Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah it's just the first PPV in Singapore, there's been several fight nights in that exact same arena. But it sounds like it's gonna be a "winners get UFC contract" kind of tournament and not a "winners get a titleshot" kind of tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Winners get a free crypto.com t-shirt

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

evilpicard posted:

Show ape/win ape

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

evilpicard posted:

Debatable if they still be considered winners.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/BorrachinhaMMA/status/1511852574445645830

lmao costa is so loving weird

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

just talking about my young and sexy mom

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I wish Paulo Costa spent any of the time he does verbally shitposting on figuring out what the gently caress he's doing with his fighting career.

edit: Editing so as not to double post, but Tenshin/Takeru details have been announced: It's a 6-8 hour long pay-per-view with matches getting announced over the next couple months, the fight itself is 3 rounds with a must-win extension round if necessary, it's going to be held at Tenshin's 125 lb weight, and front row tickets will cost loving 3 million yen/roughly $24k-25k

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 7, 2022

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

evilpicard posted:

Tito Ortiz business model

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ringo Roadagain posted:

just talking about my young and sexy mom

https://twitter.com/borrachinhamma/status/1511839541627428869?s=21&t=iCDdOQJEUd4bFxkyGxfi6A

This dude’s Twitter is absolute gold.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CARL'S FIGHT BREAKDOWNS, EPISODE 11: YOU WAIT SO LONG

PRELIMS 3 PM PST/6 PM EST VIA ESPN | MAIN CARD 7 PM PST/10 PM EST VIA PAY PER VIEW

After our first weekend off in four months the UFC's month is kicking off with a card featuring a bunch of things people have wanted to see happen for a very long time, followed by a bunch of stuff nobody really wants.

mickey gall will never leave us alone

MAIN EVENT: THE DREAM
:piss:FEATHERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP: Alexander Volkanovski (c) vs Chan Sung Jung (#4):piss:
This is a thing everyone wanted, but few wanted it this way.

Alexander Volkanovski is somehow simultaneously one of the best fighters on the planet and consistently overlooked. He's 23-1, with his only loss coming four fights into his career--at welterweight. It's been nine years and twenty fights since the last time he lost, and that run has included victories over a half-dozen champions and the only two canonically acceptable answers for the greatest featherweight of all time, Jose Aldo and Max Holloway, the latter twice. What makes this even more impressive, and likely also contributes to his relative lack of notoriety, is that unlike the other people in the GOAT conversation Alexander Volkanovski, on the surface, doesn't seem to have a defining trait. Max Holloway has a granite chin and an unending gas tank, Jose Aldo is one of the best strikers in the sport, Bibiano Fernandes has preposterously high-level grappling, Conor McGregor in his prime was one of the most accurate counterpunchers in mixed martial arts history. Alexander Volkanovski doesn't really have a trademark advantage. We've seen him get stunned and wobbled by Holloway and outjabbed by Aldo and outgrappled and very nearly submitted by Brian Ortega. And that's where Volkanovski's defining trait reveals itself: He has an uncanny ability to just sort of decide not to loving lose. He'll walk through Holloway's punches to take his legs out from under him, he'll run the pipe on Aldo and pin him to the fence, he'll get put in multiple near-certain chokes by Brian Ortega four rounds into a fight, power out of them and be pounding his face in seconds later. Volkanovski is very good at every aspect of MMA, and has one of the most inexplicably underrated leg kicking games in the sport, but thing that really puts him above his competition is his ability to force his gameplan over whatever his opponents think they're going to do to him.

Chan Sung Jung was not supposed to be here today. "The Korean Zombie" has been at the precipice of world title contention for virtually his entire 17-6 career, but he's only gotten the opportunity twice and both were because the guy they actually wanted couldn't make it. The first time was a featherweight championship match against Jose Aldo back in 2013 after Anthony Pettis tore his meniscus, and this time he's the fill-in after Max Holloway had to bow out of a third crack at Volkanovski. This is the lifelong frustration of being a Chan Sung Jung fan (that isn't mandatory military service stealing two and a half years of his prime): He's a fantastic fighter, but he's perennially stuck at being Almost A Top Guy. Great all-arounder; couldn't threaten Jose Aldo. Exceptional boxer; knocked out by Yair Rodriguez one second before the fight ended. Seems like he's finally, really got it all together and is on the precipice of title contention; gets completely dominated by Brian Ortega in every facet of the game. He's a funny, charismatic personality and he's never had a boring fight in his life, it's impossible not to want him to get that moment in the spotlight, but when you get one second away from winning a main event only to get knocked out by a blind reverse elbow, it's hard not to feel the universe just doesn't have it in the cards. Even now that he has another title opportunity, it feels misplaced. He's coming off just one victory, an uncharacteristically patient but dominant performance against Dan Ige, and he's only one fight removed from his Brian Ortega shellacking, a man Alexander Volkanovski punched straight into the hospital. Fight odds have him hovering around being a +500-600 underdog, putting him in Julianna Peña territory. Is he going to shock the world, too?

You know the heartbreaking answer. Alexander Volkanovski by decision. I'm a huge Volkanovski fan, and I would absolutely sacrifice him on the underdog pyre if it meant seeing Chan Sung Jung win a world loving championship, but I just don't think it's going to happen. His best chance is going to come from using his speed and accuracy to hurt Volkanovski, and given the chance he absolutely could, but I don't think he can do it often enough to keep Volkanovski off of him, especially after he's had his legs chipped down for three rounds. I don't think Alex will get a finish, but I do think he'll get a 50-45.

CO-MAIN EVENT: IT'S GOING TO BE SUCH A RELIEF FOR PEOPLE TO STOP loving TALKING ABOUT THIS FIGHT
:piss:BANTAMWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP UNIFICATION: Aljamain Sterling (c) vs Petr Yan (ic):piss:
Christ, it's finally going to be over.

For anyone who doesn't somehow already know this story, this is a rematch of a fight from just over one year ago. Aljamain "Funkmaster" Sterling, arguably the best wrestler and grappler in the bantamweight division, capped off an amazing five-fight run and the only stoppage loss of Cory Sandhagen's career with a victory over Petr Yan to notch the best win of his 20-3 career and win the bantamweight championship of the world! Except despite some early success wrestling and kicking Yan around the cage he pretty visibly gassed out after the second round, and he was getting the absolute poo poo beaten out of him to the point that making it to a decision looked doubtful, and then Petr Yan, being a smart, smart man, illegally and extremely intentionally kneed him in the face while he was on the ground. Sterling couldn't continue, and despite arguing his case to the ringside doctor, he became the first person to ever win a UFC title by disqualification. The visibly necessary rematch was booked twice, and got pushed back both times so Sterling could rehab a persistent neck injury, during which time the UFC booked Yan into an interim championship fight with poor Cory Sandhagen, who just cannot stop getting picked off by the absolute top of the division. Thirteen months later, the rematch is finally, unavoidably here, and Aljamain Sterling says he, his neck, his wrestling and his gas tank are ready.

Unsurprisingly, Petr Yan disagrees, and he's got a pretty solid case. He's one of the scariest fighters in the UFC: 16-2, insanely well-conditioned, insanely well-rounded, and just extremely loving mean. No less than Dustin Poirier named Yan as the best boxer in the UFC, citing not just his accuracy and power but the cleanliness of his technique, which is extremely visible in almost everything he does. Petr Yan does not waste motion. His throws are crisp, his kicks are fast, and his punches, which make up the majority of his offense, are tight, chipping and devastating. In a sport that still sees overhand bolo punches as an offensive staple, Petr Yan obliterates people with jabs and textbook-perfect hooks, punctuated by power wrestling and ground and pound so vicious it got living violence elemental Douglas Silva de Andrade's ordinarily blood-drinking cornermen to wave off a fight just so he wouldn't get hit any more. He front kicked Urijah Faber's face off, he punched Jose Aldo into dust, he's only lost one fight in the UFC and it was a disqualification that he still doesn't feel was valid, because he's a jerk, and he wants revenge for it.

And, I mean. He's gonna get it. The logistics of this fight haven't changed at all. Sterling still poses virtually no threat to Yan on the feet, his only hope is outgrappling him, and he already tried to do it once and was on his way to getting murdered for it before the illegal knee. His best hope for this fight isn't even getting a takedown and outgrappling Yan on the floor, it's climbing into the backpack and choking him out in the clinch, and he's got about one and a half rounds to do that before the cardio/sweat window closes on him. I personally would like that to happen, partially because I like Aljo but mostly because the Discourse surrounding the first fight and his apparent cowardice was so insanely tiring that his choking Yan out would be loving hilarious. But he won't. Petr Yan by TKO in the third or fourth.

MAIN CARD: DESPERATELY TRYING TO GET PREFERRED PEOPLE TITLE SHOTS
:piss:WELTERWEIGHT: Gilbert Burns (#2) vs Khamzat Chimaev (#11):piss:
Gilbert Burns has been enjoying a career renaissance. He was always a very good fighter, but by mid-2018 most had consigned him to gatekeeper status, good enough to stop the Jason Saggos and Dan Morets of the world but not enough to reach the top or possibly even a top ten. Dan Hooker knocked him dead and as a lightweight nearing his mid-30s that seemed like the end of the line. And then he won six fights in a row across both lightweight and welterweight, knocked out Demian Maia, dominated Tyron Woodley and in his shot at the welterweight championship he nearly decapitated Kamaru Usman in the first round before getting knocked out in the third. He's 20-4 and he's figured himself out, and in doing so has become a severe threat everywhere--his world-class jiu-jitsu lets him turn every strike he throws into a home run shot and his conditioning lets him throw flying knees in the third round.

But then, there's Khamzat Chimaev. 10-0 and Swedish by way of Chechnya, Khamzat started wrestling at five and never really stopped; he was a champion in Russia, he was a champion in Sweden, and most important to Dana White's pocketbook, he was the champion of the UFC's exceedingly silly pandemic era. Chimaev got his first taste of international attention not for his middleweight UFC debut, which he won in dominant fashion, but for fighting on a second UFC card ten days later, at welterweight, and winning even more overwhelmingly, and his reputation promptly exploded a few months later when he met the very, very tough Gerald Meerschaert, who promised to show the world what happens when Chimaev fights someone who's actually good. Chimaev knocked him out in seventeen seconds. And then, his hype train having reached maximum velocity, he retired, as he shockingly had contracted COVID from all of his COVID fights and could barely breathe. Medical attention and a bunch of money later, Khamzat came out of retirement this past October, fought his first top ten opponent in the extremely skilled Li Jingliang, and ragdolled him so effortlessly that he at one point held his squirming body in midair while conversing with Dana White about his next fight. The UFC loves Khamzat, the internet loves Khamzat, horrifically evil warlord Ramzan Kadyrov loves Khamzat, and an awful lot of people have him pegged as the next world champion, to the point that despite Gilbert Burns being 7 for his last 8 and having just recently almost knocked out Kamaru Usman, oddsmakers have Chimaev as a huge -500 favorite. Would anyone dare pick against him?

gently caress it, why not. Gilbert Burns by TKO. I'm sure it's a dumb decision driven too much by my desire to see Dana and Kadyrov get mad, but I'm manifesting it into the world. It's not because I don't believe in his skills, Khamzat Chimaev is really loving good, but he's a really good steamroller. He's got huge knockout power but he's only used it against people like Meerschaert who throw at a glacial pace, he's got dominating wrestling but he's only used it against people like Phillips and Jingliang who don't really have a bottom game. Khamzat has never had an MMA fight against someone he couldn't do whatever the hell he wanted to, and now he's going to be simultaneously fighting the best striker and grappler of his career. I have no doubt whatsoever that he'll be able to double-leg Burns; what interests me is what happens when Burns gets back up. I'm not sure Khamzat is capable of not being a steamroller, and I think Gilbert will make Khamzat pay for it the second he gets tired from trying to constantly get him out of there. I acknowledge this is probably a dumb call, but sometimes you must live dangerously.

WOMEN'S STRAWWEIGHT: Mackenzie Dern (#5) vs Tecia Torres (#7)
The UFC really, really wants Mackenzie Dern to be a title contender. I mean no disrespect to her for this, to be clear. She's 11-2, she's a world-class grappler with more gold medals in jiu-jitsu than most of the rest of the roster combined, she is absolutely UFC-calibre as a fighter. But they were trying to advertise her as a title contender two fights into her UFC tenure, and then very carefully rebuilt her with a series of overmatched opponents only to have her get dominated in a title contendership fight by Marina Rodriguez--and now, one fight removed from that, they've been talking in interviews about how close she is to contendership and how this fight against someone ranked lower than her could still do it. They see Dern as the most marketable woman at 115 and they would absolutely love to get her in that spot.

And playing spoiler as she often has is the Tiny Tornado herself, Tecia Torres. Tecia has long been one of the hardest-working people in the UFC, making up for being one of the smallest competitors in her weight class (and thus the entire sport) with an endless gas tank and an extremely scrappy ground game, and while her 13-5 record looks a little unimpressive on paper, it gets decidedly less so when you realize four of those five losses were to world champions (and the fifth to the aforementioned Marina Rodriguez, who'll be getting her shot very soon), and she managed to take rounds off all of them. As twenty-one other women will tell you, taking a round away from Zhang Weili is a hard loving thing to do. She's much more scrap than power--she's only finished 2 out of her 13 wins--but she's also never been stopped.

The UFC is banking on the hope that Dern's size and grappling advantage will see her get the win here. I do not agree. Tecia Torres punches her way to another decision. Dern's standup has improved, but not nearly enough to put Tecia in trouble, and I think she's too fast and too solid a counter-wrestler to let Dern get her on the ground in the first place. I think Torres will do what Torres does: Land a bunch of punches, not do a lot of damage, but pretty clearly take a decision. If Dern gets her down, though, she's in fuckin' trouble.

LIGHTWEIGHT: Vinc Pichel vs Mark Madsen
Yeah, I hope you enjoyed those last four fights, because we're taking a real, real violent downturn from here. Vinc "From Hell" Pichel is one of those fighters people regularly forget exists. At 14-2 he's by no means bad: He's a very solid grappler and a decent striker. But he's gotten absolutely destroyed by superior wrestlers in his two cracks at the top ten, one of which was a very entertaining suplex knockout at the hands of poor lost Rustam Khabilov, and he's only managed one fight a year for the past four years, which has made it easy for him to slip through the cracks in the shark tank that is the lightweight division.

By contrast, Danish wrestler Mark Madsen is 11-0 and 75% of his MMA career happened in the same amount of time it took Vinc to have his last three fights. He entered the UFC with the amount of hype you'd expect for an Olympic silver medalist, and his first two fights were dominant affairs, and he'd probably be a heavy favorite had he not run into the crushing, viselike grip of 2021-era Clay Guida, who took him to a real interesting split decision. As it turns out, when you have both the counter-wrestling and the gas tank to push Mark Madsen back, things get funny and some real not-great striking starts coming out of him.

Fortunately for him he's fighting Vinc Pichel. Pichel's actually a betting favorite in this fight, and given his historic problems with power wrestlers, I cannot help feeling that's kind of silly. Madsen's going to ground him out and get a decision.

PRELIMS: THANK YOU FOR BEING A FREMD
WELTERWEIGHT: Ian Garry vs Darian Weeks
It's always a good sign when your prelim headliner is two dudes without wikipedia pages, but it makes a lot more sense when you realize it's part of the UFC's latest cloning project: Ian "The Future" Garry is an 8-0 Irish former Cage Warriors champion knockout artist who is so thoroughly trying to be Conor McGregor that he quoted him after his UFC debut and called out Nate Diaz while he was still in the UK. He hits real hard and he's a pretty good counterstriker, but he also has a bad habit of defending strikes by sticking his head straight up in the air and walking backwards, and consequently was getting touched up by the 9-5 guy they matched him against who had recently gotten blown out by Mickey goddamn Gall before Garry knocked him out. They are following this up by putting him against Darian Weeks, who is 5-1, four and a half inches shorter and 0-1 in the UFC, as they gave him Bryan goddamn Barberena for his debut. There's some Tale of Two Cities poo poo going on, here. Weeks has some decent wrestling and some very solid kicks, and they are absolutely intending him to be a sacrificial lamb.

And it's probably gonna work. Ian Garry isn't nearly as good as the UFC is already making him out to be, but he is a very solid counterpuncher with a very solid right, and nothing invites counter rights like an overreliance on kicks. Ian Garry gets the KO and we all get treated to another Conor's Greatest Hits speech.

HEAVYWEIGHT: Jairzinho Rozenstruik (#8) vs Marcin Tybura (#10)
This fight has very different connotations for its competitors. Jairzinho Rozenstruik is fighting to prove he's still a top heavyweight. This time two years ago Bigi Boy was an undefeated top prospect, a terrifying kickboxer who'd just punched Alistair Overeem's mouth in half, and five fights later he's 12-3 and has already been largely forgotten as a relevant heavyweight. Which is a shame, as those three losses were Francis Ngannou, Ciryl Gane and Curtis Blaydes, arguably the top three in the division. Marcin "Tybur" Tybura has had the opposite path: A couple years into his UFC tenure he had a losing record and was about to be cut, but he got superpowers from COVID, improved his wrestling game and propelled himself into the top ten for the first time during the pandemic era with a five-fight win streak that was finally cut short by Alexander Volkov this past October. Now 22-7, Tybura wants to cling as tightly as possible to the top ten spot he spent half a decade trying to obtain.

I don't think it's going to work out well for him. Tybura very much needs this fight on the ground, and Rozenstruik is no wrestler, but he was able to get up from under Curtis Blaydes and even stuff him several times. Tybura also likes to lead into his wrestling with a headfirst, hard-nosed style, and it's gotten him dropped and finished by lesser strikers on several occasions. Jairzinho Rozenstruik gets the TKO.

WOMEN'S BANTAMWEIGHT: Aspen Ladd (#4) vs Raquel Pennington (#7)
It's open season at women's bantamweight with Amanda Nunes no longer holding the title, and everyone's piling in hoping to get the next crack at the top. Aspen Ladd, signed straight from the top of the card in Invicta, was seen as a near-certainty for title contention after three straight UFC wins. And then Germaine de Randamie ended her undefeated streak by knocking her out in sixteen seconds. Aspen's now 9-2 and coming off a loss after an ill-advised fight at featherweight. She's every bit a pressure wrestleboxer: All of her effective offense comes from either heavy punches up close or ground and pound. She's up against Raquel "Rocky" Pennington, who an old friend of mine used to train with and swore would be a world champion one day. Her 13-8 record makes that statement seem very funny, but it's a lot less lousy when you realize seven of those losses came against world champions and world title contenders, and the only outlier was her second fight. She's a frustrating fighter to follow, to be honest: Her single biggest strength is aggression, and she's won numerous fights by bullrushing opponents with punches, loving them up in the clinch and forcing them onto the ground, but when placed against competition she can't effectively bully she tends to have severe trouble adapting and winds up idling while getting intermittently beaten up.

This is a close one. Both are pressure fighters, both are wrestleboxers, both do their best work on the ground. Ladd is a little more striking-focused and Pennington a little more grappling-focused. I think this one might just come down to who has the gas tank and the grit to pressure the other harder and for longer, and in the event of such a dogfight, I'm going with Raquel Pennington by decision. It's pretty much a pick 'em, though. Also, fun maybe-fact: As Raquel Pennington and Tecia Torres are engaged, I'm prety sure this is the first time a pair of spouses will fight on the same UFC card.

WELTERWEIGHT: Mickey Gall vs Mike Malott
Mickey Gall was brought into the UFC as a rookie to destroy CM Punk. That was more than half a decade ago. If you close your eyes, can you feel the rubbery flesh of your brain beginning to recede as you age? Mickey Gall is 7-4 now. When did you last feel the weight of your time on Earth? Mickey Gall has a lot of submission victories, but no one he's ever defeated is still employed by the UFC. Do you remember what it was like to be a child? "Proper" Mike Malott was a lightweight champion in Canada who washed out of both Bellator and the World Series of Fighting before successfully becoming a Contender Series winner and getting the call up to the big show at 7-1-1, where his straight counters and willingness to immediately jump on submissions will hopefully get him paid above minimum wage for the first time in his fighting career. How many relationships that once meant the world to you were with people whose names you have to squint and strain to recall?

Entropy takes us all in the end. The remnants of our being are as immaterial as the atoms that created them, and we are saved in eternity only by the web of emotional grace that binds us all and carries the ashes of our consciousness. Mike Malott by decision, because gently caress Mickey Gall.

HEAVYWEIGHT: Alexey Oleinik vs Jared Vanderaa
This is a replacement of a rescheduling of a replacement. Alexey Oleinik was supposed to fight Greg Hardy, but couldn't make the fight, and then he was supposed to fight Ilir Latifi, but Latifi got COVID, and then their fight got moved to this card, but shockingly two weeks was not enough time to get over COVID and be in fighting shape, and thus, on eleven days' notice, it's time for Jared Vanderaa. Alexey Oleinik is one of the best grapplers at heavyweight, but he's also 59-16-1 and turning 45 in a couple months. He's roadworn as poo poo and he moves as though simultaneously stuck in molasses and weighed down by the guilt of betraying his homeland. Jared Vanderaa is fighting to retain "prospect anyone cares about" status, as he's gone 1-3 in the UFC for a grand total of 12-7, and even in victory he didn't look particularly impressive. This is in large part because he's entirely straightforward as a fighter. He wants to walk directly towards you and he wants to wing punches into your face, and if need be, he wants to get you in the clinch and try to take you down by way of raw power more than technique. Even at heavyweight, that will only get you so far.

That said: I think it will take him far enough here. Oleinik's got some of the slowest striking in the division and Vanderaa should be able to tee off on him at will, and he's also bigger, stronger and has enough counter-wrestling ability that Oleinik won't be able to bully him to the ground like he has so many before, nor does he have the gas tank to hold him in the clinch for three rounds. Jared Vanderaa gets the TKO eventually, and the part of me that remembers seeing Oleinik fight two decades ago will be sad, but the part that remembers Oplot will be happy.

MIDDLEWEIGHT: Anthony Hernandez vs Josh Fremd
Anthony "Fluffy" Hernandez has an 8-2 career defined largely by bad goddamn luck. He definitively won his Contender Series contract fight, but tested positive for the worst PED of all, marijuana, and had to sit out most of the year. He joined the UFC, but got run down by Markus Perez, Kevin Holland and COVID. He scored the biggest win of his career by not just defeating but choking out the undefeated multiple-time world jiu-jitsu champion Rodolfo Vieira, and then sat out for an entire year again thanks to a succession of injuries and rebookings. Josh Fremd, on the other hand, is the very rare non-Contender-series debut. He's a 6'4", 9-2 LFA veteran who's shown some impressive all-around skills, particularly as one of those irritatingly tall people capable of both pecking away at people at range and murdering them in the clinch, but he's also faced primarily regional-level competition, and his one UFC-tier opponent, Gregory "Robocop" Rodrigues, knocked him dead in two and a half minutes.

This is unabashedly an entrance exam for Fremd, and I think he's gonna pass. Josh Fremd by TKO. Anthony Hernandez is a big threat if he gets position for a choke, but Fremd is not only a solid grappler but a much bigger, stronger fighter, and we've already seen the kind of trouble Hernandez has with them. I think Fremd will hurt him in the clinch and finish him on the followup.

WOMEN'S STRAWWEIGHT: Piera Rodriguez vs Kay Hansen
It's entrance exam time again. Piera "La Fiera" Rodriguez is yet another Contender Series pickup (one day this won't be notable anymore and I dread it more and more with every passing event) who came in as LFA's strawweight champion. She's an undefeated 7-0, with a pretty tactically sound, striking-focused style. Her earlier fights showed her striking very effectively but often getting stung thanks to her own aggression, but her Contender Series fight saw her much more patient and reserved. Kay Hansen probably isn't fighting to save her job, but she probably IS fighting to keep herself from being in that position. After a decent run in Invicta she got pulled into the UFC and immediately scored the highlight of her career by submitting the exceptionally tough Jinh Yu Frey. And then she lost, so she immediately went up to 125 pounds, where she lost even worse, so now she's back to 115. Grappling is her entire game, and she will wade directly into strikes to get takedowns, and this does not always work out great for her.

I don't think it will work out great for her here. Piera Rodriguez hits too hard and too often not to make Hansen pay if she comes in recklessly, and Hansen hasn't shown a lot of wrestling technique to give me the impression she has another option up her sleeve. Piera Rodriguez punches and sprawls her way to a decision victory.

:piss:BANTAMWEIGHT: Julio Arce vs Daniel Santos:piss:
This is a smart fight to kick off the card with, as it should be really loving fun. Julio Arce is a striker by trade, and good enough at it that he spent most of his career at featherweight, beat guys like Dan Ige, and racked up a 17-5 record. He's long and very good at landing bombs at range, but living by the sword means occasionally dying by the sword, as in his last fight when Song Yadong dropped him on his face and pounded him out. Daniel "Willycat" Santos, who I can only assume is really into the Thundercats, is our debuting Brazilian prospect: 10-1, big fan of wild swinging punches, three separate knockouts by way of spinning poo poo. This has a real good chance of being the correct kind of silly.

Gonna go with Julio Arce by decision, though. Tape on Santos is limited, but he likes his fights shorter and he likes going all-out for finishes, and Arce is much more experienced and much more capable of metering his output. Santos will probably look real, real good at the beginning and get beaten up towards the end.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
another excellent carl preview!

i will note that, while they are currently separated, the buyses were the first married couple to fight on the same ufc card

lets see if team torres-pennington can one up them and be a couple that actually wins their fights

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

i will note that, while they are currently separated, the buyses were the first married couple to fight on the same ufc card

Mark and Montana De La Rosa fought on this card together in 2020

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My ahistorical romance memories.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

evilpicard posted:

UFC to Start Paying Bonuses to Fighters in Cryptocurrency

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

lmfao at least back in the early 2000s when the ufc paid bonuses in xbox 360s, you actually got something. Can't play Oblivion on Octacoin :capitalism:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

as a bonus for putting on the fight of the night, here's a gif of you getting knocked out

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/VM_TV_/status/1512113767689207809?t=BPJqtExu1uV2YP3Bk0yoBA&s=19

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Do you think Conor does his Lanky Kong walk even when there are no cameras, or are his attorneys just like "what the gently caress is he doing that with his arms for" the second he crosses the threshold and sees the paparazzi

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

For those not wanting to click link:

https://twitter.com/robnashville/status/1512080864468889611

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

seems bad!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Uncle Dana's locker room crypto bonuses.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Amazing to find a way to bilk your fighters even out of fake money

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
The fine print is going to make the fighters owe the UFC money when the price dips or if it goes too high its capped in someway.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I want to note just for the sheer rarity of it that Friday night's PFL Challenger Series has a Women's 155 fight on it
Jackie Cataline (1-0) vs. Jeslen Mishelle (1-0) (Light)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Digital Jedi posted:

The fine print is going to make the fighters owe the UFC money when the price dips or if it goes too high its capped in someway.

if price goes up, you pay us 90% of the difference. if price goes down, you owe us 90% back for making the sponsor look like dipshits

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1311417669107830784
:lol:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That gall/malott preview hits hard

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

zombie's winning. go zombie

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Aye Doc posted:

zombie's winning. go zombie

not the betting game thread, but ill win like $90 if our collective main man chan sung "the korean zombie" and prince of our hearts jung beats my pal the champ so i hope you're right

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Aljo brought a football helmet and a rulebook to the press conference

lol he learned a bit of Russian too

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Parley sterling/zombie/giblert. No way that can miss right?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

not the betting game thread, but ill win like $90 if our collective main man chan sung "the korean zombie" and prince of our hearts jung beats my pal the champ so i hope you're right

it's the feel good story we need in this time of darkness. it's the maximum amount of hope i will let myself commit to in one singular moment. korean zombie.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

evilpicard posted:

Aljo brought a football helmet and a rulebook to the press conference

lol he learned a bit of Russian too

He learned absolutely no Russian, that was embarrassing to listen to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

Khamzat came out of retirement this past October, fought his first top ten opponent in the extremely skilled Li Jingliang

While I think Li was a serious step for Chimaev, i wouldn’t describe him as extremely skilled. Good power, very tough, but pretty one dimensional.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I dunno, I think that sells him a little short. If his success came from just brawling I'd agree with you, but he's deceptively good at drawing people out of their gameplans. Taking ultra-seasoned fighters like Ponzinibbio and Zaleski and getting them hurt, frustrated and overextending enough to get knocked out is really, really difficult, and he's good enough at wrestling to take Neil Magny down, which is not easy. I don't think he's hitting the top 5 anytime soon, but I don't think extremely skilled is out of the question.

But this is also an ultra-subjective argument and ultimately we're both wrong because all fighters are bad.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That dude seems like a really good guy

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Mixed Molly whoppery has a great mini doc on Petr Yan. All his stuff is great but this is some of his best work

https://youtu.be/tDiD4NGTAp0

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bluedeanie posted:

Do you think Conor does his Lanky Kong walk even when there are no cameras, or are his attorneys just like "what the gently caress is he doing that with his arms for" the second he crosses the threshold and sees the paparazzi

I think there’s some long exposure to it. He might be turning it on and off to some degree, but he must think of it as part of his own image. In one of the Embeddeds, his dad shows up and has a milder version of the same walk.

CarlCX posted:

I dunno, I think that sells him a little short. If his success came from just brawling I'd agree with you, but he's deceptively good at drawing people out of their gameplans. Taking ultra-seasoned fighters like Ponzinibbio and Zaleski and getting them hurt, frustrated and overextending enough to get knocked out is really, really difficult, and he's good enough at wrestling to take Neil Magny down, which is not easy.

I will concede that he has a Homer-esque ability to make other fighters look surprisingly bad, while making himself look better (as opposed to just making the fight a stinker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Does ONEFC have no PPVs? All their content is free?