Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Despera posted:

nobody want to debate that chinas covid deaths might be underreported? didnt think its inflame so much hate

ok what sources do you have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the thing about Covid zero is that if there is if you remove Covid from a place there will be no more deaths until Covid comes back

the chinese goverments somewhat unbelievable claims of zero deaths in a year

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the thing about Covid zero is that if there is if you remove Covid from a place there will be no more deaths until Covid comes back

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I can believe the number is way higher than 4k but its weird that they would go to such extreme measures right now if the virus was secretly endemic in the country

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
“I don’t have proof but I know the inscrutable celestial is a born liar”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Despera posted:

Fact-check:

quote:

China reported... two COVID deaths for all of 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

China just counts the people who died OF covid, while the stupid westerners count the people who died WITH covid.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The hilarious thing is if you take this at face value, wholly true--uh so europeans are trustworthy? :thunk:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. my claim of more than 0 people dying of covid is less extraordinary than the chinese claim of 0 no?

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I can believe the number is way higher than 4k but its weird that they would go to such extreme measures right now if the virus was secretly endemic in the country

Don't you get it? COVID was rampaging through China secretly and now all of the work they did to prevent COVID rampaging through is falling apart.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
well no because

a. they actually took Covid seriously instead of the festering shithole that is the west
b. they said they had 2 in the previous year

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well no because

a. they actually took Covid seriously instead of the festering shithole that is the west
b. they said they had 2 in the previous year

if you honestly believe that ok

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Despera posted:

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. my claim of more than 0 people dying of covid is less extraordinary than the chinese claim of 0 no?

no

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

from what I read, those deaths happened in Jan, and "in a year" is counting feb 21 to feb 22

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Despera posted:

if you honestly believe that ok

again what are your sources for believing otherwise

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Despera posted:

Your claim of zero is less credible than their claim of two

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Homeless Friend posted:

lol china breaking minds ftw

he’s had poo poo for brains for years already this isn’t new

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

China pretty much doesn’t break out the NPIs unless there’s official confirmation of an outbreak, so when there isn’t people are walking around unmasked and going to concerts. how would a secret outbreak be stopped at the point that the deaths are low enough to be covered up without even basic measures like masking? the rate at which Covid spreads, an outbreak in an area with the relaxed measures would balloon into thousands of cases within days and hospitals stretched to their breaking point, and be impossible to cover up. the only kinds of outbreaks small enough that they can be covered up are ones that are instantly hit with proactive NPIs, which also can’t be covered up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

FrancisFukyomama posted:

China pretty much doesn’t break out the NPIs unless there’s official confirmation of an outbreak, so when there isn’t people are walking around unmasked and going to concerts. how would a secret outbreak be stopped at the point that the deaths are low enough to be covered up without even basic measures like masking? the rate at which Covid spreads, an outbreak in an area with the relaxed measures would balloon into thousands of cases within days and hospitals stretched to their breaking point, and be impossible to cover up. the only kinds of outbreaks small enough that they can be covered up are ones that are instantly hit with proactive NPIs, which also can’t be covered up

yeah but…. it’s China…. and my gut tells me they’re lieing.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Despera posted:

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

proceed with yours, then

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Despera posted:

nobody want to debate that chinas covid deaths might be underreported? didnt think its inflame so much hate

all covid deaths underreported. just say the covid deaths are 20x in china who cares lol. its chump change

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mirello posted:

It's real. They do kill your pet if you get covid, and if you're isolated they'll just have the pet starve to death. It's an awful policy that's causing a lot of controversy within china. While many people are old fashioned and see animal lives as worthless, many young people care just as much about animals as humans.

My wife actually values them more than people. It's a weekly occurrence now of her reading some awful story about an animal being euthanized / beaten to death and saying "gently caress this horrible country" I'm actually the more pro PRC one in our relationship.

I just talked to my inlaws back in my wife's hometown, of around 1m people. They recently had a lockdown of....2 days, enough time for them to PCR test everyone in the city. This is the only "lockdown" they have ever experienced, ever. The testing found zero cases. Their town has never found a single case of covid. They don't know anyone who knows anyone who's ever gotten covid. But the local government closed all schools and went to online classes for a few weeks just to be safe. They've never had any sort of mask or vaccine mandate. They ask about America and I tell them 0.5% of the population of New Jersey is loving dead and life expectancy is down by almost a decade, but ultimately who can say which country had the better approach really.

I think Chinese media really downplays what a pit of covid death and random sectarian violence America really is. Don't know if your wife has ever been to America, my wife went from mildly disliking America when she arrived in 2018 to full on :d2a: now. I'm glad China makes anyone coming into the country sit in a hotel for 8 weeks or whatever now because otherwise she'd have already gone back. This is with a 5 bedroom house on a 1 acre lot beside the best public school district in the state, groceries delivered from Whole Foods every 5 days and gold plated health insurance. I can only imagine how she'd feel in a more "typical" American household.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
when one splits hairs, one would hope those hairs actually make a difference/count. this is like only taking away one of the undertakers belts

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Even if you believe china is lying why does it matter? If you’re in the US a 9/11 is happening everyday and the government absolutely doesn’t give a poo poo.

I commend the Chinese government for handling the pandemic responsibly.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we're actually a ways away from 9/11 now. still 600 folks a day tho. a china a week, you could say

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
a genocide a day

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Throatwarbler posted:

This is with a 5 bedroom house on a 1 acre lot beside the best public school district in the state, groceries delivered from Whole Foods every 5 days and gold plated health insurance.

let me hold a rack

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I commend the Chinese government for handling the pandemic responsibly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

ok what sources do you have

source: the inscrutable Han

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Flavahbeast posted:

yea do I believe it's literally 4000? Nah it's probably a good bit more.

Do I believe China has handled the virus better, including coming out of it with an order of magnitude less deaths than its peers? Sure as hell do!

So really the number is a bit of semantics to argue, the point is the handling.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

China lying about covid zero for all this time would mean that it's just spreading through the country and nobody has noticed lmao

loving pissbrain

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Despera posted:

I believe that the Chinese governments position is not that their citizens became immortal somehow, but rather that nobody died of covid specifically

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually think it's less than 4000.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Despera posted:

extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

And what would you accept as evidence that China had 2 deaths in 2021

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Speaking of extraordinary claims

Chinese medics killed death row inmates by taking hearts: Report

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You could add two zeroes on to China's COVID death count and they'd still be coming out far ahead of every Western nation on their per capita death rate.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

You could add two zeroes on to China's COVID death count and they'd still be coming out far ahead of every Western nation on their per capita death rate.

they want to add more zeros than that, the fixed covid death numbers someone put out (the economist?) were calculated by saying "china's numbers are actually poportionaly the same as the western ones"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

These claims don't seem particularly extraordinary. "We read the writings of doctors who were tasked with harvesting organs from dead death row inmates, and it looks like they took organs after the inmate's heart stopped beating but before a coroner declared them dead" seems extremely plausible, like something that isn't supposed to happen, but not like cartoonishly evil or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1511927493699129344?s=20&t=sNg0zDT-LrKI2K5U75A9FA

DiscountDildos has issued a correction as of 06:40 on Apr 7, 2022