Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’m so glad AEW is down with blood (and guts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I can second that Yuta/Moxley was excellent as hell.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Holy gently caress

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Fantastic lighting for my man in the tank top

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not shocked at the sammy/tay reaction. their shtick is not going to win anyone over and it's especially disheartening that Tay is now firmly entrenched as just The Girlfriend in this go-away heat storyline

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He stood up to Regal, was able to go hold for hold with Danielson and has bled with Mox. Can't wait for him to be the first BCC protege.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

quote:

* Lexy Nair interviews Hook but he just said nothing and ate chips. Danhausen popped out of the trash to curse Hook. Hook threw the chip bag at him and left. Danhausen then ate the chips

lmao

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
When I first heard there was a Yuta/Mox match on Rampage, before I caught the results, I immediately thought it was a great chance to give someone an unexpected win and shoot them up to superstardom. It sounds like Yuta was massively over and they had a hell of a match, so ultimately I think he's getting a big boost despite the loss, but wrestling in general doesn't tend to do the surprise "low-card/rising talent beats a big deal main eventer" all that often (like, if it properly happens as a clean win once a year it's a rarity) and I think that's kind of a shame since it generally seems to work out quite well! 1-2-3 kid beating Razor worked well, and Ellsworth beating Styles was surprisingly entertaining. In general, I feel like almost any talent can eat a loss in a hard fought and well set-up match and still be seen as a big deal. To me the only time that should be off the table is when someone has a proper winning streak storyline going, ala Goldberg in WCW and Jade in AEW right now.

Brock beating Undertaker's streak is the gold standard of unexpected wins, but it's possible to create that same sort of feeling at any given time with much less of a buildup to it, while also giving the fans that "anything can happen" vibe. Wrestling will surprise me here and there regarding who wins, but in general on a standard weekly show I either know who's going to win or don't care all that much who wins. That feeling of not caring can be present even in insanely good wrestling matches; for example, I didn't particularly care who won the FTR/Bucks match on this week's dynamite. Conversely, if it was Best Friends vs. FTR for the titles, for instance, and instead of getting my expected FTR win the Best Friends won, that would have been a more exciting match result despite the match itself undoubtedly being of lower quality than FTR vs. the Bucks.

Anyway, Yuta/Mox got me thinking about this sort of thing, and now it has me hoping that we see this kind of "star making" moment with one of the top people in the company losing to a rising talent on a random Dynamite or Rampage. I think that dynamic works best with just a smidge of storyline buildup and a strong performance by the rising talent before the match they would win (Yuta had this going on leading into the Mox match) and without necessarily needing to get titles into the mix, so it seems like a useful tool to have on any wrestling booker's toolbelt.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i just hope they beat the poo poo out of each other.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Redemption for every single one of us on team ‘Sammy and Tay come off like the heels with this cum belt segment’

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Let's Go Cena Sammy!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Full Rampage spoilers

Bryan Danielson submits Trent Beretta
Hook won't answer any questions during an interview. Danhausen tries cursing him but gets the chips thrown at him. Hook leaves, Danhausen eats the chips
The Lambert promo is interrupted by Sammy and Conti
Swerve defeats QT Marshall. Postmatch Ricky Starks wants a tag match next week, him and Hobbs vs Swerve and Keith Lee
Red Velvet qualifies for the women's Owen tournament over Willow Nightingale
Moxley defeats Yuta. Postmatch Yuta shakes hands with each of Mox, Danielson and Regal, being welcomed into the Blackpool Combat Club

#TeamLambert #FuckYouSammy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The curse worked! Hook dropped his crisps!

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
The Yuta/Mox match is everything the internet is building it to be. Dunno if this will make tv, but when he was accepted in, he took the blood off his own face and wrote BCC across his chest. Boston has had two absolute bangers after Dynamite now with the Omega/Janela lights out match and now this.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
they really need to stop putting poo poo i want to watch on rampage

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kitten emergency posted:

Rampage is the A show

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

have you tried Watching Rampage?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i have better things to do on Friday night

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
there's 5 whole days to watch rampage before the next dynamite

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kitten emergency posted:

A) You're a goon, this seems unlikely
B) You can watch it on Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

is it magic the gathering

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GLOSS posted:

Dunno if this will make tv, but when he was accepted in, he took the blood off his own face and wrote BCC across his chest.

Goddamn, in what world would they not put that on the TV? That's your big thing right before you wrap up the show right there for sure! If you're okay with letting a guy gush blood during a match and airing it, you gotta allow that!

They can cut absolutely anything else for time as well, but they better leave that in :bahgawd:!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

kitten emergency posted:

You can watch rampage at the same time!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

KungFu Grip posted:

do dan lambert vs eddie kingston so eddie can rip into him. or blackpool combat club

I like the idea of Mox and Danielson beating Dan Lambert to death with his own arms, provided it gets him off my TV forever.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i record rampage and watch it saturday mornings with breakfast. goodbye

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

:same: and the highlights of this will be on Youtube later that weekend

Got my tickets booked for Everything Everywhere All At Once in theaters that night, gonna be fun :hellyeah:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Got my tickets booked for Everything Everywhere All At Once in theaters that night, gonna be fun :hellyeah:

Hell yeah don't want to build it up too much but I think it's wrecked me for movies for the rest of the year. It's so good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

Redemption for every single one of us on team ‘Sammy and Tay come off like the heels with this cum belt segment’

They said that as revenge for Dan calling Tay a whore, so that alone didn't bother me. But when they also broke his car, and then still held up signs a week later saying "we want revenge", it's like OK how much revenge do you really need? Lambert didn't escalate or get back at them in between those events.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

sticklefifer posted:

They said that as revenge for Dan calling Tay a whore, so that alone didn't bother me. But when they also broke his car, and then still held up signs a week later saying "we want revenge", it's like OK how much revenge do you really need? Lambert didn't escalate or get back at them in between those events.

Saying it wouldn't have been that bad. Just a crappy line. But posting the pic showing that they actually did have sex with the belt made it very icky.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
the cue card gimmick loving sucks too btw. like sorry you guys cant cut good promos but the cue card poo poo doesnt work

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He sucks on the stick op

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the cue cards are fine as a gimmick to cut a promo during a picture in picture commercial, they're just awkward if you're watching on fite when he's just standing there with his music on loop

progressing to drawing piles of poo poo and calling team lambert 'american plop team' is where things go really south. flashbacks to the worst wwe 'funny' segments

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I thought sammy was legitimately good as a kind of comedy relief guy in the inner circle. It suited his personality perfectly. His abysmal singing to Judas in the empty arena era is the reason people sing it now

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I like Sammy cause he’s constantly trying to murder himself with flips for my entertainment. I like Tay too cause she’s constantly trying to murder other people with kicks for my entertainment.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

the cue card gimmick loving sucks too btw. like sorry you guys cant cut good promos but the cue card poo poo doesnt work

This most recent one felt like it went on an eternity. After a while I was wondering if they were going for some kind of un-comedy Tim and Eric poo poo.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Aren’t the cue cards just a thing they do during the ad breaks though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it is but most of the goons are pirating or vpn'ing the international feed instead of watching like normal people and contributing to Good Number

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
its bad during picture in picture because i cant even read some of the signs half the time imo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
this but instead of cyber bullying it’s the cue card gimmick

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?s=20&t=1dgu_pz-MVyXgdauVA6ifg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I usually do walk away from the screen and/or close my eyes. I like his matches a lot though.