Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

brocked posted:

I remember him going studs up through the back of Diaby's Achilles and not even getting shown a card and Diaby getting a red for being angry about it, I really should look up the clip to see if it's anything like my memory

But I also seem to recall Tiote (rip) scoring an absolute worldie in that match and there's no way that actually happened, right?

Tiote scored an even better goal against Man City but the crooked ref ruled it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
RIP Cheick, you scored one (1) goal in 156 games for Newcastle and it was the belter that broke Arsene Wenger.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Tiote scored an even better goal against Man City but the crooked ref ruled it out

I remembered this one but completely forgot it got ruled out

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did the ball deflect off a hand somewhere, I'm not seeing much

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did the ball deflect off a hand somewhere, I'm not seeing much

I would assume it's the player standing in an offside position, prior to them tightening the rules on what counted as "interfering with play"

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I would assume it's the player standing in an offside position, prior to them tightening the rules on what counted as "interfering with play"

This is what I figured as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Yep, there’s actually 2 of them offside when he hits it but apparently the ref said the closest player (Gouffran) was interfering with play. Hard to understand that one when Hart could see it all the way, he just couldn’t get remotely close to it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

as a referee it’s always reasonable to assume hart would have hosed it up anyway

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I feel like VAR might have allowed that but back in the day where you just trust the ref's eyes in real time it's not unreasonable to think it might have taken a deflection or something off the offside player. Bad call and the goal should have stood, but I get why it happened.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

vyelkin posted:

I feel like VAR might have allowed that but back in the day where you just trust the ref's eyes in real time it's not unreasonable to think it might have taken a deflection or something off the offside player. Bad call and the goal should have stood, but I get why it happened.

I’m an evertonian. VAR is poo poo

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Quick nominative determinism update

https://twitter.com/TomJGarry/status/1507435170315575302?s=20&t=ZIXDAM2Yw2R9_DkZojK9Jw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Marcus Bigot

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yep, there’s actually 2 of them offside when he hits it but apparently the ref said the closest player (Gouffran) was interfering with play. Hard to understand that one when Hart could see it all the way, he just couldn’t get remotely close to it

The interpretation used to be that "interfering with play" was being anywhere in a triangle between the posts and the point the ball was hit from, or within a "reasonable distance" to control or deflect the ball in its flight, which isn't actually that bad a definition.

The (incredibly charitable to Joe Hart) interpretation applied to that goal is that because the ball might have deflected off Gouffran, Hart may have hesitated in diving to stop the shot.

I'm not sure what the actual rule is now, though.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure what the actual rule is now, though.

I didn't know the head of VAR posted here

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
sexghost, please ban Mike Dean on sight if he tries to post in TRP

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

sticksy posted:

Actually give him a sixer, then when the first sixer is up immediately give him another one then ban him to make it all about you.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

sticksy posted:

Didn't even need to ask. If not quite top of the bald fraud list he's a contender for the silver medal

pik_d posted:

Actually give him a sixer, then when the first sixer is up immediately give him another one then ban him to make it all about you.

was it Dean who made the guy walk to him across the length of the pitch then showed him a red and made him walk all the way back. The most powerful ref move

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 26, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I liked when Mike Dean grew a giant lockdown beard

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

was it Dean who made the guy walk to him across the length of the pitch then showed him a red and made him walk all the way back. The most powerful ref move

that is a power move, can see why he's a legend

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/Jon_LeGossip/status/1508833545560727558?s=20&t=-LOGxL7H6OMHoT5OQl8ugQ

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What the gently caress

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thought staines town were that fake Twitter club that ends up in the news because they've made Saddam Hussein honorary club chairman or whatever

Apparently they're not and the owners have been busy:

quote:

The statement which also alleges "environmental crimes, price fixing, deforestation, forced evictions, human rights abuses, child labour, slavery, gender discrimination and murder" swiftly crashed the club's website.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s like if blofeld owned a team

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

More importantly who the gently caress is owning a team in like the 8th tier of English football that gets up to all that poo poo?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

More importantly who the gently caress is owning a team in like the 8th tier of English football that gets up to all that poo poo?
Biff Tannen got the sports book but it turns out time travel resets quantum state so he only made enough money to buy a tiny English team.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Money laundering is rife at this level. Years ago my home town club was apparently owned by an infamous scouse gangster through intermediates, and the rugby club's bid for the super league hit the buffers when the supplementary brown envelopes that invalidated the salary cap for top players stopped coming.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
From what I've managed to piece together from Twitter this afternoon (so take it for what it is), it's much dumber than that.

Basically the ground is owned by the club but the land it sits on (including the car park and - crucially - the main stand) is owned by another company who use it for a gym, conference facility, and the other weird little side hustles lower league clubs do to keep things ticking over, under one of those dodgy sell-and-lease deals that did for so many clubs in the 80s and 90s.

That company is in turn owned by a fairly bog-standard PE fund - evil, but not more notably so than the background noise for such things. The owners of the club have been trying to buy back the land and the stand for years now, including by doing all sorts of weird poo poo like complaining about how the walk from the board room to the bogs takes them past sweaty people in the gym, booking the ground out for a week-long tournament for the traveller community (something that sounds nice but hoo boy some of their fans and possibly one of their board members are doing some proper old-school racism about it and I'm *fairly* certain they're doing it just to say to the owners "See, we're gonna fill up your lovely car park with all these caravans if you don't sell up".

This latest thing is just the next round in that. Needless to say there's no particular evidence Downing, the PE fund, are actually involved in slavery or sanctions busting *to a level greater than any other bunch of rich people* and also that the FA most definitely don't require any club to just stop playing if the owners of a bit of their ground end up to be wrong 'uns.

Basically this is just YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE JACKIE WEAVER but being done with a football club.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I would like to learn more details about the accusations of slavery and murder by the PE firm, tbh

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

I would like to learn more details about the accusations of slavery and murder by the PE firm, tbh

They are capitalists, HTH.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I looked up that Tiote (rip) goal and you weren't kidding, holy poo poo what a belter

That it was the only Newcastle goal he scored in ~150 games makes it that much funnier

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
also the fact that it was goal 4 for Newcastle after Arsenal were leading 4-0 at half time lmao

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I was an Arsenal fan who sent a gloating text to my Newcastle supporting friend at half time that day.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

also the fact that it was goal 4 for Newcastle after Arsenal were leading 4-0 at half time lmao

still remember watching that game and going through all the emotions of they can't, can they?, and then you know what, they actually might, and then along comes that Tiote goal and holy poo poo they actually did it the absolute madmen

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Paperhouse posted:

After like 26 minutes no? I feel like newcastle just went wide at 4-4 and could've won it though I may be misremembering that

szary
Mar 12, 2014

ilmucche posted:

newcastle just went wide at 4-4 and could've won it though I may be misremembering that

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq_t9GOdzdw&t=6312s

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
I h8-2 be reminded of embarrassing Arsenal meltdowns in the feral footballers thread

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
So far I can only find this article on Dutch sites but multiple footballers in the Netherlands including former and current national team players (Kuijt, Sneijder and Jordi Clasie) have been linked to illegal betting company Edobet.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Crawley Town FC have been brought by some NFT investment fund that "is dedicated to bringing Web3’s most innovative ideas and passionate communities to the world of sports."

https://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/2022/april/wagmi-united-complete-takeover-of-club/

I'm not sure what this entails but it sounds like they want to fund the Club by letting fans invest in NFTs. The press release includes this which sounds like part of a late April Fool's article:

"If we're trying to build a community-club, and we are, then we have to build in mechanisms to hold ourselves accountable,"  said Eben Smith, WAGMI United co-founder. "So if Crawley Town Football Club doesn't get promoted to League One by the end of our second season, which we think is about 50/50, then we under-performed. If we underperform, Crawley Town fans should get to vote on who the next directors of the club are. We might run for reelection because it was clearly all Preston's fault, but we don’t just get to hold the fanbase hostage because our dad invented Cablevision."

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
RIP Crawley Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Crawley Town FC have been brought by some NFT investment fund that "is dedicated to bringing Web3’s most innovative ideas and passionate communities to the world of sports."

https://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/2022/april/wagmi-united-complete-takeover-of-club/

I'm not sure what this entails but it sounds like they want to fund the Club by letting fans invest in NFTs. The press release includes this which sounds like part of a late April Fool's article:

"If we're trying to build a community-club, and we are, then we have to build in mechanisms to hold ourselves accountable,"  said Eben Smith, WAGMI United co-founder. "So if Crawley Town Football Club doesn't get promoted to League One by the end of our second season, which we think is about 50/50, then we under-performed. If we underperform, Crawley Town fans should get to vote on who the next directors of the club are. We might run for reelection because it was clearly all Preston's fault, but we don’t just get to hold the fanbase hostage because our dad invented Cablevision."

Right click save as right into receivership