Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

In an age of smart phones and spy satellites I imagine crimes of this size would be easier to verify compared to the 1940s. :smith:

You don't even need spy satellites. Commercial satellite photography is capable of calling this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

When does Seattle get invaded

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Time for the Israeli government to be very offended that someone would say that, cash the annual check from the US and continue kissing Russia's rear end.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When does Seattle get invaded

Alec Baldwin's got a lot of practice shooting people as of late.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:wtc:

https://twitter.com/pmakela1/status/1511738373500772355?s=21&t=u3wZejKR01ea0KVmZwHQ8Q

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Add that to the mobile crematorium and Auschwitz is a pretty loving apt comparison. gently caress me dead.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Haven't seen this mentioned yet. The US senate voted unanimously to revive the Lend Lease program.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/06/senate-unanimously-approves-lend-lease-00023668

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

psydude posted:

Haven't seen this mentioned yet. The US senate voted unanimously to revive the Lend Lease program.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/06/senate-unanimously-approves-lend-lease-00023668

Wow. That's incredible.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

Was Rand in the shitter during the vote?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Apparently they thought they were signing up to be guards in Squid Game: https://mobile.twitter.com/Guderian_Xaba/status/1511961698420375552

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cimber posted:

Apparently they thought they were signing up to be guards in Squid Game: https://mobile.twitter.com/Guderian_Xaba/status/1511961698420375552

Really curious what kind of opinion a Siberian native would have on Putin's argument for dominion over Europe

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

This is really starting to confuse me.

How does Putin think he is going to win this? The longer this goes on, the less leverage he has in negotiation. I would even say that the "victory window" is now gone.

Unless the new goal is "kill Russians" I don't understand what is happening.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

At the rate Russia is burning through armored vehicles, I don't think we're too far from frontal assaults of Russian infantry across No Man's Land against entrenched Ukrainians with HMGs.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

A lot of commentators (that I watch, anyway) have argued that the only real outcome is stalemate. To that end, I agree. Ukraine isn't going to march into Moscow. And until the EU and the US finally get their act together on freezing Russia out of their economic sectors, I don't think (anymore) that sanctions will have enough bite to force Putin to agree to something like a peace status quo antebellum.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

A lot of commentators (that I watch, anyway) have argued that the only real outcome is stalemate. To that end, I agree. Ukraine isn't going to march into Moscow. And until the EU and the US finally get their act together on freezing Russia out of their economic sectors, I don't think (anymore) that sanctions will have enough bite to force Putin to agree to something like a peace status quo antebellum.

NATO really should start preparing for a protracted engagement here and begin medium-term planning to train and equip Ukrainians with modern weaponry and the necessary logistics. This should include all of the big and small stuff like counter-battery radar, PGMs, non-Russian aircraft, long-range air defenses, etc. That's really going to be the only way to end a stalemate where Russia cannot gain additional ground, but Ukraine lacks sufficient resources to take back what they've already lost.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Add that to the mobile crematorium and Auschwitz is a pretty loving apt comparison. gently caress me dead.

Wait a few years and I'm sure we'll hear more than we ever wanted about both sentences in The Hague.

Interesting to see how many ex-soviet satellites green light crash nuclear programs after (or during) this.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Cimber posted:

I don't get this one. Mind explaining it?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

I don't get this one. Mind explaining it?

Rubber slip on unfitted boots padded with flannel.

Not sure how long you'd walk in those before you are basically a giant blister.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Someone said rain, russian volunteers given wellies.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/scottdetrow/status/1512056787804909569?s=21&t=FiSEec-3b0OUHEsBCpQLHA

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You're gonna lose those boots the 1st millisecond you step in deep mud too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

How does Putin think he is going to win this? The longer this goes on, the less leverage he has in negotiation. I would even say that the "victory window" is now gone.

Ah, maybe it's a play to make their version of social security solvent.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

This shouldn't bother the Russians at all. After all, every Russian school child learns that lend lease didn't matter at all in the Great Patriotic War.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Cimber posted:

These look rather low-cut, but rubber high-boots are a godsend in marshy terrain, slush, etc.

E: Quoting the right post is useful

Loezi fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 7, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ASAPI posted:

The thing I've been thinking of recently is, what happens to Russia when the war "ends?" At this point they've been thoroughly dislocated from the international community and economy, their intentions in Ukraine have been revealed to be conquest at best and genocidal at worst, and it's not hyperbole to say that their war crimes are fast approaching Nazi levels. It's not like Western leaders are ever going to be seen reaching across a (really long) table to shake hands with Putin, so who does that leave? China? An increasingly nationalist India? Are they going to want to jeopardize their own standings in the world so they can cozy up to an underdeveloped mafia state?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Loezi posted:

These look rather low-cut, but rubber high-boots are a godsend in marshy terrain, slush, etc.

That Works posted:

You're gonna lose those boots the 1st millisecond you step in deep mud too.

Those boots are going to be hellish the moment water gets into them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quite interesting YouTube channel it’s intercepted Russian soldier calls that are translated.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCPzy5fPr7RDpw_vLSPMHMgQ

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Loezi posted:

Spotted the FDF soldier

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Cimber posted:

Those boots are going to be hellish the moment water gets into them.

Yeah, the image is some ersatz stuff, I was just commenting on the principle. And for the record, I agree that the standard military footwear is superior in most terrains and for longer marches.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The thing I've been thinking of recently is, what happens to Russia when the war "ends?" At this point they've been thoroughly dislocated from the international community and economy, their intentions in Ukraine have been revealed to be conquest at best and genocidal at worst, and it's not hyperbole to say that their war crimes are fast approaching Nazi levels. It's not like Western leaders are ever going to be seen reaching across a (really long) table to shake hands with Putin, so who does that leave? China? An increasingly nationalist India? Are they going to want to jeopardize their own standings in the world so they can cozy up to an underdeveloped mafia state?

Yeah, this is really getting me. I'm sure there are people who believe that Putin is playing some kind of 5D chess, but I can't see any positive outcomes coming from this.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe they're gearing up for an afternoon stroll through a bog.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

ASAPI posted:

A former advisor to Putin and Bond movie chief henchman offers a sample of the farts they're huffing in the Kremlin over here.

Most telling is this quote. It should be understood Russia = The Kremlin.

Sergey Karaganov posted:

Russia cannot afford to lose, so we need a kind of a victory
As I've said before, this is going to play out like the Falklands war, the Russian military will get wrecked and the Russian ethnonationalists the Kremlin has all pumped up with bloodlust will tear the faces off the Kremlin insiders for this humiliation.

That's why the Kremlin is scrambling around the country to find men and stuff to throw at Ukraine in order to keep up the impression of progress while hoping for a hail mary that could bring victory.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Keep seeing stories about Putin's daughters being sanctioned but I never get past the hairlines.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Keep seeing stories about Putin's daughters being sanctioned but I never get past the hairlines.

https://youtu.be/FfQWz4gVcP8

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

A former advisor to Putin and Bond movie chief henchman offers a sample of the farts they're huffing in the Kremlin over here.

Most telling is this quote. It should be understood Russia = The Kremlin.

As I've said before, this is going to play out like the Falklands war, the Russian military will get wrecked and the Russian ethnonationalists the Kremlin has all pumped up with bloodlust will tear the faces off the Kremlin insiders for this humiliation.

That's why the Kremlin is scrambling around the country to find men and stuff to throw at Ukraine in order to keep up the impression of progress while hoping for a hail mary that could bring victory.

IMO the question is going to be whether the refocus on the eastern front by Russia is going to be effective or not. The commanders there seem more competent and they have stronger logistics, if they're able to drive forward or even just establish lines that the Ukrainians can't penetrate then the end is probably that Donetsk and Luhansk get formally incorporated into Russia, they declare victory and go home, and the next decade is marked by a new Iron Curtain style split between whatever states align with Russia and whichever ones align with Europe.

If they can't do that, or if the Ukrainian forces are able to drive them back, then it's hard to see a way that Putin stays in power - it's going to be a vicious internal fight.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Notahippie posted:

IMO the question is going to be whether the refocus on the eastern front by Russia is going to be effective or not. The commanders there seem more competent and they have stronger logistics, if they're able to drive forward or even just establish lines that the Ukrainians can't penetrate then the end is probably that Donetsk and Luhansk get formally incorporated into Russia, they declare victory and go home, and the next decade is marked by a new Iron Curtain style split between whatever states align with Russia and whichever ones align with Europe.

If they can't do that, or if the Ukrainian forces are able to drive them back, then it's hard to see a way that Putin stays in power - it's going to be a vicious internal fight.

Realistically, who aligns with Russia a year from now? 5 years from now? I realize that's impossible to answer accurately, but the longer this drags on, the more difficult I find it to believe that any countries other than current pariahs (read: North Korea, Syria, Myanmar, etc.) will make that decision.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Pretty sure Hungary is actively making that decision right now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wickerman posted:

Pretty sure Hungary is actively making that decision right now.

I'm skeptical that Hungary had a fair election.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not surprising the Russians have low opinions on their Chechen fighters.

https://youtu.be/s-cuW1aQKxM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I wonder if Ukraine gets in the position to recap its former holdings and Russia is still trying to fight if we'll see punishment raids on Russian soil with Artillery and SF or if everyone thinks Putin might think even thats a step too far.