Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hatelull posted:

My brother is a huge prog nerd and Porcupine Tree is one of his favorites. I did the necessary and grabbed two tickets this morning for the Dallas show at the pre-sale. Pretty solid seats too I think, although pricey. Not really familiar with the venue and this will be a road trip for us. Should be fun though.

I like some of Wilson's solo stuff and the few PT albums I've listened to, I dig. I can see how they would be pretty stellar live. BUT, the promo pic is definitely just the three of them. It's been mentioned the bassist is not back for this new material. Do you guys think they tour as a threesome or do they get a ringer to play live with them? It would suck if my (and my brother's) probably only chance to see this band live is with backtracked bass.

From everything after Lightbulb Sun they toured with John Wesley on guitar and backing vocals. I don't doubt that they'll find a very good bass player to replace Colin on tour.

Now, hush and enjoy the second cut from C/C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY148yblJdg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Here's PT talking about the new album:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/10/reunited-prog-rockers-porcupine-tree-on-surviving-their-rift-you-cant-help-but-feel-bitter

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

hatelull posted:

Do you guys think they tour as a threesome or do they get a ringer to play live with them? It would suck if my (and my brother's) probably only chance to see this band live is with backtracked bass.

I couldn't imagine SW using a bass backing track. I'm certain they will have a hired gun on bass on the tour, probably a second guitarist too (not John Wesley)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I like almost all of SW’s music (Blackfield just wasn’t that… good…) and he always seemed like a fairly decent bloke but the fact that it looks like he straight-up didn’t tell Colin and Wes just sours it a bit.

I’ve preordered the vinyl, but I doubt I’ll go to the gigs. I saw them twice on the Anaesthetise and Incident tours and they were absolutely stellar. Very polished. I’m not sure how interested I am something that feels even more like a polished performance — I still like things to feel a bit ‘live’.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Tony Levin's gonna be looking for work...

edit : That made me google around and I realized Stick Men are in town next month. I guess I don't have a choice to go see them :D

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 12, 2022

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Im hype as a kite for the album but god Steven just seems like a chore to deal with lol

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
SW's been touring with Nick Beggs basically forever, yeah? Him laying down some stick over PT tracks would probably be pretty sick.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

My GF spotted my hair in the KC trailer. That is from one of the two Rome shows. My friend Christian is in the dark shirt second row standing behind Mr. Pink. Lol.

Red line pointing at my greying hair.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i went to the coheed show in albany on tuesday and it was, hands down, the best show i have ever been to. even compared to other coheed shows i've been to it was something special.

if you even moderately like a song or two by them you really owe it to yourself to go see them live. there is no other live show on earth that has the same energy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i went to the coheed show in albany on tuesday and it was, hands down, the best show i have ever been to. even compared to other coheed shows i've been to it was something special.

if you even moderately like a song or two by them you really owe it to yourself to go see them live. there is no other live show on earth that has the same energy.
I saw them in 2016 (they were touring for The Color Before the Sun) and that was a really fun show, but I wish I'd been more into them before seeing them and learned more of their songs. There were a bunch of people at that show singing along to every word with Claudio and it looked like they were having the time of their lives. I was enjoying myself too but I didn't have the familiarity with them to do that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Parents got a snap with Pat Mastelotto, and I am jealous.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Edward Mass posted:

Parents got a snap with Pat Mastelotto, and I am jealous.

SXSW?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rageaholic posted:

I saw them in 2016 (they were touring for The Color Before the Sun) and that was a really fun show, but I wish I'd been more into them before seeing them and learned more of their songs. There were a bunch of people at that show singing along to every word with Claudio and it looked like they were having the time of their lives. I was enjoying myself too but I didn't have the familiarity with them to do that.

replace 'a bunch of people' with 'drat near every single person in the crowd' in my case. it was absurd, even other coheed concerts didn't have anywhere near the extent of people singing along to literally every single song, no matter how new or how deep a cut. in between a couple songs, claudio and josh talked about how amazing the crowd was and how they couldn't really hear their own instruments over everyone singing along. it fuckin ruled and now i'm debating on whether to go see them again in july in nyc.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Yes. They saw the new KC doc, and all I got was a T-shirt.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so I've been going through the bluray portion of the terrifyingly massive pink floyd "early years" box set and while the material that is there and available is pretty fantastic

but probably the one thing I was really hoping for above all else was just a simple, clean remastering of the pompeii film

the original pompeii film. not the one with the boring abbey road sequences. definitely not the one from the turn of the century that looks like 90% b-roll from the discovery channel with a bunch of NASA nonsense and senseless CGI.

and, based on what was on the track listing (most notably putting the two halves of echoes - which originally bookended the film - together), it was clear we weren't exactly getting that. but I've gotten there now and it's essentially the worst of all possible worlds: it's a new edit from the director's cut elements (which are chopped to 16:9 in the laziest manner possible), with a new audio mix where I can't put my finger on what's off about it, but something is clearly off about it

so it appears the bonus feature version on the director's cut dvd is still the only way to get the original pompeii film (and even then, I think the titles and end credits are newly video-toastered to eliminate the fact that the credits aren't in english oooooooo scary, though they don't do the thing the director's cut does where it completely ruins the long shots at the front and back of the film with, again, space nonsense)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hexwren posted:

the original pompeii film. not the one with the boring abbey road sequences.

You mean the boring Abbey Road sequences that are a document of the early Dark Side of the Moon sessions?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yes

like, it's great that the footage exists

but it doesn't belong in that movie

especially the conversation about apple pie and oysters that goes on for approximately thirteen years

the movie came out, the dark side stuff was inserted in the rerelease a couple years later

the original is just a lean, mean concert movie. one solid hour of tunes

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Those parts are essential!

To be fair Live at Pompeii rerouted my musical life at just the right moment and that (I guess) is the version I saw.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

BigFactory posted:

Ignoring that Power Windows exists. Shame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just got my tickets for Saucerful of Secrets. :getin:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

Ignoring that Grace Under Pressure exists. Shame.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BigFactory posted:

Ignoring that Signals exists. Shame.

Said it before, saying it again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Let’s face it, they’re all good

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Let’s face it, they’re all good

Except Tai Shan.

That song stinks.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kazinsal posted:

Except Tai Shan.

That song stinks.

They’ve admitted it was a bad mistake in a few interviews over the years and IIRC Geddy or Alex called it their worst song.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fartknocker posted:

They’ve admitted it was a bad mistake in a few interviews over the years and IIRC Geddy or Alex called it their worst song.

The worst part about it is that despite it not even being a good song, it still gets stuck in your head.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

fartknocker posted:

That’s like trying to pick Rembrandt’s worst painting, if you discount the album Rembrandt did with John Rutsey.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I do really like hold your fire, and a softer piece fits that spot on the album just fine, but that particular song just...oof.

I don't think it's their worst song by at least a few places, tho, and that's not even taking the coward's route and saying the worst material is on the first or third records

all three of my picks for most-worst are on test for echo

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

That’s like trying to pick Rembrandt’s worst painting, if you discount the album Rembrandt did with John Rutsey.

Oh come I like that one, especially after stumbling on the footage of them playing it at a high school.

https://youtu.be/Drouhbjp_9c

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

all three of my picks for most-worst are on test for echo

Better not have dog years on that list

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And virtuality has to be one of the others. I’m getting really upset. Need some Color of Right to put me straight. I dare anyone to listen to Color of Right and not immediately have their day improved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpgMXqqgKic

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Better not have dog years on that list

sorry

color of right is really good tho

when that album is good, it's really, really good

when it's not...

(the worst of all imo is the title track)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

sorry

color of right is really good tho

when that album is good, it's really, really good

when it's not...

(the worst of all imo is the title track)

Dog years is an A tier rush song. One of neil’s funnest drum parts, a catchy uptempo tune with a bunch of puns about dogs. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Title track has some clunky lyrics but it’s otherwise a decent song. Carve Away The Stone is the weakest song on the album imo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oh no what have I done

I think the Rush album I listen to the least is Presto. Once in a while Superconductor comes on the radio and I'm like, oh yeah, that album exists.

Signals is probably my favourite though. I feel blessed to have been able to see them play Losing It when they came to Vancouver for the R40 tour. Their last ever Canadian show and only the fourth of five times they every played that song live.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

New Stick Men

Merch table or Bandcamp

https://stickmen-moonjune.bandcamp.com/album/tentacles

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Gilmour and Mason are putting out a new song for Ukraine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

Gilmour and Mason are putting out a new song for Ukraine.

It's also bloody good, so unlimber your wallets.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Thieves ransacked Alan White's home and storage unit, stealing tons of stuff including the drum kit he used on "Imagine" and "All Things Must Pass".

gently caress.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/priceless-drum-set-john-lennons-imagine-album-stolen/QYM6LJCPOZHAVFHJ2W5TH4IVCU/

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 15, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

New interview with Geddy and Alex roughly about the Moving Pictures era with a bunch of anecdotes about songwriting etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U0mnz__iUg

I had no idea about The Fabulous Men. I want to hear some of those tapes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jon Anderson's been doing a limited tour - six dates - with the Paul Green School of Rock. I had a ticket to the first stop and happened to check his Facebook and Anderson mentioned he was making a few setlists to sell at each show. They were pretty cheap, less than the cost of the tour shirt, so I picked one up and even more cheaply stuck it in a frame with a bit of posterboard behind it.

The show was fine. It's teens for the band and some vocals and Anderson was having fun with it. There were some mashups, snippets of others' songs that led into a snipped of a Yes song. Lenny Kravitz's Fly Away into Long Distance Runaround, Kashmir into Don't Kill the Whale and Lose Yourself into the Jon & Vangelis song, State of Independence. Anderson did a bit of backing vocals on Fly Away, but let the kids handle Kashmir and Lose Yourself.