Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Talking of small teams with night vision, this video appeared today. It's what seem to be a stationed lone tank, losing without warning to someone with a NLAW.
:nms:
code:
 https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1511724218848849920 
I'm guessing it's a scenario that's played out countless times, given Russia lack of night vision gear.

Every time actual tank combat comes up it further reinforces my view that crewing one of these things is maybe the worst job around.

Seems like a lot of dark, noisy tedium often followed by a bout of sudden "burning to death in a superheated steel can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Some feel-good footage, help us all to remember the small human moments of those who see this from the ground up:

https://twitter.com/EmmettLesterSan/status/1510126373699870726

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’d armchair that it may be even a bit easier, if Ukrainian forces retake Kherson and break out on the other side. Currently, in that area Ukrainian forces are storming a big city while being fired across the river, and raided from a nearby airfield. If they hold the city and move out, the river people and airplanes will need to gently caress off further, and Ukrainians themselves would have to move through villages and empty space, more or less.

I’m genuinely not sure where would their forces get stopped in this hypothetical scenario, except for naive answers like Crimean border.

This hope is in the same category as the 'The Great Kyiv Encirclement' that occurred only in goon dreams. Attacking across a river is a very difficult business even if the Russians left the Kherson road and rail bridges up and pulled back on the other side. Doubly so if you do not have professional engineering equipment to create your own crossing beyond the 3 points on the lower Dniepr. Everything is working against the attacker there which is why these locations are usually the target of surprise attacks by airborne or heliborne infantry as the main attack is about to threaten the bridge. There is no reason for the Ukrainians to try to force a crossing. If the Ukrainians intend to retake the land on the east bank, they have a perfectly logical jumping-off point at Zaporizhzhia which is fully under their control at the moment.

I think they will have their hands full though starting end of this week/beginning of next week as the Russians finish their redeployments and get ready to plow troops into the Donbas. That May 9th date is looming and I am sure expectations are that there needs to be something tangible to show for it.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

Some feel-good footage, help us all to remember the small human moments of those who see this from the ground up:

https://twitter.com/EmmettLesterSan/status/1510126373699870726

I wish everyone could have a lil' round dad that starts crying with joy upon opening the door :unsmith:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vox Nihili posted:

Every time actual tank combat comes up it further reinforces my view that crewing one of these things is maybe the worst job around.

Seems like a lot of dark, noisy tedium often followed by a bout of sudden "burning to death in a superheated steel can."

To paraphrase Sam Fuller, "There's nothing like the infantry. In an airplane you have 2 strikes against you, you get hit and you still have to fall. In a tank you'll fry like an egg, but in the infantry it's one thing or the other, you're either alive or dead."

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Owling Howl posted:

In my opinion this is a defining moment for the US and EU. We strongly identify with the struggle against nazism in the 1940s and frame it as a fight against fascism for democracy and freedom. Reality is more complicated but it is the narrative we prefer.

In this light we can't accept a Russian victory without rewriting our own value system. We can't quote Churchill "We will fight on the beaches..." or Roosewelt "We must be the great arsenal of democracy..." if we 80 years later allow Russia to extract victory from a senseless invasion and Bucha and Mariupol. If Russia achieves victory it is clear that, in fact, we will neither fight nor be the arsenal for democracy. Whatever we are, we are no longer that.

In my view we should dump every piece of kit into Ukraine. Tanks, APCs, artillery, planes, all of it. It stops here.

I think, if it were not for the threat of nuclear annihilation from Russia, we would have already curb-stomped Putin's little adventure here.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah we don't realize it, but if you're a millennial or older gen-z, our childhoods were probably the low point for nuclear proliferation for, at an absolute minimum, the next fifty years. No country is ever giving those things up, ever again. Everywhere that has them is going to invest seriously in modernization and expansion, and everywhere that doesn't is going to think very seriously about how to get them.

You have nukes or are close allies with a country that does. Otherwise your sovereignty exists solely at the sufferance of regional powers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fill Baptismal posted:

Yeah we don't realize it, but if you're a millennial or older gen-z, our childhoods were probably the low point for nuclear proliferation for, at an absolute minimum, the next fifty years. No country is ever giving those things up, ever again. Everywhere that has them is going to invest seriously in modernization and expansion, and everywhere that doesn't is going to think very seriously about how to get them.

You have nukes or are close allies with a country that does. Otherwise your sovereignty exists solely at the sufferance of regional powers.

I don't think I agree. Having a nuke is pointless by itself. Using it is simply Unilateral Assured Destruction. You have to have thousands of them, and the means to deliver them, to be a serious threat.

Beyond that, having nukes is not what keeps countries safe. It's having the military budget to afford them and the conventional army that goes with it that matters.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1511835135108337668?cxt=HHwWiMCysfOCj_spAAAA

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Political groups hate the institutions and members of opposing political groups, yes. The same way we have multiple threads about mocking and being mad at right wing institutions and groups.
Well to be fair we also get mad and mock left-wing institutions and groups.

Doccers posted:

I think, if it were not for the threat of nuclear annihilation from Russia, we would have already curb-stomped Putin's little adventure here.

How much of it as just a cover to avoid getting into a serious shooting war? USSR was directly involved in Korea and Vietnam and then there's India v Pakistan, and maybe USSR/China if I'm remembering that right, at the least.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

So they would train them in Russia?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

This hope is in the same category as the 'The Great Kyiv Encirclement' that occurred only in goon dreams.

I apologise, I’ll refrain from clearly stating the assumptions necessary for my speculative replies to hypothetical questions to make sense going forward, since you clearly are on top of reading my mind already.

If you want to know my actual opinion on that front - I think that Russians really don’t want to blow those bridges up, and will thus put up a serious fight to hold the right bank. Attacking urban environments for Ukrainian forces may very well be more difficult than for the Russian, since they cannot blow up the city before taking it.

I will be incredibly surprised if Ukrainian forces have a solid control of the right bank of Kherson by May 9 or the end of the current phase of war, whichever of the two happens first.

The end of current phase of war to me would be 1) JFO encirclement, 2) Russian control over Luhansk and Donetsk oblasts, 3) fresh formulation of Russia’s military objectives being pushed out, or 4) a total ceasefire of some sort.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 7, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think I agree. Having a nuke is pointless by itself. Using it is simply Unilateral Assured Destruction. You have to have thousands of them, and the means to deliver them, to be a serious threat.

Beyond that, having nukes is not what keeps countries safe. It's having the military budget to afford them and the conventional army that goes with it that matters.
I don't think this is actually the case, particularly if anti-missile defenses are developed (and they will be - I doubt they ever stopped but now there is a clear motivation to blow more dough on it). However, having a handful of nuclear weapons that you can use on invading forces may be an absolute deterrent.

You do still need a conventional army, the nuclear weapons simply make the downside risk of trying poo poo titanic and enormous to a point where even deranged people will at least notice it.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Delivery methods, sure. Numbers, not really. I mean, yeah, literally just a dozen wouldn’t chanage things that much. But even if Ukraine had India/Pakistan levels of nuclear armament, like let’s say 145 warheads, I have to imagine this would have been substantially different.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Only if used offensively, dropping a nuke within your own border on an invading force is beyond extreme, but when the alternative is destruction and genocide anyway, no one is going to bat an eye if you do. They might condemn you, sure, but whose to say they wouldn’t do the same if they were under the same threat.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So is Hungary gonna grace any repercussions for deciding to agree with Russia and pay for gas in rubles?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm. Not continuing nuke chat.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I'm curious as to the actual state and quality of Russia's strategic missile arsenal though? Considering how thoroughly hollowed out a lot of units were from corruption and mismanagement, with units missing all kinds of essential kit thanks to it being sold off by people in positions of power without any faith in the work of their own organization.... could their MRBM and ICBM inventories be similarly cored out?

Not trying to veer into clancychat or talk about nuclear deterrence specifically, but one my my more credibly-knowledgeable-about-strategic-operations friends has serious doubt as to the actual ability of Russia to capably respond defensively or offensively in a nuclear exchange. They are of the opinion that a lot of their ordinance would fail in way more ways than folks might expect and scoffs a bit every time he reads about Putin saber rattling about their own nuclear deterrence in the event of a western intervention. He believes that Putin might try some poo poo on the nuclear table but it would under-deliver and that Russia isn't actually fully capable of fulfilling their end of MAD, especially over Ukraine.

Any smart opinions on this? Or is this not the thread?

Deteriorata posted:

I guess I should take this to the other thread

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

queeb posted:

So is Hungary gonna grace any repercussions for deciding to agree with Russia and pay for gas in rubles?

The problem with casting your lot with the weird backwards autocracies with growingly wild hypernationalism is that your only friends are weird backwards autocracies with growingly wild hypernationalism, and they are also not your friends

And I mean that entirely above and beyond the normal calculus of how other nations are rarely ever your friends

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

queeb posted:

The EU is currently investigating Hungary for declining democratic standards and if found guilty will be punished with drastically lowered funding.

That was before Orban's declaration of paying rubles.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

How about a redirect to topical nuke chat, albeit a slightly different sort of nuke:

https://twitter.com/eskelinen_antti/status/1511604470286675974?s=20&t=GtIn4D-i077-9YosIJeiUg

Visual confirmation of trenches dug in the exclusion zone, aka: about the worst possible thing you could do in the area aside from breaking into the sarcophagus.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Orthanc6 posted:

How about a redirect to topical nuke chat, albeit a slightly different sort of nuke:

https://twitter.com/eskelinen_antti/status/1511604470286675974?s=20&t=GtIn4D-i077-9YosIJeiUg

Visual confirmation of trenches dug in the exclusion zone, aka: about the worst possible thing you could do in the area aside from breaking into the sarcophagus.

I question the strategic merit of that. Are they planning to defend that position? "Go dig a trench in the nuclear hot zone!" sounds like an assignment you give to someone who you really just want to go away forever.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm curious as to the actual state and quality of Russia's strategic missile arsenal though? Considering how thoroughly hollowed out a lot of units were from corruption and mismanagement, with units missing all kinds of essential kit thanks to it being sold off by people in positions of power without any faith in the work of their own organization.... could their MRBM and ICBM inventories be similarly cored out?

Not trying to veer into clancychat or talk about nuclear deterrence specifically, but one my my more credibly-knowledgeable-about-strategic-operations friends has serious doubt as to the actual ability of Russia to capably respond defensively or offensively in a nuclear exchange. They are of the opinion that a lot of their ordinance would fail in way more ways than folks might expect and scoffs a bit every time he reads about Putin saber rattling about their own nuclear deterrence in the event of a western intervention. He believes that Putin might try some poo poo on the nuclear table but it would under-deliver and that Russia isn't actually fully capable of fulfilling their end of MAD, especially over Ukraine.

Any smart opinions on this? Or is this not the thread?

I guess I should take this to the other thread
When you think about it, if only a few of their nukes make it to the US, it's not really a big deal.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Do...do I NWS tag this???
https://twitter.com/shustry/status/1511827302837100549?s=20&t=mbgTwOczd6FdGE9YmFE78g

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Someone mapped "where all the orcs come from" who were active in Bucha. Seems getting stuff like passport details of individuals isn't very hard in Russia.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...57433194664&z=3

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Orthanc6 posted:

Its still unlikely the dirt itself gave them ARS, more likely if they do have ARS its from an orphan source or from them stealing something from the labs they should not have.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Its still unlikely the dirt itself gave them ARS, more likely if they do have ARS its from an orphan source or from them stealing something from the labs they should not have.

Or they didn't have nuke poisoning at all, they just freaked out the first time one of them sneezed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CommieGIR posted:

No, but digging in that stuff, sleeping in it and inhaling dust for a month can’t be great for you. Not to mention it looks like some burning off took place so there might have been a bit of radioactive smoke getting around as well.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CommieGIR posted:

Huge chunks of graphite from the reactor were blown far and wide. It’s probably not that difficult to accidentally find/dig up something that will kill you dead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A person in locked in the stocks could easily get cold from that AC. Someone please contact Ukrainian OSHA.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A person in locked in the stocks could easily get cold from that AC. Someone please contact Ukrainian OSHA.

Just another side effect of NATO's imperialist war

If you hear the air ride siren please head to The sex dungeon in an orderly fashion

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

Or they didn't have nuke poisoning at all, they just freaked out the first time one of them sneezed.

The initial symptoms of acute radiation syndrome can resemble anxiety, so I think that is likely

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

The cardboard egg shell thing IIRC isn't true. The ERA containers(?) look like egg cartons and the big thing there was that the "pockets" for the explosives were empty.

I see, thank you for the correction. Still a case of missing ERA but not quite as severe as I had believed :tipshat:

In Finland, some dude who "follows economy and politics" predicted back in December that Finland might be "speaking directly with the USA about NATO membership" sometime in Feb-March already. The interesting thought here is that he's saying NATO might also benefit from getting Finland to join, as further proof of a NATO united front:

https://twitter.com/candolin2/status/1511774740419166211

Transcript & -late by me:

- Economy-and-politics-broadly-following Risto E J Penttilä, well, what
does this mean from Finland's point of view?

- For Finland this means that in the most extreme case Finland will have to
make a decision regarding NATO membership within the next few months.

- Well darn! Within the next few months?

- Yes. If this situation now worsens during this winter, as is possible and
as we were discussing here, then we'll come to a situation where first,
sanctions are used, against Russia, there will be counter-sanctions, then
still more sanctions - and even those will not be enough. And then, what
will NATO do? NATO will - it will not go to war, that is very clear. So
NATO will have to in some way prove that we are united, strong, and
then to Finland the question will be put: are you with us here or
not
. And this is one scenario, and I'm saying, is this likely, I'm
not sure, but it is /fully possible/. This situation is much more serious
than we are discussing here in Finland and this can lead to us in
February-March talking... directly with USA about NATO membership

- Oh my goodness! That was a tough thought indeed. What do the others think?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

OddObserver posted:

Sitting around in blockaded Mariupol is practically equivalent to not existing, given it's unarmed and therefore can't act as a battery.

Once the invasion started the sea of Azov was sealed off so it was essentially lost day one. All destroying it does is make sure the Russians cant capture it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I got MAPS
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1511856671475306500?s=20&t=z0gIca10rpsdcToLENIZsQ
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1511856680870551560?s=20&t=z0gIca10rpsdcToLENIZsQ

Also ISW is updated for the day https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-6

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I wonder if the invasion keeps going this poorly if the fins go "lol russia" and think joining nato is overkill

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Despera posted:

I wonder if the invasion keeps going this poorly if the fins go "lol russia" and think joining nato is overkill

I think the mass graves and bombing of children make a compelling argument that even if Russia can't beat you in a war, it's generally better for the war to not happen at all.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

If this is the place I think it is its not actually a BDSM place but rather a somewhat cringe sadism themed restaurant. One of the many terrible theme restaurants of downtown Lviv. They have a medieval one, one that's just anti-Semitic, and the famous UPA themed one.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FishBulbia posted:

If this is the place I think it is its not actually a BDSM place but rather a somewhat cringe sadism themed restaurant. One of the many terrible theme restaurants of downtown Lviv. They have a medieval one, one that's just anti-Semitic, and the famous UPA themed one.

This one looks awesome, look at those comely barmaids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm curious as to the actual state and quality of Russia's strategic missile arsenal though?
In the late 90's when Russia's military was even more dilapidated I attended a lecture by the British equivalent of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs (or maybe the Chief of Staff of the Army - I was a young cadet...it was just a lot of stars). Anyways he said at the time only two groups in the Russian army got resources: the VDV, and the nukes. The nukes were well-maintained, and the West could verify this due to arms inspection treaties.