Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Poor Google, gonna end up in the poor house cos no one wants YouTube premium.

I mean, it is pretty funny when people continually complain about the advertising business model and then also don't opt in to a different business model when it is available.

What would be the business model you want from a video hosting provider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'd understand complaining about Twitch, five bux per channel you want to de-ad is preposterous, but Youtube Premium is a very reasonably priced out if you want to avoid ads.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

True. The other solution is that I just don't visit YouTube on my phone. What's your loving point here exactly?

I was going to say this, imo people should "engage" less with their phones.

but im' a weirdo that doesnt need to be in touch second to second for """""important stuff"""""" , also I use an old fashion fm radio, pocket size for my entertainment so your mileage might vary.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fool of sound posted:

I'd understand complaining about Twitch, five bux per channel you want to de-ad is preposterous, but Youtube Premium is a very reasonably priced out if you want to avoid ads.

you also get music (with the shittiest ui) and the youtube originals, most of which i assume were terrible but i thought impulse was honestly solid

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mega Comrade posted:

Poor Google, gonna end up in the poor house cos no one wants YouTube premium.

Why should I pay when Cobra Kai is now on Netflix :colbert:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

also I use an old fashion fm radio, pocket size for my entertainment so your mileage might vary.

What the gently caress

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jose Valasquez posted:

Having all the content on one service while costing $20 or less a month. :shepspends:

I want the one benefit of monopoly without the disadvantage of high pricing due to no competition.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

VideoGameVet posted:

I know the person who has the signed disc (by Andy) because he trained Warhol to do this at the launch of the Amiga in '85:

Estate's been holding this up for over a year.

Warhol: "In the future, every operating system will be viable for fifteen minutes."

Commodore Rep: "Yeah, that's great, Andy. Can we turn you a little more so that the Amiga fills up more of the frame?"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You can just use Kiwi browser or some other Chrome derived custom browser on your phone and then put ublock origin on it. Bam, no ads.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Q:

BlueBlazer posted:

I'd be curious what their actual authentication process is, and how their database has been authoritated.
A:

Xand_Man posted:

CLEAR is bribery. That's the business model.

There's nothing bigger there. If they're actually good at it that's just a bonus.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I mean, it is pretty funny when people continually complain about the advertising business model and then also don't opt in to a different business model when it is available.

For a hot minute, Google had Contributor, but sadly tis not to be.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

VideoGameVet posted:

Apparently there is a online-thing for medical records which kinda works, you give permission for medical records to be viewed by other doctors.

MyHealthRecord or something like that.

It works so well that the rep for a clinic asked my wife to just have her doctor fax the info because they couldn't locate it anyway.

Fax machines were invented in the 19th century (yeah, the originals were crude).

Meanwhile I'm surveying games that use NFT's and for the most part the games stink.

MyChart is big with UCSD and some other local providers have hopped on.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mercury_Storm posted:

You can just use Kiwi browser or some other Chrome derived custom browser on your phone and then put ublock origin on it. Bam, no ads.

Yeah this works well on Android. On ios Adguard and Hush gets an ad-free experience in the browser.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jose Valasquez posted:

fool of sound posted:

Google already decided that their business model is the exhaustive pathological datamining of every internet user across each click on every site they visit online, and then selling that data on or using that data to display targeted advertising. If they stop with the obsessive datamining and the poisonous adtech then I'll pay for their services.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Mark Zuckerberg Says Meta Employees “Lovingly” Refer to Him as “The Eye of Sauron”

quote:

“Some of the folks I work with at the company — they say this lovingly — but I think that they sometimes refer to my attention as the Eye of Sauron. You have this unending amount of energy to go work on something, and if you point that at any given team, you will just burn them.”

https://consequence.net/2022/04/mark-zuckerberg-eye-of-sauron/

Hes more and more like one of those feudal aristocrats just completely out of touch with reality/the common human. You'd almost think this was satire if he wasn't so oblivious.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Anyone work in Webpage development?
You might be getting a little bit of extra work coming your way soon

https://twitter.com/ianhamilton_/status/1511635807643316225

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

fool of sound posted:

Kind of sort of fair in micro, but it's hard to divorce this sort of assessment from the broader context wherein the modern advertising ecosystem has no value of any sort to any actual human being or business that is not a marketing agency. The business model of "do extra work to degrade service just enough that some people pay to avoid it" is a common but stupid one, and we should not give a pass to stupid antisocial things just because capitalism.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SerthVarnee posted:

Anyone work in Webpage development?
You might be getting a little bit of extra work coming your way soon

https://twitter.com/ianhamilton_/status/1511635807643316225

This is probably going to be tricky to comply with in practice. For example, does all content on a website have to be compliant (e.g. user-submitted content)?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

There Bias Two posted:

This is probably going to be tricky to comply with in practice. For example, does all content on a website have to be compliant (e.g. user-submitted content)?

There are sample cases provided in the guidelines which detail how corporations and other entities were made subject to ADA compliance reviews. It appears that it's enforced on a very individual level as people file ADA complaints against websites.

Looking at the cases the companies might have to pay a few thousand to the complainant and submit reports, so I imagine some companies might not bother.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 7, 2022

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

Kind of sort of fair in micro, but it's hard to divorce this sort of assessment from the broader context wherein the modern advertising ecosystem has no value of any sort to any actual human being or business that is not a marketing agency. The business model of "do extra work to degrade service just enough that some people pay to avoid it" is a common but stupid one, and we should not give a pass to stupid antisocial things just because capitalism.

Yeah I absolutely understand and agree with the critique of the system, but also there's no way of avoiding playing a part in that same ecosystem short of just not using the platform at all. Even if you block ads and mask yourself from personal analytics you're still contributing to engagement metrics that affect how the platform advertises and monetizes content. For the foreseeable future the internet is going to be financed by advertising, microtransactions, and/or subscriptions, and honestly? I think that last one is the least evil, especially as far as youtube is concerned.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
Cant wait for some old geocities page I made 20 years ago that still happens to be up somehow to get noticed by one of those nuisance ADA lawsuit guys and get I served with a lawsuit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cmerepaul posted:

Cant wait for some old geocities page I made 20 years ago that still happens to be up somehow to get noticed by one of those nuisance ADA lawsuit guys and get I served with a lawsuit.

Unless you are a public institution or a business open to the public it does not apply to you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Woolie Wool posted:

I've said it before that I think the endgame for crypto poo poo is to get state and corporate support for sweeping DRM regimes full of middleman positions that investors can buy into to extract rent from "owning" rights that they can sublet to others. The actual technical aspects of how NFTs and the blockchain work aren't really that important compared to the idea of "owning the fastest Mario" that they can license to others.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given how many sites are barely usable as is I wonder how this might impact ad-infested news sites and stores, and social services websites that are deliberately set up to be as inconvenient and near impossible to use as they can manage.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Just slap some aria attributes on your components, label your icons, have a sane tab-index and maintain a 4.5:1 contrast ratio.

poo poo isn't hard, I've never understood why (usually junior) devs complain about accessibility. You're supposed to want as many people as possible to be able to use your stuff.

Also this has been the law in the EU for years so most international companies are already gonna be on top of it.

blunt fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 7, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah I'm a EU UK based dev and we've had to do this stuff for years. Its really not hard to implement.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Irony.or.Death posted:

The other way of looking at that business model is "offering a paid product/service for free if you're willing to jump through a few hoops." I doubt most folks fly into a blind rage when Sublime Text prompts them to consider purchasing a license key every few times they start up the program. Same concept, though, I'll admit, considerably different in the degree to which their nagware scheme affects users.

There's no service out there that is hosting user-submitted videos because they think it's important that you can access Mr. Beast or whatever. They're doing it to make money, and incidentally this has allowed a limited number of creators to also earn some money. I think the "broader context" you reference is kind of irrelevant. It doesn't matter if advertising has no value, it's the only realistic revenue source that makes a free (to viewers/creators) video sharing site possible.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Sure, but it also doesn't really matter to anyone anywhere in the system whether it's an actual human watching those ads. I mean yes some people need to pretend to care and depending on which quarter we're in there will be more/less effective checks in place to enforce that pretend-care, but it's a net benefit to everyone involved if all the humans watching video run adblock and all the advertisements go to scripts hitting the page 100 times/second.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The fact that advertising is a viable way to fund so much creative content when the vast majority of ads are at worst being viewed by bots or blocked outright, and at best being ignored by uninterested humans should really be a clue that there’s a huge amount of money sloshing about that could just be directly gifted to creators without all the extra unproductive steps of creating, targeting, and displaying ads.

Eventually the industry will come to its senses and collectively realise that adtech provides no value and the entire adtech sector will come to be seen as the greatest con of the 21st century. It probably won’t happen until after we all have tracking nanobots in our retinas to analyse the profit potential from every saccade though

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

TACD posted:

The fact that advertising is a viable way to fund so much creative content when the vast majority of ads are at worst being viewed by bots or blocked outright, and at best being ignored by uninterested humans should really be a clue that there’s a huge amount of money sloshing about that could just be directly gifted to creators without all the extra unproductive steps of creating, targeting, and displaying ads.

Eventually the industry will come to its senses and collectively realise that adtech provides no value and the entire adtech sector will come to be seen as the greatest con of the 21st century. It probably won’t happen until after we all have tracking nanobots in our retinas to analyse the profit potential from every saccade though

We've already seen a pretty big bottom falling out of the ad industry in the early 2000s when tracking tech got good enough to tell us that pretty much nobody cared about these ads and getting a pile of money for "reach up to a couple hundred thousand people" when in reality like five people even cared was silly.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Irony.or.Death posted:

Sure, but it also doesn't really matter to anyone anywhere in the system whether it's an actual human watching those ads. I mean yes some people need to pretend to care and depending on which quarter we're in there will be more/less effective checks in place to enforce that pretend-care, but it's a net benefit to everyone involved if all the humans watching video run adblock and all the advertisements go to scripts hitting the page 100 times/second.

I'm so confused as to what this means and how you think video ads work. An ad blocker prevents the ad from running entirely, meaning nobody is paying for that ad slot, so I think a creator would disagree that it'd be a net benefit to them if all of their viewers ran ad blockers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Neito posted:

We've already seen a pretty big bottom falling out of the ad industry in the early 2000s when tracking tech got good enough to tell us that pretty much nobody cared about these ads and getting a pile of money for "reach up to a couple hundred thousand people" when in reality like five people even cared was silly.

Yeah that's the biggest thing: The entire ad industry is a reactive machine, not a proactive one. They run ads, sales increases, and they claim it was a success, but studies show the ads have little to no bearing on actual sales increases, but Management sees the increases and assumes correlation = causation.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah that's the biggest thing: The entire ad industry is a reactive machine, not a proactive one. They run ads, sales increases, and they claim it was a success, but studies show the ads have little to no bearing on actual sales increases, but Management sees the increases and assumes correlation = causation.

Do they? I know there's the ebay one that gets thrown around but that wasn't a particularly convincing study

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jose Valasquez posted:

Do they? I know there's the ebay one that gets thrown around but that wasn't a particularly convincing study

I'll try to find the studies, but to summarize: A couple studies showed that more people actively were repulsed from buying the product in the ad because people hate ads more than they like to buy products. And its an incredibly lasting effect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've mentioned before trying to link to a product on the official Lego store had people without adblockers complaining because the store site is more interested in showing them ads than the actual product that someone might want to buy. They literally won't let you spend money without having to look at more ads.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

What did that count as "Advertising", though? I don't doubt the study, but I've also heard studies that say things like "People's decision to buy a car is overwhelmingly influanced toward the one they last saw an advertisement for", and also there's things like those stealth articles in magazines, paying streamers to play games, or even just good old fashioned shelf arranging (that's why Frito-Lay and Coke will often handle that kind of stuff for a supermarket and sometimes even smaller stores).

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Not sure I buy that ads are bad or neutral for sales. Plenty of idiot marketing managers out there but there are also smart ones who know how to do an experiment and measure success and they’re still buying ads. What seems more true is that the effect of online ads on purchasing decisions is extremely low, thousand and thousands of views might translate into one sale. But this is priced in right now: online ad buys are incredibly cheap and this is why publishers have to chase tens or hundreds of thousands of page views just to be able to pay the writer minimum wage for their work, and even still they’re slashing costs year by year to make it viable in the current market.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TACD posted:

When will society as a whole come to its senses and realize that money is all made up and trying to keep accounts of real things with symbolic tokens of a ghostly magic called "value" that supposedly exists in a finite quantity, despite sovereigns and banks creating and destroying arbitrary amounts of it whenever they want, is absurd?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 7, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Woolie Wool posted:

When will society as a whole come to its senses and realize that money is all made up and trying to keep accounts of real things with symbolic tokens of a ghostly magic called "value" that supposedly exists in a finite quantity, despite sovereigns and banks creating and destroying arbitrary amounts of it whenever they want, is absurd?

When people stop getting ejected from every form of power for saying this.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TACD posted:

There's already data showing that contextual advertising (just displaying the same ad for everyone who reads a certain article online, so like an ad for an airline on a travel piece) is more profitable for publishers than targeted advertising, mostly because of the enormous cut the ad brokers take to serve each user different ads: https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/03/stop_tracking_increase_revenue_effectiveness/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Baronash posted:

I'm so confused as to what this means and how you think video ads work. An ad blocker prevents the ad from running entirely, meaning nobody is paying for that ad slot, so I think a creator would disagree that it'd be a net benefit to them if all of their viewers ran ad blockers.

As long as the ad buyer is currently failing to distinguish between bot viewers and human viewers the content creator gets paid the same for both types. Their human viewers who are not seeing ads are happier and more likely to stick around to contribute to secondary positive-value activities: likes, subscriptions, donations, whatever. As long as the ad buyer doesn't know what's happening it's all the same to them, as their well being is based on internal marketing rather than anything to do with their pretend-engagement with the outside world. So if we want to ignore context, the right thing to do is probably just running a botnet.