Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shiroc posted:

Harris is a big fan of keeping people in isolation though.

This is better than the Garland thing.

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

silicone thrills posted:

holy poo poo at this slate article that hasnt been updated since the fox was found to be rabid

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/04/foxes-capitol-hill-congress.html

that article is absolutely bonkers holy poo poo

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Hey Covid thread I've fallen a bit behind since my last crack ping in early March. What's up with second boosters in the US? Is it still five months but only if immunocompromised, thus requiring some Max Titers like skullduggery?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bobtheconqueror posted:

Hey Covid thread I've fallen a bit behind since my last crack ping in early March. What's up with second boosters in the US? Is it still five months but only if immunocompromised, thus requiring some Max Titers like skullduggery?

Immunocompromised or over 50.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Literal textbook pathogen Y. pestis killed 30-50% of Europe’s population in under a decade.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i think i mentioned it, but i know nearly a dozen people that have got covid in the past ~10 days, at jobsites around NYC

all tested positive with a rapid except one, all were quite symtomatic (at least one, the one I'm closest to, has been home sick for nearly a week)

seriously, i live up the hudson valley about 90 miles, my boss and his brother in law are both sick from COVID since two weeks ago

greetings from inside the wave, everyone

I am clean so far, mercifully

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Immunocompromised or over 50.

Thank you very much!

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Stereotype posted:

i'm excited to see if china's strategy of "doing things to stop the pandemic" is going to yield better results than the west's "do nothing, actually make it worse" strategy

It can't hurt, but it won't work forever either.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

It can't hurt, but it won't work forever either.

yea in the long run it's always better to make eveyrthing as bad as possible. might as well just gently caress everything up right away

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Joementum posted:

even with them chugging MAbs and paxlovid, at least one of these congresscritters is going to get long covid like tim kaine did

hope the grilled chicken and bad jokes was worth it

also, lol

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1511829984234680323

saying "things can't possibly get any dumber" for the 69th time as all the beers reality handed me tumble from my arms

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s only a super-spreader event if it comes from the red electoral region of the United States.

Otherwise, it’s a quasi super-spreader event.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Anyone know what’s going on with Worldometers? they’re not showing nearly this many cases, but I’ve heard these higher numbers consistently elsewhere. doesn’t seem like a case of backdating either since earlier numbers are pretty low

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Stereotype posted:

yea in the long run it's always better to make eveyrthing as bad as possible. might as well just gently caress everything up right away

The Chinese can do whatever they want, but without effective vaccines they're just buying time. Covid ain't going away. Even if the entire world starting masking and boosting 100% that just means we have to start worrying about animal reservoirs and recombinant strains.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Gunshow Poophole posted:

seriously, i live up the hudson valley about 90 miles, my boss and his brother in law are both sick from COVID since two weeks ago

greetings from inside the wave, everyone

I am flying to that area tomorrow. :sludgepal:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

im losing my mind. I thought it wasnt real and then I googled and its real and jesus christ lol

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/capitol-hill-fox-killed_n_624dc856e4b007d3845e3e16

Wait what the gently caress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

christ could you imagine if Congresswoman Ami Bera really ends up getting merc'ed by rabies because she recently had covid or had an active infection?

This is going to look like poo poo on dark mode, but this is his actual logo:

https://bera.house.gov

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Chinese can do whatever they want, but without effective vaccines they're just buying time. Covid ain't going away. Even if the entire world starting masking and boosting 100% that just means we have to start worrying about animal reservoirs.

wow you're right. no one should do anything. we're all just buying time before death inevitably plucks our immortal soul from this mortal coil. bad things arne't going away after all, and even if we did things to try and stop bad things there are other bad things!!! people can do whatever they want, but i'm strongly implying that doing any things at all is awaste of time

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Amazing to see elites think it's no big deal for a tiny animal to decide to start attacking humans

As opposed to oh poo poo get animal control here pronto and everyone get your rabies shots so you don't die

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

All nature is their pet oh it bit me? How cute. What a wonderful day this is. Gosh that river is scary

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Stereotype posted:

wow you're right. no one should do anything. we're all just buying time before death inevitably plucks our immortal soul from this mortal coil. bad things arne't going away after all, and even if we did things to try and stop bad things there are other bad things!!! people can do whatever they want, but i'm strongly implying that doing any things at all is awaste of time

Get as salty as you want, but it doesn't matter. We've seen this play out a hundred times. If they manage to stomp out the Shanghai and Jilin Omicron outbreaks, the next strain is going to be 20% more transmissible. How much more transmissible does it have to get before lockdowns start to fail entirely? It will be fun finding out together, because that's where this is headed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s only out of your control if you attempt to exercise control and are foiled.

If you never try, everything is going according to your will.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pipistrelle posted:

My husband and I both got our 2nd boosters today. I have the same vaccine history as you, Moderna for the first 2 and then a Moderna booster in November. If a new wave is starting I want the protection, plus Mr. Pipistrelle has diabetes, so we’re trying to be extra careful.

I’m assuming a 2nd booster is fine since they’ve rolled it out in the official guidelines from the CDC, but I’ll let you all know if I die or whatever.

there's dozens of us who have gotten 4 shots now and had no ill effects

my wife and I got ours Feb 18

presuming them titers wane we might not even bother to get another one considering how ineffective they will be against the next variant, but some titers is better than none for the time being

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

yeah we're turbofucked now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trixie Hardcore posted:

As funny as this all is, it’s also unsettling to be reminded that world leaders aren’t just pretending covid is over as some sort of Malthusian plot but also because they are literally too stupid to live. It’s actually a bad thing that I’m smarter than both the head of the CDC and the NIH because I’m not actually particularly smart to begin with.

Do you not know, my son, with how very little wisdom the world is governed?

or, in the original Latin, “An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?”, because that’s how Swedes wrote letters in 1648.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm talking about this elsewhere but it keeps popping into my head

baseball pitchers who are incredibly stupid, like Gerrit Cole, are *better* pitchers than guys who think too much. Guys who think too much gently caress their flow up and pitch worse after they get hit hard.

Sometimes it's best to pick the obvious answer ("there's a disease and I don't want to die") and stick with it doggedly than it is to second guess yourself over and over.

When I was a kid, I was a very picky eater. One time my parents told me I wouldn't get to eat anything else until I ate my beans. I held out for three days without eating, until I won and they let me eat whatever I wanted. That dogged stubbornness has been very helpful with people who want me to change my "no removing my mask in public for any reason" stance.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah we're turbofucked now

Smart people are working on sterilizing vaccines. With a little luck and some time maybe we will be able to eradicate betacoronaviruses in humans. But I'm increasingly of the opinion that that's what it's going to take.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

Agreed. When faced with a serious problem he:
  • collected a panel of the smartest people in the world
  • maintained an open mind and heard people out
  • immediately sprung into action once a plan was proposed
  • acted against corporate interests for the sake of his constituents

I doubt any president in living memory would have done a better job in his shoes and/or monster truck.

Even Don’t Look Up would be an improvement. At least they came up with a plan, committed resources, and started executing it before scrubbing in favor of insane dumb plans. The US barely got past thinking about “mail out masks” and then immediately pivoted to doing nothing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

As funny as this all is, it’s also unsettling to be reminded that world leaders aren’t just pretending covid is over as some sort of Malthusian plot but also because they are literally too stupid to live. It’s actually a bad thing that I’m smarter than both the head of the CDC and the NIH because I’m not actually particularly smart to begin with.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

It's the animal reservoirs that are going to gently caress us if we can't kill the entire family of viruses with a vaccine. It'll just recombine with some deer virus and come roaring back when the spike proteins have mutated far enough. Gotta figure out how to kill them all.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

im losing my mind. I thought it wasnt real and then I googled and its real and jesus christ lol

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/capitol-hill-fox-killed_n_624dc856e4b007d3845e3e16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0CTkqB2Y1o

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hooboy

when did their lockdown start?

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

The Chinese can do whatever they want, but without effective vaccines they're just buying time. Covid ain't going away. Even if the entire world starting masking and boosting 100% that just means we have to start worrying about animal reservoirs and recombinant strains.

the current vaccines are also just buying time, since immunity against the current widespread variant lasts only about 2 months (to say nothing of inevitable future widespread variants). the only long term strategy worth a drat at this point is a massive change in how we live as a species, which is an ugly thought no one wants to consider. the alternative is to aggressively ignore doing anything and “power through” as society grinds to a halt with more and more people dying or becoming permanently disabled after repeated infections and regressing to something like the Black Death era. of course, the capitalists are quite intent on going for the second option under the false assumption that they can avoid consequences forever. they will be able to for a good while longer than most, but their power relies on the existence of a functioning global society, which is incompatible with doing nothing about covid

and as we’ve seen in recent news, some of them (most? all?) are dumb enough to believe their own rhetoric and will succumb to long covid well before all that anyway (but not before their compromised mental states put even more people in danger)

in a couple years, we will look back on these days as the good ones (which has been perennially true every day since 2020)

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Get as salty as you want, but it doesn't matter. We've seen this play out a hundred times. If they manage to stomp out the Shanghai and Jilin Omicron outbreaks, the next strain is going to be 20% more transmissible. How much more transmissible does it have to get before lockdowns start to fail entirely? It will be fun finding out together, because that's where this is headed.

I thought we’d all gotten over this phase of doom posting in like 2021 lmao

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pipistrelle posted:

My husband and I both got our 2nd boosters today. I have the same vaccine history as you, Moderna for the first 2 and then a Moderna booster in November. If a new wave is starting I want the protection, plus Mr. Pipistrelle has diabetes, so we’re trying to be extra careful.

I’m assuming a 2nd booster is fine since they’ve rolled it out in the official guidelines from the CDC, but I’ll let you all know if I die or whatever.

My doctor told me to just get a 2nd booster if I want it, and if anyone gives me trouble I'm free to lie and say I'm immunocompromised.

But he also said COVID is going to be over soon so mixed bag really.

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I thought we’d all gotten over this phase of doom posting in like 2021 lmao

There's no getting over reality. When we can end the covid pandemic it will mean we have the technology to end the flu and the common cold. It's not quite an existential battle, not like it would be if covid had a 20% CFR, but it's as close as we're going to see in our lifetimes inshallah.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
china are smart to get the good covid, the one you want to get.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There's no getting over reality. When we can end the covid pandemic it will mean we have the technology to end the flu and the common cold. It's not quite an existential battle, not like it would be if covid had a 20% CFR, but it's as close as we're going to see in our lifetimes inshallah.

The barrier to ending the common cold has always been economic.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
No one with a mask today. Just me.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Smart people are working on sterilizing vaccines. With a little luck and some time maybe we will be able to eradicate betacoronaviruses in humans. But I'm increasingly of the opinion that that's what it's going to take.

I agree. Covid will continue evolving until it can bind to AC2 receptors with more affinity than the antibodies we produce. At that point curing it will be impossible. Some people will get along just fine with the virus in thier system because of some genetic quirk, and after enough generations every human will have that quirk and covid will be just another part of our "junk" DNA. If that culling process takes a few hundred years maybe some kind of society can maintain itself. Maybe we'll invent a universal sterilizing coronavirus vaccine before that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Untrue. They could launch a defensive nuclear strike against Western civilization for committing crimes against humanity via biological warfare. That's not our de jure practice but it is 100% our de facto situation.

Obviously there are new complications with that plan, but are they worse than the absolute assurance that covid is going to gently caress them because Western civilization is racing to the bottom of the deepest gutter we can find? They probably are, but it's a closer thing than it has any right to be.