Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This affiliate link is from a video review of the Homeworld series by Mandalore. Pretty cheap way to pick up the Homeworld remaster + Emergence if you haven't got them ($1.74 and 49 cents, respectively).

https://www.gog.com/redeem/MANDALOREHOMEWORLDTW

edited to include that it's an affiliate link for this particular streamer if anyone cares

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

That's a great deal!

I finished Outcast 1.1 last week. It's one of those games i played the demo of way back and always wanted to see more of. I really enjoyed it for the most part, I can see how it has a bit of a cult following. The world reminds me a bit of Morrowind, with it's lore and relatively small but open world that feels larger than it is.

The voxel graphics really makes it punch above it's weight considering its age. Great draw distance, detailed environments including a grand city full of buildings. Quite a bit of verticality. The different worlds are very different in appearance and style and provide some great variety. It helps that you can travel freely between all of them at all times, so if you grow bored of one world or get stuck you can visit another one.

The story is... Ok I guess. The writing is pretty awful and where the game most clearly shows its age. Characters you don't care about, jokes that fall flat, lots of tropes.

Combat is pretty easy and enemy variety is not huge but it's also not terribly janky either. The hub system that can be cleared in any order means all worlds are similar in difficulty. There are also a side quest for each world that reduces difficulty even more. But there are also a few boss fights that break with the rest of the combat.

All in all I had fun with it but it dragged on for a bit towards the end when I had seen all the worlds and just wanted to see the end of the unengaging story.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I'm trying to play F.E.A.R. again, and I'm just getting a blue spinning circle instead of the game running. Is it an issue with the renderer? I got a new PC and I don't know if it has DX9 built in. When I tried launching it from the options executable DX9 was the only renderer available. I also downloaded the FPS fix.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Late reply but did you check PC gaming wiki? It mentions something about a wrapper for modern Nvidia cards.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/F.E.A.R.

I had forgotten about Airfix dogfighter but stumbled upon a long play. Now I wish it would come to Gog, it's just such a cool concept to me even though the game is kinda barebones and too easy.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That's a great deal!

I finished Outcast 1.1 last week. It's one of those games i played the demo of way back and always wanted to see more of. I really enjoyed it for the most part, I can see how it has a bit of a cult following. The world reminds me a bit of Morrowind, with it's lore and relatively small but open world that feels larger than it is.

The voxel graphics really makes it punch above it's weight considering its age. Great draw distance, detailed environments including a grand city full of buildings. Quite a bit of verticality. The different worlds are very different in appearance and style and provide some great variety. It helps that you can travel freely between all of them at all times, so if you grow bored of one world or get stuck you can visit another one.

The story is... Ok I guess. The writing is pretty awful and where the game most clearly shows its age. Characters you don't care about, jokes that fall flat, lots of tropes.

Combat is pretty easy and enemy variety is not huge but it's also not terribly janky either. The hub system that can be cleared in any order means all worlds are similar in difficulty. There are also a side quest for each world that reduces difficulty even more. But there are also a few boss fights that break with the rest of the combat.

All in all I had fun with it but it dragged on for a bit towards the end when I had seen all the worlds and just wanted to see the end of the unengaging story.

I love Outcast. The story is schlock city but I found Cutter Slade charming. That soundtrack was amazing, especially for the era it released in.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I had forgotten about Airfix dogfighter but stumbled upon a long play. Now I wish it would come to Gog, it's just such a cool concept to me even though the game is kinda barebones and too easy.

The best part of that game was how funny the writing was. Playing as the Axis, you have the Italians hammering on the table, demanding that you annex the kitchen ASAP while the Germans want to test their new submarines in the bath tub.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This seems as good a place as any to ask this.

What are some classic "who the gently caress would buy this house?" games like Darkseed or Phantasmagoria?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The very first Alone in the Dark.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I was going to suggest Scratches but it seems to have disappeared from all digital platforms? :ghost:

Not quite what you're looking for but Sanitarium is similar to Darkseed.

Edit:. VVVV There is no buy button on it's steam page.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 21, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Joe Chill posted:

I was going to suggest Scratches but it seems to have disappeared from all digital platforms? :ghost:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/46460/Scratches__Directors_Cut/

Edit: Oh, the page is still there but no way to buy it. My bad.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Not a perfect fit, but there is the Dark Fall series on GOG. Dark Fall: The Journal takes place in an abandoned train station/hotel, while Dark Fall 2: Lights Out revolves around a lighthouse, and the third game Dark Fall 3: Lost Souls returns to the train station/hotel.

Which also reminds me of No one lives under the lighthouse, a pretty good indie horror game on Steam, though it's theme might be "who the gently caress would take this job?"

Also, it's different from what you are asking for, but the most disgusting home in gaming is in Bad Mojo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't thought about this game in forever but a random Silent Hill discussion notified me that SH4 is on GOG
https://www.gog.com/en/game/silent_hill_4_the_room

I remember it was pretty unpopular back in the day but I always liked it and so did the more "hardcore" SH fans. I wonder if it has been vindicated by time like MGS2 has?

It's by no means a perfect game - combat is poo poo, a lot of boring areas or enemies - but I really liked the premise. It's not set in Silent Hill but it has that same psychological element that made SH2 everyone's favorite. I also just think Walter Sullivan is a pretty great villain because the game is all about him. Henry is a blackhole of charisma and personality, he just exists to show us Walter's horrible life. And of course the music is phenomenal.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't thought about this game in forever but a random Silent Hill discussion notified me that SH4 is on GOG
https://www.gog.com/en/game/silent_hill_4_the_room

I remember it was pretty unpopular back in the day but I always liked it and so did the more "hardcore" SH fans. I wonder if it has been vindicated by time like MGS2 has?

It's by no means a perfect game - combat is poo poo, a lot of boring areas or enemies - but I really liked the premise. It's not set in Silent Hill but it has that same psychological element that made SH2 everyone's favorite. I also just think Walter Sullivan is a pretty great villain because the game is all about him. Henry is a blackhole of charisma and personality, he just exists to show us Walter's horrible life. And of course the music is phenomenal.

I noticed it very much when they brought it back out (though I don't remember exactly when that was without checking) and I was/still am surprised to see it. Homecoming is on Steam, but apart from this one and that one there are no other SH games available right now and I'm sad that SH2 and SH3 didn't immediately follow. SH1 did not have a PC release.

I will admit that I am actually quite fond of SHOrigins, even though it's widely regarded as one of the worst, and I unlocked everything in it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

NikkolasKing posted:

This seems as good a place as any to ask this.

What are some classic "who the gently caress would buy this house?" games like Darkseed or Phantasmagoria?

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_legacy_realm_of_terror

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I didn't notice this earlier, but GOG halted their sales in Russia and Belarus.

https://www.gog.com/news/suspending_sales_in_russia_and_belarus

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Twobirds posted:

I didn't notice this earlier, but GOG halted their sales in Russia and Belarus.

https://www.gog.com/news/suspending_sales_in_russia_and_belarus

Hit 'em where it hurts.

I got a hold of Airfix Dogfighter and it's a lot of fun! I think I may have only played a demo beforehand, because I don't remember all these missions and weapons.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

GOG posts a news article to announce the store's latest addition: They've added a 'Good Old Game' filtering tag.

https://www.gog.com/news/gog_2022_update_3_the_future_that_comes_from_the_past

https://www.gog.com/en/games?tags=good-old-game

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I want to make a joke about Quake 4 being on there but I've decided I'd rather them err towards a big list than a small one

To be clear I played and enjoyed Quake 4 but it wouldn't make my list of iconic games

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Heck yeah. Sorting by oldest never worked very well, I'd always get some crappy game's DLC in there. But also the GOG forums have some real cranks in there and they've been clamoring for this option for a while.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I want to make a joke about Quake 4 being on there but I've decided I'd rather them err towards a big list than a small one

To be clear I played and enjoyed Quake 4 but it wouldn't make my list of iconic games

It's okay they have much worse games on that list.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was just thinking of the Wheel of Time game recently and ta da, it's now on GOG :woop:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Whoever held the rights remembered they had them after watching the tv series maybe. I think it's been on GOG's wishlist for a while.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just noticed very recently that they finally brought back the 'hide owned games' tick box. They had it years ago, took it out, then quietly re-introduced it without much fanfare.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

itry posted:

Whoever held the rights remembered they had them after watching the tv series maybe. I think it's been on GOG's wishlist for a while.

Yeah, I have to think adjacent media remind people they might make some money off the rights they happen to be sitting on.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Off topic, but I looked at my 'Galaxy Score' this past weekend, by which I mean the number of games in my Galaxy library including GOG, Steam, Origin, UPlay, Epic and all the other integrated storefronts.

I have never hated myself more than I do now.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is it in the four digits area?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

itry posted:

Must be. 5 digit people wouldn't be shocked by its size, and 3 digit people wouldn't react that strongly. Epic alone his given out well over 200 games.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've sorted my Steam games in ones I've finished, ones I'm playing still and ones I haven't touched since buying. It was a real sobering experience that now keeps me from impulse buying so much (I currently own more games I haven't played than ones I have)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

itry posted:

I have to check when I get to home but Steam alone is around 1200ish games. My GOG library is huge (something like 300-400?). The difference is that I've got so much garbage due to old humble bundles and stuff like that on Steam while GOG library is stuff I actually wanted and a few giveaways.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Must be. 5 digit people wouldn't be shocked by its size, and 3 digit people wouldn't react that strongly. Epic alone his given out well over 200 games.

:hmmyes:

Guillermus posted:

I have to check when I get to home but Steam alone is around 1200ish games. My GOG library is huge (something like 300-400?). The difference is that I've got so much garbage due to old humble bundles and stuff like that on Steam while GOG library is stuff I actually wanted and a few giveaways.

Same here, only I'm still in the high hundreds overall. Probably. Need to actually count what I have on itch. Only a handful of games on Origin/Uplay.
I don't really impulse buy, but those bundels add up.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

davidspackage posted:

I've sorted my Steam games in ones I've finished, ones I'm playing still and ones I haven't touched since buying. It was a real sobering experience that now keeps me from impulse buying so much (I currently own more games I haven't played than ones I have)

Mine is impulse buying to a certain degree, but also a collector's drive as well. Another factor is that I take forever and try to 100% every game, and there are so many these days coming out so quickly from so many sources. Also, I keep going back and playing ToeJam & Earl from the Mega Drive, which is of course the greatest game of all time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

Mine is impulse buying to a certain degree, but also a collector's drive as well. Another factor is that I take forever and try to 100% every game, and there are so many these days coming out so quickly from so many sources. Also, I keep going back and playing ToeJam & Earl from the Mega Drive, which is of course the greatest game of all time.

Yeah, so many of my purchases are "I'll want to play this - some day" and then I just play the same old games again.

A lot of my GOG purchases are from a squirrel mentality of wanting to have it in my library just in case I ever feel like playing it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Yeah, so many of my purchases are "I'll want to play this - some day" and then I just play the same old games again.

A lot of my GOG purchases are from a squirrel mentality of wanting to have it in my library just in case I ever feel like playing it.

This is basically a lot of my purchases too especially with the ever-present threat of a game suddenly being de-listed.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Wheel of Time, yesss. Time to see if the nostalgia holds up. I had to upgrade my PC back when this came out to play it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

davidspackage posted:

It's because learning how to play new games takes effort and it gets tiring if you are going through a laundry list of games you haven't played before. Most of the time I play the same old games because I want to unwind and not be bothered to learn new mechanics.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

playing ToeJam & Earl from the Mega Drive, which is of course the greatest game of all time.

:hmmyes:

Angry_Ed posted:

This is basically a lot of my purchases too especially with the ever-present threat of a game suddenly being de-listed.

Yeah, I feel very lucky with Metal Gear Solid 2, apparently it got de-listed last year and still hasn't returned?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

This guy gets it. Just finished a TJ run a few minutes ago. Nearly bottled this one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Joe Chill posted:

It's because learning how to play new games takes effort and it gets tiring if you are going through a laundry list of games you haven't played before. Most of the time I play the same old games because I want to unwind and not be bothered to learn new mechanics.

:( yeah, there's also several probably great games I haven't touched because I want to take my time for them and feel reluctant to start, because my time is limited.

edit: I'm really whining about first world problems here

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 8, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

don't touch those, those are my retirement games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

As the bombs are dropping, I sit safely in my fallout shelter. I look at the library of games that are amassed on a hard drive. It's finally time to play one of the Jagged Alliance games I bought on GOG, so many years ago.

Then suddenly the monitor breaks in a matter I know that can't be fixed. That's not fair. That's not fair at all!

There was time now. There was... was all the time I needed...

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 8, 2022