Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

I remember polling done a few months after the 2020 BLM protests showing most black Americans preferred the same level of policing with the the rest being split between more and less. The discourse on SA on the time would have had you believe it was overwhelming defund and reduce the police, there really seems to be a huge disconnect on what black Americans want vs leftists think is best w/r/t to police and crime

Iirc black polling has bands of opinion that break along age lines, with younger black people who are more likely to be targets of police harassment and violence being more likely to support reduced policing

Which makes sense since greater policing is objectively more of a threat to their personal well-being

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to science, the best thing to do is not get a security system, but do get a dog and put a sign on your yard/windows claiming you do have a security system.

Does it have to be an aggressive dog, or is it just as effective to have a total cuddlepuppy who will let you walk off with the silver if you rub his belly as long as his bark sounds fearsome enough to deter burglars from getting close enough to find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

So it turns out people stop liking you when you say you’re going to help them and then let the help just dry up. Huh.

Trump was not into putting effort into anything, especially while he was president, but as much as he could, he REALLY wanted to send another round of checks out for Covid relief in September 2020. The GOP congress nixed it because money is for weapons and banker pals, not people.

I think it's really safe to say that had those checks gone out, he would have won-re-election. Even a con man knows that you gotta give the rubes -something-, and put your name on it in big freaking letters.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The easiest way I found not to be burgled is not have anything of worth. Two decades robber free, baby!

Or never take down the hurricane boards like I did for a couple years after katrina

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

It depends.

According to studies, just putting a sign in your front yard that says you have a security system can reduce your chance of being burgled (even if you don't actually have a security system) and having visible cameras and alarms also dramatically reduces your chance of being burgled.

But, for most people, the likelihood of getting burgled combined with the average value of the most commonly burgled materials means that an expensive security system is usually not worth the money.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/how-to-deter-burglars.html

According to science, the best thing to do is not get a security system, but do get a dog and put a sign on your yard/windows claiming you do have a security system.

In cybersecurity they call these deterrent controls. That dog might also be a detective control (barks a lot and wakes the owner) or a preventive control (chases you off), but even just the "I love my Great Dane" sign can discourage casual and opportunistic thieves even if the dog itself is a Scooby Doo toy on the couch. It won't do a thing to someone who really wants to hit your house, but if you just to grab some stuff from an easy target why not check the place with no dog first?

Though the "I really want to shoot a prowler!" genre of warning signs might be counterproductive since they suggest that you have firearms which are portable, valuable for illegal resale, and maybe not in a secure safe when you're out of the house.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Trump was not into putting effort into anything, especially while he was president, but as much as he could, he REALLY wanted to send another round of checks out for Covid relief in September 2020. The GOP congress nixed it because money is for weapons and banker pals, not people.

I think it's really safe to say that had those checks gone out, he would have won-re-election. Even a con man knows that you gotta give the rubes -something-, and put your name on it in big freaking letters.

it is astonishing to see the collected Smart People In The Room, now safely back in power, proving themselves stupider than Donald Trump

that is a high bar to clear

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Though I'm stole from everyday, just not in my home. Just on my paycheck, paying my rent, etc etc

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

Ok? That's great, I'm glad you have a secure home. I assume you also welcome all people into society. If / when I own a home I plan to make sure it's secure, too. Probably by just putting a light with a motion sensor up, and/or a fake camera.

Right and Willa made a comment on their need to broadcast out to everyone their home is secure which isn't actually part of securing a home. That's the connection you were missing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Here's your insane and confusing news story for the day:

The DOJ just arrested two men who were engaging in a long and extremely well-funded scheme to bribe Secret Service agents, pretend they were DHS employees, and become friends with Secret Service agents in charge of several different protective duties - including the first lady.

They gave over $70,000 worth of gifts and bribes to Secret Service agents and spent almost a year setting this up. They also had illegally snuck in monitoring devices and guns into their D.C. apartment.

They were eventually caught by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service in a completely random event where they were investigating an assault on a mail carrier that happened in their apartment building and when they asked around for witnesses the two men gave their fake DHS information. The Post Office eventually discovered that information was fake and turned them in to the FBI.

But, despite being very well-funded and these two spending a year of their lives setting this up, the FBI has no idea what they were trying to accomplish.

https://twitter.com/DKaplanFox5DC/status/1511823209955479555

quote:

US: 2 posed as agents, gave gifts to Secret Service officers

WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors on Wednesday charged two men they say were posing as federal agents, giving free apartments and other gifts to U.S. Secret Service agents, including one who worked on the first lady’s security detail.

The two men — Arian Taherzadeh, 40, and Haider Ali, 36 — were taken into custody as more than a dozen FBI agents charged into a luxury apartment building in Southeast Washington on Wednesday evening.

Prosecutors allege Taherzadeh and Ali had falsely claimed to work for the Department of Homeland Security and work on a special task force investigating gang and violence connected to the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. They allege the two posed as law enforcement officers to integrate with actual federal agents.

Taherzadeh is accused of providing Secret Service officers and agents with rent-free apartments — including a penthouse worth over $40,000 a year — along with iPhones, surveillance systems, a drone, flat screen television, a generator, gun case and other policing tools, according to court documents.

He also offered to let them use a black GMC SUV that he identified as an “official government vehicle,” prosecutors say. In one instance, Taherzadeh offered to purchase a $2,000 assault rifle for a Secret Service agent who is assigned to protect the first lady.

Prosecutors said four Secret Service employees were placed on leave earlier this week as part of the investigation.

The plot unraveled when the U.S. Postal Inspection Service began investigating an assault involving a mail carrier at the apartment building and the men identified themselves as being part of a phony Homeland Security unit they called the U.S. Special Police Investigation Unit.

Prosecutors say the men had also set up surveillance in the building and had been telling residents there that they could access any of their cellphones at any time. The residents also told investigators they believed the men had access to their personal information.

Taherzadeh and Ali are scheduled to appear in court on Thursday. It was not immediately clear if they had lawyers who could comment on the allegations.

Authorities did not detail what, if anything, the men were aiming to accomplish by posing as law enforcement officers or by providing the gifts. Prosecutors said the investigation remains ongoing.

https://apnews.com/article/us-secret-service-956062f32e02854112b7c52794d202b2

quote:

The DOJ accused two D.C. men on Wednesday of orchestrating an expensive and high-profile scheme to ingratiate themselves with federal agents and members of the White House Secret Service detail, but was short on details about how they executed such a plot — or why they allegedly did it.

Arian Taherzadeh and Haider Ali were each charged with impersonating a federal officer, according to an April 5 complaint.

But an affidavit attached to the complaint, filed by an FBI agent, describes a bizarre scheme that the two allegedly ran to make inroads with multiple Secret Service agents and one DHS agent. The pair allegedly impersonated members of an elite DHS police force, while spending tens of thousands of dollars on free apartments for Secret Service members in their D.C. Navy Yard luxury building.

Federal prosecutors are silent on where the money or direction came from for the alleged operation, saying only that the investigation is ongoing. Taherzadeh and Ali directed at least one neighbor in their Navy Yard apartment complex to gather information on someone who was providing “support” to the intelligence community and Pentagon, the affidavit says, and gave thousands of dollars in gifts to other residents who were agents with the Secret Service.

Those gifts allegedly included “iPhones, surveillance systems, a drone, a flat screen television, a case for storing an assault rifle, a generator, and law enforcement paraphernalia.”

The complaint was filed one day after four Secret Service members were placed on administrative leave in connection with the allegations.

Local news in D.C. showed images of a team of FBI agents in heavy tactical gear raiding multiple units in the Navy Yard building.

According to the affidavit, the probe began after postal inspectors began to investigate a March 14 assault on a mailman in the building.

Residents in the apartment complex told the feds that that Taherzadeh and Ali had potentially witnessed the attack.

When postal inspectors interviewed the two, the affidavit says, they ID-ed themselves as federal agents — supposedly members of the U.S. Special Police Investigation Unit and as “deputized ‘special police'” with D.C. city government, all focused on “undercover gang-related investigations” and Jan. 6-related probes.

The postal inspectors continued their investigation, the affidavit says.

That revealed a black GMC SUV, outfitted with emergency lights, that the pair described as their “official DHS vehicle,” that the two told residents Uncle Sam was footing the bill for the multiple apartments they rented in the complex, and that they had set up “video surveillance” of the building, telling their neighbors that they could access their cell phones at any time.

What’s more, the affidavit says that postal inspectors found that the pair were, in fact, in regular contact with Secret Service agents living in the same complex, giving them and their families gifts and rides in their SUV.

All this led the postal inspectors to share what they were finding about Taherzadeh and Ali with the FBI.

The affidavit recounts several interviews that the FBI had with residents of the complex, including one resident who agreed to go through training to become “deputized” as a DHS agent. That training purportedly involved Taherzadeh shooting the person with an airsoft rifle as Ali watched to “evaluate their pain tolerance and reaction,” before directing the person to “conduct research on an individual that provided support to the Department of Defense and intelligence community.”

Another resident, a Secret Service agent on First Lady Jill Biden’s detail, allegedly received an offer from Taherzadeh for a $2,000 AR-15-style assault rifle. The agent and Taherzadeh traded messages and photos.

After the agent told Taherzadeh that the Secret Service was transitioning its issued service weapon, Taherzadeh told the agent that “we are all transitioning to the Glock 19’s in DHS,” and revealed a “concealed Glock 19 Generation 5 from his appendix area.” In March, Taherzadeh stopped by the agent’s apartment to drop off a “tactical holster” for the Glock, saying he had an extra one lying arond.

Yet another resident reported receiving emails from Taherzadeh at a supposed DHS email address, that the FBI determined was fake. That same resident purportedly received a “rent-free penthouse apartment” with an annual cost of $40,200.

The affidavit says that Taherzadeh and Ali moved into the complex in February 2020, and struck up the relationships over the course of the past two years. The two are scheduled for an initial hearing in court on Thursday.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/read-two-dc-residents-impersonated-dhs-agents-tried-to-trick-secret-service-feds-say

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

It's always fascinating to discuss police issues. I can sit down with my deeply conservative father-in-law and we will agree that cops waste too much time needlessly harassing people over minor traffic violations, controlled substances, and generally making life worse for individuals whenever possible...but then he breaks down into a frothing rage if someone suggests that maybe they don't deserve more funding as a reward for being the pieces of poo poo they are.

I feel this. A lot of the "Back the Blue" types I've known since childhood have long been happy to go on with how cops are corrupt bullies that harass people for fun or to meet quotas, act as a revenue generation system rather than law enforcement, etc. And tell stories about how cops made trouble for people, or how cool it was someone else got one over on them, or so on. But you know, that's all good (white) small town folk. We definitely need to fund the hell out of the police to keep us safe from those urban thugs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

Does it have to be an aggressive dog, or is it just as effective to have a total cuddlepuppy who will let you walk off with the silver if you rub his belly as long as his bark sounds fearsome enough to deter burglars from getting close enough to find out

I don't think it needs to be aggressive. The study just says that barking dogs are one of the top 3 reasons a burglar will abort an attempted burglary.

Just make sure you get a loud one that goes insane as soon as he hears someone outside.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VitalSigns posted:

Iirc black polling has bands of opinion that break along age lines, with younger black people who are more likely to be targets of police harassment and violence being more likely to support reduced policing

Which makes sense since greater policing is objectively more of a threat to their personal well-being

That article suggests the latter, but also note that some burglars will instead use the sweet little guy as leverage or just hurt it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

That article suggests the latter, but also note that some burglars will instead use the sweet little guy as leverage or just hurt it

It's also entirely possible that when the murderous, violent enforcers of the criminality of poverty show up in response to your silent alarm system, they'll just shoot your fuckin' dog.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I don't think it needs to be aggressive. The study just says that barking dogs are one of the top 3 reasons a burglar will abort an attempted burglary.

Just make sure you get a loud one that goes insane as soon as he hears someone outside.

Please Don't. I'm so loving tired of people just letting their dogs bark at everything for no reason all hours of the god damned day or when my kids happen to walk by there fence.

On a different track, I read a great article on why CPS needs to be abolished.

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1512101668053299207

As someone that got put through the CPS system as a kid this article brought back some poo poo. Tear that poo poo down.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Please Don't. I'm so loving tired of people just letting their dogs bark at everything for no reason all hours of the god damned day or when my kids happen to walk by there fence.

As someone that got put through the CPS system as a kid this article brought back some poo poo. Tear that poo poo down.

What do you suggest as an alternative?

My wife just made a call to DCF the other day about a kid that showed up with bruises, and today the kid showed up with even more bruises. The child is 3 years old, and has a gigantic bruise around one of his eyes, as though he were hit in the face with a leather belt.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

Right and Willa made a comment on their need to broadcast out to everyone their home is secure which isn't actually part of securing a home. That's the connection you were missing.

As Leon posted, it kind of is, though. I can't quite understand what's upsetting or controversial about publicly displaying that you have home security.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

CPS needs a huge makeover, but man are there some real use cases for it, granted, they don't tend to get used where they are actually needed (like abusive parents, etc.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

My wife just made a call to DCF the other day about a kid that showed up with bruises, and today the kid showed up with even more bruises. The child is 3 years old, and has a gigantic bruise around one of his eyes, as though he were hit in the face with a leather belt.

Social services and intervention for the whole family instead of criminal charges and sending kids to environments where they run the risk of being exposed to even worse abuse would be a start. For that exact example It's the same thing as most other services in the US though, it doesn't fix the problem but there's no other alternatives so what are you going to do? It's all a symptom of an ineffective government.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Lib and let die posted:

Believe me, i was that kid. CPS took me literally out of my mother's arms after she ran away with my sisters and I to a women's shelter, and put me back into the care of my abusive parent.

There needs to be social services work, but I promise CPS the way it works now and when I experienced it needs to be abolished.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lib and let die posted:

The argument of the article is "nothing". The author appears to believe that resolving other sources of inequality will make child abuse not exist. It is...not very persuasive. It's telling that the article puts 1,500 words between where it raises the question of addressing the alternative, and the nonanswer it devotes to answering it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm going to read the CPS article when I get a chance, but I just want to point out that the popular culture opinion that CPS is constantly taking custody of kids from just a phone call or whatever is incredibly wrong.

CPS goes out of its way to an incredible degree (even to the point where many CPS offices are criticized after a kid is killed because they let them stay with their parents after multiple house calls) to keep kids and their parents together - even if their parents are lovely!

Even in the rare situations where kids do get taken away, they are almost always placed back with family within two weeks. Getting your kids permanently taken away from family to be placed in foster care is incredibly rare and I would be skeptical of any argument that is based on the idea that millions of kids are being unfairly taken into custody by CPS.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

This argument is very parallel to the abolish the police argument. Nobody is saying ignore child abuse, but using the state violence machine inspired by Kafka is a bad way to go about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Believe me, i was that kid. CPS took me literally out of my mother's arms after she ran away with my sisters and I to a women's shelter, and put me back into the care of my abusive parent.

There needs to be social services work, but I promise CPS the way it works now and when I experienced it needs to be abolished.

That is a pretty common criticism of CPS - that they go very far out of their way to keep kids and family together, even putting them back in abusive situations sometimes - but, that is the opposite of the argument the article is making. They are arguing that too many kids are being taken from their families and put into foster care.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Very strong vibes of getting all their ideas of CPS from pop culture. Like the other end of copaganda.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm going to read the CPS article when I get a chance, but I just want to point out that the popular culture opinion that CPS is constantly taking custody of kids from just a phone call or whatever is incredibly wrong.

CPS goes out of its way to an incredible degree (even to the point where many CPS offices are criticized after a kid is killed because they let them stay with their parents after multiple house calls) to keep kids and their parents together - even if their parents are lovely!

Even in the rare situations where kids do get taken away, they are almost always placed back with family within two weeks. Getting your kids permanently taken away from family to be placed in foster care is incredibly rare and I would be skeptical of any argument that is based on the idea that millions of kids are being unfairly taken into custody by CPS.

Yep. This has been going on for 3 days now. Kid showed up with a mark on his face on Tuesday, wife made the call that day, DCF came into the school yesterday, this morning the kid shows up with more bruises, now DCF says they're coming back to the school to do more interviews tomorrow. That gives the abusive parent(s) an entire day to coach responses, lay more hands on the kid, or even abscond the state entirely to go somewhere else and keep hitting their kid.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

How are u posted:

What's wrong with having home security?

There isn't and its why everyone should have at least one firearm in the house.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ll also throw out CPS and family/dependency courts vary immensely by state and even sometimes by county, it’s way harder to paint with a broad brush than police, I blame it on some areas enabling judges to run the show like their own personal fiefdoms but that’s a personal take

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

I remember polling done a few months after the 2020 BLM protests showing most black Americans preferred the same level of policing with the the rest being split between more and less. The discourse on SA on the time would have had you believe it was overwhelming defund and reduce the police, there really seems to be a huge disconnect on what black Americans want vs leftists think is best w/r/t to police and crime

I mean, both wanting safety & not wanting those in charge of safety to brutalize you isn't a contradiction.

"repurpose the police" or "de-nazify the police" would've probably been more efficacious slogans, though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Terminal autist posted:

There isn't and its why everyone should have at least one firearm in the house.

No thanks. I'll stick to a couple of lights with motion sensors, a fake camera or two, and an aluminum baseball bat. No guns will ever enter the house I one day hope to own.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

It's always fascinating to discuss police issues. I can sit down with my deeply conservative father-in-law and we will agree that cops waste too much time needlessly harassing people over minor traffic violations, controlled substances, and generally making life worse for individuals whenever possible...but then he breaks down into a frothing rage if someone suggests that maybe they don't deserve more funding as a reward for being the pieces of poo poo they are.

Weird how when political & public discourse is narrowed to "should we give police scads more money or truckloads of money?" most people will agree that police should get more money!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Here's your insane and confusing news story for the day:

The DOJ just arrested two men who were engaging in a long and extremely well-funded scheme to bribe Secret Service agents, pretend they were DHS employees, and become friends with Secret Service agents in charge of several different protective duties - including the first lady.

They gave over $70,000 worth of gifts and bribes to Secret Service agents and spent almost a year setting this up. They also had illegally snuck in monitoring devices and guns into their D.C. apartment.

They were eventually caught by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service in a completely random event where they were investigating an assault on a mail carrier that happened in their apartment building and when they asked around for witnesses the two men gave their fake DHS information. The Post Office eventually discovered that information was fake and turned them in to the FBI.

But, despite being very well-funded and these two spending a year of their lives setting this up, the FBI has no idea what they were trying to accomplish.

https://twitter.com/DKaplanFox5DC/status/1511823209955479555

https://apnews.com/article/us-secret-service-956062f32e02854112b7c52794d202b2

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/read-two-dc-residents-impersonated-dhs-agents-tried-to-trick-secret-service-feds-say

:raise:

quote:

Taherzadeh is accused of providing Secret Service officers and agents with rent-free apartments — including a penthouse worth over $40,000 a year — along with iPhones, surveillance systems, a drone, flat screen television, a generator, gun case and other policing tools, according to court documents.

lol that the agents are put on leave while the lobbyists terrorists are arrested.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon, neither of those stories you linked alleges any bribes, only "ingratiating" themselves with officers.

Do you have any links that allege bribery, or did you extrapolate that on your own?

eta: And yes, I know that impersonating federal agents is a crime.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How are u posted:

What's wrong with having home security?

In a vacuum, there is nothing wrong with it. But in the broader picture, the need for home security can't be fully divorced from the (arguably irrational) culture of fear and paranoia that drives the apparent need for home security. And that culture is deeply rooted in racism and the racialized lens through which we view crime, security, and policing. It's one of those, uh, unconscious biases that our society conditions you to hold. You (general you) may not be an active racist yourself, but you're buying into a system that profits off of racist fears.

At least that's how I understand it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah, California's various CPS agencies are a hot mess that have resulted in the murder of dozens of kids, and that's also happened in a lot of other states.

Remember that weirdo Turpin couple who locked up their kids & starved them? The Riverside County CPS placed a few of the kids in a foster home in which they were molested & tortured, which is absolutely heartbreaking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fister Roboto posted:

In a vacuum, there is nothing wrong with it. But in the broader picture, the need for home security can't be fully divorced from the (arguably irrational) culture of fear and paranoia that drives the apparent need for home security. And that culture is deeply rooted in racism and the racialized lens through which we view crime, security, and policing. It's one of those, uh, unconscious biases that our society conditions you to hold. You (general you) may not be an active racist yourself, but you're buying into a system that profits off of racist fears.

At least that's how I understand it.

All this is true and it's definitely something to take into account, but at the same time crime does exist and I think taking reasonable steps to make yourself a less appealing target for crime isn't something I'm going to judge anyone for. I feel pretty safe in my neighborhood and we don't really have any sort of home security beyond insurance. It would suck if we were robbed but because my partner is still WFH 3 days a week and I'm still not working, we're home roughly 90% of the time. Which as I understand it is probably the single biggest deterrent to most home property crime.

e: Anecdotally but most of the folks I know who have been victims of property crime have been people with shady roommates or houseguests who steal from them, or people that get their cars broken into. In nicer areas nearby I know there's usually a bigger issue because of tempting targets/package theft, but in the 7 years we've lived here we haven't had a single issue.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 7, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

How are u posted:

As Leon posted, it kind of is, though. I can't quite understand what's upsetting or controversial about publicly displaying that you have home security.

Did I say it was "upsetting" or "controversial"? No; I said it makes me laugh, which it does.

I sometimes wonder what alchemy is involved between my typing something & the interpretive dances that are posted in response.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, California's various CPS agencies are a hot mess that have resulted in the murder of dozens of kids, and that's also happened in a lot of other states.

Remember that weirdo Turpin couple who locked up their kids & starved them? The Riverside County CPS placed a few of the kids in a foster home in which they were molested & tortured, which is absolutely heartbreaking.

And let's talk about how they decide who gets to be a foster family, because woo hoy. I have childless friends who are willing to foster, they said they hope to adopt one day Bam. Instant disqualification for being a foster parent. But you don't actually care about the kids and just want a steady paycheck from the government to do poo poo like the above? Hey great, you're perfect, sign here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

All this is true and it's definitely something to take into account, but at the same time crime does exist and I think taking reasonable steps to make yourself a less appealing target for crime isn't something I'm going to judge anyone for. I feel pretty safe in my neighborhood and we don't really have any sort of home security beyond insurance. It would suck if we were robbed but because my partner is still WFH 3 days a week and I'm still not working, we're home roughly 90% of the time. Which as I understand it is probably the single biggest deterrent to most home property crime.

e: Anecdotally but most of the folks I know who have been victims of property crime have been people with shady roommates or houseguests who steal from them, or people that get their cars broken into. In nicer areas nearby I know there's usually a bigger issue because of tempting targets/package theft, but in the 7 years we've lived here we haven't had a single issue.

Oh yeah for sure. It's really frustrating because you can be fully aware of the problem, but you still have to buy into it because of the realities of the situation. I think it's one of those situations where "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" is appropriate. You're not going to stop racism by throwing away your door camera. But some awareness of the issue is also important.

But also I think the point of the OP was more to highlight how stupid and often hypocritical those "in this house we believe..." signs are. gently caress those signs. Lemme know when someone makes signs with actual positive actions on them like a liveable minimum wage or slavery reparations, rather than just statements of believe that require zero action.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 7, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Willa Rogers posted:

"we welcome everyone with open arms"

*sign next to drawing of rottweiler on home-security signage*

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, both wanting safety & not wanting those in charge of safety to brutalize you isn't a contradiction.

"repurpose the police" or "de-nazify the police" would've probably been more efficacious slogans, though.

Wanting to feel safe in your home and wanting broader social justice and compassion isn't a contradiction either. You can laugh at whatever you want though, that's the beauty of humor being subjective.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah for sure. It's really frustrating because you can be fully aware of the problem, but you still have to buy into it because of the realities of the situation. I think it's one of those situations where "there's no ethical consumption under capitalism" is appropriate. You're not going to stop racism by throwing away your door camera. But some awareness of the issue is also important.

But also I think the point of the OP was more to highlight how stupid and often hypocritical those "in this house we believe..." signs are. gently caress those signs.

On the one hand, I sympathize with disgust or distaste for performative wokeness that is undercut by actual actions/opinions, like having one of those signs and then say, voting down affordable housing legislation. I just think it's weird to imagine that every single house you see with one of those signs is obviously also a NIMBY rear end in a top hat. There's only one of those signs on our street and the guy that lives there is black.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 7, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

But also I think the point of the OP was more to highlight how stupid and often hypocritical those "in this house we believe..." signs are. gently caress those signs.

As somebody whose spent the last decade+ campaigning in all sorts of ways: yard signs can all go to hell. I'd rather 1 person volunteer their time and effort to a cause than 100 people put up a dang sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Did I say it was "upsetting" or "controversial"? No; I said it makes me laugh, which it does.

I sometimes wonder what alchemy is involved between my typing something & the interpretive dances that are posted in response.

People are trying to understand what you find funny about it. I have home security, it came with the house we bought. We kept it to use when the kids were little to know when a door or window was opened because the little toddlers were always trying to go outside (it beeps a few times) and hooked it up to our sump pump because the last time it failed it flooded our basement when we were out of town so they call if the power goes out to it, which has saved out butts several times (high water table).