Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

tactlessbastard posted:

I've been on a bit of a UK media binge lately and something I've picked up on is one of the annoying advertising tropes there (like 'we're calling about your car's warranty' is, here) is getting calls about changing your gas supplier.

Are they talking about natural gas? Like, for heat and ovens? And how on earth can you change suppliers? The gas companies own the pipe to your house.

Unless you can tell me everyone is running off a private tank filled by trucks which is just :psyduck:

You can do that in (parts of) the US too, go go energy deregulation

http://www.energyshop.com/es/faq/dereg.cfm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

tactlessbastard posted:

I've been on a bit of a UK media binge lately and something I've picked up on is one of the annoying advertising tropes there (like 'we're calling about your car's warranty' is, here) is getting calls about changing your gas supplier.

Are they talking about natural gas? Like, for heat and ovens? And how on earth can you change suppliers? The gas companies own the pipe to your house.

Unless you can tell me everyone is running off a private tank filled by trucks which is just :psyduck:

There's a national gas pipeline network connected to most homes, and many different companies act as wholesalers for the gas that goes into it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tactlessbastard posted:

I've been on a bit of a UK media binge lately

You'd best stop before you get permanent brain damage

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, what Sweevo said. Electricity and Gas suppliers buy energy from the generating/producing companies and sell it to the consumer. There is no reason to do it this way other than it allows energy suppliers to exist without having to own any pesky capital or infrastructure they have to maintain. This means that the electricity I currently get is the same electricity as my neighbour, but whereas my rates are fixed until the end of 2023, theirs might have gone up by a huge amount when the government lifted the price cap on variable tarrifs at the start of the month.

It gets even worse for large businesses as there are third party intermediaries who find the best rates for their clients and take a slice off the top. So companies pay another company to pay a company to give them electricity that they bought from a generating company.

Oh and the power lines and gas pipes are owned by a different company. Which the suppliers have to pay into once they reach a certain number of customers, so there's incentive for energy firms to remain small, which is how come we keep having loads of them go bust.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It's an actual issue here in Central New York. There are multiple "Energy Providers" who will sell you the consumed gas/electricity, while the local monopoly charges you for the delivery mechanism (power line or gas pipe).

It's bad/profitable enough that vendors will go door to door to talk about "an opportunity to reduce your energy costs after we review your bill and sign here for HuGe SaViNgS!", where they get enough to fill out the meager switching form for the local monopoly. Remember phone-slamming back in the late 90s? It's like that but for power/heating. Then massive bills come in (because they're not actually cheaper), and everyone but the scammer is unhappy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Getting gas trucked in is a thing at least in Ireland because the Russian embassy in Ireland can't find a company willing to do it anymore and it made the news.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh, it's a thing in the states depending on where you are. My neighbors across the street growing up had gas trucked in to their house (though, it may have been propane rather than natural gas).

I grew up in a house with oil heat which my parents still have because the neighborhood isn't serviced by gas lines.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

user: I need to do some stuff as root on this machine
me: okay here's a sudo that does this specific thing you need
user: that's too complicated, can I have root?

:fuckoff:

I did this for a customer, and I gave them a list of command to add sudo for. They have super strict restrictions and approvals, but one of the commands I requested was:

sudo /home/management_script.bash

They approved it, and since I have r/w on that script, I can just make the script
code:
/bin/bash
and get instant root.

whoops!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Oh, it's a thing in the states depending on where you are. My neighbors across the street growing up had gas trucked in to their house (though, it may have been propane rather than natural gas).

In the US if you're getting it trucked to a tank on your property, it's almost certain it's propane. Propane has a higher energy density than natural gas, which makes it make a bit more sense when you're trucking it.

It also means that most gas appliances you have to change a few parts (nozzles, pressure regulators, etc) out if you want to run them with propane. Otherwise you get a much bigger and hotter flame than intended.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's the config screen of some door access control software

See those little tick boxes to the left of each entry? Do you think they work like tick boxes in every other piece of software - as a way to select multiple items to perform tasks on? Well you're wrong!

They are actually a toggle for whether the software is going to communicate with a door or not. Leave them unticked, the door stays offline. I just lost an hour to this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Here's the config screen of some door access control software

See those little tick boxes to the left of each entry? Do you think they work like tick boxes in every other piece of software - as a way to select multiple items to perform tasks on? Well you're wrong!

They are actually a toggle for whether the software is going to communicate with a door or not. Leave them unticked, the door stays offline. I just lost an hour to this.

Never expect a security system to behave in a sane manner. That SQL thing I talked about earlier? Security system.

Also, access control systems are insecure pieces of poo poo from an ITSEC perspective. Just saying.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Also, access control systems are insecure pieces of poo poo from an ITSEC perspective. Just saying.

Yes. Every single one of them. Always. It’s twine and spit and somehow it keeps lurching along and god forbid they have some sort of licensing / software dongle / money scheme. It will be the thing that has the most bugs and the biggest time sink.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Teams copy+paste....who the gently caress is responsible for this atrocity. They are on my MS hit list.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Teams copy+paste....who the gently caress is responsible for this atrocity. They are on my MS hit list.

It's been garbage since what, Lync 2010?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

you don't like including the name and timestamp in the copy automatically?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

Never expect a security system to behave in a sane manner. That SQL thing I talked about earlier? Security system.
Likewise for anywhere security systems overlap in to other fields.

I've been working in VoIP for the better part of two decades and over that time literally every single SIP device I've interacted with has had a web user interface for basic configuration while also supporting downloading a config file from a server based on a DHCP parameter...

...except for Viking's SIP door boxes, which use a Windows-only utility that closely resembles the tool Thanks Ants posted. And it's not even the same one across their entire line, I have four products of theirs in the field and need three different apps installed on my Windows VM to support them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

Microsoft apps and (copy/paste) is really stupid. For some reason I swear that if I turn my teams dark mode (as god intended) and I copy/paste the text to som something else, it will be highlighted black.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

Microsoft apps and (copy/paste) is really stupid. For some reason I swear that if I turn my teams dark mode (as god intended) and I copy/paste the text to som something else, it will be highlighted black.

Yea I've had the formatting come over creating unreadable poo poo before

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Sickening posted:

Happens all the time in Outlook and I wouldn't even mind that so much except it keeps the copy/paste font and colors for all subsequent typing. It's infuriating and I have to go to the top, type the rest of the messages, and then cut and paste it below whatever copy-pasted poo poo I'm including. Dumb as donkey dick.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Happens all the time in Outlook and I wouldn't even mind that so much except it keeps the copy/paste font and colors for all subsequent typing. It's infuriating and I have to go to the top, type the rest of the messages, and then cut and paste it below whatever copy-pasted poo poo I'm including. Dumb as donkey dick.

I run PureText on all my boxes, just so I can have a universal "paste without formatting" shortcut.

Works just as well now as it did when it came out in 2001 (though I swear I used it in the 90s as well!)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

I agree, but in the meantime: ctrl-shift-v

or this, I didnt know about this:

Lum posted:

I run PureText on all my boxes, just so I can have a universal "paste without formatting" shortcut.

Works just as well now as it did when it came out in 2001 (though I swear I used it in the 90s as well!)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm of the firm opinion that "paste without formatting" should be the default. CTRL+SHIFT+V should be for when you DO want the extra bullshit, not when you don't.

In this manifesto, I will...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Most Office applications let you change the default paste

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We are still running Skype for bad reasons, and not only does the pasting suck, it will change the font in the message box for the rest of the message.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My favorite is when you're pasting code with tabs into teams and it turns it into a loving table.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i dislike skype because it messes up formatting. Chats should be formatless and you have to do something to format it, there's a name for that and im forgetting what it's called

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

KillHour posted:

My favorite is when you're pasting code with tabs into teams and it turns it into a loving table.

If you just post screenshots people can’t just copy what you’ve written and will just quit asking you for anything. #protip

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I post screen snips all the time and I still get asked for poo poo

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
If helpdesk gives me another call to inform me that they have assigned a ticket to me that seems super important I'm gonna scream. Loudly for once not just silently. Nobody is in danger of death or bodily harm, so it can't be super high important. Neither is production affected so it can't be important. No it's a single person who can't scan a document to pdf. *throws phone out of the window*

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Happy Litterbox posted:

If helpdesk gives me another call to inform me that they have assigned a ticket to me that seems super important I'm gonna scream. Loudly for once not just silently. Nobody is in danger of death or bodily harm, so it can't be super high important. Neither is production affected so it can't be important. No it's a single person who can't scan a document to pdf. *throws phone out of the window*

I see you’ve met my service desk.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there ever a good reason to have your private networking on public IPs? I guarantee this customer did not exhaust every space on 10.0.0.0/8 before deciding "Let's use 12.0.0.0/8."

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
So earlier this afternoon our attendance tracking vendor decided to drop a website update.

They obviously didn't test it (scribbles are mine):

It's 2022. Surely we've figured out how to make a website display on a tablet without looking like garbage right??

It's so broken that nobody can punch in using it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there ever a good reason to have your private networking on public IPs? I guarantee this customer did not exhaust every space on 10.0.0.0/8 before deciding "Let's use 12.0.0.0/8."

If they own the public space then use it, NAT is terrible. I spent a short time working at Xerox and we had public space and it was great.

I'm assuming your customer isn't AT&T though, in which case they are going to have problems if they ever need to connect to something in that AT&T space.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, not AT&T. I'm guessing they decided "Well our on-premise VCenter environment (or whatever) is 10.0.0.0/8 so we'll make our cloud environments 11.0.0.0/8 and 12.0.0.0/8."

Someone with some sense apparently showed up and realized it was a loving terrible idea so they're supposed to be getting a whole new network layout at some point in the coming months but lol nobody meets deadlines and my management wants us to set up a disaster recovery environment for their current clusterfuck. I'm weighing the risks of refusing and only preparing to set up replication for the new network because that tells me I need to perfectly replicate something made terribly because if I don't make the exact same gently caress-ups something will break and I'll be blamed for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did some consultancy work for a large financial services company that were using IP space from a Japanese university inside their network. I don't know how people can get into a position to do that sort of damage without having a clue what they are doing, but it's great for curing imposter syndrome.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have a client right now that uses 192.19.something.0/24 as their internal, or something very similar. It was actually a company they purchased that used it and for whatever reason the people that came before me did not force them to re-ip the network when we migrated them to their new domain (why, everything is changing anyway, why not just unfuck it) and stood up a server. Now, I get to deal with it, except only sort of!

:yotj: I put in my 2 weeks, a week ago, I'm cleaning up projects (or trying to anyway) and handing off customers and wow does it feel nice to know I'm going to be out of the MSP business. New company offered me a ~50% raise, the only downside is that I had to take a hair test which, I might have passed. Even if I didn't and that causes them to rescind the offer, there's 2 other jobs that will still hire me so I had no fear putting in my 2 weeks, the weight off my shoulders was well worth it. I have a slight feeling they will not rescind the offer though because the recruiter I worked with said they place a lot of accounting people with this company and they've had folks get popped for coke/mdma before and they just had to take a class or something, but still go the job.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

PremiumSupport posted:

So earlier this afternoon our attendance tracking vendor decided to drop a website update.

They obviously didn't test it (scribbles are mine):

It's 2022. Surely we've figured out how to make a website display on a tablet without looking like garbage right??

It's so broken that nobody can punch in using it.

So the solution is to permanently set the browser to display webpages at 75% :rolleyes:

I am not impressed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well that's a new one, I applied to a job and after 10 minutes they send an invitation to do a 95 minute solo assessment test thing. Just long enough that I'm not sure if they glanced at my resume before sending it or not. I sent a very politely worded "lolno" in hopes that enough other people also send "lolno"s that this doesn't become commonplace. I had only seen it before from a sleazy contracting company that I'm pretty sure mostly hires H1Bs and works them to death.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, that's totally automated and they're definitely filtering out people that have a spine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, they probably set the email send on a delay so it seems like a real person rather than being automated. The equivalent of the robocalls that act like they're having a hard time hearing you at first or are saying something to someone else in the room when you pick up.

Possibly filtering out spines, but it's also a fintech startup so there's possibly so much cocaine going around that they're completely detached from reality and don't see the problem. But either way, I'm going back to my 30 second Linkedin applications rather than spending an hour and a half applying to a job I know nothing about.