Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

Did I say it was "upsetting" or "controversial"? No; I said it makes me laugh, which it does.

I sometimes wonder what alchemy is involved between my typing something & the interpretive dances that are posted in response.

I think it's mostly that your original post on it seemed like a non-sequitur

e: Or what the good professor said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

But also I think the point of the OP was more to highlight how stupid and often hypocritical those "in this house we believe..." signs are. gently caress those signs. Lemme know when someone makes signs with actual positive actions on them like a liveable minimum wage or slavery reparations, rather than just statements of believe that require zero action.

:yeah:

I saw an example of this dynamic after the BLM protests in '20, when a friend of mine (who has both In This House & security signage) stated emphatically that "Violence is never justified" in context of being upset about the looting that resulted in some cities.

I tried to pointing out that maybe it's not "justified" but it's certainly understandable given historical & sociopolitical context but she wouldn't budge from her view that the looters had irrevocably tainted the protests.

eta:

Oracle posted:

People are trying to understand what you find funny about it. I have home security, it came with the house we bought. We kept it to use when the kids were little to know when a door or window was opened because the little toddlers were always trying to go outside (it beeps a few times) and hooked it up to our sump pump because the last time it failed it flooded our basement when we were out of town so they call if the power goes out to it, which has saved out butts several times (high water table).

I think "performative wokeness" sums things up. :)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 7, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

:yeah:

An example of this dynamic was after the BLM protests in '20, when a friend of mine (who has both In This House & security signage) stated emphatically that "Violence is never justified" in context of being upset about the looting that resulted in some cities.

I tried to pointing out that maybe it's not "justified" but it's certainly understandable given historical context but she wouldn't budge from her view that the looters had irrevocably tainted the protests.

"When ______ do it, it's about survival. When _________ do it, it's violent unruly crime!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuQhNdpX2GA

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Wanting to feel safe in your home and wanting broader social justice and compassion isn't a contradiction either. You can laugh at whatever you want though, that's the beauty of humor being subjective.

It might be if you are safe in your home and feel unsafe due to a disconnect between your claimed compassion and your actual perception of the people around you who need it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

It might be if you are safe in your home and feel unsafe due to a disconnect between your claimed compassion and your actual perception of the people around you who need it.

I think people can want to have home security measures while also not feeling "unsafe" in their homes. Do you think that everybody who sets up home security is doing it because they feel unsafe? It seems like simple, precautionary prudence, to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Professor Beetus posted:

Wanting to feel safe in your home and wanting broader social justice and compassion isn't a contradiction either. You can laugh at whatever you want though, that's the beauty of humor being subjective.

On the one hand, I sympathize with disgust or distaste for performative wokeness that is undercut by actual actions/opinions, like having one of those signs and then say, voting down affordable housing legislation. I just think it's weird to imagine that every single house you see with one of those signs is obviously also a NIMBY rear end in a top hat. There's only one of those signs on our street and the guy that lives there is black.

Oh yeah I'm definitely generalizing here. I just hate those signs. Their smug aura mocks me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^ It is what it is, they're like the outdoor version of "live, laugh, love" signs imo ^

Harold Fjord posted:

What do you mean by this exactly? I believe the number one way to curb issues like property crime are to make sure that people are having their needs met. At the same time, society isn't meeting their needs and I'd still rather not be burgled in my home, and there's not a lot I can personally do about that.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 7, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I read the CPS story over lunch and it is more nuanced than the title and sub-header seem.

But, it is basically listing out a bunch of mostly true things and then taking a wild swerve on the conclusion. It seems like she felt she had to propose a solution for some reason and couldn't come up with one.

She lays out the problems and examples really well, but just kind of arrives at the conclusion that the solution is to just not do things wrong?

Her argument is:

- Kids would be better off with their basic needs taken care of (true; lots of evidence to support this)

- The number of kids who spent at least a day in foster care custody rose by X from 2011 to 2021 (is that in line with population growth? Is it a lot of people in there for one day? That is very different from losing custody forever)

- Lower income people generally face more scrutiny and challenges than higher income people (generally true; lots of evidence to support this)

- Lower income people are disproportionately black (true; lots of evidence to support this)

- CPS has taken kids from black parents when they would have probably been better off staying with their families. Here's 3 examples. (true; they definitely don't have a perfect record)

- CPS also frequently fails to take kids away from abusive families fast enough. (true; but seems to undercut your original point)

- CPS existing doesn't prevent all child abuse (technically true)

- Texas has the highest investigation rate of child abuse and the highest rate of child abuse, so investigations don't prevent child abuse. (Are those directly causal? Maybe Texas has high investigation rates because they have high abuse rates and the high investigation rates aren't causing high abuse. Do states with lower investigation rates have less abuse?)

Her Conclusion:

- We should provide for the basic needs of at risk children and families to get better results. (true; lots of evidence to support this)

- This will eliminate most child abuse. (not very much evidence for this)

- With most child abuse gone, we should abolish the CPS and create a new system that never takes kids away from their parents; unless they really are in danger. If they are really in danger, then they should be taken away faster than they do now, but not taken away at all if they aren't in danger.

(true...? But, who is arguing that would be bad? And how is abolishing CPS to create an organization that only does things right and never wrong a solution? Or meaningfully different from just making CPS only do things right and never wrong?)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah I'm definitely generalizing here. I just hate those signs. Their smug aura mocks me.

The "In this house we" ones that start off generally the same like believing in gender equality then 180ing into "loving HATE APARTMENTS" are always "interesting" to see

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah, California's various CPS agencies are a hot mess that have resulted in the murder of dozens of kids, and that's also happened in a lot of other states.

Remember that weirdo Turpin couple who locked up their kids & starved them? The Riverside County CPS placed a few of the kids in a foster home in which they were molested & tortured, which is absolutely heartbreaking.

The problem being the foster care system is massively underfunded, understaffed and lacks oversight to an absolutely critical degree, you'd figure. But just another case of social safety nets being torn open like copper out of the walls to pay for the ruling class's crack habit.

The problem is very tied in with 'defund the police' and the hardened opposition to it- governments are literally dril candles tweet levels of overfunding the police and starving everything else, and you can show that to people and they simply can't register it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The "In this house we" ones that start off generally the same like believing in gender equality then 180ing into "loving HATE APARTMENTS" are always "interesting" to see

the ones where they pick one or two of the lines to tape off are also extremely entertaining

it invites you to imagine the person who purchases and erects a literal, physical signal of their virtue in the hopes of being thought better of by passers-by, and then thinks 'oh no, what if someone thinks I might be soft on crime/immigrants/the gays, gotta make sure that one's not on there'

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Josh Hawley was giving an interview and the reporter asked him about his comments that KBJ shouldn't be on the Supreme Court if she can't tell them what a woman is.

quote:

Reporter: What is a women? What answer should she have given?

Hawley: Someone who can give birth to a child, a mother, is a woman. Someone who has a uterus is a woman. It doesn’t seem that complicated to me.

Reporter: So if a woman has her uterus removed by a hysterectomy, is she still a woman?

Hawley: Yeah. Well, I don’t know, would they?

Reporter: Yes.

Reporter: Would you consider a woman to still be a woman if she lost her uterus to cancer?

Hawley: I mean, a woman has a vagina, right?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/republicans-ketanji-brown-jackson-woman_n_624c9967e4b0d8266ab22274

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem being the foster care system is massively underfunded, understaffed and lacks oversight to an absolutely critical degree, you'd figure. But just another case of social safety nets being torn open like copper out of the walls to pay for the ruling class's crack habit.

The problem is very tied in with 'defund the police' and the hardened opposition to it- governments are literally dril candles tweet levels of overfunding the police and starving everything else, and you can show that to people and they simply can't register it.

Yeah, what I always emphasize is that CPS is a last-ditch stopgap measure, while they could stand better funding and support to do their jobs, the agency struggles are also a sign that all the crucial social supports that prevent people from coming to CPS’ auspices have been slashed into nonexistence. Take care of housing/financial/medical/addiction/whatever needs and people can usually better care for their kids without additional social worker intervention, not to mention said intervention would be far less intrusive if there were adequate resources to connect folks to

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, what I always emphasize is that CPS is a last-ditch stopgap measure, while they could stand better funding and support to do their jobs, the agency struggles are also a sign that all the crucial social supports that prevent people from coming to CPS’ auspices have been slashed into nonexistence. Take care of housing/financial/medical/addiction/whatever needs and people can usually better care for their kids without additional social worker intervention, not to mention said intervention would be far less intrusive if there were adequate resources to connect folks to

But how are we going to pay for it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

I think people can want to have home security measures while also not feeling "unsafe" in their homes. Do you think that everybody who sets up home security is doing it because they feel unsafe? It seems like simple, precautionary prudence, to me.

Maybe you should reread the post I quoted because I was responding to it specifically, and that's where the idea of people wanting to feel safe and the implication that they do not came from.

Professor Beetus posted:

What do you mean by this exactly?

That even well meaning people are constantly being steeped in FYGM.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 7, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Her Conclusion:

- We should provide for the basic needs of at risk children and families to get better results. (true; lots of evidence to support this)

- This will eliminate most child abuse. (not very much evidence for this)

- With most child abuse gone, we should abolish the CPS and create a new system that never takes kids away from their parents; unless they really are in danger. If they are really in danger, then they should be taken away faster than they do now, but not taken away at all if they aren't in danger.

(true...? But, who is arguing that would be bad? And how is abolishing CPS to create an organization that only does things right and never wrong a solution? Or meaningfully different from just making CPS only do things right and never wrong?)

I wonder if the reduced poverty from the short-lived expanded CTC had any effect on child-abuse statistics.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh yeah; the systemic & bipartisan austerity has hollowed out state social-service agencies while providing nice fat contracts to consultancies & other private-sector grifts.

This became apparent from the earliest days of the pandemic, from fubar'd unemployment-comp systems devised by private consultants, then "fixed" by other private consultants, to the NGOs given contracts to administer rent-relief funding.

While government may have been drowned in that bathtub as Norquist wanted, the privatization schemes are forever.

But, as you point out, there's always more money when it comes to funding the cops.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't really get what you mean by this. Should compassionate people not lock their doors at night? What does one's "actual perception of the people around you" have to do with it? I don't really understand how this all fits together - it feels like an incomplete argument, like there's something being left unsaid.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
KBJ got confirmed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
People can put out the sign while also getting extra suspicious when they see people walking through the neighborhood who 'just look like they don't belong'

Our culture is very lovely and good people are not immune.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, at this point it should be getting through to some people itt that talk and gesture is one thing and action is another, and it's the latter that reveals what people's actual priorities are.

Harold Fjord posted:

Maybe you should reread the post I quoted because I was responding to it specifically, and that's where the idea of people wanting to feel safe and the implication that they do not came from.

Yeah, we live in a societal paradigm where we are taught from birth that charity and consideration for anyone else is a luxury that we might maybe be able to afford in modest amounts in our downtime, and WILL be punished for, or at least amount to nothing, if we don't do it exactly right. IE, given every excuse to not bother.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Edward Mass posted:

KBJ got confirmed.
As I saw someone pointing out, this will probably be the last Dem nominee confirmed to SCOTUS for a long time

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Are you talking about home security or the silly "in this house we..." signs? If home security, then are you saying that because there are people out in the world who can not feel secure in their homes, people who want to feel secure and have the means to pursue security should...not?

e: echoing Mainepainframe. Could you restate your argument against home security?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FlamingLiberal posted:

As I saw someone pointing out, this will probably be the last Dem nominee confirmed to SCOTUS for a long time
I'm just glad they didn't find some weird loophole to say "nah, we're going to drag this out until past the 2024 election."
I mean, we're still majorly hosed, but that's one nice thing.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Nancy Pelsoi has covid.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/07/politics/nancy-pelosi-has-covid/index.html

And Merrick Garland, along with bunch of other people including the commerce secretary and Adam Schiff got covid over the weekend at a fancy party as well.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/06/politics/merrick-garland-covid-19/

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Legit probably the last one for the next 10 years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JazzFlight posted:

I'm just glad they didn't find some weird loophole to say "nah, we're going to drag this out until past the 2024 election."
I mean, we're still majorly hosed, but that's one nice thing.

This is how the Senate can function when the filibuster isn't involved

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think it's written in stone that we're going to lose the Senate and the Presidency in 2024.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

. Could you restate your argument against home security?

I did not make an argument against home security so I have nothing to restate. I suggested that some people may feel unsafe in their homes due to latent racism and/or classism even if they are perfectly safe and those same people may not realize that this feeling and how it makes them act contradicts their show of tolerance and inclusivity qua signs.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 7, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

I did not make an argument against home security so I have nothing to restate. I suggested that some people may feel unsafe in their homes due to latent racism and/or classism even if they are perfectly safe and those same people may not realize that this feeling and how it makes them act contradicts their show of tolerance and inclusivity qua signs.

Ok my mistake, fair enough. I suppose that's true, some people feel unsafe because of latent racism and classism. I wouldn't make that assumption about people simply because they employ or desire home security, though. The desire to secure one's home seems so very basic and intuitive, to me.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Nancy Pelsoi has covid.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/07/politics/nancy-pelosi-has-covid/index.html

And Merrick Garland, along with bunch of other people including the commerce secretary and Adam Schiff got covid over the weekend at a fancy party as well.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/06/politics/merrick-garland-covid-19/

Same with Debbie Wasshername Schultz.

I saw a story that tallied the MoC with covid & dems outnumbered the gop like 2-1. How? It can't be bc the GOP members are lying if they all get tested. Are the Dems more cavalier bc they've all gotten vaccines & boosters? :iiam:

Also lol that they were all yakking it up at the gridiron dinner last week, which featured dancers dressed as covid viruses.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

The desire to secure one's home seems so very basic and intuitive, to me.

Of course it does. Capitalism tells us we all have to compete with one another all the time and everyone wants whats yours and then makes this a self fulfilling prophecy by depriving people of their basic needs. It alienates us from our neighbors, who are strangers we end up living near due to happenstance of the availability of housing and our personal finances.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Of course it does. Capitalism tells us we all have to compete with one another all the time and everyone wants whats yours and then makes this a self fulfilling prophecy by depriving people.

Sorry, what? Are you arguing that there's a social and economic system under which nobody would desire to protect their homes and belongings?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Willa Rogers posted:

Also lol that they were all yakking it up at the gridiron dinner last week, which featured dancers dressed as covid viruses.

Seems kind of like someone showing up as the Red Death doesn't it?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

Sorry, what? Are you arguing that there's a social and economic system under which nobody would desire to protect their homes and belongings?

Obviously not. Of course irrational people will always exist.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Obviously not. Of course irrational people will always exist.

So then you believe there is a system of government or society in which only irrational people would desire home security? That's very interesting, what would that look like?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's called Communism and there are many good works on the topic.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

How are u posted:

So then you believe there is a system of government or society in which only irrational people would desire home security? That's very interesting, what would that look like?

a system in which government is not actively engaged in throwing people into concentration camps for their presumed inborn criminality (congrats to biden on dropping the "and also they're probably diseased" justification, only took him two years!) would likely result in fewer people feeling like they need to broadcast their home's defensibility to all who behold it, in my opinion

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Seems kind of like someone showing up as the Red Death doesn't it?

America is so indulgent we got two masque of the red death parties during a pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oracle posted:

People are trying to understand what you find funny about it. I have home security, it came with the house we bought. We kept it to use when the kids were little to know when a door or window was opened because the little toddlers were always trying to go outside (it beeps a few times) and hooked it up to our sump pump because the last time it failed it flooded our basement when we were out of town so they call if the power goes out to it, which has saved out butts several times (high water table).

A bunch of posters are showing their rear end about how little they know about how or why security systems work, and trying to politicize making theft claims to Amazon.

I'm sure some people use security systems to posture, but people do that with everything. If you don't get the value of a security system you need to level the gently caress up.