Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Look, if you're up against the coolest ace suit in the show, you don't get to crack it open without at least forcing it through a few different damaged states. That's just how it is, Stark should've considered marketability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
GMs look cool in The Origin.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Should have. Author had his hand on the scales

Naah, it was pretty clear that while he was making Marida pay attention, she was mostly just feeling him out until she was comfortable enough with his capabilities to cut him down. The way she dealt with his big death-or-glory charge by simply buffeting him away with the Kshatriya's thrusters was almost contemptuous in how casual it was.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
GM Command space type balls out in the intro to one of the Gundam games.

Stark Jegan should have won. The Jestas the new black tri-stars style on some dudes but they're also Feddie's.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam is entirely arbitrary depending on setting.

UC: Usually has a face.
AD: Celestial Being robots except when they're not.
CE: Uses a GUNDAM OS.
IBO: Had multiple Ahab Reactors.
Wing: Made from Gundanium
G: Participates in Gundam Fights
X: See UC.
Turn-A: Someone calls it a Gundam
G-Reco: G is for Gundam
You Parents: All robots are Gundam

Repeating what I said in the SRW thread:

If the face moves when it talks: Transformer
If the face doesn't move: Gundam

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Repeating what I said in the SRW thread:

If the face moves when it talks: Transformer
If the face doesn't move: Gundam

Right. So Gundam Gusion Rebake is a transformer, while Shockwave is a Gundam. I understand now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Right. So Gundam Gusion Rebake is a transformer, while Shockwave is a Gundam. I understand now.

Exactly! See, it's a SUPER simple heuristic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's a model kit picture of the Lfrith from Witch of Mercury floating around, showing a possible gimmick. Which could just be confined to the Lfrith alone, or could be consistent across multiple suits; including the Aerial possibly.

It's certainly an interesting gimmick, if multiple suits within the setting will use it. You can see how sectional the Aerial's shield is, so it wouldn't be surprising if it split up. Plus, the grey section on the front of it's shield does look like it'd fit neatly over the short barrel of the Aerial's beam rifle, while the thrusters would make sense attaching to the peg on the back of the unit.

ImpAtom posted:

The Freedom/Justice were intentionally designed to look like the Federation stolen suits as a 'we took your poo poo and made it better' gently caress you.

The Astrays have it because the original Gundams were a co product of the Federation and Orb so Orb just stole their poo poo.

Which is rather funny, when you consider that the Earth Alliance created Gundams in the first place by improving on ZAFT's mobile suits. I'd joke that the next entry would have ZAFT stealing more EA Gundams that are better than theirs again, but that'd require EA being competent again and I think Fukuda basically poo poo all over that idea in Destiny once and for all.

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the Ideon.

The Ideon is commonly held as the God of GMs; not their king. As opposed to the Gunbuster, as the God of Zakus.

Gaius Marius posted:

Should have. Author had his hand on the scales

I mean sure, but that's true of every fight in every piece of fiction ever; bar unscripted content like (some) tabletop games. The only reason the Stark Jegan pilot could threaten her at all is also because the author had his hands on the scales; does that invalidate his actions too?

Darth Walrus posted:

Naah, it was pretty clear that while he was making Marida pay attention, she was mostly just feeling him out until she was comfortable enough with his capabilities to cut him down. The way she dealt with his big death-or-glory charge by simply buffeting him away with the Kshatriya's thrusters was almost contemptuous in how casual it was.

I always felt like it was a respect thing; as in, she was engaging him on his terms by dueling him after he had shown some degree of skill in evading her funnels. If she wanted to kill him easily, she could have done so straight away when he rushed her, because the Kshatriya has 12 mega particle cannons it can fire in front of it, with 4 of them alone on the chest even discounting the binder ones entirely. She probably didn't use them from a production stand point, because they didn't want to reveal the suit's full capabilities too early; but from a narrative stand point it makes it come off like she was giving the guy as much chance as possible because of that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 6, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Lfrith's head reminds me a lot of the Ingram from Patlabor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It'd be neat to see the shield break apart in motion and fly onto its back like fin funnels

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

There's a model kit picture of the Lfrith from Witch of Mercury floating around, showing a possible gimmick. Which could just be confined to the Lfrith alone, or could be consistent across multiple suits; including the Aerial possibly.

It's certainly an interesting gimmick, if multiple suits within the setting will use it. You can see how sectional the Aerial's shield is, so it wouldn't be surprising if it split up. Plus, the grey section on the front of it's shield does look like it'd fit neatly over the short barrel of the Aerial's beam rifle, while the thrusters would make sense attaching to the peg on the back of the unit.

Which is rather funny, when you consider that the Earth Alliance created Gundams in the first place by improving on ZAFT's mobile suits. I'd joke that the next entry would have ZAFT stealing more EA Gundams that are better than theirs again, but that'd require EA being competent again and I think Fukuda basically poo poo all over that idea in Destiny once and for all.

The Ideon is commonly held as the God of GMs; not their king. As opposed to the Gunbuster, as the God of Zakus.

I mean sure, but that's true of every fight in every piece of fiction ever; bar unscripted content like (some) tabletop games.

I always felt like it was a respect thing; as in, she was engaging him on his terms by dueling him after he had shown some degree of skill in evading her funnels. If she wanted to kill him easily, she could have done so straight away when he rushed her, because the Kshatriya has 12 mega particle cannons it can fire in front of it, with 4 of them alone on the chest even discounting the binder ones entirely. She probably didn't use them from a production stand point, because they didn't want to reveal the suit's full capabilities too early; but from a narrative stand point it makes it come off like she was giving the guy as much chance as possible because of that.

I feel like this is one of those suits designed by a madman that later generations of engineers hate/are confused by.

So wait, the shield is additional thrusters? And also add on parts for the rifle? Do they not know that the shield is going to block things, and that this is going to damage all of those fiddly bits?

I suppose it's better than that one combiner where one of the combination pieces had its cockpit as part of the shield.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Waffleman_ posted:

It'd be neat to see the shield break apart in motion and fly onto its back like fin funnels

Cherudim's Bits do this in reverse and it's very good

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Caros posted:

I feel like this is one of those suits designed by a madman that later generations of engineers hate/are confused by.

So wait, the shield is additional thrusters? And also add on parts for the rifle? Do they not know that the shield is going to block things, and that this is going to damage all of those fiddly bits?

I suppose it's better than that one combiner where one of the combination pieces had its cockpit as part of the shield.

I mean, the Zeta line had the same problem, where if the shield got damaged during combat, the waverider mode was basically unusable. It's possible the show will take place in a setting with other defensive technology that means a physical shield is somewhat redundant and thus, they're not too concerned it it's damaged. The Lfrith may have energy shielding for instance, or mostly deal with opponents using physical attacks but have armor immune to it like phase shift. Or just have really tough armor that's good against most attacks the way PD's nanolaminate paint is, so the shield adds some extra hardiness, but isn't strictly necessary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I mean sure, but that's true of every fight in every piece of fiction ever; bar unscripted content like (some) tabletop games. The only reason the Stark Jegan pilot could threaten her at all is also because the author had his hands on the scales; does that invalidate his actions too?

Marida isn't arrogant or cruel, but I don't think she does respect like that either. It felt more like a cautious, pragmatic 'OK, how good is this guy and what's going to work against him?' approach.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Caros posted:

So it's an MP 00 Qan[T]?

That's the first thing that comes to mind on seeing that shield, anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caros posted:

It's possible that the shield bits that attach to the other parts don't actually contain any fragile fiddly bits and are used to reinforce/channel the output of the rifle and thrusters rather than giving them new functionality. Like a barrel extension on a gun where it doesn't add any new moving parts to the gun.

In that context it would make sense for those materials to be super durable(and thus usable as a shield when you're not using them on the other bits).

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Marida isn't arrogant or cruel, but I don't think she does respect like that either. It felt more like a cautious, pragmatic 'OK, how good is this guy and what's going to work against him?' approach.

Another idea is dragging the fight out. I was going to disregard this as pointless until I remembered that the pursuing Londo Bell forces were firing on the Garanciers and that by stalling and leaving one of the Jegans alive, she may have prevented those ships from being able to continue firing for fear of hitting their own guy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lfrith gimmick seems more like a thing you'd see in the build series. Kinda like it though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

That suggests to me that we're getting some kind of weird new technology in this universe. A Gundam is a Gundam in the WfM universe because it's uses whatever is going on there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

The Lfrith's head reminds me a lot of the Ingram from Patlabor

I can see that. Not a bad influence, and hey, we've got a redheaded female protagonist, so it's a nice nod.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
There's some shots of the Aerial's model where you can see hinges on the back of the it's shield matching up with the parts on the front that look like thruster vents, I almost immediately assumed it would work like the Banshee Norn's shield or the X-Divider and double as a flight pack

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Please let me preorder the Aerial.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, looking things up, the IBO special editions started yesterday. Anyone been able to find anything about runtime, new animation, scenes left out, that kind of thing?

I've managed to watch the OP, but nothing else is coming quickly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seemlar posted:

There's some shots of the Aerial's model where you can see hinges on the back of the it's shield matching up with the parts on the front that look like thruster vents, I almost immediately assumed it would work like the Banshee Norn's shield or the X-Divider and double as a flight pack

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it works exactly like the Unicorn series's Armed Armor DB shields. Again, I'm guessing that Mercury is a Newtype colony, and Gundams are special because they're designed to channel their powers. See also, the mysterious red lights on the Aerial.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
A beam chainsaw comes out of that there gun.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 7, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pneub posted:

A beam chainsaw comes out of that there gun.

Beam chainsaw? Well, they did announce that the anime was this year...

(I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.)

Moving back on topic, watching the OP for the IBO special editions reminded me that Carta Issue carried a ceremonial katana everywhere. She really didn't have a chance from the start, did she?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Moving back on topic, watching the OP for the IBO special editions reminded me that Carta Issue carried a ceremonial katana everywhere. She really didn't have a chance from the start, did she?

She really didn't, but it was certainly a memorable way to go where all year pomp and ceremony got decked in the face.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Season one of IBO is a lineup of children both literal and figurative, all with different bad ideas about war, being thrust into an actual one.

Season two is when the adults turn up, you're just not sure which ones they are until later.

Incidentally, I've realized why at times 00 can be even harder to watch than IBO: at least Tekkadan win sometimes. 00 is pretty much a parade of manipulation, failure and pyrrhic victories; it never gets as dark as IBO gets content-wise, but it's really rare that the credits roll in 00 and Celestial Being are doing well.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with carrying a katana everywhere? I'll have you know it gives you an air of dignity and respect, just the other day I was walking down the street cradling my katana and wakazashi in their sheaths when a group of women stopped in their tracks and stared in awe. Such is the level of respect that I've gained since I grew up from my "swag" phase and became a gentleman bedecked in the finest suit I could find at goodwill, my swords, and of course my trilby ( I wouldn't wear a fedora too mainstream). I of course gave them a curt bow and M'lady before perambulating forsooth, I've already pledged my heart to a fair 2d maiden. Perhaps if you grew up a bit you'd realize that it'a just as essential an accessory for the discerning gentleman as a wallet chain, or a collection of nft's

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is how they're stretching the episode to feature length

https://twitter.com/g_cucuruzdoan/status/1511828092184002563?s=20&t=1ZvFhiglE5yYj8H13dxc1g

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
poo poo, Doan must have gone on a killing spree to mulch all their parents. He went out back and killed the goat's mom too, presumably. The bastard <:mad:>

I don't get how adding more orphans increases the story length on it's own though; is Amuro going to have to go around the island doing fetch quests for each of them in turn?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Yas just wanted to flex and draw more characters. I'm down for that, his art is great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

I don't get how adding more orphans increases the story length on it's own

Do you remember in Dragon Ball Z whenever something happened we'd get reaction shots of all the characters nearby?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I don't expect the fights in the movie to be good, if they're the same team that did the Choreography for the other Origin movies. I expect basically SEED Destiny tier "Feddie suits do nothing then blow up without ever having any tension in a fight scene whatsoever" whenever a fight doesn't involve the white base crew, similar to the Moon fight in The Origin movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Need to gauge the amount of iron in these orphans' diet. It's good for the blood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know why people get mad at the moon fight when the entire point of the battle is that the Federation is hopelessly lagging behind in mobile suit development and that you can't just apply tank squadron tactics to MS warfare.

Do people also get mad at the battle of Hong Kong because the green as grass Canadians got overrun by the Japanese or Singapore falling without its shore guns firing a single shot? It's not a case of poor choreography if the intent is to show the huge divide in battle doctrine.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 7, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If there's a reason to be mad at that fight, it's that the story wanted to have it's cake and eat it to by having mobile suits (recognizable mobile suits, at that) and just insisting they're not actually mobile suits; so it doesn't invalidate the idea that the Federation wouldn't have actual mobile suits till later. Just give the Federation actual space tanks or fighters if that's the intent, and have them be hopelessly outmatched. You could even have the Federation units be slightly cool then, by managing to take down one through sheer effort/skill, but it not being even close to enough to match the maneuverability of mobile suits.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

a guncannon with a pilot who has some flight hours would have been able to put up a decce fight against a zaku i.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

a guncannon with a pilot who has some flight hours would have been able to put up a decce fight against a zaku i.

A Guncannon pilot managed to kick rear end against Zaku IIs.

But Kai Shiden was too busy being a juvenile delinquent at the time to fight Zeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A guncannon with actual hands and a beam rifle, sure.