Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm kind of surprised that wireless still hasn't advanced yet.
It's either being pit to use in stuff like the Sony HT-A virtualized 4 speaker system or in sound bars, where you have them connect and draw power from a wireless sub.

For what it's worth, the Vizio Elevate had very decent surrounds, either the wireless sub being pretty solid compared to their 2016 offerings.

Problem with true wireless surrounds is either charging them, hooking them into power, or using a standard that works and won't drop out .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FilthyImp posted:

It's either being pit to use in stuff like the Sony HT-A virtualized 4 speaker system or in sound bars, where you have them connect and draw power from a wireless sub.

For what it's worth, the Vizio Elevate had very decent surrounds, either the wireless sub being pretty solid compared to their 2016 offerings.

My biggest problem with most wireless systems on the market is that they’re being designed and sold as individual packages instead of ecosystems.

So you buy Soundbar A and it comes with its two wireless surround speakers—and when Soundbar A dies or needs upgrading, or one of the surround speakers dies or starts acting weird, you gotta go replace the entire system.

SONOS will at least let you add/remove speakers at your own whim, and build stuff into surround systems and multi-room, but even that is subject to poo poo like software compatibility and hardware generations.

They got into a big beef with a lot of their users in the past for sunsetting certain products and/or obsolescing older products and shutting them out of previously-held functionality.

I think they ultimately relented in the most potentially-damaging case but it still goes to show the value of dumb wired electronics that work for decades and don’t rely on poo poo like connectivity and snitch protocols to work.

It also speaks to the gently caress-You-Customer attitude that a lot of these tech companies keep under the thinnest of veils.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
While I've never used Sonos it's worth mentioning that Ikea has a few Sonos compatible speakers including some that are thinner and look interesting on a wall.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-picture-frame-with-wi-fi-speaker-black-40487320/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black-00357561/

But for the wireless rear use case I'd think just a wired to wireless converter would work and some self amplified speakers. But then you may be adjusting all of the different levels at that point.

Maybe there's just a tiny received or all in one home theater in a box for this?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What's a decent, cheapish sub I can put under a desk in my office? I got a pair of Jamo 801pm's a couple weeks ago but the low end is non existent. Crutchfield has a Jamo one on sale for $200 right now but that's more than I'd ideally spend. I'm not looking to shake the room, I just want something that'll give a little extra kick.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yoohoo posted:

What's a decent, cheapish sub I can put under a desk in my office? I got a pair of Jamo 801pm's a couple weeks ago but the low end is non existent. Crutchfield has a Jamo one on sale for $200 right now but that's more than I'd ideally spend. I'm not looking to shake the room, I just want something that'll give a little extra kick.

how much room you got?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The room is 11x9 and I’ve got a large desk so I could fit pretty much anything under it, but I don’t want anything ginormous.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I need some help with my first A/V system-- was thinking about getting a pair of Triangle Borea BR08 and a good receiver to match up with my Samsung QN90A. I'm limited on space and can't add other speakers (may add a sub later).

Is this a pretty good set up for TV & music?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Leo posted:

I need some help with my first A/V system-- was thinking about getting a pair of Triangle Borea BR08 and a good receiver to match up with my Samsung QN90A. I'm limited on space and can't add other speakers (may add a sub later).

Is this a pretty good set up for TV & music?

yes

I would probably also add a sub for that cinematic thump tho

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I've got a Sony receiver in my garage for radio and a raspberry pi for music. The fm radio portion seems to have died, swapping antennas does not fix it, something is broken in the receiver itself. Are there any inexpensive fm tuners that can plug into an RCA jack?

The receiver works fine, just the but that connects the antenna is dead.

I saw there are 100$ units, is that all there is?

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 25, 2022

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Dyscrasia posted:

I've got a Sony receiver in my garage for radio and a raspberry pi for music. The fm radio portion seems to have died, swapping antennas does not fix it, something is broken in the receiver itself. Are there any inexpensive fm tuners that can plug into an RCA jack?

The receiver works fine, just the but that connects the antenna is dead.

I saw there are 100$ units, is that all there is?

If you don't need fancy, would bet you could find some kind of radio with RCA out for mad cheap on CL/FB Marketplace/pawn shop/etc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yoohoo posted:

I think everything that cheap is roughly similar, subs are expensive because they’re made of lots of materials and are expensive to ship. Maybe a parts express DIY kit?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

If you don't need fancy, would bet you could find some kind of radio with RCA out for mad cheap on CL/FB Marketplace/pawn shop/etc

Or any FM radio with headphone output plus this $4 cable https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5597

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

yoohoo posted:

Slim subwoofer to double as a footrest?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35847

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

yoohoo posted:

Used SVS SB-1000?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Used SVS SB-1000?

Seconding this, if you can find one. Very happy with the SVS SB-12 Plus I bought used back in 2015, I don't see a need to replace it anytime soon.
(You'll probably have to pay more than $200, but it's worth it).

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Anyone here have an experience with the Polk Signature Elite ES20? Considering getting them and a micca amp in the eventual future.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ChazTurbo posted:

Anyone here have an experience with the Polk Signature Elite ES20? Considering getting them and a micca amp in the eventual future.

I haven’t heard them but signs point to them being good. You might want to look at the 15 also, the 20s are big boys.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks for the sub advice, the SVS is my shortlist for my main setup, but it would 100% be overkill for my office. I was thinking something more along the lines of what Klipsch uses in their 2.1 promedia set. Something just big enough to remind me that music is supposed to have a low end because I can’t emphasize enough how lacking the speakers are there. The monoprice one could be what I’m looking for - I’ll take a closer look at that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yoohoo posted:

Thanks for the sub advice, the SVS is my shortlist for my main setup, but it would 100% be overkill for my office. I was thinking something more along the lines of what Klipsch uses in their 2.1 promedia set. Something just big enough to remind me that music is supposed to have a low end because I can’t emphasize enough how lacking the speakers are there. The monoprice one could be what I’m looking for - I’ll take a closer look at that.

If the thing is spending the least money, just grab a Polk PSW10 for like $120 new or whatever. It’ll be more than adequate for desktop.

I bought a fancier Polk 8” for $60 off of Craigslist about a decade ago, and it’s been excellent for anchoring a bunch of bedroom, desktop, and even the occasional tiny living room 2.1 setups over the years. If you can find something decent used, that’ll be your best bet.

Alternatively if you really want to get something made for your specific dimensional specs, you could always try building an 8” or 10” sub from, say, Parts Express, for very little money.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Since Klipsch just got mentioned: would this be a good place to ask for a computer speakers recommendation? My ancient Promedia 2.1 set has finally, permanently given up the ghost after multiple resurrections.

I'd like either a pair with decent low end or a 2.1 with a small sub. They'll generally be used for stuff other than music (YouTube etc) but when I do listen to music it's heavier (metal, industrial, etc.)

Honestly, I really liked how the Klipsch set sounded, but (a) the wiring was always finicky and prone to failure at the slightest nudge, and (b) the sub feels huge under my small desk.

I'm not dead-set on getting a "set" so I'm fine with a mix and match approach. It just seems that a bookshelf + sub + amp would be overkill for the application. Any suggestions?

edit: forgot to mention budget. Let's say <$200?

Trabant fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 3, 2022

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Trabant posted:

Since Klipsch just got mentioned: would this be a good place to ask for a computer speakers recommendation? My ancient Promedia 2.1 set has finally, permanently given up the ghost after multiple resurrections.

I'd like either a pair with decent low end or a 2.1 with a small sub. They'll generally be used for stuff other than music (YouTube etc) but when I do listen to music it's heavier (metal, industrial, etc.)

Honestly, I really liked how the Klipsch set sounded, but (a) the wiring was always finicky and prone to failure at the slightest nudge, and (b) the sub feels huge under my small desk.

I'm not dead-set on getting a "set" so I'm fine with a mix and match approach. It just seems that a bookshelf + sub + amp would be overkill for the application. Any suggestions?

edit: forgot to mention budget. Let's say <$200?

Look at studio monitors. Maybe you could afford something on the low end?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Look at studio monitors. Maybe you could afford something on the low end?

$200 will get you a pair of 305P Mk2s on sale if OP can wait for such a sale

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you both -- I'll look into monitors.

To be honest, I pulled <$200 mostly out of thin air and because the newest version of Klipsch 2.1 retails for ~$130. If the price floor for good speakers these days is higher than that, I'm OK with bumping it up.

Oh, there is also the limitation of physical size because small desk (small office, small condo) strikes again. Something with a footprint of 6"x6" or less would be best.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trabant posted:

Thank you both -- I'll look into monitors.

To be honest, I pulled <$200 mostly out of thin air and because the newest version of Klipsch 2.1 retails for ~$130. If the price floor for good speakers these days is higher than that, I'm OK with bumping it up.

Oh, there is also the limitation of physical size because small desk (small office, small condo) strikes again. Something with a footprint of 6"x6" or less would be best.

If monitors are too big/cumbersome to deal with (I’m staring at my 305s right now and thinking they’re probably on the bigger side for you), I’d go with Audioengine.

The A1/A2/A2+ would be perfect for your needs, or their bigger siblings if you can swing it. If you can afford to add the sub, I say maybe go for it (or you could always add it later), but I think bigger 2.0 >> satellite 2.1 for perceived meatiness of sound without a weird midrange.

Plus most satellite desktop subs just send their range-limited bass into the floor/your feet while you get the shrill satellites blasting you in the face.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I bought these a couple years ago to replace my old Philips 2.1 that finally died: Monoprice DT-4BT

They sound great! Plenty of low end but they're still balanced. I don't use the Bluetooth at all, they are just 3.5mm into my PC.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I went from Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s to Audioengine A2s and the sound characteristics couldn’t be more different. Even equalized and raised off the table, the A2s have a far more recessed, rounded off sound that doesn’t sparkle like the Klipsch. They look beautiful and sound good with certain types of music, but overall I still miss my Klipsch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tacier posted:

I went from Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s to Audioengine A2s and the sound characteristics couldn’t be more different. Even equalized and raised off the table, the A2s have a far more recessed, rounded off sound that doesn’t sparkle like the Klipsch. They look beautiful and sound good with certain types of music, but overall I still miss my Klipsch.

makes sense, seeing as how the ProMedias would still probably aim to have a Klipsch house sound like their stereo/home theater speaker counterparts

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

CloFan posted:

I bought these a couple years ago to replace my old Philips 2.1 that finally died: Monoprice DT-4BT

They sound great! Plenty of low end but they're still balanced. I don't use the Bluetooth at all, they are just 3.5mm into my PC.

Those are unfortunately a bit too chunky for my rinky-dink desk, but I appreciate the rec :)

Tacier posted:

See, this makes me wonder if I should just bite the bullet and get another Klipsch pair, but this time pre-emptively rewire the back of the woofer to prevent it slowly falling apart.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's been fun going to listen to lots of different speakers! For my basic 3.1 setup for the lounge room leaning towards the Kef Q950. Compared to the BW they sounded just as good for half the price.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

V for Vegas posted:

It's been fun going to listen to lots of different speakers! For my basic 3.1 setup for the lounge room leaning towards the Kef Q950. Compared to the BW they sounded just as good for half the price.

I just had a chance to demo a bunch of speakers for the first time at a Best Buy Magnolia and the Q950s were my favorite too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you’ve got the room for them the Q950s are a good deal, they are more efficient than the smaller Q speakers.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
After hearing from a few people that surround just isn't worth it, and a good 2.1 setup for home theatre is great, I feel like I'm doing something wrong when I try to find a receiver for such a setup.

AV receivers are full of HDMI ports I have no use for. While I may plug a games console in in the future, I could plug that directly into one of the many hdmi inputs on the TV itself.

Stereo receivers don't tend to have digital optical inputs, which looks like the only audio output my TV has. And also very few of those have a sub output.

Do I just give up and buy a drat soundbar instead?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Using a surround receiver in stereo is fine, you’ll actually get the rated wattage! Plus most dedicated 2 channel gear doesn’t have good bass management. Stereo gear sells in lower volume so it’s more expensive.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah my Denon supports surround and I'm running it in 2.0 and its great.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yep, just get the home theater receiver. Even if you don't need all the extra inputs and outputs now, they may come in handy some day. These things usually last until you outgrow them - I'm still using a Yamaha from the late 90s that I bought with high school summer job money and slowly built into a 3.1 that I still have set up in a room today. It's done 2.0 and 5.1 duty in that time period as well.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 6, 2022

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Ok, it's just all those very unnecessary hdmi ports made me feel like I was paying a premium for something I don't intend to use. There are no audio-only surround receivers available?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're supposed to go Source -> Receiver -> TV, not source -> TV -> Receiver. It's how they're designed to work.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

Ok, it's just all those very unnecessary hdmi ports made me feel like I was paying a premium for something I don't intend to use. There are no audio-only surround receivers available?

It's like asking for a 3 ounce can of beer because you want a sip. It's something almost no one wants, just buy the 12 ounce can.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

KillHour posted:

You're supposed to go Source -> Receiver -> TV, not source -> TV -> Receiver. It's how they're designed to work.

Except that since the majority of video content is now served via smart TV apps, this is no longer really true. with eARC, it shouldn't matter as much which order you plug things in, however in reality having an extra layer of complexity between the source and the amplifier isn't ideal, provided the receiver has the ability to pass through content with the same capabilities that the TV can receive (HDR/4K120/8K60)

For a lot of people, HDMI 2.1 receivers still aren't available/affordable, so you might find a mix and match, or people using eARC/ARC exclusively and the TV as the source switcher so they can get their 4k120 game on.

2-3 HDMI inputs are probably enough for most people now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

After hearing from a few people that surround just isn't worth it, and a good 2.1 setup for home theatre is great, I feel like I'm doing something wrong when I try to find a receiver for such a setup.

AV receivers are full of HDMI ports I have no use for. While I may plug a games console in in the future, I could plug that directly into one of the many hdmi inputs on the TV itself.

Stereo receivers don't tend to have digital optical inputs, which looks like the only audio output my TV has. And also very few of those have a sub output.

Do I just give up and buy a drat soundbar instead?

I’m going to be the single voice of dissent here and say that there are quite a few 2-channel receivers with optical TOSlink inputs and sub outputs built in (Yamaha AS-xxx series, IOTAVX, etc).

and for those that don’t have onboard TOSlink, you can relatively easily get a DAC to handle that.

I agree that having HDMI is probably worth it for most normie users in most cases (obviously if I want to use my vintage gear I’m not going to be using it, but also I’m a weirdo hobbyist), but it’s not 100% the only way.

There are plenty of reasons why somebody would/should prefer to go with TOSlink+2.channel, or use an existing setup, and I wouldn’t be like “no scrap all that. You absolutely need HDMI”.

Even with certain older 5.1 channel setups, sometimes the most economical/sensible solution by far is to keep the existing receiver. The difference in available surround codec isn’t going to be hugely palpable to a lot of users.