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Large Marge hatched a chick!
https://youtu.be/65vjhIIZOe0

I won’t try to see until I hear more than one baby. She had 3 live eggs when I candled them yesterday. :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Large Marge :neckbeard: :love:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
She has such a cute face :3:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
We've got our first beetles!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Large Marge, I think I love you. :love:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I like to pretend that I’m hardcore but I don’t think I could farm bugs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They're cool! They're super gentle, don't stink or anything, can't jump or fly, can't bite, don't smell, aren't slimy...

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Joburg posted:

Large Marge hatched a chick!
https://youtu.be/65vjhIIZOe0

Imagined posted:

wonderful news all around

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The girls' food bin was empty when I went out this morning, so they followed me all around the yard until I refilled it and then dove right in.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Post a warning on content like that, I nearly died viewing it without warning :kimchi:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

LOL

My border collie-lab mix, Barley, had to have ACL surgery last month and will be on limited activity for probably another 2 months. That is poultry-relevant because he is our big flying bird deterrent. Today a couple of crows found the guineas’ nest and ate one egg and disturbed the rest. I saw it and chased them off but they came back later to check again. Barley barked impotently from inside the house. :sigh:

The chickens, guineas, and ducks apparently don’t care if crows come and eat their eggs. Dang birds.

Hopefully those crows don’t have avian influenza.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^Helmet Hen :v:

Less than a week to go for Chickam!

Hatch day will be Sat, April 16th- Sun, April 17th. We're testing the camera today. My brooder box materials should be here Tuesday/Wednesday, which is cutting it fine in giving me enough time to whack it together. We'll go with the kiddie pool to start if there's a time crunch.
The eggs are getting heavy! I'm going to do one final candling in the next day or two as I suspect I have a couple of quitters, but most are looking great!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

lol

we wrapped our run in mesh today. i hope it keeps the sparrows out. the chickens are gonna be hella pissed about not getting yard time.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Large Marge FINALLY came off the nest so I could see her babies. :3: All 3 eggs hatched so she has 3 half Cream Legbar- half brown egg layer chicks. I think the mostly yellow baby is half Buff Orpington but the others are a mystery.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

At lunch today one of the lower school teachers brought a new chick to show off. They'd had an incubator in the classroom and hatched eleven chicks. It just sat in her cupped hands, cheeping contentedly.

Going to have to visit that class during my planning block tomorrow. And every day until they give them back to the farm.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Large Marge is the best chicken mum.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Joburg posted:

Large Marge FINALLY came off the nest so I could see her babies. :3: All 3 eggs hatched so she has 3 half Cream Legbar- half brown egg layer chicks. I think the mostly yellow baby is half Buff Orpington but the others are a mystery.

inspirational

MrUnderbridge posted:

At lunch today one of the lower school teachers brought a new chick to show off. They'd had an incubator in the classroom and hatched eleven chicks. It just sat in her cupped hands, cheeping contentedly.

Going to have to visit that class during my planning block tomorrow. And every day until they give them back to the farm.
oh those classroom hatching programs :( they are a good thing, kids need them - the chicks in a hatching program at preschool were one of the first living things my friend's autistic child showed any interest in, and they demonstrated a sudden and permanent improvement in their general interaction with all species after that. a lot of them are run the right way by people who love chickens and know what they're doing. but on the other hand, as always, so many of them aren't. i did some research onto the australian programs, and the bad ones are really depressing. lots of dead and mistreated chicks, lots of dumped adults, lots of birds that don't actually get to live on the farm as advertised to the kids but are culled the moment they return for biosecurity reasons...

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 13, 2022

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I went to view chicks today, and the teacher knew all the different breeds of the chicks. She said the person who let them hatch the eggs raises the chickens for free ranging eggs.

The chicks themselves were awesomely cute! They were at the "toddle, toddle, toddle -plop, sleep" stage. She has them at her desk, so they don't get mobbed. The chicks were all very calm, and didn't mind being picked up at all. A couple gave a slightly startled peep, but just hunkered down and enjoyed the warm hands while peeping softly.

Makes me glad we're getting our chicks in a few weeks! The place we're getting from has a variety of breeds, so we're getting six different ones.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Test running the camera! It'll be out on the flock for a bit as 12_String fiddles with settings. Not long as the weather is snowy. THIS ISN'T THE HATCH. No eggs have pipped yet (thank GOD).

But if you want to watch the flock for a few minutes, here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iMWhoO42w

Today is the last day we'll turn the eggs. Tonight I'll remove any quitters, the rest of the eggs get moved to the bottom of the incubator, humidity gets raised to 65% and lockdown commences.
I fully expect one of the little stinkers to instantly pip, triggering human :derp:

EDIT--Heh, of COURSE YouTube and the laptop refused to play well together. Finally got it. Putting the cam out onto the flock for as long as the weather permits.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 13, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

MrUnderbridge posted:

I went to view chicks today, and the teacher knew all the different breeds of the chicks. She said the person who let them hatch the eggs raises the chickens for free ranging eggs.

The chicks themselves were awesomely cute! They were at the "toddle, toddle, toddle -plop, sleep" stage. She has them at her desk, so they don't get mobbed. The chicks were all very calm, and didn't mind being picked up at all. A couple gave a slightly startled peep, but just hunkered down and enjoyed the warm hands while peeping softly.

Makes me glad we're getting our chicks in a few weeks! The place we're getting from has a variety of breeds, so we're getting six different ones.
oh that's wonderful :kimchi: it sounds like a perfect program. and it really is so good for kids to see how baby birds are made and how to gently cradle them so they become friends. thank you for the elaboration :h:

enjoy your chicks! six different breeds is the perfect way to start.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

bringing home two new hens today :)

one is broody and they sent her eggs along with her. not sure if they're fertile or not but we'll find out later

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

bringing home two new hens today :)

one is broody and they sent her eggs along with her. not sure if they're fertile or not but we'll find out later

splendid creatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh, they're so adorable!