Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

MH covers are round so that they can be replaced without having to align them with the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

boar guy posted:

edit why does every mba put that poo poo in their email signature and on their card? i have a real ma in education and i dont brag about it

galaxy brain move is putting your (MBA/B.CompSci) in your pronouns field on Linkedin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The pb&j question falls apart with the very simple counter response of "please define a pb&j"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The ônly good cops are game wardens and OSHA inspectors

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

The pb&j question falls apart with the very simple counter response of "please define a pb&j"

Penis, butt, & jacking it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Suddenly that UCB sketch about the guy getting interviewed at the family restaurant and getting asked about how he'd get a tray of ice makes way more sense.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

evilpicard posted:

I think the "right" answer is so it won't fall in

But the real answer is probably just because the hole is round / it's always been done that way and no one knows why

I'm not googling to find out for real though becasuse these questions are bad and anyone using them in an interview is bad

the real answer is that you only need a round cap for a round pipe

any other consideration is incidental

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's because the Ninja Turtles's shells are round.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Answer brain teaser questions with the answer to a different brain teaser to assert dominance

*lightbulb question*
"You don't bury survivors"

*manhole question*
"The surgeon is the patient's mother"

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the real answer is that you only need a round cap for a round pipe

any other consideration is incidental

Only if you're retrofitting. If you're installing a new one you can buy a rectangular collar if the local regs allow.

I love how much this question is rarking me up because I've got so much experience in opening the drat things. I'm imagining spending the entire interview enumerating more and more reasons round covers are superior and becoming more and more abrasive "Actually, manholes come in many shapes and even round ones are usually 1050 or 1600mm in diameter. The only important consideration in the shape of the lid and collar is that the throat supports it and has rungs close enough to put one's feet on. Didn't think of that, did we? Haven't spent much time in construction, have you Sergei? Perhaps you should have studied less flute and hung around drainlayers some more, eh Larry?" Then Brin tries to hit me in the face and I knock him out with a manhole key and run Larry through with a utility spear.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Jaguars! posted:

a utility spear.

I'm intrigued now.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

evilpicard posted:

The ônly good cops are game wardens and OSHA inspectors

and american mail cops

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i got a version of the pb&j that is somehow even more pedantic, in the form of what happens when you enter google dot com onto your browser address bar and hit enter

thankfully i had heard of this before

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

champagne posting posted:

and american mail cops
Ehhhhh mall cops in my hometown were a bunch of dickbags.
Fish and Game peeps are pretty cool, yeah.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

DreadUnknown posted:

Ehhhhh mall cops in my hometown were a bunch of dickbags.
Fish and Game peeps are pretty cool, yeah.

Even Paul Blart?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jaguars! posted:

Only if you're retrofitting. If you're installing a new one you can buy a rectangular collar if the local regs allow.

I love how much this question is rarking me up because I've got so much experience in opening the drat things. I'm imagining spending the entire interview enumerating more and more reasons round covers are superior and becoming more and more abrasive "Actually, manholes come in many shapes and even round ones are usually 1050 or 1600mm in diameter. The only important consideration in the shape of the lid and collar is that the throat supports it and has rungs close enough to put one's feet on. Didn't think of that, did we? Haven't spent much time in construction, have you Sergei? Perhaps you should have studied less flute and hung around drainlayers some more, eh Larry?" Then Brin tries to hit me in the face and I knock him out with a manhole key and run Larry through with a utility spear.

the corner portions of any square manhole collar don't cover the aperture and are therefore wasted metal for the covering plate, which is paid for by the pound

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Escape From Noise posted:

I wish I got just phone calls. Here in Osaka I get people ringing my intercom to my apartment. I guess next time I should threaten to kill them or something? I've been telling them I don't feel well and hanging up on them like an idiot!

I was in a car wreck on January 26th and on January 27th I got 7 phone calls from lawyers, someone came to my house first thing in the morning offering 'accident remediation services' and on January 28th I had letters from 6 different lawyers.

It took me until February to get my own copy of the police report.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

New coworker is doing alright but having trouble getting through to them to please use the desktop computer with two monitors instead of their tiny underpowered laptop when in the office, and that they should have the same set up when working from home.

I'm not trying to get them to up their widget output it's just a basic sanity preserving option that our MegaCorp has no problem paying for. Like watching someone complain it takes forever to water their lawn with the thimble they are filling up in their kitchen as they step over a hose.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

huh I always thought the manhole covers being round was because there's no way for it to fall in the manhole and kill the person working down below

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
management material is defined as a "man (or woman) shaped hole"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

management material is defined as a "man (or woman) shaped hole"

Manholes are round because they were meant for me

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

AceClown posted:

huh I always thought the manhole covers being round was because there's no way for it to fall in the manhole and kill the person working down below

that is the canonical correct answer, yes

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

AceClown posted:

you're going to be really sad when you hear the truth about Santa Claus.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

evilpicard posted:

The ônly good cops are game wardens

nah

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
ACAB especially includes park rangers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AceClown posted:

that would also be true of a square manhole

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

What now?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Rotate a square manhole cover 45 degrees. Then put it on end, maintaining the same direction you turned it in. Then watch as you can freely drop it through the square opening.

Something below the opening might catch it. That "something" might be a person.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

zombienietzsche posted:

ACAB especially includes park rangers

A buddy was doing that for a while and the ACAB part wasn't his fault, the state implemented a strict parking pass rule so a big chunk of his workday went from trail maintenance and helping visitors (including saving a guy with the defib machine) to roaming the parking lots giving out tickets to unhappy families. That, combined with the job paying near poverty wages led to a career change.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got a couple friends who are/were park Rangers and my impression is that the good ones tend to really not like the law enforcement side of it. One of em is the head LEO for a national park and is the least cop person I know, and doesn't like the cop part of it. Another one changed careers because the cop part sucked so much.

I work on public lands a lot (National Park, wildlife refuges) and know both Rangers (gun, badge, kevlar) and rangers (park visitor resources, can write minor tickets, tell you to put the cooler in the car). Some of em suck, like staking out in the woods in quiet campgrounds trying to bust people for smoking a bowl around a campfire, snooping around vehicles and looking in windows to see what they can find in consoles to bust you for, or unlawfully going through your tent (yes this happened to a terrified college student technician). Others will take their uniform off at the end of the day and come sit in camp and drink beer with me.
Last year a little r ranger gave my field crew a bunch of self important poo poo for taking the nicest campsite in the campground and was shortly thereafter disciplined by the Ranger on my behalf and relocated to another park entirely I think.

I've never known a wildlife cop who wasn't a cop first and actually yeah just a cop with green jeans. Cops with scenery.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've got a couple friends who are/were park Rangers and my impression is that the good ones tend to really not like the law enforcement side of it. One of em is the head LEO for a national park and is the least cop person I know, and doesn't like the cop part of it. Another one changed careers because the cop part sucked so much.

I work on public lands a lot (National Park, wildlife refuges) and know both Rangers (gun, badge, kevlar) and rangers (park visitor resources, can write minor tickets, tell you to put the cooler in the car). Some of em suck, like staking out in the woods in quiet campgrounds trying to bust people for smoking a bowl around a campfire, snooping around vehicles and looking in windows to see what they can find in consoles to bust you for, or unlawfully going through your tent (yes this happened to a terrified college student technician). Others will take their uniform off at the end of the day and come sit in camp and drink beer with me.
Last year a little r ranger gave my field crew a bunch of self important poo poo for taking the nicest campsite in the campground and was shortly thereafter disciplined by the Ranger on my behalf and relocated to another park entirely I think.

I've never known a wildlife cop who wasn't a cop first and actually yeah just a cop with green jeans. Cops with scenery.

How does one become a little r ranger? I want to hang out in parks and camp till I die and write people tickets for not cleaning up their sites.

gently caress you, pack it out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

How does one become a little r ranger? I want to hang out in parks and camp till I die and write people tickets for not cleaning up their sites.

The jobs are usually seasonal, but you can find them on USAJobs.gov. I don’t know what the preferred/required qualifications are, and naturally the positions at cool parks are more competitive. But I think if you have outdoor experience, willingness to live on site, and work for pretty low pay the chances of getting a gig are not terrible.
One of my ranger friends is a river ranger, and he gets to raft through a big western river with lots of whitewater for 10 day shifts all summer talking to private and commercially guided raft trips. He does rescues and checks cooler temperatures and tells dummies to put life jackets on the kids and such. He had to demonstrate a lot of years of backcountry work and whitewater experience to get that one. Another dude I met was a diversity hire, a black guy from a city, first time living in a wilderness area. He worked mainly campgrounds and vehicle-accessible locations just because of less backcountry experience and within a season got promoted up to more interesting wilderness stuff.
The ranger at one of my spots last year was a retired astronaut.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My interactions with CO's (conservation officers) have been pretty good. But my interactions with cops have also been pretty good. It's probably just a coincidence that I'm a white guy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Armitag3 posted:

i got a version of the pb&j that is somehow even more pedantic, in the form of what happens when you enter google dot com onto your browser address bar and hit enter

thankfully i had heard of this before
huh, were you interviewing for Twitch right around when Amazon bought them or did two human beings independently decide that this was a good question to ask

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

huh, were you interviewing for Twitch right around when Amazon bought them or did two human beings independently decide that this was a good question to ask

i think it was a fairly common tech trivia in interviews for a while

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You should fail the PB&J on purpose with style. "To make a PB&J you must first have a big bang. Then allow the universal material to condense to atoms. Begin stellar synthesis..."

Is it the wrong answer because you willfully misinterpreted the scope of the question and are missing the sense of scale to keep responses brief and relevant? Yes. Will they be tired of hearing the big bang response as a joke? Yes. Will they change their questions up to get something unique? Never. Will you get the job? Do you really want it?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

How much do you like living in the woods/at your job? Through a combination of everyone wanting to just maintain parks as their job and government funding issues, an entry level position is minimum wage and requirements tend toward a conservation or other vaguely appropriate undergrad degree or else demonstrated conservation, handyman and mechanic skills, or other vaguely useful physical abilities.

Alternately be rich and buy yourself a camp host volunteer position.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

my boss does this cool thing where when he has something for me to look at, usually a document is what im talking about here, he'll making a rumbly motor sound even though he is just walking but in the sound it sounds like a car and he'll rumble walk up to my desk and, get ready, go PAST it a pace or two. He then stops while making a screeching brake sound with his mouth and then a clunky sound which he told me later is him shifting to reverse. He backs up a pace and drops off the document. Then, as if nothing happened, he walks away soundlessly (soundless regarding the car sounds, he wears very puffy Osiris shoes that are pretty noisy with how he walks)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SkyeAuroline posted:

Rotate a square manhole cover 45 degrees. Then put it on end, maintaining the same direction you turned it in. Then watch as you can freely drop it through the square opening.

Something below the opening might catch it. That "something" might be a person.

lol at the idea that rotation is what you need to demonstrate this, pipes are round lmao

a manhole that is square would obviously have to be larger than the inside diameter of the pipe, even at its narrowest point or else lol you just have a open pipe with a lid that's too small

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 7, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The jobs are usually seasonal, but you can find them on USAJobs.gov. I don’t know what the preferred/required qualifications are, and naturally the positions at cool parks are more competitive. But I think if you have outdoor experience, willingness to live on site, and work for pretty low pay the chances of getting a gig are not terrible.
One of my ranger friends is a river ranger, and he gets to raft through a big western river with lots of whitewater for 10 day shifts all summer talking to private and commercially guided raft trips. He does rescues and checks cooler temperatures and tells dummies to put life jackets on the kids and such. He had to demonstrate a lot of years of backcountry work and whitewater experience to get that one. Another dude I met was a diversity hire, a black guy from a city, first time living in a wilderness area. He worked mainly campgrounds and vehicle-accessible locations just because of less backcountry experience and within a season got promoted up to more interesting wilderness stuff.
The ranger at one of my spots last year was a retired astronaut.

Those sound like good guys. Were those all national parks? My friend was a state park ranger and the low pay plus "new hires get sent to least desirable spots" meant that his co-rangers weren't always the best and brightest. One straight up stole a big fridge from their break room to give to a friend who owned a bar. He skipped the whole cover your tracks step so it was only a mystery for a few minutes until their supervisor checked who had access to the breakroom in that time frame and started with the dumbest guy and he cracked immediately. I guess his plan was to hope they didn't notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

You should fail the PB&J on purpose with style. "To make a PB&J you must first have a big bang. Then allow the universal material to condense to atoms. Begin stellar synthesis..."

When I got asked it, I started by asking "Are you looking for like the computer programmer version where I need to instantiate bread, or do you just want to know how I made my lunch?"