Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kavros posted:

I remember back to the beginning of this invasion where we thought the mobile incinerators were for their own troops.

Probably for the planned disappearances they had lists and stuff for after their 'lightning victory', and now the scope has expanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wasn't there a Russian riot unit that drove up to a major city and tried to setup a road block and found out?

https://twitter.com/citeam_en/status/1497573785414901760

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FishBulbia posted:

I have been to this one at it was good food wise. They had a nice dark beer (no name just two options -- dark and light) and no spoons. Just knives and archaic looking forks. I ordered a hunk of some sort of meat and a trout. All was high quality and actually tasty.

Aren't spoons ancient though? It's forks that were invented in the renaissance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I’d rather think they’d ask people to not stand so close to them.

They couldn't stand losing Ukraine, but now they're the kings of pain

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Aren't spoons ancient though? It's forks that were invented in the renaissance.

I’m really starting to doubt the historical accuracy of this novelty restaurant.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Meanwhile, spare a thought for the poor Russian diplomatic staff in Dublin being unfairly discriminated against... Oh no...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cry-for-help-from-russian-embassy-in-ireland-as-it-faces-fuel-shortage-1.4845579

quote:

There has been a cry for help from the Russian Embassy in Ireland as it reportedly faces a fuel shortage. It is understood diplomats have complained that Irish oil companies are refusing to deliver supplies to their Dublin property due to the invasion of Ukraine.
[...]
They have urged the Government to intervene in what they have termed as a “clearly discriminatory case”.

Anyway...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Morrow posted:

Even Hertling, for all his optimism, seemed to expect it to devolve into guerrilla warfare. We're seeing the Ukrainians go toe to toe with their enemy.
By like day 4 he was on CNN saying the Russians would never take Kiev and that he was amazed Putin thought otherwise.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Spiegel has release a free english version of the BND Bucha intercepts article

https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...5c-c4a772315b0d

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FishMcCool posted:

Meanwhile, spare a thought for the poor Russian diplomatic staff in Dublin being unfairly discriminated against... Oh no...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cry-for-help-from-russian-embassy-in-ireland-as-it-faces-fuel-shortage-1.4845579

Anyway...

Quick, someone stand outside playing the world's tiniest irish fiddle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Please explain to me how an energy embargo by the EU would stop the war. Russia is already heavily sanctioned and if the past is any indication, sanctions rarely work quickly. The imports that are vital to Russia are already blocked since the start of the war.

I hope the strategy here is to pressure the EU on energy sanctions and weapons to get more heavy weapons.

https://twitter.com/elinaribakova/status/1510646908687167494

That said, it is entirely fair to also note that

https://twitter.com/valuehao/status/1511848165141581828

As far as I’m concerned, I think that Putin doesn’t personally feel pressured by sanctions yet - and I believe we can actually change that by going after their oil specifically. Coal and gas should happen, but if oil is on the table I’d rather just see us take a swing at oil now and leave the rest to the announced accelerated withdrawal schedules.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

GaussianCopula posted:

The prevailing opinion from the European governments is that cutting Russian natural gas would not be sustainable.

For the discussion on whether gas imports from Russia can be eliminated, I'm not interested in the self-serving "prevailing opinion" of those governments. That's mostly an economic question.

GaussianCopula posted:

and for Russian oil in particular the question becomes whether they will be blocked from exporting it or whether it will be exported to a different country, in which case the benefits derived from the sanctions are even less.

Sure. We can never do anything against Russia as long as not everyone else is 100% with it.

I see that you oppose any sanctions, since they don't work immediately and aren't perfect.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Geopolitically sanctioning the oil would be a shitshow. The UAE and Saudi don't want to poke the Russian bear by increasing the output drastically, and besides that, they know it can happen to them someday, and don't want to create a precedent. There's no guarantee the same won't happen to KSA some day and all the other OPEC members gently caress them in that turn. It's a hard situation all around.

If others don't increase output, then oil will just be very expensive for a while.

Just lmfao if in the long run it's Russia's invasion of Ukraine that finally brings the energetic transition to reality.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, I had concerns about sanctioning oil earlier in the outbreak, but with Russia confirming even most far fetched of my suspicions, I think we (EU) have an obligation to make this war as expensive as possible for Russia, even at cost of incurring substantial damage ourselves.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 7, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

FishMcCool posted:

Anyway...

Maybe some sympathetic locals could fill some empty glass bottles with fuel and throw them into the embassy grounds.

orange sky posted:

Geopolitically sanctioning the oil would be a shitshow. The UAE and Saudi don't want to poke the Russian bear by increasing the output drastically, and besides that, they know it can happen to them someday, and don't want to create a precedent. There's no guarantee the same won't happen to KSA some day and all the other OPEC members gently caress them in that turn. It's a hard situation all around.

If others don't increase output, then oil will just be very expensive for a while.

Just lmfao if in the long run it's Russia's invasion of Ukraine that finally brings the energetic transition to reality.

I don't think the UAE or KSA would want prices to spike too much either. Every time the price increases it improves the business case for a switch to renewable energy (which is getting cheaper all the time) and they run the risk of their being quite a few less customers for their oil when the prices subside.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I haven't had tea yet and I promise I'll be more eloquent later but what the gently caress
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1511812712887689224?s=20&t=3kh5X7glLteynDXamG4sdA
Might as well drop a rusted out junker car with a full tank of gas and call it a bomb

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

I haven't had tea yet and I promise I'll be more eloquent later but what the gently caress
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1511812712887689224?s=20&t=3kh5X7glLteynDXamG4sdA
Might as well drop a rusted out junker car with a full tank of gas and call it a bomb

Should be a straight and level snack for the Starstreak cocktail fork.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I will seriously laugh if they actually managed to down a Tu-22M3 with a starstreak or stinger or whatever. Those things are meant to attack carrier battle groups with supersonic missiles from hundreds of kilometers away.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

KitConstantine posted:

Whole unit later dies from tetanus

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Flying a bomber like that into contested airspace and over potentially MANPADS infested territory sounds like an extremely dumb idea. Dumber considering the accuracy with that thing is probably pretty poo poo so you might not even hit anything of military value.

That bomb looks old enough that it's debatable whether the explosive in it still works too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i dont think any of those MANPADS can hit a high altitude bomber, or really anything moving fast through the air

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

I still haven’t figured out how we have gone from a picture of a dumb bomb to Russian strategic bombers flying over contested airspace to drop dumb bombs on a ruined factory.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

i dont think any of those MANPADS can hit a high altitude bomber, or really anything moving fast through the air

Anything flying at high altitude close enough to Ukrainian positions to drop a bomb like that is probably going to be within range of Ukraine's other SAM systems. Also you're probably just as likely to hit your own dudes dropping that thing from a high altitude. I think a modern MANPADS could hit it easily enough if it was low enough. Those old Strelas might struggle. It would be a nice big target for a Starstreak if the crew was the right distance from the plane - too close and it's apparent speed would make it hard to track with the laser.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Flying a bomber like that into contested airspace and over potentially MANPADS infested territory sounds like an extremely dumb idea. Dumber considering the accuracy with that thing is probably pretty poo poo so you might not even hit anything of military value.

That bomb looks old enough that it's debatable whether the explosive in it still works too.

If it does, that thing would do serious damage tho, no need for precision. That poo poo is an old blast bomb, no fancy tricks, just 1200kg of TNT on board. It's gonna do serious infrastructure damage if they manage to hit anything. I'd wager that at 3 tons you can chuck that thing pretty accurately too, although I wouldn't want to zoom and boom with one of those things attached.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Youth Decay posted:

Zelensky gave an exceptionally good evening address yesterday night - they are always good, but he sounds very angry about the continued refusal of certain countries to sanction Russian oil and gas. Frankly I don't know how you can walk through the remains of Bucha and Irpin and not want to shake Scholz until he grows a spine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcBy7rTlu73/ speech with subtitles

Ofc he says that and it's important to constantly remind Europe that gas payments kill Ukrainian soldiers. However, he knows as well as everyone else that countries like Germany have chained their energy sector to Russia over the last decades and that there is no way to get out of this on short notice. Especially when Russian gas makes up 60% of Germany's (or 80% in case of Austria) natural gas imports. Unless you want to crash the industry and let the people freeze at night.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

I really dig the optics of specifically reviving the Lend-Lease program. Big “Just War” vibes.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

punishedkissinger posted:

You're right, they can't when it's flying high and fast. If they are dumb enough to fly low and slow to get an accurate drop though, then some guy with a Stinger could absolutely shoot one down.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

European Parliament vote on immediate and total ban on importing Russian fossils.

https://twitter.com/ijabs/status/1512024860444315655

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I can't quite see that symbol by 552 properly, what does it mean?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

organburner posted:

Total votes cast from adding it all up.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

gay picnic defence posted:

Explosives actually get easier to use over time. They crystalize out free impact triggers.

Do not taunt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

organburner posted:

Number of present MEPs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

European Parliament vote on immediate and total ban on importing Russian fossils.

https://twitter.com/ijabs/status/1512024860444315655

Seems big and good if that passes right?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I still haven’t figured out how we have gone from a picture of a dumb bomb to Russian strategic bombers flying over contested airspace to drop dumb bombs on a ruined factory.

Apparently it was posted by a Russian 'fighterbomber telegram channel' - found a Russian language article about it. It even has a second angle on the bomb

https://topcor.ru/24931-v-rossii-raskonservirovali-bomby-fab-3000-na-fone-operacii-na-ukraine.html

Also the plane in the background of the photo matches images of the Tu-22M3.

Edit: Also also the air over Mariupol isn't really 'contested airspace', even the Ukrainian military admits they don't fly often in the solidly Russian-controlled areas of the country, sneaky helicopter bombings notwithstanding

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 7, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

GaussianCopula posted:

The best way to lose weight is to have a sustainable lifestyle change. The prevailing opinion from the European governments is that cutting Russian natural gas would not be sustainable.

Russia is not paying it's soldiers in Dollar or Euro. The material they need to continue the war is either internally produced (aka Russia pays with Rubel, of which they have an unlimited amount) or already under sanctions.

and for Russian oil in particular the question becomes whether they will be blocked from exporting it or whether it will be exported to a different country, in which case the benefits derived from the sanctions are even less.

What? Russia is a petro-state, and Europe is by far its largest customer. If the EU banned all fossil fuel imports from Russia, the Russian economy would suffer tremendous; and its not as simple as just selling more fossil fuels to India for Russia to recover.

Furthermore you are way over simplifying how the production of war materials work. Even if they are produced internally, Russia has to pay for their production.

Russia generates the revenue used to produce those war materials in part—a significant part—through fossil fuel sales to Europe. In the absence of that income they would have to secure money another way, for example printing rubles.

If you want to know how effective that is see this.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Seems big and good if that passes right?

It’s only a resolution. Basically a way of saying “The Council thinks this should happen.”

It’s a long way from an actual proposal to do it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently it was posted by a Russian 'fighterbomber telegram channel' - found a Russian language article about it. It even has a second angle on the bomb

https://topcor.ru/24931-v-rossii-raskonservirovali-bomby-fab-3000-na-fone-operacii-na-ukraine.html

Edit: Also also the air over Mariupol isn't really 'contested airspace', even the Ukrainian military admits they don't fly often in the solidly Russian-controlled areas of the country, sneaky helicopter bombings notwithstanding

Ukraine isn't flying there but they might have SAMs in range

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

You can contest airspace from the ground. Although a surprise MiG-29 pop-up would be excellent.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fans posted:

It’s only a resolution. Basically a way of saying “The Council thinks this should happen.”

Still surprising the vote is so lopsided

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Fans posted:

Good speech yesterday in favor of actually doing something. Pointed comments for Germany in the last 20ish seconds of his speech too
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1511976396129816577?s=20&t=3kh5X7glLteynDXamG4sdA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

snip: nevermind