Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

uggy posted:

Ob seems incredibly good I don’t think it can be underestimated how annoying it’ll be to have two planeswalkers on the battlefield to deal with on turn 3

So uh what's with Casualty X on the card? Does it just mean sacrifice a creature period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

AngryBooch posted:

Turning your opponents draws into impulses is amusing to me

Also stops them decking

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So uh what's with Casualty X on the card? Does it just mean sacrifice a creature period?

You could not sacrifice a creature and not get a copy, or you can sacrifice a creature and get a copy with loyalty equal to the power of the creature you sacced.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The story they're telling in the after party is so much more interesting than the one presented.
Like how all the crime heads weren't demons, and made a pact with demons and basically became the Best Oracle and Best Lawyer

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

HootTheOwl posted:

The story they're telling in the after party is so much more interesting than the one presented.
Like how all the crime heads weren't demons, and made a pact with demons and basically became the Best Oracle and Best Lawyer

Not sure “making a pact with a demon/devil” is very creative or interesting

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

uggy posted:

Not sure “making a pact with a demon/devil” is very creative or interesting

Making a pact, getting exactly what you wanted and how it changes you as the demonic nature inside you grows over time is certainly more interesting to me than "My home is where people need protecting, Also this place is gonna fall apart so gently caress it, see you in Dominaria"

The last card they previewed was how the Caberetti and Riveteers would both be interested in a racetrack. That's interesting to me.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

HootTheOwl posted:

Making a pact, getting exactly what you wanted and how it changes you as the demonic nature inside you grows over time is certainly more interesting to me than "My home is where people need protecting, Also this place is gonna fall apart so gently caress it, see you in Dominaria"

The last card they previewed was how the Caberetti and Riveteers would both be interested in a racetrack. That's interesting to me.

That’s totally fair, don’t disagree there. It just a very common trope

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*Zendaya is Meechee voice* Vivien is Birthing Pod

Yeah it's six mana, so who knows how much play it will see, but also sheesh.

Also I guess it IS six mana in the ramp color.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reverse spell pierce lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I agree with everyone saying that Ob Nix is very good. Especially because the best midrange decks in standard are already making tons of 1/1 tokens. The problem is that for just a 3 drop if you don't have a creature to sac it's kinda mid.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

"Urabrask, more like Uba Mask, am I right folks?" :v:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

One of the stinkiest pieces of poo poo they've ever printed lol. What a waste of a name :(

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Reverse spell pierce lol

This one has some cute use in the Lier decks with goldspan dragon.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Is this a big elf? Or they like shrinking their animals?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

One of the stinkiest pieces of poo poo they've ever printed lol. What a waste of a name :(

Seems good with blitz in limited

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thought the theme to this expansion was dumb but i'm loving this art lol

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

It doesn't even go face what the gently caress

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1512107437075177478

regional art variants on Gala Greeters.

I'll take one German Interwar Period art variant please.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

Is this a big elf? Or they like shrinking their animals?

The latter! Guy on stream said that they imagined like little teacup versions of animals more fantastic than pigs or purse dogs.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1512107437075177478

regional art variants on Gala Greeters.

I'll take one German Interwar Period art variant please.

EXTREMELY Sally Bowles

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Hunted horror into New Ob sounds fun.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

didn't they say a long time ago that they stopped printing art variants because it would be too confusing. now they're printing art variants in different languages.. haha.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Strong Sauce posted:

art deco has foil etch variant.

Feel like this Elspeth is going to be much better in practice than it looks on paper.

AngryBooch posted:

Turning your opponents draws into impulses is amusing to me

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/Card_Kingdom/status/1512098796670439425

Most of the ones revealed on stream are out of the commander precons so far, hard to keep track of

I guess "indestructible counter" was too lengthy but concept seems good.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

+1 is a little weak BUT being able to make double Obs on cast is cool

Might single handedly will make discard a viable thing? You could easily go Gutterbones or Dread Wanderer into Ob, Shambling Ghast for value, or go for broke and Death's Shadow.

Easily slots into Jund Sacrifice decks too.

That is some gnarly art :stare:

Urabrask just seems okay, Vivien is overcosted but I get why, mechanics for the set seem pretty interesting.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

TipTow posted:

If you like that, you'll love this

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Every day we stray further from god's light[ning bolt]

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

If you like that, you'll love this

That seems more reasonable. Certainly in limited. 1 for 3 versus 2 for 2 but needing to sac a 2+ power creature to make it 4 damage--those rates don't compare at all.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TipTow posted:

Could have been instant, could have just cost R, could have hit any target, could have been Casualty 1. Seems weird to tweak every knob to make it so underwhelming, but like LG said it might be decent in limited with all the sac payoffs. I think they're going to be pretty gunshy about how powerful the Casualty cards are. I just really hate when they blow cool names on awful cards and then give boring names to really good cards. We deserve to live in a world where Bake into a Pie and You are Already Dead are eternal staples and Assassin's Trophy and Prismatic Ending are forgotten draft chaff.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 7, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mat Cauthon posted:

I guess "indestructible counter" was too lengthy but concept seems good.\

indestructible counters already exist and do something different

shield counters are neat and i like seeing what's essentially regenerate back in a 'fixed,' more easy to understand way

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Limo seems fun and annoying as hell in limited.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

amazing flavor text

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

flatluigi posted:

shield counters are neat and i like seeing what's essentially regenerate back in a 'fixed,' more easy to understand way

Yeah I completely forgot about those already being a thing despite Neo Kamigawa having at least a could cards that do the thing.

I do like the shield counter concept as quasi-regeneration like you framed it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Toph Bei Fong posted:

"Urabrask, more like Uba Mask, am I right folks?" :v:
"you're in charge of designing a new Urabrask", and the designer misheard "you're in charge of designing a new Uba Mask". They designed it, realized their mistake but still slapped the same mechanic on Urabrask anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Michael: Sounds like a good Uba Mask effect.
Dwight: Oh, yeah.
Michael: What's its name?
Dwight: ...Urabrask.
Michael: Your Uba Mask's name is Urabrask..
Dwight: Yep.
Michael: Huh. Sounds a lot like Uba Mask.
Dwight: Maybe that's why it became a Uba Mask.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

+1 is a little weak BUT being able to make double Obs on cast is cool

lol cool.
sorry, jund, looks like this time u got beat

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Michael: Sounds like a good Uba Mask effect.
Dwight: Oh, yeah.
Michael: What's its name?
Dwight: ...Urabrask.
Michael: Your Uba Mask's name is Urabrask..
Dwight: Yep.
Michael: Huh. Sounds a lot like Uba Mask.
Dwight: Maybe that's why it became a Uba Mask.

Lol

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

flatluigi posted:

(made up, not a spoiler)

Shield
{1}{G}
Enchantment — Aura

Enchant creature (Target a creature as you cast this. This card enters the battlefield attached to that creature.)

{G}: Place a shield counter on enchanted creature until end of turn. (If it would be dealt damage or destroyed, remove a shield counter from it instead.)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Have we seen effects that put counters on stuff for a specified amount of time before? I'm certain its possible I just can't think of any right now.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

Have we seen effects that put counters on stuff for a specified amount of time before? I'm certain its possible I just can't think of any right now.

I'm guessing fading and suspend aren't what you mean? Rather, "remove X counter after Y turns" or some such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TipTow posted:

I'm guessing fading and suspend aren't what you mean? Rather, "remove X counter after Y turns" or some such?

Like, "put a +1/+1 counter on target creature until end of turn" type of thing.