Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Turn Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

Right. They’re more likely to keep medicine away from harmful radiation.

California Countdown posted:

Before it reaches the administration offices, the corridor passes through a reception lobby. A pair of heavy doors, inset with circular windows, separates the corridor from this lobby. Peering through the windows, you can see a detailed floor plan of the hospital hanging behind the reception counter. This must show where the medicine storage facility is located but, to your frustration, you cannot reach it: both the doors are locked.
Should we try to smash through the doors, pick the lock, shoot the lock, or blast the doors open with our HE Grenade?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
No need for excessive force just yet. Let’s try picking the lock first.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

big bada boom

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Frag out

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Shoot the lock.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Wafflecopper posted:

big bada boom

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

nelson posted:

No need for excessive force just yet. Let’s try picking the lock first.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Frag out

big bada boom

You take the grenade from your pack and set its variable timer to detonate ten seconds after the pin is pulled. Then you wedge it between the door handles, ease out the pin, and run for cover at the end of the corridor. The grenade explodes with a flash and a dull boom that rips both doors clean off their hinges and fills the corridor with acrid, grey smoke. You rise to your feet and wait for the smoke to thin out before you head back towards the smouldering remains of the doors.

Having dealt successfully with the locked doors, and eager to waste as little time as possible, you rush into the lobby and run straight towards the reception counter. But you have taken only a few strides when a group of clansmen appear in a corridor opposite. They command you to stop as they advance towards the counter. Expecting trouble, all of them are armed and extremely nervous.

You raise your hands in surrender, but when the leading clansmen see that you are not an Outlaw, and that you are armed, they panic and immediately open fire. Pain explodes in your chest as a dozen bullets knock you backwards off your feet. For a moment you see an intense white light, and then it dissolves into a darkness from which you will never emerge.
    Sadly, your life and your journey end here in the lobby of the Casa Grande General Hospital.

Death count: 1.

Should we go back and take the other corridor, or try smashing the doors open, picking the lock, or shooting it instead of using the grenade?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Clearly it’s impossible to get through this door without dying. Take the other corridor

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Lockpicking sounds more stealth type thing.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

A close examination of the keyhole reveals that the doors are held by a five-lever Matthews deadlock: picking this lock will not be easy.

We roll: 3 + 5 (Field Craft) + 3 (Tool Kit) = 11.

It takes you fifteen minutes of patient manipulation, but your efforts and skill are rewarded. With a satisfying click, the lock disengages and you are granted access to the lobby beyond. A study of the hospital plan reveals the location of the medicine storage facility, which you commit to memory.

‘Third right … second left … second right … ’ you mumble as you set off in search of the vital Atropine you need to save Kate’s life.

Shortly, you arrive at the medicine storage facility. The elation you feel at having found it so quickly is dampened when you switch on the lights and take stock of your surroundings. Tens of thousands of bottles and containers line the shelves and, to make matters worse, you soon discover that all the drugs classified as poisonous or under FDA control are locked away in a vault-like room, protected by a steel door and a sophisticated combination lock. It could take you a week to search the shelves, and considerably longer to force open the vault door.

Hoping to get lucky, you search through the store’s card index system, looking for the Atropine listing. You find it, but your worse fears are confirmed when you see that the stock records are printed on a red card. Atropine is classified as a poison and is therefore kept locked away inside the vault.
    With dread, you examine the combination lock. It is an electronic device, consisting of three groups of three numbers, each group arranged in the shape of an ‘L’. One of the numbers in the last group is missing. When the correct number is tapped in here, it completes the sequence and releases the lock. Consider the following numbers carefully.
The first group consists of the numbers 8, 104 and 13. The second, of 6, 54 and 9. The third, of 4, blank and 7. What's the missing number?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

The first group consists of the numbers 8, 104 and 13. The second, of 6, 54 and 9. The third, of 4, blank and 7. What's the missing number?

The missing number is 28...8x13 = 104, 6x9 = 54, 4x7 = 28. Dever was never particularly complicated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ulmont posted:

Dever was never particularly complicated.
Most of them are more complicated than this one though. This one is especially easy.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It’s so easy I’m surprised the vaults weren’t already raided. 28

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

You know, I have never worked anywhere with locks that required math skills, linguistic puzzles or riddle solving to open, and I am very sad about that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Black Robe posted:

You know, I have never worked anywhere with locks that required math skills, linguistic puzzles or riddle solving to open, and I am very sad about that.

But on the other hand, you've never worked anywhere with locks that required you to solve a sliding block puzzle either, so you can be thankful for that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The moment you input the correct number, there is a faint click and the whirr of a hydraulic lock as it disengages. The vault door opens easily and inside you find what you have come here for: Atropine.

You take the tub of Atropine tablets and check that its seal is intact; then you slip the tub into your pocket as you hurry out of the store and retrace your steps all the way back to the hospital exit. (You need not make a record of the Atropine on your Action Chart.)

As you leave the hospital and make your way back to your car, an armed clansman with a solar torch comes walking across the lot. You freeze in your tracks, and then hide behind one of the wrecked autos. Judging from the direction in which he is walking, there is a strong possibility that he will catch sight of your roadster before you reach it.
Should we try to sneak up and ambush him or stay hidden and wait to see what he does?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ambush! Bang! Bang!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Ambush! Bang! Bang!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ninja chop!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

moosecow333 posted:

Ninja chop!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Ambush! Bang! Bang!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Silently you draw a knife and creep forwards, using the wrecked cars and the howling storm to cover your approach. As you move, you keep your eyes on the clansman. He stops to shelter in the lee of a panel truck, where he attempts to light a hand-made cigarette.

You are within five feet of him when suddenly he turns and sees you. Before he can scream a warning to his fellow clan brothers, you leap forward and launch your attack.

Groucho: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 24

Owing to the surprise of your attack, you can ignore any ENDURANCE point losses you sustain in the first two rounds of combat.
Cal Phoenix: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 23
Groucho: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 24
Combat Ratio: 4

We roll: 5
Groucho: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 18

We roll: 10
Groucho: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 8

We roll: 3
Cal Phoenix: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 22
Groucho: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 2

We roll: 10
Cal Phoenix: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 22
Groucho: CLOSE COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 0

You drag the clansman’s body into the back of the panel truck and make a quick search of his clothing.

You uncover the following items:
  • Pistol (containing ten rounds of 9mm ammunition)
  • Club (+2 CCS)
  • Water Canteen
  • Enough water for two Drinks
  • Cigarette Lighter
  • Solar Torch
As you are about to leave the panel truck, you hear a clansman calling out his partner’s name. You wait with bated breath until the shouting ceases, and then you hurry back to your roadster.

The dust storm is still raging fiercely as you head back onto Highway 84. Your return to the intersection with Interstate 8 passes without incident and soon you are driving west once more towards Gila Bend. It is a difficult and frustrating drive, for you cannot shake the fear that Kate will have lapsed into a coma before your return with the Atropine, and yet you dare not increase your speed for fear of crashing off the freeway. The strain takes its toll—lose 2 ENDURANCE points.

During your return drive you must take a Drink or lose a further 3 ENDURANCE points.
Aside from the water, do we take anything?

Close Combat Weapons
  1. Meat Cleaver (+3 CCS)
  2. Bowie Knife (+3 CCS)
    Missile Weapons & Ammo Pouch
  1. Rifle (3/3 7.62mm rounds)
    ↓ -1 Stealth ↓
  2. Machine Pistol (34/34 9mm rounds)
    ↓ -2 Stealth ↓
    Backpack
  1. HE Grenade
  2. Combat Viewer
  3. CB Radio
    ↓ -1 Stealth ↓
  4. Meal
  5. Meal
  6. Binoculars
    ↓ -2 Stealth ↓
  7. Tool Kit
  8. Water Canteen (1 Drink)

9. ↓ -3 Stealth ↓

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Take the solar torch.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take nothing. Let’s get out of here before the other Marx brothers show up.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

As you approach Gila Bend you are greeted by a volley of shots that brings you skidding to a halt. Two men, both of whom you know to be Tucson colonists, emerge from the dust-choked darkness and come running towards you with machine pistols clenched in their hands. They stop in front of your roadster and are about to take aim at the windshield when one of them recognizes you.

‘What in God’s name you doin’, boy?’ shouts Frazer, the older of the two lookouts. ‘You could o’ got y’self killed.’

‘Nobody told us you was out of the camp tonight,’ says Avenal, his young sidekick. ‘Where you been?’

Taking the tub of Atropine tablets from your jacket pocket you reply impatiently, ‘One of the DC1 colonists is sick, and if she don’t get this medicine soon she’ll die. Now please let me through.’

Frazer lowers his gun and moves aside but Avenal remains where he is, his gun still levelled at your car.

‘Ain’t she that clan-girl—Kate Norton? I heard she an’ Mad Dog Michigan were an item before you wasted his brother?’ he says.

‘You’d better watch that mouth o’ yours, Avenal,’ you retort, angered by his sneering comments. ‘Now get outta my way. I’m in a hurry.’

‘They say them clan-girls are really hot ’n’ wild. Now I bet you’d know all ’bout that wouldn’t you, Phoenix?’ he leers.

You try to restrain yourself but Avenal’s ugly remarks are making your blood boil.
Shall we get out of the vehicle and "teach him some manners", stay in the roadster and drive straight at him, or remain calm and ask him to move out of the way again?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Run him over.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sir, you have insulted my lady’s honor! Move out of my way or I shall demand satisfaction!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Teach him to keep our girlfriend's(?) name outta his drat mouth!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

nelson posted:

Run him over.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Sir, you have insulted my lady’s honor! Move out of my way or I shall demand satisfaction!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Once more you ask Avenal to get out of your way, but your request is totally ignored. Stubbornly he remains fixed before your car and launches into a monologue that is so full of insults and coarse innuendo that it leaves you trembling with anger. The thought of Kate slowly dying while you are held up by this abusive character is almost too much to bear. Frazer, seeing that you are fast approaching breaking point, steps in and orders Avenal to get out of the road. Reluctantly he obeys, and at once you drive off towards the centre of Gila Bend.

You return to the school bus to find your aunt sitting by Kate’s side. She is holding her wrist, as if monitoring her pulse, and her face is tense and lined with worry. Kate’s face is deathly pale. She is no longer perspiring and her breathing is almost imperceptible.

‘Where have you been, Cal?’ asks your aunt, in a tone of voice that reminds you immediately of your mother’s. You reply simply by handing her the tub of Atropine tablets.

‘How did you get … ?’ she gasps, and then at once her look of surprise changes to one of intense concentration.

‘I went to—’ you start, but your aunt cuts you off.

‘No … never mind now,’ she says, tersely. ‘There isn’t time for explanations. Kate’s slipping away. We must be quick if we’re to save her.’

Swiftly your aunt prepares an Atropine solution, using the tablets and some boiled water, and carefully she pours it, drop by drop, into Kate’s mouth. ‘You go and get yourself some rest,’ she says. ‘You’ve earned it. There’s nothing more you can do here. We’ll know in the morning if she’s going to pull through.’

Aching with fatigue, you leave the bus and find shelter in a derelict boarding house nearby. There you find a bed with blankets and settle down to some much needed sleep.

You wake late the following morning and open your eyes to the unexpected sight of sunlight streaming in through the window of your room. During the night the dust storm has abated steadily, and now, two hours before noon, the sun once again reigns supreme in the azure skies above Gila Bend. Your first thoughts are of Kate and immediately they spur you into action. Hurriedly you gather up your equipment and run all the way to the school bus.

You enter to find Kate sipping soup from a spoon that Aunt Betty-Ann is holding to her lips. She still looks pale, but at least she is no longer at death’s door. When she sees you she smiles and holds out her hand.

‘How ya doin’, kiddo?’ you say, light-heartedly, and squeeze her fingers, which are cold to the touch.

‘Better … thanks to you,’ she replies. You talk to her while she drinks the last of the soup. Then your aunt goes to the front of the bus and returns with another bowl.

‘Here you go, Cal,’ she says. ‘Have some brunch.’

‘Not mushrooms, I hope,’ you comment, which makes Kate smile.

As you are finishing your meal, Rickenbacker climbs aboard and informs you that the convoy will be leaving in an hour. ‘We’d better get ready, Cal,’ he says. ‘Mike Gorgas wants us to cover point. Macy and Langdon will be the convoy’s rear guard.’

‘OK,’ you reply, as you get ready to leave. You thank your aunt for the food (restore 3 ENDURANCE points), and then kiss Kate goodbye before returning with Rickenbacker to your roadster.

Endurance: 23/27

You bring your roadster to a halt at the front of the convoy and Rickenbacker helps you replenish the fuel tank with gasolene drawn from the DC1 tanker. Once the refuelling is complete, the two of you carry out a routine inspection while the other convoy vehicles are being refuelled for the journey ahead. After last night’s excursion, you are keen to make sure that your vehicle is still roadworthy.

Everything seems to be in good order until Rickenbacker notices wet patches of fluid pooled on the ground on the inside of the front wheels. Closer inspection reveals it to be brake fluid, which is seeping from severed brake lines. The damage is not accidental: the brake lines have been snipped with wire cutters. Someone has attempted deliberately to sabotage your vehicle.
Should we report this to Mike Gorgas, the convoy leader, or just fix it and say nothing?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
We better report it. Maybe it happened to others too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Snitches get stitches. Say nothing.