Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Hour 2 at Malenia :shepicide:

Giving her rally/lifesteal is just pure loving evil. Most annoying thing about waterfowl dance is that I end up spending a lot of time running around trying to bait it out.

Otherwise it doesn't seem to be too bad. I try to do these kinds of bosses solo but just summoning my level 1 mimic tear has gotten me easily into phase 2, so I assume if I upgrade it to 10 I can kill her relatively smoothly if I lose my patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Njashi9 posted:

Giving her rally/lifesteal is just pure loving evil. Most annoying thing about waterfowl dance is that I end up spending a lot of time running around trying to bait it out.

Otherwise it doesn't seem to be too bad. I try to do these kinds of bosses solo but just summoning my level 1 mimic tear has gotten me easily into phase 2, so I assume if I upgrade it to 10 I can kill her relatively smoothly if I lose my patience.

Honestly Malenia is made a lot easier with summons in general. Dealing with waterfowl dance is a lot easier when there's a chance you won't be the target.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

dodgeblan posted:

yeah and there's guys whose job it is to kill those. If EVERYONE was undead then the golden order fundamentalists would have to put their beast eye on silent mode because it would be buzzing nonstop.

pretty sure the beast eye only goes off where there's deathroot in the mf'ing building

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Marvel length? You are like a little baby, watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_KVCFxnpj4

I feel like this guy has become a victim of the video essay wars

When he didn't have a Patreon or many subscribers and was just doing it as a hobby, his videos were a lot better. But around when he quit his day job and started living in a van with his girlfriend and doing videos as his "real job", the quality began to get buried under way too much length

Like, I watched his Forza 5 video last night, and while I agree with everything he said in it, he took like a full hour more than necessary to say it. That video could and should have been about 40 minutes long. I definitely do not think the video needed literally 45+ minutes where he tells us about how he's taking community college classes to be an auto mechanic and did you know how a clutch works well sonny jim let me tell you this is how a clutch works and then also 30 minutes about Herbie the Love Bug which, to be clear, is a great movie and he's right about it, but he just goes on and on and on and repeats the same thing, like spending 45 minutes talking about how he's a "car dude" now and how even though he's an environmentalist he just gosh darn it can't help it if cars are so cool and manly and complicated and did you know how a clutch works? It's like in Mad Max Fury Road, but different. Here, let me explain the visual metaphor in Fury Road, see the little kid is like a clutch, let me explain this to you even though "the little kid under the floor is the clutch" is not subtext or a clever metaphor, that's literally just what the movie was doing, the kid was doing the clutch's job, that's why he was under the floorboard

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i legit cannot discern whether you're making a joke or not

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

i legit cannot discern whether you're making a joke or not

exactly

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm suddenly realizing that my feelings about really long video essays and my feelings about Elden Ring's open world are kind of the same.

Yeah, you could probably do both in less time or less space. Noah's Dark Souls video could maybe have gotten the major points across in much less time. It would've taken some cuts and focusing more on a specific central thesis, but it could definitely be done. Elden Ring's map could've been more compressed, with less space between things, fewer dungeons but they're all totally unique, etc.

But I don't think I want them to. Sometimes it's just nice to hang out and think about one thing for a while, y'know? Like I liked the long Dark Souls video because I like to think about Dark Souls and it was a nice invitation to just sit down and do that in the company of another person's thoughts on it for a few stretches. And with Elden Ring, the sheer size of it made it feel like a grand journey in a way that I found nice just for its own sake and that wouldn't have been accomplished with a smaller map.

Neither is something I think everyone likes--I think SA in general has a pretty strong "don't waste my time, be efficient" streak--but I dunno, I kinda just like chilling with a thing for a while sometimes.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Harrow posted:

I think I'm suddenly realizing that my feelings about really long video essays and my feelings about Elden Ring's open world are kind of the same.

Yeah, you could probably do both in less time or less space. Noah's Dark Souls video could maybe have gotten the major points across in much less time. It would've taken some cuts and focusing more on a specific central thesis, but it could definitely be done. Elden Ring's map could've been more compressed, with less space between things, fewer dungeons but they're all totally unique, etc.

But I don't think I want them to. Sometimes it's just nice to hang out and think about one thing for a while, y'know? Like I liked the long Dark Souls video because I like to think about Dark Souls and it was a nice invitation to just sit down and do that in the company of another person's thoughts on it for a few stretches. And with Elden Ring, the sheer size of it made it feel like a grand journey in a way that I found nice just for its own sake and that wouldn't have been accomplished with a smaller map.

Neither is something I think everyone likes--I think SA in general has a pretty strong "don't waste my time, be efficient" streak--but I dunno, I kinda just like chilling with a thing for a while sometimes.

My gut reaction to these long videos is basically disgust, but I also know what you mean with this. I can see why people watch these and I have put on a couple in the past as background noise when I'm living alone and doing stuff around the house. They serve the same function as a podcast, where it's just someone talking about a subject I like to dwell on when I'm not doing much.

That's the only defense for them I think there is, and maybe that's enough. On the other hand, I think it would be better if this trend had never occurred in the first place, for the creators and the audience.

90 minutes for Elden Ring isn't completely out of line, it's just a bit excessive. I wouldn't think 40-60 minutes for an in depth review is too much for a game this size and with this much depth.

It's when you go over 2 hours that I just think come on, man. Let's both get a life.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I agree with the Joseph guy on pretty much everything he said, but I had no idea most of the poo poo in the late-game comes from Sekiro , as I never played that game, due to it having only one weapon.
I find it hilarious that people ITT are picking on the length of his videos.
I 'd rather have a guy like him say
"This thing is bad, here are multiple examples of it being bad, here's background of where bad thing comes from, and here's a detailed explanation of why it's bad",
than some talentless hack of a game journalist trying to sum up an subjective thing like "difficulty" with some un-funny quip.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont think any part of Elden Ring's open world was bad. It's just that by the time you hit the snowfields, you are starting to feel fatigue because things just keep ramping up with no end in sight.

Like a normal casual playthrough of ER is over twice as long as BB.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Augus posted:

5 hours to talk in-depth about 3 long games and 6 DLCs is pretty reasonable tbqh
i think he does waste way too much breath talking about youtube comments elitist gamers tho

Yeah the third time he dipped back into "maybe I didn't 'git gud' and beat the boss the INTENDED way but I still won" over footage of him trying to cast repeatedly with no FP yet again I was kinda like.....maybe you should have gotten good

nopants
May 29, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

TIME FOR BUILD QUESTION!

So I started with the Bandit class, figuring I wanted to focus on a Speed Melee character. So the stats i've been focusing on the start is Dex, Vigor and Endurance. My distribution thus far is 20 Dex, 18 Vigor, and 16 Endurance. My idea is to scale them two points apart. So once I put in 22 Dex, focus on getting Vigor to 20 and so on.

But now that I figured out how to use the Ashes of war skills and Ash summons, I need to keep an eye on my FP. So Mind is up to 13 so far. Plus I have a Blood Uchigatana+2 for my main weapon and my Arcane stat scales it's damage.

So should I be putting points into Arcane as well? How much should I be putting into Mind? Is my stat build strategy feasible or am I spreading myself to thin here?

I don't really plan on using magic or incantations unless I find something really cool.

your build is definitely viable. it'll be stronger in early/mid game if you stopped putting additional points and instead put them mostly into vigor and a little in endurance, but focusing on dex isn't going to make your build trash or anything. if you are going to stick with natural bleed weapons, you are gonna want to put lots of points into arcane. i've only respecced into an arcane build late game before going to new game+, but on my current character that's only like level 28 or something, i'm focusing on vigor, dex, and endurance until i can occult infuse my flails, then i'm gonna respec and switch a bunch of points into arcane. i only put enough points into mind so i can use my favorite summons. if i think i'm gonna be ash of war happy, i'll switch out hp flasks for fp. i think the most expensive late game summons are around 130 fp or so

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
to the people putting on six-hour videogamesman videos for “background noise”: have you considered the benefits of some light music, or silence

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

ah, an hour and 40 minute long youtube video, love it, i'll put it right here in my special spot for good things so i can watch it *discreetly tips it into the garbage can*

Saul Kain posted:

Yeah not sure an hour and 40 minute video can be described as “summing up” anything.

RBA Starblade posted:

Seems like a maidenless thing to make, to me

CharlestheHammer posted:

If I want to hear a nerd cry about bosses being to hard I can just read this thread

Found the redditors ITT.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That's somehow not what I thought the dung eater would look like and also exactly like I thought the dung eater would look like at the same time.

the dungeater is ramsey bolton aka reek

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Harrow posted:

The difference tho that by taking that extra time and expanding it out Elden Ring is giving you the unique experience of exploring a stunning creative world

All Noah is giving you is longer before you have to be alone with your thoughts again

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah this is maybe true, but if you wait until you've specifically seen "the boss did not do the combo extension", then it's safe regardless of whether the extension would've been rng or a programmed reaction. There's one point in the attack string where it can chain into a follow-up, and if it's already past that it won't do anything. If you start your own attack early enough that the boss can still react by continuing its combo, that means you attacked before you could possibly know whether or not it was safe to attack and you would've been hit by a non-programmed rng followup too.

I swear the combo extenders only exist to punish greed and boredom. They almost never come out unless you are "too close" (i.e. somehow able to hit them with melee/ranged).

Frankly, I didn't learn from Margit that you're waiting for opening. I learned "some bosses will never give you an opening and necesscitate either trading damage or constantly running away and sniping unless you have incredible patience".

I mean, in theory after some of Margit's combos, you can roll in and get one maybe two attacks off from a quick weapon before having to prepare to dodge the next attack. Technically, the game is giving me a very slight opening. But it's like the most boring and basic style of boss combat. Wait your turn, get one-two hits maybe, retreat, repeat.

I really enjoyed Sekiro. Like, a lot. It's the game that made me give the Dark Souls franchise another look ten years after O&S made me declare the franchise hot garbage. Sekiro's boss fights are very interactive, you're actively watching/listening to the boss and responding. You're never spending 30-60 seconds just running around, trying to bait one or two moves the game will allow you punish the boss with.

I feel like with Elden Ring bosses (actual bosses, not jokes like the Crystalian mini-bosses), are a huge step down from Sekiro and much less enjoyable . They're just "do you have enough damage to not make this a 30 minute fight?" So few actual bosses seem parriable, which was a huge disappointment after Margit's phase 1 had me salivating. Maybe there's more opportunities for punishment than I'm seeing...?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sample_text posted:

Found the redditors ITT.

no, no, this is the something awful forums, reddit is a different website

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

buffalo all day posted:

pretty sure the beast eye only goes off where there's deathroot in the mf'ing building

my point is tho that the game goes into a great deal of detail about what those who live in death are, why they exist and who thinks they are bad and good.

The game doesn't mention once that nobody can die. So it seems like a bit of a jump to assume that is the case

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I've mostly been ignoring armor for my astrologer. Is there any armor i should be seeking? Im still in my starting robes tbh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

whatever you think looks neat but doesn't put you into heavy roll

Big Horse
Jan 16, 2013

Njashi9 posted:

I spent maybe 3.5 hours getting to a point where I could consistently get to phase 2 solo. I was getting frustrated trying to figure out openings in phase 2 that I summoned my +10 mimic tear and beat her in like 2 tries. Honestly I wish I backed up a save to try an "honest" attempt.

It's funny how this game is either the "hardest FromSoft" or "real easy actually" if you just roll up with a fully upgraded S-tier summon.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Xaiter posted:

I swear the combo extenders only exist to punish greed and boredom. They almost never come out unless you are "too close" (i.e. somehow able to hit them with melee/ranged).

Frankly, I didn't learn from Margit that you're waiting for opening. I learned "some bosses will never give you an opening and necesscitate either trading damage or constantly running away and sniping unless you have incredible patience".

I mean, in theory after some of Margit's combos, you can roll in and get one maybe two attacks off from a quick weapon before having to prepare to dodge the next attack. Technically, the game is giving me a very slight opening. But it's like the most boring and basic style of boss combat. Wait your turn, get one-two hits maybe, retreat, repeat.

I really enjoyed Sekiro. Like, a lot. It's the game that made me give the Dark Souls franchise another look ten years after O&S made me declare the franchise hot garbage. Sekiro's boss fights are very interactive, you're actively watching/listening to the boss and responding. You're never spending 30-60 seconds just running around, trying to bait one or two moves the game will allow you punish the boss with.

I feel like with Elden Ring bosses (actual bosses, not jokes like the Crystalian mini-bosses), are a huge step down from Sekiro and much less enjoyable . They're just "do you have enough damage to not make this a 30 minute fight?" So few actual bosses seem parriable, which was a huge disappointment after Margit's phase 1 had me salivating. Maybe there's more opportunities for punishment than I'm seeing...?

Honestly the ai in the game is completely hosed in general and is part of the reason the input reading complaint is so prevalent this time. Like in this webm the issue is not really the fireball on estus press, the issue is why the gently caress are these things so drat passive when you're not actually inputting anything. So many enemies just devolve into this bizarre behaviour when they're waiting for you to do literally anything solely to punish you for trying. And it's not even consistent half the time since on some runs they'll dial the aggression up to 11 for no reason. Malenia does this a lot in phase 1 as well but at least there it's more for the duel trappings and to let the player buff and heal

https://i.imgur.com/RvvzrXo.mp4

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
They're just trying to learn your patterns

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This is why I keep the AI on its toes by not even knowing what I'm going to do until I do it and relying on my twin giant crushers and boiled crab to smooth over the edges of this strategy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ZeusCannon posted:

I've mostly been ignoring armor for my astrologer. Is there any armor i should be seeking? Im still in my starting robes tbh

you need the grave warden cloak op
every proper wizard needs a set of exposed rock-hard abs to wow the enemy before zapping them to death

e:
there is a kitty-cat mask in a catacomb early on that gives +2 int, so you can wear that and embrace your inner furry

e2: you can also just run around shirtless and wear a cool set of pents

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 7, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You'd think people would stop spelling Malenia's name wrong given that she says it every time she stomps you

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Perfect Potato posted:

grow_gonk.gif

Compare Phase 1 Margit to that.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1439567298?tt_medium=mobile_web_share&tt_content=vod

Phase 1 Margit was legit the most fun I've had in ER. That isn't saying the game is bad, it's still quite good. But going toe to toe with a boss, reading his attacks, judging the timing, and punishing the attempts was loving exhilarating. It's the rush Sekiro gave me that no other action game short of Bayonetta has managed to provide.

I still love this loving game. I'm overleveled as poo poo and barely into the game because my sunbro brain demands I spend a whole night standing at each dunegeon entrance and boss door waiting to be summoned. It's a different kind of fun from Sekiro, and that's okay.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

i did greatweapons or bigger on my first run and the variable combos and extensions are much more engaging on my second playthrough with "normal" sized weapons tbh. it feels the openings were tuned for them. small weapons can really go ham but also have more than a few occurrences of not being able to hit things even when rubbing as close to their models as possible bc lol i guess they forgot about daggers.

comparing DS-style combat with sekiro combat is kinda ??? though bc you weren't even supposed to "fight" them, you were supposed to play paddycake with your magical omniblock (or the two flavors of QTE parry ) until they cry uncle

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perfect Potato posted:

Honestly the ai in the game is completely hosed in general and is part of the reason the input reading complaint is so prevalent this time. Like in this webm the issue is not really the fireball on estus press, the issue is why the gently caress are these things so drat passive when you're not actually inputting anything. So many enemies just devolve into this bizarre behaviour when they're waiting for you to do literally anything solely to punish you for trying. And it's not even consistent half the time since on some runs they'll dial the aggression up to 11 for no reason. Malenia does this a lot in phase 1 as well but at least there it's more for the duel trappings and to let the player buff and heal

https://i.imgur.com/RvvzrXo.mp4

Yeah I agree that I think this is the real meat of the "input reading" complaints people have. It's not that enemies react to what the player is doing, it's that sometimes they are only reacting to what the player is doing, just standing there waiting for the player to try something so as soon as the first frame of the animation happens and they're committed, they can pull out a counter that will resolve slightly faster than what the player just did. Most enemies don't actually do this, but it's very noticeable on the ones that are doing it.

It's possible the intention is to encourage people to diversify their playstyle - it seems like the people who struggle the most in the game are the ones that are going for a pure melee, dodge roll only focus (i.e. the way a lot of people learned to git gud in the Dark Souls games), and most of these enemy reactions exist explicitly to make that playstyle harder. There are a lot of very annoying enemies that just become way, way easier if you're dealing with them from range with spells or bows/crossbows, or block/parry their attacks rather than trying to dodge them all. I think the thing is that a lot of people like the back and forth melee rhythm of dodge -> counterattack and so even if they recognize that other approaches do exist, they don't really want to do them because playing that way isn't fun to them.

GloomMouse posted:

i did greatweapons or bigger on my first run and the variable combos and extensions are much more engaging on my second playthrough with "normal" sized weapons tbh. it feels the openings were tuned for them. small weapons can really go ham but also have more than a few occurrences of not being able to hit things even when rubbing as close to their models as possible bc lol i guess they forgot about daggers.

comparing DS-style combat with sekiro combat is kinda ??? though bc you weren't even supposed to "fight" them, you were supposed to play paddycake with your magical omniblock (or the two flavors of QTE parry ) until they cry uncle

Fist weapons have reach issues too - there were times fighting against one of the erdtree avatars where I'd literally be pressed right up into their collision box and it was not possible to move any closer to them, where an R1 would still just straight up whiff. I think the problem is just that the hit detection in the game is really, really precise (mostly) compared to past From games and some attacks simply do not have an animation where the swing will actually intersect with the thing you're targeting because of where the lock-on point is.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 7, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sample_text posted:

Found the redditors ITT.

Not I

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
So I was in Volcano manor when giant polygons started clipping into the sky. I crashed and now it looks like my save file is corrupted. Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if you are close to apostle he doesn't really do that, he's pretty aggressive unless you're hanging back

Xaiter posted:

So few actual bosses seem parriable, which was a huge disappointment after Margit's phase 1 had me salivating. Maybe there's more opportunities for punishment than I'm seeing...?
there are. also a lot of bosses are parriable in this game

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I agree that I think this is the real meat of the "input reading" complaints people have. It's not that enemies react to what the player is doing, it's that sometimes they are only reacting to what the player is doing, just standing there waiting for the player to try something so as soon as the first frame of the animation happens and they're committed, they can pull out a counter that will resolve slightly faster than what the player just did. Most enemies don't actually do this, but it's very noticeable on the ones that are doing it.

It's possible the intention is to encourage people to diversify their playstyle - it seems like the people who struggle the most in the game are the ones that are going for a pure melee, dodge roll only focus (i.e. the way a lot of people learned to git gud in the Dark Souls games), and most of these enemy reactions exist explicitly to make that playstyle harder. There are a lot of very annoying enemies that just become way, way easier if you're dealing with them from range with spells or bows/crossbows, or block/parry their attacks rather than trying to dodge them all. I think the thing is that a lot of people like the back and forth melee rhythm of dodge -> counterattack and so even if they recognize that other approaches do exist, they don't really want to do them because playing that way isn't fun to them.

I don't get why people get so mad about this. Yeah, you can't estus against most bosses when they aren't doing anything. So what? stop doing it and only estus when you have a safe window.

what does a video of a boss doing nothing actually say? If you are trying to win the fight this won't be your experience at all. Part of the reason From's games are so good is because they iterate on boss designs specifically to counter the safest tactics from the last game. Do people want all of the games to just be exactly the same as DS1 where you can trivialize every boss by spinning around them?

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 7, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

dodgeblan posted:

I don't get why people get so mad about this. Yeah, you can't estus against most bosses when they aren't doing anything. So what? stop doing it and only estus when you have a safe window.

Do you think it's unreasonable that people are interpreting "the boss isn't doing anything" as "a safe window"?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do you think it's unreasonable that people are interpreting "the boss isn't doing anything" as "a safe window"?

yes because Margit is specifically designed to teach you that this is not the case. If you don't figure out during fighting Margit that you can't drink when he's not doing anything then I don't know what to tell you.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will never learn to anticipate the crucible knight lunging stab every time I try to take a sip.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sample_text posted:

but I had no idea most of the poo poo in the late-game comes from Sekiro , as I never played that game, due to it having only one weapon.

:goofy:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

yes
when the enemy isn't doing anything that means they are completely free to throw out their fastest attack if they want and you shouldn't do a high-commitment action that they could very easily punish you out of. this has been true since the first games, if you drank estus against Ornstein, Manus, or Artorias when they were doing nothing but pacing around they would lunge at you to punish you.

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 7, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Turpitude posted:

So I was in Volcano manor when giant polygons started clipping into the sky. I crashed and now it looks like my save file is corrupted. Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

use steam to verify the game files. Steam also might have cloud saves that are from an earlier point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I sort of think of it like I am playing a fighting game. Its never correct to assume "Ryu is just standing there, now is a good time to jump at him!"