Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Saint Freak posted:

Mechanically is really where I think this boss really shines and exemplifies what I enjoy about the overall design of Sekiro. Sure he has a lot of moves. Sure the moves come out fast, and flashy, and cover huge areas of space. But by this point in the game you should be able to look at his moveset and realize something. Ashina Cross, Perilous Thrust, Lightning Reversal, Ichimonji Double, Perilous Sweep, Ranged Projectile, Chasing Slash. These are all moves you have seen before.

He doesn’t just feel like a fitting final boss, he feels like a final exam. The game has taught you everything - just apply it.

Tenchu and Wrath of Heaven were some of my fave psx/2 era games and I have a deep love for the Souls series. So naturally, I've been thinking about a Sekiro post for a long time. My personal favorite part of Sekiro was the Tenchu zone, full of blue enemies that can one-shot you with a channeled ability so you have to sneak around and backstab them all. Alas, Elden Ring came out a week after I beat ISS and the post never materialized. Elden Ring is amazing, just absolutely packed with content, but Sekiro is easily the best action game I've ever played.

This post does a very good job of describing what makes it so great. Souls games have always had good bosses, but never good jumping. And they've always had to design the bosses around the versatility they allow in player builds. Sekiro easily incorporates good jumping into the combat and the bosses are perfectly tuned for vicious, high-speed sword fights.

I want to expand on one more thing, the final boss intro FMV is epic. Video is a full fight, but the link starts at the end of phase 1 and the start of the FMV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvuV8lUfeA&t=121s

Spoilers about what the hell is going on:
Genichiro, the guy who gets stabbed, is the main antagonist throughout the game, he's the one who takes your arm, and the grandson of Issin. Issin was an ultra badass back in the day and taught Genichiro well, but is old as gently caress when the game starts and dead by the end. Genichiro is trying to save his clan and has acquired a dark power to do so, the black mortal blade he wields. There are various hints that he can use it to sacrifice himself and get a wish. He wishes for his grandfather to come back to life at his peak and gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely loved Elden Ring and love that they made it... but oh God I hope we haven't seen the last of Sekiro. It is a fantastic game, has fantastic combat, looks fantastic, and all-in-all it's... well, fantastic!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I believe their next game is a new armored core, so no more souls likes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updating the list for the OP:

A Fisherman's Tale by The 7th Guest
A Hat in Time by Zybourne Clock
Age of Empires 2 by TheMostFrench
Alpha Protocol by theshim
Alien Isolation by VinylonUnderground
Anachranox by Whybird
Analogue: A Hate Story by Reveilled
Another World by VinylonUnderground
Armored Core 2 by Shine
Atelier by cheetah7071
Batman: Arkham Asylum by thrilla in vanilla
Black Magic by fridge corn
Blades of Exile by Whybird
Bloodborne by FrozenGoldfishGod
Burnout 3: Takedown by thrilla in vanilla
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger by Zenithe
Cannon Fodder by GazChap
Civilization by Lampsacus
Civilization 4 by Erwin the German
Commander Blood by Lid
Crash Bandicoot 4 by Violen
Crusader Kings II by VinylonUnderground
Cyberpunk 2077 by Erwin the German
Dark Cloud 2 by dracky
Dark Cloud 2 (Spheda) by Senerio
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic by Jeza
Dark Souls by Shine
Dark Souls by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls by VideoGames
Dark Souls 2 by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls 2 by VideoGames
Dark Souls 3 by FrozenGoldfishGod
Dark Souls 3 by VideoGames
Dark Queen of Krynn by Glare Seethe
Death Stranding('s truck) by FiveSixKilo
DEFCON by Sardonik
Deus Ex by Erwin the German
Diablo 2 by TheMostFrench
Disco Elysium by Erwin the German
Doom (1993) by CyberPingu
Dragon Quest XI by quiggy
Duke Nukem 3D by Heavy Metal
Earthbound by Clockwerk
Earth Defense Force by Shine
Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall by Thothanon
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind by Erwin the German
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind by VinylonUnderground
Enderal (Skyrim Total Conversion) by Ice Phisherman
Fallout 2 by VinylonUnderground
Fallout: New Vegas by Erwin the German
Faster Than Light by VinylonUnderground
Final Fantasy 4 by Spuzzz
Final Fantasy 7 by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 11 by star eater
Final Fantasy 11 by punk rebel ecks
Final Fantasy 14 (short) by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 14 (expanded) by Erwin the German
Final Fantasy 14 Part 1 & Part 2 by Heran Bago
Freespace/Freespace 2 by theshim
Frontier: Elite 2 by GazChap
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy by Reveilled
Hades by Jossar
Hades by Sab Sabbington
Half Life (mods) by TheMostFrench
Half Life 2 by Erwin the German
Hidden & Dangerous 2 by Budzilla
Hitman: Contracts by Erwin the German
Hollow Knight by The Zombie Guy
Homeworld by dead gay comedy forums
Homeworld: Cataclysm by TheMostFrench
Horizon Zero Dawn by sean10mm
Hunt: Showdown by Erwin The German
Hyper Light Drifter by Muscle Tracer
IL-2: 1946 by Shine
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy by Erwin the German
Kenshi by punk rebel ecks
Kenshi by Ice Phisherman
Kenshi (mods) by punk rebel ecks
Kentucky Route Zero by Mode 7
Killer 7 by PNGYAKUZA
Killer 7 by Incoherence
King of Dragon Pass by Fly Ricky
King of Fighters 99: Evolution by Heavy Metal
Kirby Mass Attack by Regy Rusty
Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords by Erwin the German
Knytt Underground by Glare Seethe
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver by Rarity
Legend of Grimrock 2 by Polo-Rican
Legend of Zelda by Mr. Pickles
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask by Erwin the German
Legend of Zela: Majora's Mask by star eater
Legend of Zelda 3: A Link to the Past (randomizer) by Konstantin
Legend of Zelda 3/Super Metroid romhack by Feldegast42
Life is Strange by exquisite tea
Life is Strange by parkingtigers
LISA the Painful RPG by Mizuti
Mafia by Erwin the German
Marathon by DAD LOST MY IPOD
Marathon 2: Durandal / Marathon: Rubicon by Glare Seethe
Marathon Infinity by haveblue
Marvel Heroes by Shine
Master of Orion 2 by VinylonUnderground
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne by Erwin the German
Mayhem Triple by Sorting Algorithms
Mega Man 2 by Shine
Mega Man X by Shine
Metal Gear Solid by TheHoosier
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes by Heavy Metal
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater by Erwin the German
Metroid Prime by Erwin the German
Mirror's Edge Catalyst by BeanpolePeckerwood
Monster Hunter World by Shine
Myth 2: Soulblighter by Pain of Mind
Myth: The Fallen Lords by dead gay comedy forums
Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition by Erwin the German
Nier: Automata by Erwin the German
Night in the Woods by VinylonUnderground
Night Stalker by Shine
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen by The Zombie Guy
Ori and the Will-of-the-Wisps by Canine Blues Arooo
Ori and the Will-of-the-Wisps by Lechtansi
Out of the Park Baseball by F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Out of the Park Baseball by Arms_Akimbo
Path of Exile by theshim
Pathologic 2 by Mizuti
Perfect Dark by star eater
Perimeter by Sardonik
Phantasy Star IV by VinylonUnderground
Pirates Gold! by VinylonUnderground
Prey by VinylonUnderground
Prey by Erwin the German
Psychonauts by Jeza
Psychonauts by Sab Sabbington
Punch Out!! by Shine
Quake II by imperiusdamian
Rain World by f#a#
Ratchet & Clank - Up Your Arsenal by Shine
Remember Me by Parkingtigers
Resident Evil by BiggerBoat
Resident Evil REmake by Electromax
Resident Evil 4 by Erwin the German
River City Ransom by Zerilan
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves by Shine
Rocket League by Shine
Rocky's Boots by fridge corn
Romancing SaGa by 5-Headed Snake God
Runescape by Jossar
Sacrifice by Jeza
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin by Xarbala
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice by Saint Freak
Severance: Blade of Darkness by Mr. Pickles
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri by dead gay comedy forums
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor by punk rebel ecks
Snoopy Silly Sports Spectacular by Shine
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 by VinylonUnderground
Space Rangers 2 by Shine
SSX 3 by morallyobjected
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl by Erwin the German
Star Wars: Racer by Mr. Pickles
Star Wars: Squadrons by morallyobjected
Stickybear Basket Bounce by fridge corn
Streets of Rage 4 by Capital Letdown
Suikoden II by Ms Adequate
Super Hexagon by Glare Seethe
Super Huey by Shine
Super Mario 3 by Shine
Super Mario 64 by Heavy Metal
Super Metroid by Shine
Super Punch-Out by Shine
Sweet Home by Zerilan
Tales of Mal'Eyal by Konstantin
Terranigma by theshim
Terraria by Helicity
The Hunter: Call of the Wild by Zaphod42
The Longest Journey by Erwin the German
The Stanley Parable by dead gay comedy forums
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart by Sorting Algorithms
The World Ends With You by theshim
TIE Fighter by Shine
Thief: The Dark Project by Mr. Pickles
The Dark Mod by Erwin the German
Tomb Raider Anniversary by Heavy Metal
Tomb Raider Anniversary by VideoGames
Total Annihilation by TheMostFrench
Towerfall by Polo-Rican
Track & Field 2 by Shine
Tropico by VinylonUnderground
Undertale by Erwin the German
Unreal Tournament by Shine
Unreal Tournament 2004 by dead gay comedy forums
Vagrant Story by Party Boat
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines by Erwin the German
Wario Ware: Mega Microgame$ by GoutPatrol
Winter Games by fridge corn
Wizardry 8 by Chairchucker
XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Shine

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 7, 2022

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Wittgen posted:

I believe their next game is a new armored core, so no more souls likes.

Bearer of the Mech
Seek larger, more powerful cores
Seek the Nine Breaker, that is the only way
Lest this land swallow you whole

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Saint Freak posted:

Bearer of the Mech
Seek larger, more powerful cores
Seek the Nine Breaker, that is the only way
Lest this land swallow you whole

I really don't care for the ludicrous concept of mechs, but I'd BearSeekSeekLest the poo poo out of this one nonetheless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You've a kind radar, don't let them take that from you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

Marathon by haveblue
Marathon by DAD LOST MY IPOD
Marathon 2: Durandal / Marathon: Rubicon by Glare Seethe

Minor edit- my game was Marathon Infinity, also it was 3rd in the series

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Please do not credit me for a post I never made. ;) Mine is not an effort post it is praise of a good one and I keep thinking about editing to fully quote it for the new page.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jerusalem posted:

Updating the list for the OP:

Done! Hopefully Harrow doesn't mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not really interested in Armor Core, but I am interested in games that FROM make in general so.... maybe?

Mega64 posted:

Done! Hopefully Harrow doesn't mind.

Thanks, although I have of course now gone ahead and edited my post to adjust for what haveblue and Harold Fjord said :sweatdrop:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Easy fix, updated again.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

My favorite game of all time is Suikoden 2, but since that's already gotten a very good write-up, I wanted to effort post about two weird games I stumbled upon by chance as a kid that have stuck with me.

When I was an elementary schooler with a Nintendo Entertainment System, I wasn't particularly tapped in to what games were receiving good reviews or were in high demand--I just wanted whatever I was allowed to have. One year for Christmas, my mom gave me what was pretty obviously a used Blockbuster Video copy of something called Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, a cartridge with a bright pink label adorned with clay sculptures of little vegetable people. I have no idea what possessed her to buy this particular game, but maybe she thought it was VeggieTales-adjacent or something along those lines. Whatever the reason, it didn't take long for the story to draw me in, since at that point I wasn't really familiar with games with any sort of overt plot that existed outside the manual.

The overarching plot is pretty simple, in a world populated by fruit and vegetable-headed people, Minister Pumpkin has staged a coup using his army of Farmies (inexplicably just regular humans), in which he killed King Broccoli and abducted the king's daughter, Princess Tomato. Your job, as Sir Cucumber, is to rescue the princess. The game drops you off on a road in the outskirts of the kingdom and you navigate the world one screen at a time using a variety of buttons surrounding the screen, including MOVE, CHECK, LOOK, TALK, ITEM, HIT and FIGHT. You rescue a persimmon boy named Percy and together you adventure through the various locales of the kingdom, which are generally subdivided into stages, although on a few occasions you do backtrack to earlier areas of the game. It's not particularly action packed, but it is astoundingly cute, funny and above all weird. In several circumstances, you would need to use seemingly useless actions like HIT or PRAISE to progress.

The only instances of combat in the game are accomplished through a variant of Rock Paper Scissors where after beating your opponent, their portrait starts rapidly spinning and you need to point in the direction they're facing at the right time to actually score a hit. In one instance you have to traverse a forest maze to do Rock Paper Scissors battle with a giant cannibalistic salad monster named Saladron.

For a NES game (which itself was a port of a PC88 game) the visuals do a good job of building a wacky world of vegetable people, and while there isn't a ton of music, generally only one track per stage, what is there still occasionally pops into my head to this day. When I was a kid I didn't know a single other person who knew anything about Princess Tomato, much less someone who actually played it, so while I couldn't really articulate to anyone why I liked it so much back then, now I realize that it probably laid the groundwork for what has been a lifelong love of RPGs and other story-forward games. I wish I could provide a legal way to play this game, but to my knowledge it hasn't received a re-release on any modern platform or virtual console.

The second game, Chiki Chiki Boys aka Mega Twins, was an arcade game released in 1990 for Capcom's CP System hardware, but I didn't even know about that version until I was an adult. As a kid, I only had access to the Sega Genesis port, which among other things removed the ability to play the game with two players. The game stars the titular Boys, two sword-wielding brother-princes dressed in blue and red, that set out to acquire a mcguffin prophesied to save their kingdom. You are initially presented with three levels: a forest boasting standard platforming gameplay, an underwater level where you don a snorkel and can swim up and down, and a level in the sky where you spend most of the time floating.

The level select mechanic is interesting insofar as while I probably complete the levels in the same order 90% of the time, they each present enough differences that gameplay doesn't ever feel stale. The music in this game is fantastic, and meshes well with the big, colorful sprites and level design. Combat is accomplished through use of a sword which can be upgraded by finding power ups hidden in the levels, and a limited magic system that, while pretty one-note, is at least fun to see in action. All the bosses are charmingly strange and include oddities such as a vampire flasher, a bean general and an evil clown.

This game is easier to recommend, because the superior arcade version got a re-release last year as part of the Capcom Arcade Stadium. If you play on Steam, you can get just this game for $2 and it's absolutely worth that much to at least give it a spin.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

AuroMarshmallow posted:

Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom

I didn't play this when I was a kid, but maybe 10 years ago I used to stream a little to my friends where I would pull up a randomizer and just pick random NES roms to play and look at it. One of the ones we pulled was this game and honestly it was a complete hoot. Very strange and weird, I remember a bunch of us breaking into laughter at Percy's introduction. He's just a weird baby vegetable that says simply, "I'm Percy!".

There are a few NES games that work with this sort of menu/adventure game style. Deja Vu, Uninvited to name a couple. I never played them when I was younger but they're all decently surprising little NES titles

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
gently caress I remember Princess Tomato. My dad was really big into adventure games when I was a little kid so I had like every single one that came out for the NES and PC. Shadowgate was probably my favorite for the NES.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Princess Tomato loving owned.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Warning: Hella spoilers ahead.

From a while back, but I really enjoyed reading this. It helped me understand why it resonated so much with me, also an adult man, when I played it several years ago.

Also, it gave me the idea to check in on the LiS subreddit. Despite two more recent games being out, almost all the posts are Max and Chloe stuff. Makes me think that a good deal of what made the first game so engaging was done by accident lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I keep loling that Square-Enix was stupid enough to sell Eidos.

Like Christ that was one of the very few acquisitions that was actually good for both parties.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And they did it to free up money for NFTs just as the market started to tank in earnest.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And they did it to free up money for NFTs just as the market started to tank in earnest.

It’s incredible just as Square-Enix was in reach of cementing the return of their glory days with FFXIV expansions, HD 2D Team, TWEWY Neo, Nier, and the the upcoming FFXVI FINALLY getting the series back on track in almost (or over depending on your feelings on XII) two decades they blow it up by chasing the digital tulip market.

Edit - Oh yeah and Eidos was producing multi-million selling hit after hit. Tomb Raider is more popular now than when Laura was a 90s cultural icon. This must mean it’s the perfect time to sell the IP!

Maybe they thought of game publishers/studios like the speculative market too? Like they buy the studios and IPs low and then sell them high?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 12, 2022

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
don't worry one day they'll appoint one of their huge backlog of wormlike legacy hires to head up FFXIV and the game will immediately collapse

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It’s incredible just as Square-Enix was in reach of cementing the return of their glory days with FFXIV expansions, HD 2D Team, TWEWY Neo, Nier, and the the upcoming FFXVI FINALLY getting the series back on track in almost (or over depending on your feelings on XII) two decades they blow it up by chasing the digital tulip market.

Edit - Oh yeah and Eidos was producing multi-million selling hit after hit. Tomb Raider is more popular now than when Laura was a 90s cultural icon. This must mean it’s the perfect time to sell the IP!

Maybe they thought of game publishers/studios like the speculative market too? Like they buy the studios and IPs low and then sell them high?

Square Enix as a publisher has burned through a lot of my good will between NFT rumblings, unattractive game models like with Babylon's Fall and Chocobo Racing, and sub-par PC ports like Stranger of Paradise, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Chrono Cross. See also my post ITT. Otoh Dragon Quest Builders II was loving perfect and Balan Wonderworld was one of the most entertaining-by-osmosis games ever.

The move is probably good for IP like Legacy of Kain.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Impermanent posted:

don't worry one day they'll appoint one of their huge backlog of wormlike legacy hires to head up FFXIV and the game will immediately collapse

Yeah as much as I love FF14 its probably on borrowed time, yoshi-p can't keep the vultures at bay forever

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FF14 is making the money that funds all squenix's disastrous failures so he kinda just can

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

He’s also on the SE board of directors and has P&L for a business unit. He’s got way more juice than a normal producer.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

At the remove of almost 40 years, it's difficult to describe how gripping a game Fifth Eskadra was. It was a grognardy naval war game about NATO vs Soviets in the Med, put out by Simulations Canada. There were no graphics, but the five-and-a-quarter floppy disk came with a paper map and cardboard counters to keep track of your units and enemy contacts. You gave your orders for the (8-hour) turn, optionally waited for your opponent to do the same if you were playing hotseat head-to-head instead of against the machine, hit the button and waited for reports to roll in.

It was just little dots being drawn across the screen in gradually descending lines, but the tension mounted as you waited for the Apple IIe's lovely piezo speaker to do a remarkably lifelike impression of a teletype printer to spit out something like ::TORPEDOES INCOMING TF1::

It was 1984, so not all the nomenclature had fully settled into what we think of nowadays (the Slava-class is still referred to by its provisional code name of "Krasina" for example)

One of my favorite little quirks was that every ship captain had two stats: Initiative and Reliability. Initiative, as in how likely it would engage without orders, and Reliability, how often it would ignore the orders you gave it. NATO sub commanders tended to have a lot of the first one, and less of the second, and could thus disappear for turns at a time while you wondered if they'd been sunk or not and then pop up halfway across the map from where you'd ordered them to.

The scenario started off in peacetime ("Rising Tensions" in the game's wording) and could be escalated by request from either player, or sometimes nothing at all. Conventional Warfare, then Tactical Nuclear Warfare, then Operational Nuclear Warfare (that's the same thing as Tacnukes, but with the random chance of big surface targets being deleted by ICBMs), and finally Global Nuclear War, which loses the game for everybody.

I don't actually have to try to describe it, because as it turns out you can play it online now! https://archive.org/details/a2woz_Fifth_Eskadra_1984_Simulations_Canada

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
This took way longer than it should have but I finally finished my video on AquaNox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlYK84fCVoY
It's a real weird aquatic space sim kind of game with a funky setting, some wild characters and some 'unique' voice acting, which you can sample in the video.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

My love for Romancing SaGa has apparently been vindicated, since Square has announced a remaster! :woop:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Sardonik posted:

This took way longer than it should have but I finally finished my video on AquaNox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlYK84fCVoY
It's a real weird aquatic space sim kind of game with a funky setting, some wild characters and some 'unique' voice acting, which you can sample in the video.

I remember getting this one free with a retail Nvidia graphics card back in the day, with the other pack-in game being Sacrifice. While Sacrifice was obviously the better game, I still remember playing AquaNox through. The strange underwater world and the bizarre characters were interesting enough, but I think AquaNox really pushed my new sick 3D accelerator to the limit.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Aquanox being right next to Anachranox on my GOG shelf has caused much confusion over the years.

EDIT - And the kewl 2001 fonts in the art don't help much.

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

MORDHAU IS MY FAVORITE GAME.
The gameplay? Smooth
The armor/weapon design? Badass as hell. (Very sick.)
The community? Full of unabashed schizophrenics, socially inept RPers, and animation reading rain-men.
It's perfect.

Most of the games I've seen posted are story based, and for good reason. It's hard to justify putting an exclusively PvP title on a list with greats like New Vegas and Doom if only because there is no set-in-stone story to return to after a break and honestly you only get back what you're willing to put into it. With a game title like this everyone's experiences are vastly different. I'm hoping to highlight the nuances of those experiences as well give a decent representation of the game in this post.

While much of Mordhau's perceived depth is derived from systems that were originally implemented in Chivalry, quite a few innovations by Mordhau's dev team (Triternion) knocked the game's mechanics and polish out of the park. The depth of the game to a new player seems, from experience, absolutely monumental. With the laughably short tutorial lacking details on most important game mechanics and most people in public servers more willing to call you pejoratives than help; you're left to fend for yourself. It's a sink or swim experience where the water you're treading is (hopefully) your opponents tears. During your rise up the Mordhau skill bell-curve you're forced to pick up tricks you see others do to augment your slowly growing skills. The lack of a cut and dry catch all tutorial for advancing in the game means experimentation is an absolute MUST. The experimentation, skill dissemination through fighting different players, and the fact your skills using most game mechanics are self taught means no two players are the same. Playstyles learned over the course of hundreds, even thousands, of hours contribute to forming this unique fingerprint to such a fine point that most people can tell who you are despite being set to offline or on an alternate account.

All of that development through all of those hours might eventually amalgamate into a great dueler or great frontlines player (frontline is a 32v32 public server objective game mode). But the real depth starts to set in when you take 5 people with their own unique playstyles and experiences who have all, in their own right, mastered their own way of approaching the game and pit them against another 5 who've essentially done the same in a no-respawn deathmatch. This game mode is called Skirmish or 'SKM' and it, played across multiple rounds, is the primary game mode used for competitive Mordhau. Since it's release, players from all kinds of gaming backgrounds try to relate their past game experiences to Mordhau specifically in an effort to glean an upper hand in SKM. Some teams have shot callers, some practice specific plays or maneuvers, and some let Jesus take the wheel. There are hundreds of video recordings of these matches on obscure YouTube channels and not a single one plays out the same.

Despite having a couple thousand hours in this game I feel underqualified to speak at length on the actual game mechanics themselves. Suffice it to say the gameplay is a major draw to not only me but to many of the other players who frequent it. So much so that it is made fun of by a large part of the competitive scene via esoteric tutorial pictures/videos deliberately made to mean absolutely nothing.

Following in suit with the supremely helpful guides above; there is a comprehensive list of terms for tech/mechanics that don't exist. This list is used by select competitive match casters for the sake of comic relief and twitch viewer-count retention during long heated matches:

-Gargslash
-Glitch Slip
-Kick Dupe
-Wind Hitting
-Walk Mogging
-The Laerngurtus Slice™
-Hit Bash
-Jitterslash
-Diaper Swing
-Blanket Chamber
-Pan Overhead Omnistabs
-Spitmorph
-Shitmorph
-Slobbermorph
-"Erotic Mouse Movement"
-Badass Shadow Renegade Slash
-The Fighter Hit

And that's just to name a few! The takeaway here, if there's any takeaway at all, is you'll know what your zoomer nephew means when he starts screaming "windup shuffle jousterdash into 180 darkslide fraxdrag" while cutting the Thanksgiving turkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIh5JYIVxdA

There's quite a variety when it comes to players just like you'd see in just about any other title. You only really start to see the real difference in player base when you start talking to people who are good at the video game. :nws:Something about this game warps the soul.:nws: Maybe it's thousands of hours of frustration disguised as a hobby where your only dopamine release comes from doing to others what made you baby rage the night before. Maybe it's Maybelline. Who knows?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
:stare:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I understand all of that post perfectly and have no questions.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I understand all of that post perfectly and have no questions.

Same. I used to play DotA after all

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thx for reaffirming my decision to give up video games

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

steinrokkan posted:

Thx for reaffirming my decision to give up video games

:patriot: purpose through service

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

goethe.cx posted:

From a while back, but I really enjoyed reading this. It helped me understand why it resonated so much with me, also an adult man, when I played it several years ago.

Also, it gave me the idea to check in on the LiS subreddit. Despite two more recent games being out, almost all the posts are Max and Chloe stuff. Makes me think that a good deal of what made the first game so engaging was done by accident lol

I've liked each Life is Strange game in its own way, but there's something so completely brilliant about giving an indecisive teenage girl the ability to rewind time that you can really only get away with it once. It's hard to surprise people with that same level of emotional intensity once a set of expectations has been made.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

I've liked each Life is Strange game in its own way, but there's something so completely brilliant about giving an indecisive teenage girl the ability to rewind time that you can really only get away with it once. It's hard to surprise people with that same level of emotional intensity once a set of expectations has been made.

I've skimmed through your fantastic review of the game; I blame my ADHD. But in general the feeling I was left with after reading your essay was Life is Strange 1 was incredibly popular because it managed to capture the feeling of the Slice of Life anime genre into a video game.

Yeah, superpowers and choices are cool, but sitting watching the sunset with a friend is a beautiful emotion and it is somehow an untapped genre in video gaming. In most games you need to DO RETRY WIN ACHIEVE COMPLETE, LiS was great because it made the silent moments between the excitement peaks very cozy, personable and magic. I haven't played it in years, I forgot most of the story beats, but I vividly remember the peaceful panning shots with their great soundtrack the most.

Seen under that lens, the games that come closest to the slice of life ideal of Life Is Strange 1 are A Short Hike (minus the friendship moments) and Night In The Woods (loved it).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's funny you mention that because not too long ago I played Blue Reflection: Second Light, which is very much a slice-of-life anime RPG, and got many of the same vibes as Life is Strange. I think "liminal space" has become kind of a buzzword lately but these games really manage to evoke both the emotional intensity and languid ambiguity of that threshold between adolescence and adulthood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Traffic Department 2197

So, Traffic Department is a fairly generic game. It’s a top-down shooter with a sci-fi theme, and also the first game I ever played for the story.

The game was programmed by P-Squared Productions, the brothers Michael and John Pallet-Plowright. It’s the only game they put out. It was distributed by Safari Software, a B-tier publisher with some ties to Epic MegaGames. They were eventually bought out by Epic entirely.

Gameplay wise, it’s very generic. You control a land speeder kind of vehicle. They have various stats, but it rarely seems to make a noticeable difference in gameplay beyond the speed. It has all the usual issues associated with a top down vehicle shooter like this, mostly involving a very limited field of view which generally leaves you getting fired at by vehicles that aren"t even visible to you yet. You have a few tools, such as a rudimentary radar, that do help somewhat, but in general you end up relying on the fact that the game has pretty poo poo AI, with your enemies often ending up flying circles around buildings, to cover for that.

Controls are… alright, I guess, with the exception of the baffling decision to require a separate button to toggle between default lasers and your limited payload of missiles. The missions are fairly generic too. About 75% of it involves just killing enemies until you"re told to come home. There’s the occasional escort mission thrown in, which generally sucks because the vehicles you are escorting are made from paper-maché and dreams and will come apart under the slightest amount of friendly fire. Every episode also has one or two helicopter missions and a simple “fly from point A to point B” mission in the mix. A few missions take place at night, but the only noticeable difference is that you press a button to activate “night vision” that just casts a red filter over everything.

But like I said, the main draw of the game is the story. It’s mostly presented through simple portrait cutscenes before and after the missions, with an occasional bit of dialogue done via transmissions during the missions themselves. You play Martha Velasquez, a lieutenant in the titular Traffic Department that’s the city’s last line of defence against an alien invasion.

The game is a strung together series of Good Cop with a Bad Attitude clichés. Literally everyone she meets gets insulted repeatedly, generally with a few death threats peppered in. The story suggests that this is tolerated because she watched her father, who was also a TD officer, get killed when she was a child. The fact that this emotional trauma clearly made her a deranged lunatic who lashes out at anyone who looks at her twice and who clearly can"t be trusted with the kind of weaponized hovercrafts the Traffic Department deploys is kind of brushed aside. The lieutenant’s commander serves as a father figure and she is the only one she shows any kind of grudging respect for, but about halfway through the first episode he gets captured and executed on live television by the alien invaders, which results in her going completely off the rails.

So the story is heavily clichéd, but it’s still, in a way, very compelling, especially for an action game from the mid-nineties. However, as a child I was never able to get past mission seventeen of the shareware episode, where you have to defend your base against swarms of kamikaze attackers. A few years ago I noticed that the game was now available as freeware, and decided to pick it up again.

I managed to get past the mission, and defeat the final boss. It should be noted that the first episode, in the tradition of shareware games like Quake, is the only one that has an actual final boss battle. After you return from the nineteenth mission however, your helicopter blows up on the landing pad. At the start of the twentieth mission it turns out that you survived, with most of your body being replaced with cybernetics. Although your helicopter had exploded due to sabotage there’s no time to investigate, as Robo-Velasquez needs to go out there to destroy the enemy super-ship in the aforementioned only boss battle the game has.

in the final cutscene after that mission Velasquez gets attacked by an unknown assailant who promises to “finish the job.” The final words are “Continued in Episode 2.” Given the fact that Lieutenant Velasquez’ standard response to being wished a good morning was to tell the other party to go stick their dick in a power outlet, pretty much every character who survived to the end of the first episode had a reasonable motive to want her dead.

So we go into the part of the game that people were actually expected to pay for with a big mystery… which gets resolved twenty seconds into the cutscene introducing the first mission. Velasquez goes “It was this guy,” her commander says they"ll arrest him when he comes back, and Velasquez goes “Not good enough,” storms out of the office, hijacks a vehicle and goes after him herself. There’s a brief radio conversation between Velasquez and her assailant where her assailant basically goes “Yes! I did it! Because you were a total bitch to me!” before getting blown to bits.

From there the story develops a serious case of ADD. The first few missions, you"re suddenly fighting against street gangs who are taking advantage of the chaos created by the alien invasion. Then it turns out that the alien commander from the first episode is still alive, just as a defective clone. He’s positioned as the main threat for the second episode, then promptly gets killed off in a cutscene a mission later.

From there, the story just goes completely off the rails. While the story of the first episode mostly relied on the Loose Cannon trope, pretty much everything from bad sci-fi gets thrown in now. Cloning. Rogue cyborgs. Shady corporations. Rogue cyborgs that are actually reprogrammed clones of dead TD officers. The alien invaders suddenly develop a super weapon that lets them wipe out the city the game has taken place in until then, forcing the Traffic Department to relocate to another city. Along the way Velasquez assumes command of the Traffic Department. Of course, everyone hates her, but they mostly still follow her command because she’s the protagonist. It’s also revealed that she has a son, who is briefly used as a hostage before she manages to get him to ‘safety.’

All that is crammed into episode 2. In the penultimate mission of that episode, you kill the daughter of a general of the invading aliens. As a result, the general orders his second in command to “Flood the atmospheric envelope with Ulonium, then ignite the Ulonium with Ionized Vorozine.” Which is basically a sci-fi gibberish way of saying “wipe out all life on the planet.”

In episode three, the Traffic Department just barely escapes to the alien invaders’ home planet, where they establish a base in an abandoned mine. Over the course of the final episode, literally everyone but Velasquez and her son get killed, mostly due to her being either insane or incompetent. Along the way she runs into a race of shapeshifting aliens, thus ticking the final box on the sci-fi cliché bingo card.

The shapeshifting aliens belong to a race that was all but wiped out by the same alien invaders that destroyed all life on Velazquez’ home planet. They plan to take advantage of a power struggle in the aliens’ high command to place one of the shapeshifters on the throne of ‘The Overlord’ and turn them into pacifists.

So, after literally every sci-fi trope gets served up three or four times, and the protagonist has gotten pretty much everyone around her and everyone on her home planet killed, because she’s completely psychotic and refused at any time to back down, Velasquez finally reaches the point where only one of the alien generals is alive. At this point, the shapeshifting alien that was supposed to take on the identity of the Overlord suddenly decides to kill the last remaining general, and Velasquez for… whatever reason, decides to in stead join the invading aliens, becoming the supreme commander of the sector that includes her exterminated home planet. She, the woman who, again, got everyone killed because she was completely psychotic about getting revenge for the death of her father, suddenly decides that violence is not the answer. In the final mission Velasquez kills the shapeshifter, and walks off into the sunset.

So, the whole game boils down to narrative shareware syndrome, with everything compelling crammed into the first of three episodes. The remaining two are just completely insane. The person who wrote the script seemed compelled to cram in every cliché related to sci-fi at least twice, and turned the protagonist from an abrasive woman whose skills as a pilot just barely make up for her myriad personality flaws into a complete raving psycho who, as a final punch of crazy, decides that she’s not going to allow an alien with the exact same grudge as her get his revenge.

Everything about this crazy story reads like someone who badly needed about half a dozen editors, an enthusiastic amateur who wanted to cram in every trope and cliché in there. But this well-meaning but ultimately deeply flawed behemoth of a script was written by Chris Perkins, who currently works as the lead story developer for Dungeons and Dragons at Wizards of the Coast. And he’s not even the only person who worked on this oddity that would go on to have an interesting career. While the developers didn’t put out much of note after this game some of the music in it was composed by their younger brother Owen, who was thirteen at the time. Owen would go on to have an extensive career in music, up to and including an Academy Award nomination.