Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

nashona posted:

yay the latest update also fixed the lepers colony issue! now I can continue to monitor my posting enemies

yes thank you benevolent app creator!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

handle posted:

Has the latest version (3.8.13) made it out to your device? There's a fix for expanding avs that might also affect BYOB.

Holy crap, I'm two minor versions behind!

e: yep, that fixed it, sorry for the noise.

PS: awful app rulz!

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 7, 2022

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hipster_Doofus posted:

*~5 hrs later... *

ok you're trying to take over the world by proving that you actually deserve to run it aren't you?

Heh, the bug tracking tool sent me an email with the error message, it was easily googleable and the fix was trivial. If only all bugs were like that :v:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sereri posted:

Heh, the bug tracking tool sent me an email with the error message, it was easily googleable and the fix was trivial. If only all bugs were like that :v:

"Here, specific forum user with a very specific hardware setup and issue, try this custom apk I built for you."

That's service, whether the issue was minor or not!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i wouldn't really call this a bug, but if someone else encounters this there's an easy fix. earlier i really needed to find a post about tip o'neill so i used the search function and it came back blank. the fix was to change the theme and change it back

i tried my search a couple of times, then made the search using a browser and it came back with results, which meant the forums were good. i tested it with different forums selected and just as "neill" in case there was a problem with escaping or whatever. blank results screen.

finally i thought to check the theme, changing it to default makes it work. i came in here ready to post about how the oled theme is broken but when i went to grab a screenshot it was working. seems my app just needed the theme reloaded after however many updates and also never using search on mobile

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I just wanted to say I read the changelog and i love the 'highlight text to apply bbcode' feature i use it all the time :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

i tried my search a couple of times, then made the search using a browser and it came back with results, which meant the forums were good. i tested it with different forums selected and just as "neill" in case there was a problem with escaping or whatever. blank results screen.

have you tried putting just the tip in

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Killingyouguy! posted:

I just wanted to say I read the changelog and i love the 'highlight text to apply bbcode' feature i use it all the time :)

The changelog is always charming. Thanks again to any/all of you maintaining this app. It is one of my most used and hands down the most well-functioning.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Wait, how does this work?

That's awesome, i didn't know that!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Really appreciate the development of this app, use it everyday and does everything I want.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My app changed to this weird split view for forum browsing like this:

I didn't see anything about this in the change log, so I must have somehow accidentally turned this on? I don't like it, and I've been searching for settings to change it back to normal but can't find anything. Anybody know what I've done here and how to undo it?

Thankfully I can still get a full view of a thread itself but I can't get a full view of the forums.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Looks like tablet mode to me? Look under Device and Navigation

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Party Boat posted:

Looks like tablet mode to me? Look under Device and Navigation

Yeah that was it. It was in auto, it's always been in auto, but suddenly it decided my Samsung Galaxy S21+ was a tablet, which is weird. I've had it over a year and it always considered it a phone before. But I changed it from auto to phone and now it's been to normal.

I changed some display settings in my phone recently, maybe that made it consider itself a tablet?

Specifically, I turned off Gesture Hint in swipe navigation cause I was tired of seeing it, and turned on switch apps when hint hidden.

That's exactly when my forum view changed but I didn't link the two in my head at all.

I also changed the edge panel guide to completely transparent to make it invisible.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So I've been just using the site in Android Firefox with a lot of pinch zoom over the years. Just tried the app, seems pretty cool!

My question, is there a way to get black or darker text font? I dig the default theme, but I prefer the darker text of the website over the lighter gray.

Also, when I pick a theme, selecting a font doesn't seem to change anything. For example if I pick the BYOB theme, it always has that comic sans font.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That's weird. My theme and font settings are all the default and my font is black

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
YOSPOS/AMBERPOS supremacy

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sereri posted:

I can't reproduce this, sorry. I got my hands on a Samsung Tablet with Android 12 and it's working there.
I even went to Samsungs "Remote Test Lab" service and tested it on a S20FE. The second phone I used credits on even had internet :shepface:. The web search option showed up in the three-dot menu.
I'm not saying it's your fault but it seems like it's a "you" problem. Did you maybe do something special to your phone? Custom rom, root, whatever?
Maybe its just some stupid locale thing? Are you on English (US) or some moon language?

I was thinking. How does search work? What does it invoke?

I ask because I hadn't bothered to update a lot of the cruft that comes with my phone. Out of curiosity, I've just updated Google Chrome (I use Firefox), and now I've got a Translate option added, but still no Search.

I was just wondering if it invokes some service that isn't updated properly...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ the update

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Apologies if this has been answered before but someone posted about having YouTube inline links enabled yesterday and I realized that YouTube is never posted inline for me (like with a preview image and title) even though I have this option enabled.

Is this a bug or goons just not posting online links to do Rickrolls and make people click on their tangentially related meme videos?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

Apologies if this has been answered before but someone posted about having YouTube inline links enabled yesterday and I realized that YouTube is never posted inline for me (like with a preview image and title) even though I have this option enabled.

Is this a bug or goons just not posting online links to do Rickrolls and make people click on their tangentially related meme videos?

It has to be enabled both in the forums user control panel and in the app under Settings > Posts > Embedding

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This is the 2nd time I've been logged out after updating the app. Both times, it's only been on my tablet, not my phone. (Also, this time, after logging in, it didn't give me the pop up with update notes. Weird.)

Is there some weird setting I missed?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Gadzuko posted:

It has to be enabled both in the forums user control panel and in the app under Settings > Posts > Embedding

Thanks! It worked and I can't tell you how many times you've saved me clicking a link to view the joke and just closing it out again

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

Thanks! It worked and I can't tell you how many times you've saved me clicking a link to view the joke and just closing it out again

Thanks for asking about this! It's been quietly been bugging me for years but not enough to actually do anything about it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gadzuko posted:

Doesn't work for me and i have the thing set

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

alexandriao posted:

Doesn't work for me and i have the thing set

Gadzuko posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
On the app they may not show up if the posts are already marked "read" - trying marking the post above it as your last seen post.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's also very much still possible to post a link to a video that will show up as a link. The app will not try to embed those.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So is it known that the default theme has a dark gray font, while the FYAD and BYOB themes have a black font? I can post screencaps if not. On a Samsung S10E.

I prefer the black font color. Also a theme that's like the website would be cool to have as well. For now I'm using the FYAD theme, and it's not half bad, who knew.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
strange thing happened this morning, not sure if app-related or just phone having a hernia. wrote a post, had to swap over to something else, so I backed out of the Post Reply screen. it gave me the usual "discard or save draft" prompt, I hit discard, the page refreshed and it went ahead and posted what I had written. it wasn't really a huge deal but probably not intended behavior

I've had some weirdness with swiping back gestures in other apps on my phone (S22 Ultra) so I'm wondering if it may have just been some weird phone jank

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Awesome app, I love it! Is there anyway to disable the split view of the forums? I love the singular view when clicking into a thread but find the split view doesn't have enough space for either the forums or the threads

Edit: found it :( it was phone orientation

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Search from highlight is gone again. Will it be coming back?

handle
Jan 20, 2011

What phone and OS do you have? On my phone the "web search" option got pushed into the three-dot menu.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh yeah it's gone here too

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got it on my Pixel 5.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
It's fine on my Samsung S8 :shrug:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

handle posted:

What phone and OS do you have? On my phone the "web search" option got pushed into the three-dot menu.

Pixel 3xl

Android 11

I'm not sure how I would highlight text and then push the three dot menu.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Beachcomber posted:

Pixel 3xl

Android 11

I'm not sure how I would highlight text and then push the three dot menu.

You don't get this pop-up when you highlight text?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

hooah posted:

You don't get this pop-up when you highlight text?

No I don't.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

where are your dots?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pixel 6, Android 12, I have dots.

500 good dogs posted:

where are your dots?!

This is clearly a moral failing, OP. I bet with some honest introspection you will discover the series of unfortunate life choices that led you to not having dots in the Awful app.

E: just realized that while I do have dots, I don't have bbcode options, just the standard OS ones. Apparently you're an okay person after all, OP.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 6, 2022