Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Not having an infantry screen to protect your tanks? That's a Javelin'

Not putting thermals on your AFVs? That's a Javelin'

Retreating with out air support? That's a Javelin'

Javelin'-proof APS prototype abandoned to save costs on tanks? Oh, you better believe that's a Javelin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

it's not hyperbole to say that their war crimes are fast approaching Nazi levels

That is in fact hyperbole to the point of hysteria. The Nazis executed well over 10 million people. I don't think any estimate of Ukrainian civilian/POW deaths even hits 10k. That's three orders of magnitude off.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
Give it time

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hepatizon posted:

That is in fact hyperbole to the point of hysteria. The Nazis executed well over 10 million people. I don't think any estimate of Ukrainian civilian/POW deaths even hits 10k. That's three orders of magnitude off.

They’re qualitative Nazi war crimes, but given time they might reach quantitative levels.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Russian animal cruelty and barbarity being described.

:nms:
code:

https://twitter.com/imatviyishyn/status/1512091708950867974?s=21&t=HdsRGJO0Re7tz0l5egnOlQ

God I open they catch a Javelin

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I gotta say those Russian conscripts are doing a bad job of making the Russian people seem like someone I should feel bad for.

I know war makes people act lovely, but this seems far beyond that, and conscription system makes sure we get what should be a representative sample of the common people of the nation, so its not like here were there is some level of seeking it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

hepatizon posted:

I'm sure the survivors in Bucha, Mariupol and Irpin aren't going to make the distinction. We have that insane "denazification" article being run in state-run Russian media which is basically calling for genocide, so I don't think it's a hysteric point to make at all even if they aren't approaching Hitler's high score.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm sure the survivors in Bucha, Mariupol and Irpin aren't going to make the distinction.

Assuming there will be any.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

And the spray painter? The ghost of Kiev.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hepatizon posted:

I'm sure the survivors in Bucha, Mariupol and Irpin aren't going to make the distinction. We have that insane "denazification" article being run in state-run Russian media which is basically calling for genocide, so I don't think it's a hysteric point to make at all even if they aren't approaching Hitler's high score.

That and with 80 years to develop technology to make the atrocities much more readily known to the world, I don't think you're going to see someone exterminate 10 million people over a short period of time without major consequences.

This is probably as extreme as it gets in the 21st century and the analogy fits.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Realistically, who aligns with Russia a year from now? 5 years from now? I realize that's impossible to answer accurately, but the longer this drags on, the more difficult I find it to believe that any countries other than current pariahs (read: North Korea, Syria, Myanmar, etc.) will make that decision.

The USSR was able to "provide" for its client states, at least (insofar as clearances, forced starvation, and military intervention can be considered providing for). Russia can't even do any of those things properly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CBJSprague24 posted:

That and with 80 years to develop technology to make the atrocities much more readily known to the world, I don't think you're going to see someone exterminate 10 million people over a short period of time without major consequences.

This is probably as extreme as it gets in the 21st century and the analogy fits.

Depends on what you mean by 'a short time period'... *glances at China*

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

psydude posted:

The USSR was able to "provide" for its client states, at least (insofar as clearances, forced starvation, and military intervention can be considered providing for). Russia can't even do any of those things properly.

Cheap gas and backchannel cash can buy a lot of friends, though.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Shooting Blanks posted:

Realistically, who aligns with Russia a year from now? 5 years from now? I realize that's impossible to answer accurately, but the longer this drags on, the more difficult I find it to believe that any countries other than current pariahs (read: North Korea, Syria, Myanmar, etc.) will make that decision.

China is so far waffling but increasingly willing to back Russia. India likewise but I bet if China goes all-in on Russia then they'll realign back to the US. Surprisingly, Vietnam just voted today at the UN against censuring Russia, so they might be part of that too. If Russia ramps the war crimes up even more (they're going to) and/or if they actually use a WMD then we might see some re-realignment, but at the moment it looks like what it comes down to is that some countries see the current US/European-led global systems as worse than letting Russia have free rein in Ukraine and this is one of the turnpoints in history where they have to pick one or the other. I think if the war just kind of peters out and Putin stays in power, in a couple of years China will be the shot-caller of the bloc that comes out of this that includes Russia and some other countries.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Loezi posted:

These look rather low-cut, but rubber high-boots are a godsend in marshy terrain, slush, etc.

E: Quoting the right post is useful

Hard disagree, good drainage is key in marsh/swamp/North Carolina draws.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Once your waterproof boot starts filling with water it tends to stay there, which gets rough.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Keep seeing stories about Putin's daughters being sanctioned but I never get past the hairlines.

I wanted to give his eldest the benefit of the doubt but it turns out her main job for Daddy is figuring out how to use CRISPR to make Gattaca babies.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

RFC2324 posted:

I gotta say those Russian conscripts are doing a bad job of making the Russian people seem like someone I should feel bad for.

I know war makes people act lovely, but this seems far beyond that, and conscription system makes sure we get what should be a representative sample of the common people of the nation, so its not like here were there is some level of seeking it.

Not in russia. Russia has selective conscription system and since nobody wants in (the benefits Arent like in the US Army, and hazing and abuse is horrible) the conscription In russia is WAY overrepresenting the poorest and least educated who have least chances to wiggle themselves out of it.

Think all the hyperboles How in the US only Poor go to Army to get a chance at college and healthcare and multiply it by a order of magnitude.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Valtonen posted:

Not in russia. Russia has selective conscription system and since nobody wants in (the benefits Arent like in the US Army, and hazing and abuse is horrible) the conscription In russia is WAY overrepresenting the poorest and least educated who have least chances to wiggle themselves out of it.

Think all the hyperboles How in the US only Poor go to Army to get a chance at college and healthcare and multiply it by a order of magnitude.

So basically a US prison mixed with Lord of the Flies.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

hepatizon posted:

They didn't do it all at once. And there were quite a number of mass executions following behind the military advance.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

And then give them access to RPGs and machine guns

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

That's how I used to describe the experience at schools like the one in Lords of Discipline, except in this case it's not an exaggeration and much more fitting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/scottdetrow/status/1512133375720579092?s=20&t=wm_-8xNGrouBIYngEoHjmw

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1512131457547915285

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1512134917433569280?t=zadnnC3ClttpIwtnxJLCpg&s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

I'm reminded of a fact that back during World War II, German troops would typically refrain from firing at American spotting aircraft for fear of revealing their positions and having artillery come down on them.

Everything old is new again.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

See, in a normal world I would feel bad for that poor slob who got most likely drafted into the army and was scared enough to lead a drone back to his own line.

But then I remember the 3 year old kids and lose any pity for Ivan.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

hepatizon posted:

ukrainian civilian death estimates are far above 10k. Closer to 100k if anything

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hepatizon posted:

You don't have to beat the Nazis high score to be considered a genocidal attempt at outright warcrimes, but I do love that Russia full on brought mobile crematoriums in a very :godwin: moment.

Its safe to say at this point that mass war crimes were entirely part of the plan and it very much mirrors what the Nazis did to multiple nations, but especially the Ukrainians, Poles, and Russians.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

You don't have to beat the Nazis high score to be considered a genocidal attempt at outright warcrimes, but I do love that Russia full on brought mobile crematoriums in a very :godwin: moment.

Its safe to say at this point that mass war crimes were entirely part of the plan and it very much mirrors what the Nazis did to multiple nations, but especially the Ukrainians, Poles, and Russians.

Even the existence of the mobile crematoriums imply that they thought corpses belonging to someone would be in such great supply that they’d need a mobile way of dealing with them.

They weren’t expecting heavy fighting either, and those two observations put together go straight into :gonk: territory.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just encountered a fresh new tankiesplain of Lend Lease. It goes something like: 'Actually, lend/lease was used to mine gold and save the US from the great Depression. '

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I just encountered a fresh new tankiesplain of Lend Lease. It goes something like: 'Actually, lend/lease was used to mine gold and save the US from the great Depression. '

It took the United Kingdom 61 years (2006) to pay off Lend Lease from WW2, it's a loan... not free goods.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Are their positions just madlibs now?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Remember weeks ago when the soldiers were trapped in an elevator? Some people were saying they hoped they were given a chance to surrender. Turns out those soldiers used everyone in the building as human shields. Now after what came out this week I feel no pity for that guy and hope this guy and his mates died screaming.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If nothing else it displays a lack of understanding of the timelines of the Great Depression and Lend/Lease.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Icon Of Sin posted:

Even the existence of the mobile crematoriums imply that they thought corpses belonging to someone would be in such great supply that they’d need a mobile way of dealing with them.

They weren’t expecting heavy fighting either, and those two observations put together go straight into :gonk: territory.

That crematorium needs to be taken out to preserve war crime evidence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

And given that they did not foresee a long, drawn out engagement, they fully expected those corpses to NOT be Russian.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ukrainian civilian death estimates are far above 10k. Closer to 100k if anything

Where are you getting that number? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't seen an educated guess in awhile.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Where are you getting that number? I'm not doubting you, I just haven't seen an educated guess in awhile.

I saw this earlier, nothing on the other 5k mentioned, but we can extrapolate a bit.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1512137198384123910

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004

psydude posted:

Catalan secessionists are another really special bunch for similar reasons. I met a couple while visiting my aunt in SW France and they gave off a strong SovCit vibe.

In what way? Also, were they from French Catalonia or Spanish (heh) Catalonia? My extended family is all pro independence and, yeah, as a movement they're super naive as to how the real world works, but they're not at all about SovCit.

Also one of the politicians that ended up in prison got shredded on BBC's HARDTalk, it was hilarious. He waltzed in thinking the interviewer would be kind and a captive audience and that about sums up the political ken of the leadership.

Also hilarious (in a sad way) was the Spanish police officers that trashed a bar in 2017 because the waiters were speaking Catalan. Except they were Italian and speaking Italian. And the police then accused the bar of stealing their phones. And one of them was in command of 250 anti riot officers.