Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

paul_soccer12 posted:

Cracked.com's top 3 reasons why putin is ISIS

*Radio announcer voice* number threeee

written by PurpleTowel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1511105757705646083?s=20&t=6Cx_bBNe7X9PblhVmswFnA

Hell yeah

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

get the gently caress out of this thread and also the forum in general

make me bitch

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
not the first example of dog killing in zero covid china, probably not the last

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1511694298932293638

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Kill All Cops posted:

that stinks. corgis suck but they should of boarded it somewhere

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Kill All Cops posted:

wasteful, corgi's are pretty chunky, woulda sold for a lot at the dog meat restaurant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kill All Cops posted:

why did they not...leave it somewhere not outside

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

jfc im not gonna watch squid game stop trying to make me interested. not aimed as you, specifically, DiscountDildos

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

How long do they give you when you need to go into quarantine in Shanghai, is there enough time to arrange boarding for pets?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I thought that the dog was run over by a car but the website says that the dog was beaten to death with a stick by a quarantine worker

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

sexpig by night posted:

given how Shanghai has handled the whole situation this week I’m assuming the bus showed up and they said “it’s time to quarantine you have 10 minutes to pack. no we will not wait we have 25 more homes to visit before lunch”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

slave to my cravings posted:

I thought that the dog was run over by a car but the website says that the dog was beaten to death with a stick by a quarantine worker

lmao what the gently caress

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wtf

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"what should people do with their pets if they're both about to be taken into quarantine" is a problem that nobody knows how to properly answer because nobody actually tried to control COVID that way

It'd be funny if it wasn't also so tragic

Remember that lady in New York who got a "pandemic dog" and then had it euthanized in like April of 2021 because she was tired of it

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

that lady seems like she’s a “China watcher” so idk how reliable that site is

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
not the first time a dog was beaten by sticks either, it happened with a samoyed last month and another corgi in Shangrao in nov last year

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
maybe they just hate corgis

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

wonder if ftc moved to China

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Remember that lady in New York who got a "pandemic dog" and then had it euthanized in like April of 2021 because she was tired of it

ya thats not what happened

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

wonder if ftc moved to China

oh snap

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Most of these shows/movies have extremely unrealistic setups and back stories. I didn't realized how extreme impossible the villain's back story was until I watched a summary of the (Korean) Old Boy's plot.

Same goes for Squid Game. I don't want to blanket calling out "the Korean movies", but a lot of time these movies have such captivating presentation and production value you only have 2% of your brain pay attention to the plot when you watch them the first time.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Most of these shows/movies have extremely unrealistic setups and back stories. I didn't realized how extreme impossible the villain's back story was until I watched a summary of the (Korean) Old Boy's plot.

Same goes for Squid Game. I don't want to blanket calling out "the Korean movies", but a lot of time these movies have such captivating presentation and production value you only have 2% of your brain pay attention to the plot when you watch them the first time.

Were you expecting a more plausible explanation for the existence of a fully staffed, undetected murder island?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Korean TV is big into overt suspension of disbelief.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Were you expecting a more plausible explanation for the existence of a fully staffed, undetected murder island?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

not the first time a dog was beaten by sticks either, it happened with a samoyed last month and another corgi in Shangrao in nov last year

what the gently caress. only pitbulls deserve this treatement.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
yeah you gotta toughen them up for the ring

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Be serious: no american business is fully staffed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kill All Cops posted:

i had the best fried rice in my life in a hole in the wall beside the bus station in shangrao. i still think about that rice

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"
Supposedly the owners of the dog didn't want the dog to starve to death in the house so they left it outside. It absolutely would have just starved to death otherwise. Some neighbors seem to have interpreted this to mean the dog was abandoned by the owner and so was fair game for "culling." The fact that it was a Corgi means it was probably expensive for the owner so I'm skeptical of claims it was abandoned. Some context that is hard to see if you don't live in China is that a lot of people are scared of dogs and would see a stray dog as a threat to the community (yes even a small corgi). There is also a significant number of pet lovers who do see this as egregious abuse though and I am seeing a number of shared posts on my social media circle about this specific story.

Attitudes towards pets in China are pretty broad. It's not surprising to see a big dog chained to a post for most of it's life in the countryside while seeing expensive pet grooming salons in the city. Chinese cities don't have municipal animal shelters as far as I know and strays are culled pretty quickly. Given the fact that all other aspects of the Shanghai lockdown are a complete fumble, any kind of system for centralized quarantine or housing of pets probably has zero priority from the government though who knows if that might change given how much this outrages anybody with a pet in the country.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

When you want to tell a fantasy story, don't frame the setting in present day, comtemparary world, with reference to the real world. Frame it in an alternate world. Parasite and Handmaiden have the same problem too now that I think about it.

I saw a trailer of the Netflix Korean spy show the other day, I already know its bullshit because it's set in realistic world in China.

You know how Japan love to tell 95% of their stories in fantasy worlds? The Koreans are the opposite.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Parasite's setting is believable and both Parasite and Squid Game are incredibly unsubtle metaphors for capitalism, why do you need tactical realism.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The murder island is Society.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

1stGear posted:

The murder island is Society.

See I wasn't complaining the premise of the Squid Game (an extremely generic genre at this point), I was complaining the ending surprise, which retroactively make the story 3 times dumber.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kekeke! posted:

Supposedly the owners of the dog didn't want the dog to starve to death in the house so they left it outside. It absolutely would have just starved to death otherwise. Some neighbors seem to have interpreted this to mean the dog was abandoned by the owner and so was fair game for "culling." The fact that it was a Corgi means it was probably expensive for the owner so I'm skeptical of claims it was abandoned. Some context that is hard to see if you don't live in China is that a lot of people are scared of dogs and would see a stray dog as a threat to the community (yes even a small corgi). There is also a significant number of pet lovers who do see this as egregious abuse though and I am seeing a number of shared posts on my social media circle about this specific story.

Attitudes towards pets in China are pretty broad. It's not surprising to see a big dog chained to a post for most of it's life in the countryside while seeing expensive pet grooming salons in the city. Chinese cities don't have municipal animal shelters as far as I know and strays are culled pretty quickly. Given the fact that all other aspects of the Shanghai lockdown are a complete fumble, any kind of system for centralized quarantine or housing of pets probably has zero priority from the government though who knows if that might change given how much this outrages anybody with a pet in the country.

It's just a very sad situation.

Some of the other videos that lady had on her timeline were people fighting for covid rations. Don't know if that is true, but i'd trust the Chinese government to fix something like that.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It's real. They do kill your pet if you get covid, and if you're isolated they'll just have the pet starve to death. It's an awful policy that's causing a lot of controversy within china. While many people are old fashioned and see animal lives as worthless, many young people care just as much about animals as humans.

My wife actually values them more than people. It's a weekly occurrence now of her reading some awful story about an animal being euthanized / beaten to death and saying "gently caress this horrible country" I'm actually the more pro PRC one in our relationship.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1511424638139740162?t=0NzVcG_D1flQuK3SqEWXMg&s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
personally I think T hey should stop destroying the beloved possessions of their citizens

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

stephenthinkpad posted:

When you want to tell a fantasy story, don't frame the setting in present day, comtemparary world, with reference to the real world. Frame it in an alternate world. Parasite and Handmaiden have the same problem too now that I think about it.

I saw a trailer of the Netflix Korean spy show the other day, I already know its bullshit because it's set in realistic world in China.

You know how Japan love to tell 95% of their stories in fantasy worlds? The Koreans are the opposite.

Not sure how Parasite/Squid Game would be improved by setting it in some fantasy setting, it works because both are takes on modern society. The only other two korean Netflix shows I like, Kingdom and Space Sweepers use both their fantasy settings pretty well though.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's just a very sad situation.

Some of the other videos that lady had on her timeline were people fighting for covid rations. Don't know if that is true, but i'd trust the Chinese government to fix something like that.

Some places in Shanghai have been lockdown for like 2 weeks now I think, I took a look on the shanghai subreddit and most people estimated they had like 4-5 days worth of food remaining. Some people got government handouts, like 2 bags of veg and some spam. Seems most are reliant on their communities bulk ordering and there are some scam delivery services floating around but idk how prevalent that is. HK got thru the fifth wave pretty fast and without lockdown, all things considered. Hopefully there is an end in sight for the guys in Shanghai too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's fantastical about parasite?